You may be surprised to find out that there is more than one type of baby diaper changing pad for crib mattresses. However, when it comes to having a safe and sanitary place to change your little one, you want only the best for your baby.
In which case, a non-toxic changing pad is a must. To make it easier for you to find the best baby changer mat for your family, we have rounded up a list of the top changing pads. From disposable diaper changing pads to plush Naturepedic changing pads, this guide covers it all.
In a rush? It’s no secret that our top pick changing pad has to be the Moonlight Slumber Premium Construction Diaper Changing Pad. It is made of safe, non-toxic materials while still being incredibly easy to use and clean.
- What Is a Baby Changing Pad and Why Do I Need One?
- Types of Baby Changing Pads
- Our 5 Top Picks for the Best Toxin-Free Changing Pad
- The 9 Best Non-Toxic Changing Pads of 2021
- Contoured Changing Pads
- Portable Changing Pads
- Disposable Changing Pads
- How To Choose a Chemical-Free Changing Pad
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Toxin-Free Changing Pads That Make Diapering a Breeze
What Is a Baby Changing Pad and Why Do I Need One?
A baby changing pad is a clean and safe place to lay down your baby for a diaper change. In many cases, diaper pads for babies tend to be more comfortable than a floor or a blanket. There is a wide variety of change pads for a baby – from portable models to contoured with safety straps.
Some changing pads fit into a diaper bag while others are made to stay stationary on top of a changing table. Whatever type suits your needs, you want to make sure it is safe, comfy, and effortless to clean.
Some parents just throw a blanket down and change their child on top of it. This is fine if you are in a pinch, but a changing pad can make life much easier.  There are three different types of change pads of different crib mattress sizes for babies that are commonly used.
Contoured Changing Pads
Contoured changing pads are designed with high sides and a low point in the middle. This keeps your child from rolling over or rolling off of the pad. Many of these changing pads are plush and comfortable for your little one.
However, they are commonly meant to be used at home or on a changing table and aren’t made for travel. A foam changing pad or a plastic changing pad will often have this sided contour shape and due to the feel of the pad are commonly used with changing pad covers. 
Portable Changing Pads
A portable baby change pad is made for travel, usually outside the home. They aren’t as thick or cozy but are made to either fold or roll up.
This way they will fit in a diaper bag or purse. Most of these travel diaper changing pads are water-resistant and wipe-clean.
They are lifesavers when you need to change your baby while on the go and are faced with some questionable surfaces. However, a portable small changing pad can also be ideal for use around your home when you don’t have a lot of room or a designated baby changing area.
Disposable Changing Pads
Disposable diaper changing pads are similar to portable changing pads. They’re thinner, made to roll or fold, and have at least one impermeable side. Unlike portable changing pads they’re not wipe-clean, you just throw them away when you’re done!
If you will be actively traveling, or visiting somewhere where it isn’t practical to carry around a diaper bag all day, stashing a few of these in your purse can be super handy.
Disposable changing pads also work well when your little one is sick and you want to protect other surfaces. They come in handy too when your younger infant accidentally vomit or poor on them, as you can easily get rid of the vomit smell by replacing them with a new one!
Thankfully, all of these types can be found in baby-friendly, non-toxic materials and designs!
Here are our favorite changing pads that are both gentle on your baby’s skin and the environment!
Searching for an organic changing pad? You can’t beat this Naturepedic Organic Contoured Changing Pad.
It is Greenguard Gold Certified organic, made from GOTS certified organic cotton while being extra cozy for your little one. The organic cotton is touchably soft yet coated with food-grade waterproofing made from non-GMO sugar cane; there are no toxic chemicals here!
It is also very durable, withstanding regular daily changes. You can effortlessly use it around your home with the peace of mind that your baby is safe thanks to the secure buckles. Or, keep it in the nursery and use the included snap-screws to attach it to a dresser or changing table.
Pair it with a Burt’s Bees Baby Changing Pad Cover and you have a cute and clean space for diapering. The pad covers are washable, making clean-up very easy.
- Certified organic
- Water-resistant food-grade coating
- Safety buckle
- Includes snap screws for furniture mounting
- The only top is waterproof
- Slightly smaller than standard pads so not all covers fit perfectly
Naturepedic Organic Contoured Changing Pad
- Features a luxurious organic cotton fabric with a clear food-grade waterproof coating made from non-GMO sugarcane.
- Non-allergenic and easy-to-clean.
- Safety buckle helps secure baby while changing and snap screws included to secure the pad to a dresser while at home.
The Keekaroo Peanut could easily last you all of your child’s diapering years. Molded from solid polyurethane foam, it is made to be unbreakable, supportive, and hygienic.
It was originally designed for pediatric hospital use, so you know it’s a high-quality product. Though it is made from a synthetic material, it is BPA-, PVC-, latex-, and phthalate-free. Its small and unique shape is perfect for cradling your baby, and will continue to hold them up to 30 pounds!
It’s completely waterproof. This makes it a breeze to wipe down, protects against leaks, and limits bacterial growth. Because of the foam construction of this wipeable changing pad, it won’t slip off surfaces and the safety strap won’t let your child slip.
It is ideal for either changing or even taking a monitored nap!
- Ergonomically designed
- Resistant to mold, punctures, water, and bacterial growth
- Can hold up to 30lbs
- Impenetrable to fluid makes it easy to clean
- Standard covers do not fit it
- Stains easily
- SOLID PROTECTIVE LAYER FOR EASY CLEANING - The only shell over foam changing pad on the market, making it the only one that is completely impermeable to fluids
- ORIGINAL WIPE DOWN CHANGING PAD - The Original Made in USA, easy-to-clean changing pad
- ONE OF A KIND MATERIAL - Proprietary material tested in Medical and School environments not used by any other manufacturer
The DaVinci waterproof pad is a fantastic affordable option if you are looking for a waterproof changing pad that is also non-toxic. Its gentle sloping edges are contoured so your little one won’t roll off.
The firm foam is made without the use of polyurethane polymer and coated in food grade polyethylene to make it 100% waterproof. The synthetic material is eco-friendly, being naturally chemical flame retardant instead of relying on chemical flame retardants.
The standard size of this pad makes it an ideal changing pad for a dresser or as a table pad. A safety buckle is included for your baby and safety snaps secure it to a changing table or dresser.
While it works with almost any piece of furniture, it is designed to pair effortlessly with any DaVinci changing tray. This is one of the best non-toxic water proof changing pads for budget-conscious parents.
- Firm surface with quilted padding
- Wipe clean, 100% water-resistant
- Universal fit for most changing trays
- The exterior may be prone to tearing
- White color can stain easily
DaVinci Waterproof Changing Pad
- 100% non-toxic and free of polyurethane foam, vinyl and chemical flame retardants
- Food-grade polyethylene cover is waterproof and easy-to-clean
- Extra firm quilted padding with contoured walls for security
If you are frequently laying your baby on a surface, you want to know that it is safe. The Babyletto product is Greenguard Gold Certified so you can be confident it is free from chemicals, like vinyl pvc phthalates.
Your child can nestle comfortably within the contoured walls that prevent them from escaping the pad. Its universal size makes it a great fit for a wide variety of changing tables and dressers. The firm inside is made from 100% polyester filling that is free from toxins, dyes, and flame retardants.
The quilted outside is padded for comfort. An included safety strap provides an extra layer of protection. And, this 100% waterproof changing pad protects your furniture from accidental leaks.
- Extra-firm quilted padding
- Includes safety strap for child and two straps for dresser
- Universal fit for most furniture items
- PVC-free water-resistant cover
- Dresser straps can cause it to lay awkwardly
- Sidewalls are not very high
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs; It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- UNIVERSAL FIT CHANGING PAD: Designed to fit all babyletto changing trays and dressers with dimensions of 31" x 16" x 4"; The extra firm quilted padding, contoured walls, and safety strap provide extra support during changing time
- WATERPROOF & EASY TO CLEAN: Simply wipe down the easy to clean cover which uses food-grade polyethylene for waterproofing and is PVC-free
The Moonlight Slumber Premium Construction Diaper Changing Pad will both look nice and feel nice in your nursery. It is excellent for a baby’s delicate skin, is made from medical-grade foam and a polyester medical-grade knit blend.
The construction is completely smooth and you won’t find any crevices, indentations, or stitching. This makes it very hard for germs to get trapped, making it one of the most hygienic.
The Moonlight Slumber organic cotton cover is removable and can be cleaned in a washing machine. The entire pad is resistant to stains, odors, and liquids. The safety belt and security strap offer all-around protection so your diaper changes will be worry-free!
- Includes removable organic cotton cover
- No stitching to trap germs
- Smooth edges are simple to clean and safe for baby
- Made from medical-grade foam
- Lifetime warranty
- Buckle can be difficult to undo
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: This Contoured Changing Pad is expertly crafted with medical-grade foam, covered in a vinyl- and PVC-free encasement that’s naturally constructed from a blend of medical-grade, stretch knit polyester.
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL: Completely smooth with rounded edges, the pad has no indentations or stitching that can become sources of germ entrapment. Additionally, a safety belt and security strap provide your baby with a comfortable and safe changing space.
- REMOVABLE COVER: For added convenience, the Changing Pad comes with a removable, organic cotton cover. Tailored with a supple stretchiness and elasticated corners, this cover wraps smoothly around the pad's contours.
If you want a changing pad with three high-side walls instead of the standard two, check out the Sealy Baby pad. The third sided-wall at their head or feet keeps them from scooting off the pad, as does the safety strap and buckle.
Made from soybean enhanced foam, this pad is partly renewable and recycled. Not only is the cover waterproof but so is the lock-stitched binding, keeping liquid from seeping into the pad.
The bottom of this changer helps hold it firmly to your table or dresser surface, but you can use the anchor hardware for extra security. It is PVC and toxin-free, being CertiPUR-US certified for quality, durability, and chemical content.
- Three high-walled sides
- Made from recycled soybean oil foam
- Lock-stitch binding for no liquid seepage
- Includes anchor hardware
- Strap stains easily
- Slightly too big for some changing tables
- SOYBEAN ENHANCED FOAM: Firm and comfortable soybean enhanced foam is made with a percentage of natural and renewable soybean oils.
- WATERPROOF COVER: PVC-free cover and lock-stitched binding are waterproof and easy to clean, helping prevent liquids from seeping inside the cover for a more sanitary diaper changing surface
- CONTOURED DESIGN: The 3-sided design and contoured sides help keep baby secure and snug in the changing pad and the top cushioning supports and protects baby’s head
We love the cute name of this changing table, puddle pad! The Holy Lamb organic changing pad is ideal for travel. It folds up into a compact square that will fit in almost any bag or suitcase, which is surprising given its size.
This wool baby changing pad for travel is twin-sized, big enough for you to use on your baby’s crib mattresses under their soft crib mattress sheet. Handmade in the United States, each puddle pad is extremely durable and well-crafted.
The organic wool is naturally waterproof when it is slightly felted and woven very tightly to form these natural changing table pads. You can use it on the go to keep your child from coming into contact with yucky surfaces.
Or, if you choose to use it in their nursery on the crib you can be confident it will wick away sweat and absorb pee. We love that you can use these machine washable pads for years to come. These pads are made in the USA these products are tough and durable.
- Available in multiple different sizes
- Machine washable
- Naturally waterproof
- Great for travel
- Doesn’t come smaller than twin size
- 100% Organic wool textile
- Machine washable gentle with our special instructions
- Hand made in Oakville, WA by Holy Lamb Organics
Need a travel-friendly changing pad? We love the MakeMake toxin-free changing dad. It is constructed with GOTS certified organic cotton, absorbent terry inside, and a luxe sateen outside.
Fashionable and functional, this folding pad comes in some cute colors! When you unfold it from its clutch-purse shape, you have a large and clean area to change your child. It is vegan, hypoallergenic, and non-toxic. This portable pad works very well as a diaper changing area, play mat, and organizer thanks to the elastic straps inside.
The outer elastic strap holds everything closed so you can take all your changing essentials with you. A water-resistant backing and the absorbent core mean you don’t have to worry about changing your baby when you’re away from home.
- Lightweight and compact
- Vegan, hypoallergenic, and organic
- Inside includes elastic straps to hold diapering items
- Available in cute colors and patterns
- Not waterproof
- Can only be machine washed on cold and tumble dried
Sometimes you need a travel diaper change pad that can be tossed in the garbage when you’re done. Much like NorthShore premium disposable changing pads! This cover is made of multiple non-toxic layers.
The waterproof backing offers an excellent barrier between your child and germy surfaces. The absorbent inside helps wick away moisture from even the messiest situations.
Finally, the soft and comfortable top layer is quick-drying, latex-free, and safe for those with natural rubber protein allergies and synthetic rubber sensitivities.
You can purchase them in bulk or easy-to-pack resealable bags. They’re a breeze to take with you on any adventure, and when you’re done simply toss them in a trash receptacle!
- Bright Three layers for a non-toxic, sanitary barrier
- Light, compact, and travel-friendly
- The top layer is easy to rip
- Inside layer prone to clumping
- Peace of Mind: Have a clean barrier for changing diapers whenever it is needed, whether at home or on the go.
- Absorbent Lining: An ideal barrier for those annoying accidents that always seem to occur as soon as the diaper is removed.
- Waterproof Backsheet: Prevents leaks and the perimeter of the changing pad is sealed so that quick moving spills will not be able to escape.
Of course, you want to look at the safety and toxicity of the materials when searching for a eco-friendly changing pad, but keep these other features in mind too when buying one of these must-have baby products!
- Water Resistance and Ease of Cleaning.
If you plan to use the changing pad in your home you will probably want it to be resistant to water or waterproof. This will protect your furniture and make the pad easy to clean. These pads usually only need to be wiped down.
For pads that you want to use on-the-go, look for options that are absorbent but also have a waterproof layer, such as those that are achieved with food grade polyethylene. This will help catch accidents on crib mattresses while offering a hygienic changing surface. Machine washability for these pads is a huge plus.
- Non-toxic Materials.
You will want to avoid harmful chemicals like vinyl and polyurethane) as well as any materials that give off dangerous gases or oils. It’s a good idea to check for organic certification, like aiming for products that are GOTS or Greenguard Gold Certified. 
Also, be cognizant of allergies and check that your pad is latex-free or rubber-free. This is especially useful for when you want to get baby to sleep in crib without having to worry about toxic materials.
If you plan to use your changing pad on a table, dresser, or tray – safety is important. Check for things like a safety strap with a buckle to prevent your child from rolling.  A non-skid base or furniture anchors to hold the pad in place are beneficial as well. 
- Design and Size.
Some changing pads are universal and fit most changing trays or tables. Others have a unique shape that you will have to be mindful of if you already have furniture. Additionally, some parents prefer contoured pads with three high-sides instead of two. This comes down to personal preference.
A changing pad isn’t necessary for every parent. Some parents use a blanket or towel on the floor. Or, there are other alternatives to a stationary pad. You could try a travel changing pad, a bassinet, or even a changer attached to a pack n play. Many parents get by just fine without a pad, though they can be more hygienic and comfortable.
Just because you have a changing pad doesn’t mean you need a changing table. You can use the pad on the floor or a flat surface as long as it is anchored safely and you monitor your child constantly.
Your baby should never sleep on a changing pad, this is deemed unsafe by the American Academy of Pediatrics.  You should aim to provide a safe sleep environment for your baby to prevent sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
You can try a few different things to keep your changing pad from sliding. Some come with anchors to strap them to furniture. Others include non-slip bases that grip surfaces. Whatever method you use, be sure to constantly monitor your child when they are on the changing pad and never leave them unattended. 
You can use a changing pad as long as your child fits comfortably on it. Most changing pads are about 32 inches in length, with a 17 inches height that children commonly reach around their first birthday.
All of these eco-safe changing pads are sure to keep your baby comfy and cozy while providing you with a convenient and safe place to change them.
There are different pads for different scenarios, but we love the Moonlight Slumber Premium Construction Diaper Changing Pad for everyday use. It is certified chemical-free, contoured for comfort, and extremely easy to clean!
Do you have a favorite changing pad tip or trick? We would love to know about it in the comments!
Last update on 2024-03-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API