Choosing from the best infant strollers is one of the toughest decisions you’ll make after having a baby. Whether you’re running errands, taking a vacation, or going for your morning run, your stroller will be one of your frequently used baby gear.
But how do you choose which one to buy?
Spending a little time learning about top baby strollers for your infant can help you make this decision easily. This quick guide covers questions frequently asked by parents, like how to choose the best top-rated infant strollers in the market.
Before we go into details, here are our top 5 picks:
- Best Overall: UPPABaby Vista V2
- Best Full Feature Lightweight: Graco NimbleLite Travel System
- Most Affordable: Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller
- Best High-End: Bugaboo Donkey 3
- Best for Jogging: Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Travel System
The Best Infant Strollers of the Year
The Best Infant Strollers: Frequently Asked Questions
Becoming a parent takes practice, and you learn on the job every day. Luckily, you’re not the first parent who has come up with questions about buying the best infant strollers.
We have compiled a small list of frequently asked questions parents ask when buying a stroller for their baby. These include:
When can my baby sit in a stroller?
Somewhere between five and seven months, your baby becomes strong enough to sit upright by themselves. This means that the stroller you buy should have multiple reclining positions to accommodate their growing independence.
When can my baby go in a stroller without a car seat?
Transitioning to an infant stroller without car seat depends on your child’s growth and development. Parents can consider putting the stroller in a sitting position as soon as their baby begins to support themselves in an upright position.
When can a baby go in a front-facing stroller?
There is no standard time for a baby to go in a front-facing stroller. As the baby grows, they become more interested in their surroundings, and this is the ideal time for having them face forward in a baby stroller.
Is shopping for an infant stroller the same for a newborn stroller?
Shopping for an infant stroller is almost the same as shopping for a newborn stroller with just a few minor differences.
Firstly, no parent buys a stroller for just the newborn stage, so they expect it to last for a while, at least a couple of years. Secondly, the key difference between buying a newborn stroller or a small infant stroller is the reclining position.
Newborns need a fully reclining option since they cannot sit upright, while infants and toddlers prefer sitting upright with multiple recline options for comfort.
How to Choose the Best Infant Stroller
Choosing the right infant baby stroller for you and your baby depends on many different factors. What works for you might not work for others for different reasons.
You’ll want to make sure that you’re getting the best option for your dollar, so you need to ask yourself questions like:
- Where will you use it?
- How easy is it to use?
- How long do you plan to use it?
- How do I check if the stroller is safe?
Here are the key features or attributes you should consider when before buying the best stroller for infant:
Belts and Safety Straps
A 5-point safety harness with adjustable heights should be your priority, especially if you’re taking your kid out on a jog or workout. Safety should never be overlooked, and the 5-point safety harness is one of the essential features of a stroller.
Cushions and Padding
If your child isn’t comfortable, there’s no point in buying the stroller. Cushions and padding keep your infant comfy and also protect them from the impact on bumpy roads or collisions.
Option to Recline
Any good stroller should have the option to recline for additional comfort. Naturally, your infant might want to take a nap, and if your stroller doesn’t recline, they might sleep uncomfortably.
The ideal weight of a stroller should be between 10-15 lbs. A lighter stroller is easier to carry and move around. However, lighter strollers often lack space and comfort while being prone to damage.
Get a stroller that is not a hassle to carry yet offers you the features you need to bring your baby around comfortably.
Try picking out a stroller with a seat made up of breathable mesh material, which allows air ventilation as the stroller moves around.
We also recommend buying a stroller with a peekaboo window, which not only allows more air through but functions primarily as a window for parents to watch their kids.
Most strollers come with a shade canopy to protect infants from sunlight and heat. Many canopies offer additional features like peekaboo windows and UV50+ protection.
Ease of Folding
Folding capability is among the basic features of a stroller. The easier it is to fold, the easier it is to carry around, especially when traveling.
You can also find different folding options, such as one-hand or single-step folding, as value-added features.
Strollers come with storage to keep baby essentials and personal belongings. Diapers, clothes, bottles, and wipes are just a few items you could carry while strolling around with your child.
The 10 Top-Rated Infant Strollers in the Market in 2021
After understanding your requirements in a stroller in terms of size, features, and attributes, you can choose the most suitable infant baby stroller. Check out these 10 best infant strollers available in the market in 2021
1. Delta Children Revolve Reversible Stroller
When it comes to quality and versatility, very few strollers come close to the Delta Children Revolve Reversible Stroller. Its clever design allows you to adjust its features to ensure that you and your kid get the most out of it.
It has a fully reversible seat so you can face you or the world. The canopy offers UV light protection and has a peek-a-boo window so you can see your infant at all times.
You can adjust the handlebar according to your height and push the stroller with ease. It comes with a 5-point safety harness, which is an essential safety feature any stroller should have.
The frame isn’t the lightest, but it’s still easy to move around. The 10-inch wheels enable a bumpy-free ride, and you can easily store it with a one-handed fold system. The stroller grows with your baby, so you won’t have to buy replacements or additions down the road.
- An all-wheel suspension system for a smooth journey
- Fully reversible seat
- Durable steel frame
- Ideal for infants up to 50 lbs
- One hand fold
- Spacious storage for baby essentials
- Not so easy to set up with one hand
- Basket may occasionally get stuck on the tires
- REVERSIBLE SEAT STROLLER: Rear and forward-facing reversible seat allows your child to face you or the world | Ideal for infants through 50 lbs. | Convert stroller into convenient travel system with car seat adapter #10080 (sold separately)
- ONE HAND FOLD: One-handed middle fold is compact & quick | Allows you to tend to you child with one hand and fold the stroller with your other | ADJUSTABLE HANDLEBAR: Leather wrapped handlebar with multiple positions to accommodate parents of all heights
- OVERSIZED CANOPY: Knit canopy with extendable zippered peek-a-boo | TONS OF STORAGE: Spacious bin keeps essentials within reach | KEEPS KIDS COMFY: Removable child bar for easy loading/unloading |Reclining seat/adjustable footrest provides ultimate comfort.To clean the plastic parts on stroller use a mild cleaning solution with warm water on a sponge or damp cloth
2. BRITAX B-Lively Stroller
If you’re a looking for an infant stroller that is travel system ready, then the Britax B-Lively Lightweight Stroller is what you need. It also has an infinite recline so your infant can either enjoy the walk in the park upright or nap on the go on a flat position.
This stroller is among the smallest folded options, which makes it easier to carry. Its compact yet durable aluminum frame makes it easy to store and navigate through narrow spaces, making it a great contender as the lightest stroller for infants.
Like most of the best infant strollers, the B-Lively stroller sports an all-wheel suspension for a wonderful maneuverability in the city and smoother terrains. With a max weight limit of 55 lbs, you can expect years of use for kids up to 6 years old out of this sturdy thing.
This stroller model also has an option for families with twins or two kids – the Britax B-Lively Double Stroller.
- Infinite recline options
- Foam-filled tires that won’t go flat
- Car seat convertible
- Quick single hand folding
- Linked braking system by stepping on a single lever
- UV50+ ventilated canopy shields for sun protection
- Basket space is rather small
- No cup holder or tray
- Not suitable for rough terrain
- The B-lively stroller is lightweight with all wheel suspension for smooth rides and one-hand, quick fold makes it easy to store and go
- Convenient features: XL storage basket with front access, ventilated UV 50+ canopy, large zipper pocket and peek a boo window
- Relax and recline: Infinite stroller seat recline to accommodate sleeping infants or attentive toddlers
3. Bugaboo Donkey 3
If you’re in the market for a high-end option, the Bugaboo Donkey 3 is one of the best infant strollers in 2021. The Donkey 3 has three different riding options depending on your family size – the Donkey Mono, Donkey Duo and Donkey Twin.
As a full-sized luxury stroller, the Donkey 3 speaks nothing but versatility for parents who want a stroller that grows with family. This Bugaboo stroller is expandable to a double stroller, and has all the features in the perfect infant stroller: Great side storage, comfortable seat that can be reversed and reclined nearly flat, adjustable peekaboo sun canopy for better ventilation.
With the Donkey 3, you don’t have to worry about pushing past narrow doorways with its compact built, even when expanded to a double or twin stroller. Attach a bassinet or car seat to let your infant nap soundly as you stroll out, or put your baby in the seat for a smooth ride out.
For a more detailed look at this stroller, check out our Bugaboo Donkey 3 review.
- Car seat compatible with Maxi Cosi and Nuna car seats
- Versatile front-facing and rear-facing seat that supports up to 50 lbs
- Click-connect adapter to change from mono to double or twin stroller
- 360-degree pivoting adjustable handlebar
- Large foam wheels for a smooth ride
- Can self-stand after folding
- Separate car seat adapter purchase
- New for Donkey 3: Improved aesthetics, for a cleaner and sleek look. Improved bassinet, with handy extra pockets in front. Improved sun canopy, with peekaboo window and breezy panel. New rotating carry handle. Improved side-luggage basket design with zip-closure.
- Effortless Expansion: This stroller accommodates a single child, infant (w/included bassinet) - toddler (48 lbs.). It transforms to meet your growing family's needs into a Duo for two children (w/Duo Extension Set, sold separately) or Twin for twins (w/Duo Extension Set and Bassinet Fabric Complete - sold separately).
- Spacious Storage: Equipped with both a side luggage basket & under-seat basket that each hold up 22lbs.
4. Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System
The Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System is a high-quality, durable, multi-functional, and affordable infant stroller. It is a great option for parents who want a stroller for everyday use but don’t want to break the bank.
This 3-in-1 stroller will serve you well, from the child’s infancy to toddlerhood. It offers six different seating modes, including reclining positions for nap times. Many parents assume that due to its low price, it is an infant stroller without car seat.
However, the Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System actually includes a Safemax infant car seat with a Safezone base for extra protection. Overall, if you’re an active and busy parent, look no further than this light, safe, and versatile travel system that is perfect for the city.
- A seat that fully reclines and converts to bassinet mode
- A large basket under the seat
- Cup holder for parents and child tray included
- Pocket-friendly price
- Quick switch between the regular seat and infant car seat
- Fixed handlebar height not suitable for parents taller than 6 feet
- Not suitable for all-terrain
- FLEXIBLE INFANT TRAVEL SYSTEM: The Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System is a car seat and stroller combo featuring the SafeMax Rear-Facing Infant Car Seat and SafeZone Base with anti-rebound bar, infused with parent-and child-friendly accessories.
- VERSATILE & LIGHTWEIGHT: This car seat and stroller combo features a modular frame with 6 modes. The reversible mode permits your baby to face in or out, while the stroller coverts from an infant car seat frame to stroller seat or carriage mode with ease.
- EASY INFANT CAR SEAT TRANSFER: This car seat and stroller combo has been designed with a stay-in-car base that allows for a quick and safe infant car seat connection from stroller to car and vice-versa.
5. Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Travel System
The Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Travel System has made quite a reputation in the market as one of the best infant strollers. This budget stroller is among the cheapest options for active parents looking for great tires, maneuverability, storage, and safety features.
The Jogger Travel System fits for children up to 50 pounds and comes with a five-point harness system for safety. When you’re done with your morning or evening jog, you can easily slide it into your trunk after folding it up nicely.
Its small size and weight make it easier to lift and fit. It doesn’t have an adjustable handlebar, but its rubber covering offers a better grip. The big bicycle tires with front wheel lock makes jogging a breeze.
This jogging stroller is one that offers plenty of features that give you value for your money.
- The large all terrain tires allow for a smoother ride in rough terrain
- Easily fits into car trunks
- Babies up to 30 lbs can use the infant car seat
- Fits children up to 50 lbs
- Adjustable 5-point safety harness with tether strap
- Comes with parent and child trays with cup holders
- Car seat not so comfortable
- Handlebar not adjustable
- Large bicycle tires roll effortlessly over all surfaces
- Convenient Parent Tray with 2 Cupholders
- Front Swivel Wheel for easy maneuvering, locks for jogging
6. Maxi-Cosi Zelia Max 5-in-1 Modular Travel System
If you’re in the market for features that include safety, ease of use, functionality, style, and space, the Maxi-Cosi Zelia Max 5-in-1 Modular Travel System should easily cover everything on your wish list. The travel system includes the Zelia Stroller, a bassinet, and an infant car seat as well.
Use it as a stroller for newborn or younger infant thanks to the fully reclining option, or as a sturdy stroller for walking for toddler up to 50 pounds. Thanks to its versatile modes, simply switch between the different riding configurations so your baby can either face you or face the world.
Parents will appreciate the adjustable handlebar, while your little one has a removable bumper bar to hold on to. The canopy is large enough to cover your infant from the harsh elements with peekaboo mesh window for ventilation and parental supervision.
You can remove the fabrics easily for washing machine cleaning. And the best part of it is that you don’t need to rethread the harness after removal.
- Machine washable fabric for convenient cleaning
- Features a parent cup holder
- Can recline fully for sleeping infants
- Adjustable handlebar for parents of differing heights
- Lightweight with compact folding
- Great sun shade coverage & huge storage space
- Wheels feel flimsy due to lack of shock absorption
- Attaching car seat to the stroller can be tricky
- Rear facing: 4 to 30 pounds and upto 32 inches, Stroller: Upto 50 pounds
- Air protect superior side impact protection
- Adjustable, stay in car base with rebound protection. Adult Assembly Required, No Tools Needed
7. UPPABaby Vista V2 Stroller
The UPPABaby Vista V2 is among the best infant strollers available in the market today. It is a high-quality stroller that can potentially move three kids at the same time thanks to its versatile seating options.
You can switch between the MESA infant car seat and the toddler seat (RumbleSeat) that come with the stroller as your young infant grows into a fine toddler, up to 50 lbs. Add on a standing board for an older sibling so you can bring all your kids out for a fun family ride.
This one-step fold stroller has a solid frame for durability. It also features an adjustable handlebar, extendable sun visor, large storage, no rethread harness, all at a premium quality.
However, this stroller carries a higher price tag, which is completely justifiable, considering the attention to details put into its quality.
Perhaps you are considering between the Vista and Cruz? Consider reading our UPPABaby Vista vs Cruz review to help you decide between the two.
- Reversible seating option for front-facing and parent-facing view
- Telescoping handlebar for height adjustment
- Convenient no rethread safety harness
- Great all-wheel suspension for a comfortable soft ride
- Converts from a single stroller to a double and triple stroller
- Suitable for infant twins by attaching bassinets
- Storage basket that holds up to 30 lbs
- On the heavier side
- Not suitable for off-roading and rough terrain
- Enjoy a softer ride pushing one child (or three!) over any ground surface thanks to a new spring-action all-wheel suspension and slightly softer tires.
- Extended canopies on the toddler seat and RumbleSeat accessory include zip out fabric that provide even more shade from the sun. Mesh panels also make it easy to peek in while adding airflow.
- A higher back and deeper foot rest on the toddler seat provide added comfort for growing children
8. Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller
The Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller is one of the cheapest options in the market and the cheapest on this list. If you’re on a budget or not interested in high-end fancy features, this stroller is perfect for you.
The 3Dlite offers all the basic features any stroller should and fits all the criteria for an on-the-go stroller. Easy to use, lightweight with big storage basket and a seat that can recline nearly flat, this stroller is certainly convenient to be used as a travel stroller for your infant.
The 3Dlite is also a lightweight stroller perfect for daily activities around the neighborhood.
- Weighs just around 12 lbs
- Easy to fold and unfold
- Reclines smoothly
- Large storage basket
- Machine Washable Fabric
- Canopy storage pocket gets in the way of handling your baby
- Poor balance when loaded without the baby to balance it out
- LIGHTWEIGHT – A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier! The Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller has a durable aluminum frame that weighs just 13 pounds and has a large seat area, plus anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels
- FOR TRAVEL AND EVERYDAY – Whether you’re traveling or just on the go running everyday errands, having a lightweight, compact stroller is a must! With this one easy to use stroller, you’ll have both an everyday and travel stroller option
- 4-POSITION RECLINE - Keep your little one comfortable and safe at all times with the 4 position recline and 5 point safety harness. Maximum weight of child for this toddler stroller: 50 pounds. No lateral bar
9. Graco NimbleLite Travel System
For parents looking for organization and instant access to baby essentials, the GracoNimbleLite Travel System is the perfect stroller for you. The NimbleLite Travel system includes a lightweight stroller and an infant seat. This stroller is suitable for your infant up to 4 years of age.
It weighs less than 15 lbs and features a parent’s tray with storage and cup holders for both parent and child. It is a single-fold compact stroller suitable for on-the-go usage, and the car seat has a one-step secure attachment for quick and convenient switching.
However, this best lightweight infant stroller is rear-facing only and does not have an adjustable handlebar. Even so, the pros outweigh the cons, so if you are keen on a lightweight stroller that can offer you full features at a great price tag, this is for you.
- Car seat, stroller cover, and car seat base included
- Parent’s tray and cup holders offer additional storage
- Also has a child belly bar and cupholder
- Multi-position reclining seat for baby’s comfort
- Super lightweight design for easy transport
- One-step compact fold
- Seat is rear-facing only
- Rubber wheels aren’t durable
- Small storage basket compared to other options
- Fully-featured lightweight stroller weighs less than 15 lb, perfect for adventures on the go
- Includes the Graco SnugRide 35 Lite Infant Car Seat, rear-facing from 4-35 lb and up to 32"
- Parent's tray with cup holders and storage keeps your essentials nearby
10. Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Travel System
For parents who want a convenient single hand fold stroller that has ready to attach infant car seat without any base, the Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Travel System is just what you need.
This sleek yet agile stroller offers wonderful maneuverability with its quality rubber tires and all-wheel suspension. Your baby can stay snug in the infant car seat with a five-point harness system for safety.
You can easily fold down the stroller and have the car seat installed securely in the car or even when riding the taxi. The travel system is also durable enough for daily strolls with your growing infant up to toddlerhood until your child reaches 50 lbs.
If you have two kids, you can buy the Baby Jogger Mini GT2 Double Stroller.
- Highly maneuverable
- Extremely durable framework
- Machine washable fabric
- One-hand single fold for convenient storage
- Self-stand option which protects the seat from getting dirty
- Rubber wheels make it perfect for all-terrain
- Not suitable for jogging despite the rubber tires
- Small stroller storage basket
- Includes City Mini Gt2 stroller + City GO 2 Infant Car seat. It's everything you need to stroll from day one. Infant car seat holds children 4-35 lb and up to 32"; Stroller holds toddlers up to 50 lb
- Forever air rubber tires with all-wheel suspension provides uncompromised agility on any terrain so you can easily go from City street to trail
- Lightweight stroller with compact 3-wheel design is remarkably nimble and ready for adventure; folds compactly with 1 hand for easy storage
The Bottom Line
Choosing from the best infant strollers shouldn’t be a difficult decision if you know what you’re looking for. We’re confident that our list of top-rated infant strollers will make the purchase decision easier for parents.
Our overall best stroller for infant goes to UPPABaby Vista V2 due to its versatile riding options and that this quality stroller can grow with the family.
If budget isn’t an issue and you’re looking for the best high-end options, then look no further than Bugaboo Donkey 3 that is worth getting for its premium comfort. If you’re on a budget, the Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller is our recommended choice.
Ultimately, it all comes down to what you’re looking for in a stroller. So which one is your favorite? Tell us in the comments!
Last update on 2021-06-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API