Infants are born with weak stomach muscles, and not just abdominals required for sitting up. But their internal muscles are not yet mature, which can cause some unfortunate side effects. Typically, this leads to spitting up. However, infant reflux issues can range from unpleasant to downright painful. It can be difficult to watch your baby struggle with these symptoms.
Sometimes, putting your little one in an upright position may help. Some best baby swings, rockers and bouncers can aid in this posture. But you have to be careful when using a rocker for baby with reflux as some may exacerbate the issue, so parental supervision is still necessary when using these items.
This article will cover five top picks of best baby swing for reflux and five baby bouncers that are ideal for colicky baby.
For a quick pick, our winner for best baby swing for reflux category goes to Graco Sense2Soothe Baby Swing with Cry Detection Technology, while for the bouncer category, it is the BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft.
10 Best Baby Swing for Reflux & Baby Bouncer of 2020
My Reflux Baby Can’t Seem to Relax
Acid reflux can be painful. Often this leads to one miserable baby.
What causes infant reflux? The muscle that acts as a sort of valve between the esophagus and the stomach, the lower esophageal sphincter, is under-developed. This can lead to stomach contents making their way back up the esophagus. The Mayo Clinic states that “Reflux occurs in healthy infants multiple times a day”, though if it affects your child’s growth or causes them pain, it is a cause for concern.
The most severe cases require medication, but even mild ones can make your baby uncomfortable. At around four months of age is when most infants have a peak in reflux activity, though it can appear earlier. By one year most have recovered and it is very rare for reflux issues to extend beyond twenty-four months.
Making Reflux Baby More Comfortable
Copious amounts of spit up and wet burps can signal reflux. Arching, coughing, and displays of being in pain are other symptoms. The most severe reflux in babies will make them often fail to gain weight because of an aversion to eating.
It can be very hard to see your little one suffering. Some pediatricians may recommend changing formula, mixing cereal with their milk, or even medication. But these are more likely if your baby’s reflux is more than a modest case.
To relieve occasional symptoms of reflux in babies you can try using a best baby swing for reflux or rocker. The recline, or lack thereof, of some of these baby products, assists with keeping stomach contents down. The gentle motions produced by swings and rockers also helps to soothe fussy little ones.
Using Baby Bouncers and The Best Baby Swing for Reflux Safely
However, even though nighttime can often be the most trying time for parents of babies with reflux, you shouldn’t let your child sleep in a rocker. Swings, bouncers, and rockers are all not safe for extended sleeping, even if they do help with reflux.
However, during the day, feel free to put your reflux baby in them as long as they are supervised and content. The best baby swing for reflux can really come in handy after feedings when babies are most at risk of experiencing the symptoms of reflux.
Further reading: Baby Sleeping in Swing – Is it Really Safe?
But many baby swings and bouncers look alike. So how do you choose the right one?
HOW TO ChoosE THE BEST Reflux-Friendly Seat
Here are a few helpful guidelines and features to consider that can assist you with finding the best baby swing for reflux, rocker, or baby bouncer for reflux.
Adjustable Recline: perhaps the most important feature is an adjustable recline. Often holding your baby relaxed in an upright position is the most foolproof way to prevent reflux. But honestly, who can hold their little one 24/7? Hence, the next best choice is a seated upright position. Bouncers and chairs that have a range of inclines will allow you to find the most comfortable seat positions for your baby.
Shape: reflux babies prefer to be upright, but with one caveat. Their legs shouldn’t be pushed towards their chest, which compresses their stomach. Car seats can be particularly problematic, so avoid items that put them into that curled shape.
Lightweight: the weight of the product is another consideration. If you have a baby prone to spitting up, you will probably want a bouncer or rocker that you can take with you around the house. Some are very lightweight and sleek while others have heavy bases and are intended to be relatively stationary.
Size: this goes hand and hand with weight. Some rockers and swings are compact while others are large. Swings especially can have broad tripod style bases that make them cumbersome to carry around. If you know you will primarily use your item in one area, then size for portability may not matter. The space of your room can also affect your choice on picking the best baby swing for reflux.
You may be interested in: 10 Best Baby Swing for Small Spaces Worth The Money 2020
Limits: many little ones tend to grow out of reflux within the first few months. Almost all children outgrow it by their first birthday. However, some don’t and might need to use the swing or bouncer longer. Additionally, your baby may be taller or heavier than average. Today, most rockers and swings have broad height and weight limits but it never hurts to check.
Calming Features: some bouncers and rockers gently move when your baby does, others go above and beyond with soothing motions. Depending on what your child prefers, you may want one that swings, bounces, vibrates, or does all three!
Some baby swings for reflux and bouncers also come with an entertaining mobile, a fun play bar with toys, or an activity tray to keep the baby occupied, while some are sleek and simple.
Two-in-one: do you want a rocker or a swing, or maybe a bouncer? Instead of buying multiple different seats, you might want to purchase a two-in-one model such as a swing and bouncer combo. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a few features for the two-in-one capability but it can be worth it if you were planning on buying two separate seats.
As with any baby product, be sure to review the quality and safety of the item before you make your final decision.
Great Baby Swings & Bouncers for Reflux Babies
It can be confusing trying to decipher which best baby swing for reflux, bouncer, or rocker to choose. This is especially true because these items are typically some of the more expensive pieces in your baby gear arsenal.
We have compiled ten reflux friendly seats to get you started, divided into five best swings and five best bouncers for your colicky little one.
The 5 Best Baby Swings for Reflux Baby:
1. 4moms mamaRoo 4 Baby Swing
The 4moms mamaRoo 4 Baby Swing is easily one of the most popular baby swings on the market. It is an optimal baby swing for reflux due to the multi-position recline. The removable infant insert ensures that even the youngest suffers can use this seat.
The motions and speeds are versatile, allowing you to try different options to soothe your baby. Additionally, you are able to remotely control the swing from almost any room in your house thanks to the Bluetooth connection.
- Five different motions and speeds
- Four different sounds
- Can be controlled with your phone via Bluetooth
- Cool, breathable mesh fabric that can be wiped clean
- The motor can be noisy
- Some babies outgrow it in terms of length quickly
- Cool mesh fabric – breathable 3D air mesh
- Keep baby cool and comfortable
- 5 unique motions & speeds
2. Graco DuetSoothe Baby Swing and Rocker
The Graco DuetSoothe Baby Swing and Rocker is two great products in one, a swing, and a rocker. Both the swing and rocker feature movements, varying speeds, and sounds. The seat also has a 5 point harness for seat safety and an adjustable recline, helpful for those with reflux symptoms.
The baby swing for reflux is simple to disconnect from the rocker and once disconnected you can carry it around effortlessly with the included carry handle.
- Two products for around the price of one
- Swing is multi-directional
- Swing includes a carry handle for easy transport
- Plush and comfortable inserts
- The wide base is not ideal for small spaces
- The swing seat is the rocker so it is a bit bulky
- Vibration causes loud noises with the battery compartment
- 2 products in 1: Removable infant swing seat doubles as a rocker
- 3 seating positions so baby can sway side to side or swing front to back
- Rocker carry handle allows you to keep baby by your side
3. Fisher-Price Sweet Surroundings Monkey Cradle ‘n Swing
If you are looking for a more compact swing, consider the Fisher-Price Sweet Surroundings Monkey Cradle ‘n Swing. Armed with smart swing technology, this best baby swing for reflux is multi-directional and changes from side-to-side to front-to-back with a simple push of the button. This combined with the optional two reclines will help battle reflux symptoms.
Some little ones also are comforted by music; this swing has sixteen different sounds and songs. The included spinning mobile may also help distract your baby from uncomfortable symptoms.
- Narrow design
- Has six different speeds and sixteen different sounds/songs
- Includes a body and head insert plus 5 point harness
- Cute rotating mobile
- Can be loud upon startup
- Does not swing as fast as some other brands/models
- Not easy to transport
- 2 ways to swing! Side-to-side or head-to-toe
- 2 comfy recline positions
- 6 swing speeds, 16 soothing songs & nature sounds
4. Graco Sense2Soothe Baby Swing with Cry Detection Technology
Perhaps the best baby swing for reflux is the Graco Sense2Soothe Baby Swing with Cry Detection Technology. Not only does it keep the baby semi-upright with a 5 point harness, but it also activates when crying is detected. At the sound of your little one’s cries the swing will turn on and start moving. It will then adjust its speed in an effort to calm your child.
It can be used as a swing or a bouncer, though only the swing makes use of the cry detection. It has a rather heavy base, but the rear wheels make is easier to drag about.
- Cry detection technology activates swing and adjusts settings until Baby is soothes
- 8 different swinging motions, 3 speeds, 2 vibration settings, and 15 sounds
- Motor is quiet
- Has wheels so can be easily dragged closer
- Musical sounds are quiet
- Heavy, not made to be carried around the house
- Some speeds result in a jerky motion
- Multi-direction seat offers more ways to soothe
- 3 adjustable swing speeds ensure finding just the right soothing pace to fit baby's preference
- Vibration with 2 speed settings so baby will remain soothed and content
5. Fisher-Price 2-in-1 Deluxe Soothe ‘n Play Glider
The Fisher-Price 2-in-1 Deluxe Soothe ‘n Play Glider is a best baby swing for reflux alternative. Like others, it is a two in one model as it also includes a rocker. What sets it apart from other swings is that this is a glider with a compact and sturdy base.
It also features an adjustable recline, two different gliding directions, six speeds, and optional vibrations – all of which are helpful in comforting babies experiencing reflux. The plush insert and head support make it safe and keep baby comfortable for even the littlest occupants.
- Has sixteen songs and three sounds
- Lightweight and compact
- Includes plush insert and head support
- Gliding is often gentler than a swinging motion
- Switching directions makes a loud clicking noise
- Fastest speed might be a little too slow for some babies
- Dual motion soothing seat & portable rocker—in one! (Max. weight 25 lb/11,3 kg)
- 2 gliding motions: side-to-side or head-to-toe; 6 speeds
- Calming vibrations, 16 songs & 3 nature sounds, adjustable recline & removable toys
The 5 Best Baby Bouncers for Reflux Baby:
1. Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Deluxe Bouncer
The Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Deluxe Bouncer is a lightweight bouncer that can be easily moved about your house. The seat doesn’t have an adjustable recline but it is deep, which should help with an upright posture.
The vibrations, music, and sounds available are great distractions from painful spit-ups and hiccups. The mobile with hanging toys also makes sitting upright more fun and enjoyable for baby.
- Includes vibrations
- Has music and sounds
- Features a mobile with hanging toys
- The base is skid resistant
- Some babies may outgrow it quickly due to the short length
- If restraint straps are not used baby can easily wiggle down
- Deep & extra-cushy seat with soft, supportive head rest and newborn insert
- Removable mobile with 2 hanging toys, a puppy & a kitty
- Calming vibrations & 20+ minutes of music & sounds
2. BABYBJÖRN Bouncer Balance Soft
One of the most upright bouncers, making it competitive for the title of best bouncer for reflux baby is the BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft. It has three different height positions to accommodate your growing little one. It gently bounces as your baby moves while keeping him/her secure in the seat with 3 point harness. The position that this bouncer keeps your baby in is really helpful for reflux. It closely resembles the upright position doctors recommend reflux sufferers are held in after a feeding.
- Extremely compact and lightweight
- Excellent for travel
- Places baby in a nearly upright position
- Doesn’t require batteries
- Doesn’t bounce or vibrate on its own, the baby must move to bounce it
- Not plush or padded
- Ergonomic baby bouncer – proper head and back support
- Fun and natural rocking that stimulates your baby’s development
- From 8 lbs/21 in (3.5 kg/53 cm) to 29 lbs (13 kg) (approx. for newborns and toddlers up to the age of 2)
3. Bright Starts Vibrating Bouncer with Toy bar
The Bright Starts Vibrating Bouncer with Toy bar has gentle vibrations to soothe a fussy baby. All while cradling them in a semi-reclined position. The bouncer can also be gently rocked with your feet or touch. When you are not able to manually bounce the bouncer, the vibrations can offer soothing relief. It is rather lightweight so you can easily bring it with you from the nursery to the living room or wherever you find yourself!
- Includes vibrations
- Has a toy bar with hanging toys
- Is lightweight and easy to move about
- Fabric is removable and washable
- Not the sturdiest
- Does not include a headrest/head positioner
- Make magical memories with Minnie Mouse
- Made to snuggle and soothe newborns and up
- Includes two pink toys: heart rattle and Minnie mirror
4. BABYBJÖRN Bouncer Bliss
Similar to the Balance Soft the BABYBJÖRN Bouncer Bliss is an upright bouncer with three different reclining positions. In addition to soothing reflux, it can help your baby developmentally with coordination and balance. For effortless transportation, it folds up nicely. The breathable mesh fabric is perfect for warmer months, or babies that run hot. Reflux often comes with a lot of spit up. The washable fabric makes cleanup a breeze.
- Can convert into a toddler chair
- Breathable mesh fabric
- Very compact and slim
- Does not move on its own, baby’s motions must move it
- Perfect bouncer for 0 to 24 months
- Fully supportive structure powered by your baby’s own movements
- Helps your child as they develop balance and motor skills with natural rocking
5. Fisher-Price Baby’s Bouncer
And finally is the Fisher-Price Baby’s Bouncer. This very lightweight and simple bouncer is just enough to keep your colicky baby in a soothing position. It has vibrations to help calm them but also a toy bar with spinning toys for when they want to play. A benefit of bouncers is that they are easy to carry around, so your baby can experience relief no matter where you go. The machine washable fabrics are easy on and off so you can effortlessly combat copious amounts of spit-up.
- Lightly padded seat pad
- Machine washable fabrics
- Easy to carry and move around
- No music or sounds
- Vibrations may be considered very light
- No adjustable reclining positions
- Bounces along to your baby's natural movements
- Removable toy bar with 2 bat-at spinners & 1 monkey rollerball
- Calming vibrations help soothe baby
The Winners of Our Soothing Selection
All these products are great options to help get your reflux baby in a soothing position. But which takes the cake for best baby chair for reflux?
In the best baby swing for reflux category, the winner for us is the Graco Sense2Soothe Baby Swing with Cry Detection Technology. Not only does this swing help with keeping your child upright, but it also actively works to soothe them when they cry. The gentle swinging motion combined with vibrations and pleasant sounds further calm colicky little ones.
In the bouncer category, it is the BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft that wins our hearts. This chair keeps your little one in a nearly upright position, likely decreasing the effects of reflux. The soft fabric and gentle motions from your baby’s movements help make your baby feel more at ease in the seat, providing a soothing sensation when coping with reflux.
Last update on 2020-10-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API