Is your nursery small, and you are worried about how you can fit a full-sized crib alongside other baby gear?
Been there, done that. Especially with my third kid. The solution to this problem might simply be a small crib for babies.
Before you let the thought of having to compromise on style or comfort take over your train of thoughts, I’m gonna stop you right there!
Simply because these space-saving cribs are just as beautiful and comfy as full-size cribs! Not to mention, you can use them if you share the bedroom with your baby and have limited space for a crib.
Let’s discuss what makes the best mini crib, how to pick one, and what options there are, shall we?
- What is A Mini Crib?
- Mini Cribs: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Quick Comparison
- The 8 Best Mini Cribs
- 1. DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib – Best Overall
- 2. Babyletto Origami Mini Portable Folding Crib – Best Foldable
- 3. Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Baby Crib – Best Budget
- 4. Stokke Sleepi Mini Bundle
- 5. Babyletto Gelato 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- 6. Bloom Alma Mini Crib
- 7. DaVinci Autumn 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- 8. Dream On Me Aden 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- Choosing a Mini Crib: Things to Know
Mini cribs are suitable for babies from birth to 24 months, or as long as the baby is under 45 pounds.
They are less expensive and often foldable. Parents and caretakers with small nurseries love using a mini crib as a primary crib. These lifesavers can also double as a second crib at grandparents’ home or for frequent travels.
Related: Best Travel Cribs
Mini cribs serve the same purpose as full-size baby cribs but take less space.
But! Because of their difference in weight limitations and overall size, regular cribs can be used for more years to come.
Usually, kids stop sleeping in their cribs when they reach four years of age. However, in the case of mini cribs, most kids overgrow them when they reach two.
Mini crib mattress measurements are 24 inches in width and 38 inches in length. These mattresses are four inches narrower and 14 inches shorter than the size of standard crib mattresses.
Mini cribs bedding and mattress are rarely included in the price. Oftentimes, you will have to purchase them separately if you wish for any attachment for the crib.
Apart from that, these cribs are often portable and come with included wheels – which directly translate to easier to fold and store!
Some models on the market can even be transformed into a daybed or a toddler bed. However, once again, you’ll have to buy the attachments separately.
Mini cribs are practical for many reasons.
The size of a mini crib is convenient for shared nurseries. So if you are expecting twins, two mini cribs are an ideal solution for limited space. The same applies to sharing a nursery with an older kid.
Editors’ Note: The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends room sharing for the first six months after birth because it is believed to lower the risk of SIDS.  Therefore, miniature cribs are practical because they are easier to install in your bedroom without eventual or constant furniture readjusting.
With small cribs, you get almost all the features and benefits as with full-size cribs. For example, mini convertible cribs can be used for years as toddler beds. Therefore, instead of buying a full-size toddler bed, you can opt to purchase just the attachments.
Because of the convenience offered by mini crib size, these baby gear can fit almost anywhere – in tight spaces, smaller rooms, and even in small car trunks. Mini cribs are also significantly lighter, so you can easily move them by yourself.
A mini crib with wheels is an excellent option for homes with many bedrooms and can be used in the same way as a newborn pack ‘n play. In addition, most small baby cribs are less expensive than standard cribs.
The only downside to these crib alternatives is that they can only be used for a shorter time than the standard, full-sized model. You’ll probably still need a larger crib at some point as your baby grows bigger and healthier!
Apart from the obvious, I personally also find shopping for mini crib sheets troublesome because the dimensions aren’t standardized – but hey, it could be a regional issue.
Take a quick look at the following table to get familiar with the best mini cribs on the market.
If you are looking for information below a surface level, more recommendations and information on small cribs will be in the sections below!
Enter the world of best mini cribs and learn more about convertible and portable models, the rolling and classical, and more!
DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib is a gold standard in mini cribs. It is durable and can be converted to a mini toddler bed, day bed, or twin-size bed with the appropriate attachments.
When you use it as a crib, there are four mattress positions, so your crib can grow with your baby.
The crib is Greenguard Gold certified, which means it guarantees a healthy sleep environment. You can rest assured in using it until the baby overgrows 35 inches of 50 pounds.
- Available with a mattress in a bundle
- Four positions for the mattress
- 4i-in-1 product – a money-saving option
- Available in five attractive colors
- Made from sturdy cherry and oak wood
- Railings and attachments are sold separately
- Caster wheels would be an excellent addition
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- GROWS WITH BABY: Four adjustable mattress positions to lower as your baby begins to sit and stand. Converts to mini toddler bed, daybed, and twin-size bed (mini toddler conversion kit #M20399 and twin-size conversion kit #M4799 sold separately)
- QUALITY MATERIAL: Made of solid sustainable New Zealand pinewood and TSCA compliant engineered wood -only the best for your baby
The nursery mini crib Babyletto is a modern-looking piece of baby gear, available in pastel shades. It is a stylish crib suitable for babies from birth to 18 months.
You can use the Babyletto Origami Mini Portable Folding Crib until the baby is taller than 35 inches or starts to attempt climbing on the railing.
The frame of this crib is easily foldable and removable for effortless access. Also, it comes with a set of caster wheels so you can move the crib around the home. I love how the wheels are removable and lockable for safety and ease of mind!
The crib is stylish, and if you are building a baby girl nursery, you’ll easily find the decorative and practical elements you might need.
I recommend the OldPapa mosquito net, as it will be perfect to keep pesky bugs away from your snoozing little princess! The mini crib and net are both also available in the color scheme that matches whatever your boys love!
The Origami model includes a 1-inch thick mattress pad and has two adjustable mattress positions.
Did I forget to mention that it is a product made from sustainable material -pine wood from New Zealand? That means choosing the Babyletto crib is good for the environment!
- Available in neutral and pastel colors
- Crib and mattress in a bundle available for purchase
- Covered with a non-toxic finish
- Covered with a non-toxic finish
- Stylish and modern design
- Only two positions for the mattress
- Complex assembly
- URBAN STYLE AND SIZE: Designed for urban living with a foldable frame with removable, locking caster wheels for easy storage and transport. It's a smart and stylish alternative to a bassinet, suitable for a growing babe from newborn to beyond 18 months. Safe to use until 35" tall or starting to climb.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: The Origami has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- ADJUSTABLE MATTRESS HEIGHT: The low-profile design and 2 adjustable mattress positions make it easy to put a newborn to rest. The Origami is a standard mini size crib which includes a 1" mattress pad. We recommend additional support with our Pure by babyletto mini crib mattress (37" x 23.5").
The Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Baby Crib comes in four colors. The cherry model is the most expensive, and the white alternative is the most affordable one.
The crib features a small, yet sturdy and durable caster wheel on the legs. Therefore, it is easy to move around when you need to.
On the plus side, I liked that the mattress is included with my purchase and the Delta Children mini crib is quite simple to fold. When you fold the crib, the mattress comes inside it and doesn’t get in the way.
Additionally, the crib is certified for safety and has two adjustable mattress positions.
- GREAT CRIB FOR SMALL SPACES OR TRAVEL: Crib includes casters for easy mobility; Folds flat for easy travel and storage; The included mattress (size: 37.5 Inches L x 23.25 Inches D x 1.5 Inches ) stores right in the crib when folded
- GROWS WITH BABY: The 2 position mattress height adjustment on this crib allows you to lower the mattress as your baby begins to sit or stand
- BUILT TO LAST: Strong and sturdy wood construction helps create a dream nursery where you’ll spend plenty of Mommy and Me/Daddy and Me time; Easy assembly
If you want a hassle-free purchase, I recommend the Stokke Sleepi Mini Bundle. A mini crib, drape rod, and mattress are all included in the price.
The crib itself s of an oval shape, which provides a cozy and nest-like sleeping environment for your baby. You can purchase additional items from Stokke to transform the crib over the years and prolong its use.
The crib can be transformed into a mini-bed and a full-size kid’s bed. Additionally, the manufacturers offer a bed extension so you can use the crib until the baby reaches 18 months.
The crib features caster wheels and a neutral color design, so it will fit into every nursery easily!
- Compact, oval-shape design for maximum comfort and space-saving
- Smart buy – considering what the bundle includes
- Easy to assemble
- Additional accessories are pricey
- Without the bed extension, the crib is only good for the baby’s first six months
Stokke Sleepi Mini Bundle
- Unique oval shape creates a nest for your baby.
- Flexible bed that grows with the child from approx. 0-10 years.
- Height adjustable mattress bottom makes lifting baby in and out easier.
- Lockable swivel wheels make it easy to move from room to room.
Babyletto Gelato 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib is made from sustainable Pinewood from New Zealand. The wood is TSCA compliant and the mini crib is GreenGuard Gold certified for low chemical use.
The mini crib has a convertible design and two available kits for transformation. You can buy the kit to transform the mini crib into a daybed and toddler bed. Also, Babyletto offers a twin bed conversion kit that is compatible with the crib.
Overall, the crib is a great choice for smaller places, and because it is available in neutral colors, it will fit in most nursery decor. Additionally, most of the crib mobiles are easy to mount on this crib. You can check the Let’s Make Wooden Mobile and get the non-toxic, hypoallergenic attachment for your baby.
However, I personally would like the crib more if it were foldable or came with removable lockable caster wheels.
- Neutral design
- Non-toxic finish
- The crib sheets and mattress are easy to find because it is standard mini crib size
- Comes with mattress
- The included mattress is thin
- Time-consuming assembly
- PLAYFUL COMPACT DESIGN: Bring the joy and versatility of a mini crib into a parents bedroom, shared nursery or small space without compromising on style! It's suitable for a newborn to beyond 18 months.
- 4-IN-1 CONVERTABILITY: Transitions from crib to toddler bed and daybed, with a toddler bed conversion kit (M12999 sold separately). For the big kid years, the Gelato converts from crib to twin with a twin bed conversion kit (M5789 sold separately).
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: The Gelato Mini has been tested for over 10,000 chemicals and VOC's. It contributes to clean indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
Bloom Alma Mini Crib fits babies from 0 to 12 months only. It is the smallest mini crib by Bloom and an excellent choice for people who live in small apartments. The crib is foldable and serves as an alternative to a bassinet.
Related: Bassinet VS Crib
It is a bit pricier than other items within similar mini crib age range, but it packs a lot. The crib is made from American beech wood, features low VOCs, water-based finish, formaldehyde, and MDF free.
It also features two adjustable mattress positions.
- Compact, easily fits through doorways
- Easy to move because of the wheels
- Slim when folded
- No tools needed for folding
- Limited use
- Ideal for next-to-bed sleeping & late night feeding
- Fits easily through small & standard doorways
- Patented slim fold for easy storage no-tools-required assembly in under 5 minutes
- Complete 360* breathability for all important airflow
DaVinci Autumn 4-in-1 Convertible Crib is easily recognizable by the high headboard, as a stylish detail. The crib can be used as a baby’s first crib, toddler bed, day bed, and full-size bed. But, you need to purchase the additional railings and proper size mattresses for it to work.
As a crib, the Autumn model has four adjustable mattress positions, so you can use it for longer.
Also, the product is made from solid pine wood and GreenGuard Gold certified for low chemical use.
- Stylish design
- Practical and modular crib
- Four mattress positions
- Strong constructions
- No caster wheels
- Somewhat bulkier than other models from the list
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- GROWS WITH BABY: Four adjustable mattress positions that can be lowered as your baby begins to sit and stand Easily converts to toddler bed, daybed, and full-size bed (toddler conversion kit #M3099 and full-size conversion kit #M5789 sold separately)
- QUALITY MATERIAL: Made of solid sustainable New Zealand pinewood and TSCA compliant engineered wood
The Dream on Me makes excellent full-size cribs and in this case, a great mini crib. The color range for a mini crib is exceptional, and you get to choose between ten beautiful shades.
Dream On Me Aden 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib has a small footprint, so it easily fits into all nurseries. Because it is a convertible model, it is compatible with a twin-size rail and bed frame. These additional items are all sold separately.
As a crib, the Aden model features three positions for mattresses to allow you more comfortable use.
- Ten colors available
- Convertible model
- Three adjustable mattress positions
- Despite its narrow footprint, the crib is spacious inside
- Difficult assembly
- Confusing instructions
- LONG LASTING - Made of New Zealand pinewood, the Aden 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib is both durable and stylish. A clean design and small footprint allow it to fit into any nursery theme. All tools for assembly are included
- 4-in-1 CONVERTIBILITY OPTIONS - The Aden grows along with your child. You can convert the crib into a mini daybed and a twin size bed and it has a convenient 3-position mattress support system(Twin Size Rail and Bed frame sold separately)
- YOUR SAFETY MATTERS - The Aden 4-in-1 is JPMA Certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM. All of our products are tested by 3rd party labs for lead and other toxic elements to meet or exceed CPSC and ASTM safety standards
Mini crib reviews are a great source of information for mini cribs, but let’s take a closer look at some of the most important factors to consider when shopping for a small crib.
The mini crib needs to be tested for safety and made with non-toxic materials, especially if you are looking to set up an eco-friendly nursery. Safety is not negotiable when it comes to cribs. The construction needs to be sturdy enough to support your baby.
Moreover, you can check the following criteria recommended by AAP to ensure mini crib safety: 
- Mattress firmness: The ideal mattress is firm, and doesn’t sag under the baby’s weight.
- Gaps: The distance between two bars needs to be a maximum of 2 3/8 inches.
- Drop rails: Cribs with drops rails aren’t 100% safe.
- Headboards and footboards: These need to be solid.
Mini cribs aren’t standardized, which means they have different measurements and weight and age limitations. Most mini cribs are good until the baby turns two or three years old, but some smaller ones can only be used in the first year, one such example from the list is the Bloom Alma Mini Crib.
If you haven’t figured out where your baby will be sleeping once it turns one, pick a product with prolonged use, ideally a convertible model to accommodate your child’s growth spurt!
Also, remember to check the weight requirements as they significantly differ based on the construction and the material used.
You may be interested in: Best Cribs for Short Moms
Pick an easy-to-fold crib with caster wheels if you plan to use it as a portable mini crib, in a second home, a grandparent’s home, etc.
Small cribs are more affordable than standard cribs. But, you can get higher-end models as well. The use of materials, brand’s name, design, and use dictates the price.
Find out if the mattress is included in the price and how long you can safely use the crib. It is the best way to determine if the mini crib is worth the price.
Consider investing in an automatic rocking bassinet as a cheaper alternative if cribs are way too over your budget.
Are you searching for a compact crib and still having some unsolved dilemmas? Check the section below!
The answer depends on your needs. If you have a small nursery and/or twins, a mini crib can be a comfortable and space-saving option.
Parents who choose convertible compact cribs are good to go for years, as long as they get the toddler bed railings. Mini cribs are also one of the many crib alternatives for parents who want additional sleeping options for their babies.
All cribs are regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC),  including the mini ones. They are safe to use as long as you follow the weight and age specifications stated on the product printing manual.
My top pick is DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib! I prefer it over other mini cribs because of its sturdy construction and four positions for its mattress! Also, the crib is convertible and can grow with the baby.
Which is your favorite mini crib? If I didn’t include your top picks, why not add them in the comment section and let us know about another great product?
I hope you find this useful!
Last update on 2024-02-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API