Early Learning and Play
While it may look like your baby is absentmindedly moving their arms and legs, they are actually gearing up to make some big developmental leaps. However, they need some help and this is where baby toys come in!
Suspended toys to grab at and lots of tummy time can help strengthen cognitive and physical skills. Therefore, the best toys for babies 3-6 months are often ones that are super engaging and encourage them to explore a variety of fabrics, sounds, and sights.
However, it can be hard to weed out the greats from just the “okays” in an aisle chock full of baby toys. Thankfully, we have lined up a few awesome items perfect for entertaining and stimulating your three to six-month-old.
18 Best Toys for Babies 3-6 Months Old
#1 VTech Baby Lil’ Critters Moosical Beads
This adorable little cow has a lot to offer your developing little one. Babies at this age are just gaining control over their hands. The large buttons and easy to hold rings on the VTech Baby Lil’ Critters Moosical Beads are perfect for fingers in training.
The different textures and fabrics help with tactile awareness, all while letting them listen to fun songs and sounds. Want a critter that does more than cuddle as best toys for babies 3-6 months? Look no further.
- Musical baby toy features a variety of fabric textures for baby tactile development; cuddle up with the soft cuddly stuffed animal cow
- Music toy has an easy to grasp bead ring; bead ring has light-up buttons, and a spinning square for fine motor skills development
- Talking and singing stuffed toy for babies comes with 30+ playful songs, melodies, sounds and phrases; allows kids to have a musical good time
#2 Lamaze Peek-A-Boo Forest
Reading is so important, at all ages and stages and some toys for 3-6 month old babies certainly understand this. The Lamaze Peek-A-Boo Forest introduces reading to your baby with a plush and colorful book. Soft pages are fun to play with and explore, yet packed with fun nursery rhymes.
Read it together to expand their vocabulary or let them discover it on their own to improve their fine motor skills. This is a great book for your nursery bookshelf.
- Peek-a-boo flaps: Soft flaps help develop hand-eye coordination and support fine motor skills
- Fun rhymes and stories: This rhyme book features inspiring rhymes on each page for fun storytime
- Six colorful pages: Bright, bold colors, friendly characters and patterns are used for visual development
#3 Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy
Babies on-the-go can get easily bored in their car seats. Liven things up with the Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy. Your child will be able to easily grasp its large textured handle, this way they can get a better look at the engaging lights that flash to help develop visual perception. Their auditory development will benefit from the seven different classical melodies disguised as alluring melodies. It is a cute musical handheld device that’s all their own.
- A best selling favorite with thousands of 5 star ratings
- Inspires a lifelong love of music
- Baby can switch between 10 total melodies
#4 Manhattan Toy Atom Rattle & Teether Grasping Activity Baby Toy
The very unique looking Manhattan Toy Atom Rattle & Teether Grasping Activity Baby Toy is sure to grab your baby’s attention. It is interestingly shaped with twelve stems topped with a ball connected to a central sphere. Your child will love developing their fine motor skills by sliding the rings up and down the stems. When shaken it makes a great rattle. As a bonus, it is strong enough to hold up to the most avid teether. It’s one of the great all-around best toys for babies 3-6 months old!
- MULTISENSORY CLUTCHING BABY TOY: The Atom Rattle & Teether multi-sensory clutching rattle and teether encourages grasping and reaching which are important in gross motor skills development
- THE HANDS HAVE IT: Lightweight and perfectly sized for baby hands, the Atom Rattle & Teether has soft and pliable one-piece posts with rattle rings that slide back and forth to produce gentle rattling sounds
- INSPIRING SHAPE FROM SCIENCE: Borrowed from molecular science, the shape of the Atom Rattle & Teether adds to the allure of the infant and baby toy, along with the brightly colored stems and rings to help with visual and auditory stimulation
#5 Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
With development in the name you know it has to be designed for learning. The Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball has bright colors and patterns, not only to attract your baby but to help them practice focusing. The bumps are the perfect size for tiny hands to grasp and explore the textures and sounds. They can work on reaching and transferring with a ball that won’t roll away from them, which is ideal for infants.
- Multiple textures & materials engage baby's developing tactile sensitivity & teach baby about variety
- Chunky sized bumps encourage reaching, grasping, and transferring from one hand to the other
- Gentle rattle sounds create neural connections in babies brains from birth through 3 years
#6 Fisher-Price Soothe & Glow Seahorse
Need help coming up with ideas for gifts for 3-month-old? Consider the Fisher-Price Soothe & Glow Seahorse. This little plush seahorse will help nap time or bed more peaceful for parents and babies alike. The belly lights up to a gentle glow while playing soothing sounds or calming melodies. Your little one will find comfort in this huggable toy as they head off to dreamland.
After five minutes the lights and music fade away setting the stage for a restful sleep. Just be sure to remove it as soon as they doze off so they can safely use it the next time they’re ready to turn in.
- Plays up to 5 minutes of music, 8 different lullabies & soothing ocean sounds
- Soft, cuddly and soothing with a gentle, comforting glow
- Baby activates sounds with a gentle squeeze, learning about cause & effect
#7 JOYIN Dancing Walking Yellow Duck Baby Toy
Another great item in the selection of baby toys 3-6 months is the JOYIN Dancing Walking Yellow Duck Baby. This duck makes the perfect dance partner with its waddling and swinging moves. It can also blink and its baby duck sings too. Fun flashing lights will aid in your child’s sensory development while the boppin’ tunes enhance their understanding of melody and rhythm.
Pressing the bold buttons will encourage finger dexterity. When it is time to take a break, the duck can play a soothing heartbeat sound. Your baby will want to have a duck dance party every day!
- MULTIPLE MODES: A Dancing Ducky Includes 5 Buttons Playing 7 Melodies, Activating Sounds and Flashlights and Generating Heart Beats; a Baby Duck Singing from its Pouch; a Button from the Top of the Head to make the duck Dance, Blink, Swing, Walk and Sing; and the Volume Control on the Foot. 3 AA Batteries Required (Not Included)
- SAFETY MATERIAL: Made of 100% Child Safe ABS Plastic.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY: Super Durable. Easy to Use.
#8 Baby Einstein Glow & Discover Light Bar Activity Station
Some of the best toys for 3-6 months old are those that encourage tummy time, and the Baby Einstein Glow & Discover Light Bar Activity Station does just that. This interactive and colorful light bar can be propped up in front of your baby, making strengthening their neck and back a joyful activity.
Aside from fun tunes they can also hear animals or colors, both in three different languages. It easily transitions to a sit-and-play toy as they get older. Look forward to tummy time with this enriching toy!
- This easy to activate the toy bar is fun and interactive for little ones
- Lights up by touching the colored sections or spin of rattle drum
- 3 modes: Animals, colors, xylophone
#9 Fisher-Price Deluxe Kick ‘n Play Piano Gym
If you have a baby that loves to just go, go, go, they will get a kick out of the Fisher-Price Deluxe Kick ‘n Play Piano Gym. This playmat has a keyboard with large keys at one end, perfectly placed at just the right height for wildly kicking baby legs. As their feet activate the lights and sound on the piano they can practice reaching and grasping with the adjustable toy bar.
As your baby can sit up, you can flip the piano to an upright position for more ways to play. While this baby playmat is quite portable in itself, the piano can be removed so your little one can play tunes on the go, one of the best toys for babies 3-6 months old your baby will adore!
- 4 ways to play as your baby grows
- Learning content changes with baby's age & stage with 3 Smart Stages learning levels, plus a bonus piano play mode with real music notes!
- Large keyboard with 5 light-up keys, removes for take-along play!
#10 Hape Beaded Raindrops
There are some great simple toys for babies 3-6 months old that are great for development without being too over the top. Hape Beaded Raindrops are one such item. This rainmaker is appealing both visually and audibly. It has colorful beads that trickle down a spiral tube to create beautiful raindrop sounds while mesmerizing your child.
They will love to shake this innovative rattle and the just-right size of the tube is easy for little hands to grasp and capped with non-toxic sturdy wood. Your baby will be able to enjoy this one toy for hours among the other best toys for babies 3-6 months, and the best part? No batteries are necessary.
- SOOTHING RAINDROP SOUNDS: Turn this rainmaker over and stimulate senses with vibrant trickling beads and soothing raindrop sounds
- ROBUST DESIGN: With an easy-to-grip design, your baby can use the toy easily, developing their grabbing abilities as they play
- BRIGHT COLORS: The shake and rattle rainmaker features bright blue and green colors that will leave your little one in awe as the beads trickle up and down
#11 Skip Hop Bandana Buddies Baby Activity and Teething Toy with Multi-Sensory Rattle and Textures
Three to six months is the time for teething. And as many parents know, a teething baby is often a cranky baby. The Skip Hop Bandana Buddies Baby Activity and Teething Toy with Multi-Sensory Rattle and Textures helps to soothe little ones while entertaining them at the same time. It has a variety of textures and patterns that they can explore with their eyes, hands, and of course their mouth.
This buddy also crinkles and rattles to appeal to little ears. A perfect on-the-go teether toy and one of the best toys for babies 3-6 months, it can attach to a car seat or stroller while the bandana teether can be worn around a parent’s wrist for easy access. Beat the teething blues with this adorable buddy.
- A soft toy and teether toy filled with textures, patterns and sounds! Little hands stay active as baby explores rattles, crinkles and more.
- This colorful character’s soft bandana teether toy detaches for mom to wear around her wrist for quick access. Perfect for multi-sensory play, this cute companion is ideal for fun at home or-on-the-go.
- Attaches to stroller, car seat or infant carrier
#12 Playgro My First Bead Buddies Giraffe
There are many rattle toys for infants 3-6 months old, but they aren’t all created equal. The Playgro My First Bead Buddies Giraffe goes above and beyond to fit so many developmental characteristics into one toy. The perfect size for a little fist, this giraffe has a variety of textures and fabrics to explore.
Some rattle while others crinkle, the rings clack, and the silk is smooth to the touch. Each component invites your little one to explore again and again, whether it be with their hands, their mouth, or even their toes! Your baby won’t want to be without his little entertaining giraffe buddy.
- Rattle beads and click-clack sounds for auditory stimulation
- Mix of fabrics encourages tactile development
- Easy for little hands to grasp
#13 Fisher-Price Rattle ‘n Rock Maracas
Does your little one want to become a member of the band? Let them join in with one of the easiest instruments for budding musicians to play, the maracas.
These Fisher-Price Rattle ‘n Rock Maracas are the best toys for babies 3-6 months old with their ideal size and weight for a baby to hold and shake. The bright fabrics and beads are visually stimulating. The plush poms are perfect for chewing. After all, who said you had to play the maracas only using your hands?
- Includes 2 toy maracas
- Sized just right for little hands to grasp and shake
- Colorful beads make fun rattle sounds when shaken
#14 MAGIFIRE Tummy Time Baby Water Mat
Dive into the exciting world of tummy time with the MAGIFIRE Tummy Time Baby Water Mat. Your baby can go on an underwater adventure without ever getting wet. This super durable mat has a colorful ocean background and vibrant sea-life characters that slosh around as your little one applies pressure to the mat. Not only will it help them strengthen their back and neck but also their visual focus as they follow the sea critters around.
- SUPREME QUALITY & 100% LEAK PROOF: Our baby water mat are made of durable 100% BPA-free & non-toxic HEAVY DUTY PVC materials. Each of our play mat has been strictly tested for NO LEAK and durability. No need to worry about messy accident
- BEST TUMMY TIME TOY: Enjoy the water time without getting wet! Your infant baby would be fascinated by the bright sea world graph and cute floating toys in the water. Parents can also have a fun time for watching the baby laugh and play
- PROMOTE BABY DEVELOPMENT: Tummy time play mat helps strengthen baby’s leg and arm muscles to prepare to crawl. Aside from preventing a flat head, this sensory baby mat can also delight brain development and enhancing hand-eye coordination
#15 VTech Peek & Play Baby Book Toy
Next up is the VTech Peek & Play Baby Book Toy, an excellent choice for those looking for gifts for 3-month-old babies. The soft pages, pleasing tunes, and bright colors make a baby’s first foray into reading a blast! Each bold page has a lift-the-flap feature to make discovering objects, shapes, colors, and animals more fun. The included link attaches their new favorite book to nearly any car seat carrier or stroller. Your baby will be able to enjoy this page-turner wherever the day takes you!
- The Peek and Play Baby Book by VTech is a real page turner; 6 soft, interactive book pages introduce animals through bold pictures and fun interactive features
- Pages include fabric flaps that lift up for fun peek-a-boo surprises; three fabric buttons introduce friendly characters, animals, colors, objects and play songs; elephant has crinkly ears and a soft trunk
- Connect the book to car carriers and more for on-the-go fun; connects to the VTech Pack-O-Links for even more fun (sold separately)
#16 Munchkin Float and Play Bubbles Bath Toy
In the pool or the bath, the Munchkin Float and Play Bubbles Bath Toy is so fun and silly to play with. These floating spheres look like giant bubbles, each housing a vibrant character. As they bob about your baby will need to practice their hand-eye coordination to reach out and grab one.
Once they get a hold of it, they will need to strengthen their grasp as the textured ring moves freely about the bubble. Make bath time a blast for years to come with these awesome best toys for babies 3-6 months old.
- Includes 2 fun characters and 2 whirly toys that spin and rattle
- Each bubble helps stimulate baby's sense of sight, hearing and touch
- Textured rings move freely around the bubbles
#17 SSK Soft Baby Foot Finder Wrist Rattles
These petite rattles come as wrist straps and little socks, meaning with every movement your baby will be delighted by sounds without having to try and hold on to the toy itself. The high contrast colors on the socks combined with the rattle will have them occupied searching for the feet for quite a while.
- ❤️ PERFECT BABY GIFTS -- Give Foot Finders Socks & Wrist Rattles as the perfect infant toy gift.Suitable for Baby showers/Baby sprinkle/Sip & See gift/Newborn baby gift/Birthday gift/Registry gift/Easter/Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas/Holiday gift/Christening gift/'Just because' gift.
- ❤️ EARLY DEVELOPMENT -- These colorful smiling cute animals will entice little baby to touch, grab and look at them. It will help to develop their hand, foot and eye co-ordination. Strengthening Color Cognition/Vision Cognition/Hearing Development & Voice Development.
- ❤️ SAFT SOFT MATERIAL -- These rattles were made of high-quality and eco-friendly material, cotton and plush,no smell and non-toxic.Very soft and comfortable for baby. Safe in mouth & Safe for teething babies.
#18 Lamaze Freddie The Firefly
This petite toy packs it all in for the most sensory development while on the move. The Lamaze Freddie The Firefly has clacking rings, a stimulating mirror, a teether, and multiple fabrics with different textures and sounds. Your baby will be able to work on reaching and grabbing as this woodland bug swings from their car seat bar.
The teether attachment even has a cute little pocket to keep it from picking up germs when not in use. This may be the only car seat toy you will ever need among the other best toys for babies 3-6 months.
- Dimension: 25.4 cm ; 26 cm ; 6.6675 cm
- BABY DEVELOPMENT: Clacking rings awaken auditory senses and ladybug teether helps to sooth baby’s gums
- SURPRISE CRINKLES: Soft velour body and multiple textures on the wings keep baby engaged
Learning & Exploring Through Play
Did you enjoy this list of recommended best toys for babies 3-6 months old? Hopefully, you were able to find a few great items to make your little one’s toy box a bit more vibrant and certainly more educational.
Babies at this age learn through play and exploring multiple different sights, textures, and sounds. That is why toys like the Lamaze Freddie The Firefly are so great! Because they include multiple developmental features in one petite package.
If your little one is a fan of any of these products be sure to let us know in the comments, and feel free to pass this article along to other parents in need!
Last update on 2021-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API