Looking for a stroller that folds into a backpack for your next family adventure? A backpack stroller can be folded into a very compact form that you can wear on your back, making it easy to carry around, store and travel with.
Aside from that, these strollers are typically easy to turn even on sharp corners, which is what you need when strolling through a busy airport when you’re traveling via airplane.
We recommend getting the Pockit Air All Terrain Stroller but you can decide the best choice after going through our list below.
Whether you’re exploring a hiking trail, strolling around the city, or going on a flight, here are our top stroller picks for the best compact strollers when folded into a backpack for your next trip!
Our Top 5 Best Backpack Stroller PicksInvalid table id.
The Best Stroller That Folds Into A Backpack
GB Pockit Air All Terrain Stroller – Best Overall
When it comes to searching for a collapsible stroller for travel, weight and size matter most. And because you’re likely going on flights, you’ll want to make sure it folds compact enough to fit the airline’s overhead bin. Fortunately, this Pockit Stroller checks all the boxes and comes with clever features that make it easy to push. And, it doesn’t have to be the priciest option out there.
It’s the smallest stroller in the Guinness World Records with only 9.5 lbs of weight, and this stroller folds into a backpack and is cabin-approved. Despite being a lightweight stroller, it’s easy to push and feels stable across different surfaces – let alone airports – thanks to its double-wheel feature.
This backpack travel stroller is suitable to use for your child from birth to 6 months to 48 lbs, or approximately 5 years old.
Sure, the seat lacks recline and little padding is added, but it’s still spacious and comfortable with a breathable mesh fabric that feels cool even on the hottest days. Another drawback is the sunshade is pretty small and doesn’t protect your child much in the hot weather, but you can choose the Pockit + All Terrain version for the full-size canopy.
- Ultra lightweight
- Fit most airplane compartments
- Double wheels make pushing more stable
- Breathable mesh seat fabric
- Easy to collapse stroller for storage
- Value for money
- Small sunshade
- No seat recline
- The revolutionary ultra-compact folding mechanism of the Pockit Air All-Terrain reduces the stroller into a handbag-shaped package in seconds and is airplane hand luggage compliant.
- Take to the skies with confidence. The ultra-compact folding mechanism of the Pockit Air All-Terrain is airplane hand luggage compliant, freeing you to travel with your stroller without hassle
- Weighing only 4.6 kg, the Pockit Air All-Terrain is the perfect travel companion. Its super-lightweight frame is easy to manoeuvre, lift and carry. Perfect for the city, on vacation, or just being on the go.
Munchkin Sparrow Ultra Compact Lightweight Travel Stroller – Best Carry On Stroller
Available in two stylish colors, Munchkin Sparrow folds compactly and comes with a stylish carrying handbag, so you can stay in style when you’re on the go with the little one – perfect if you’re looking for a stroller that folds into a box. It’s one of the most compact strollers here, and, though only weighing at 12.8 lbs, it’s safe to use until your baby is 55 lbs or approximately 5 to 6 years old.
What impresses us is instead of using a standard handlebar, it’s designed with two adjustable vertical bars for your hands, making it suitable for parents of different heights. It also features a 5-point harness strap and a comfy mesh headrest for your little one to rest on.
Just keep in mind that the canopy is quite small and doesn’t really protect your child from the sun, but as long as you’re using it indoors such as in shopping malls or an airport, this stroller with a carry bag is still one of your best foldable stroller options.
- Comes with a stylish carry bag
- Adjustable hand bars
- Higher weight limit at up to 55 lbs
- Small sunshade
- Lightweight collapsible stroller for families on the go
- Small enough to fit most overhead airplane bins
- Includes 5-point harness & modern carrying case for easy packing
BABYZEN YOYO2 Stroller – Best Premium
This top-end Babyzen Yoyo offers many things other backpack strollers don’t, but it’s a lot pricier option, though worth it if you’re open to spending more. It’s also suitable to use from birth using the Newborn Pack or Bassinet.
Stylishly designed, this fold and go stroller offers a suspension system for a smooth ride across all terrain, and a reclining backrest with a well-padded seat for your babies or toddler to take a nap on. Plus, it’s also a stroller that closes on its own with a simple one-hand fold mechanism.
The spacious, easy-access storage has a weight limit of 11 lbs means it’s also great for shopping, while the zipped pocket that’s attachable to the handlebar provides extra storage for your child’s essentials during travel.
- The wheels have suspension
- Well-padded reclining seat
- Usable from newborn
- Plenty of storage
- All accessories are sold separately
- EASY TO USE - BABYZEN YOYO2 is one of the most lightweight, compact, full-feature strollers available. Designed for every situation, every day, you can steer with one hand, carry it on your shoulder & store essentials in the zippered back pocket.
- TAKE IT EVERYWHERE - It's never been easier to meet up with friends, catch a cab, or hop onto the subway. The YOYO2 not only folds & unfolds with one hand, it’s so compact that you can store it in the overhead bin of a plane.
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD - Now you only need one stroller! Our all-in-one frame accommodates your growing child, from newborn to toddler (up to 48.5 lbs), with a comfortable seat cushion, a reclining backrest & a secure 5-point harness.
Dream On Me Coast Rider Stroller – Best Budget
Looking for an affordable stroller that folds into a bag? This Dream On Me Coast Rider Stroller is an excellent choice. It’s a simple pushchair with little in the way of frills, but the versatile chassis is convertible into a rider and a scooter to suit your child’s comfort on the ride.
Sure, it’s not perfect and lacks features such as a sunshade, and the seat has no recline or padding. And although it lacks a stroller backpack, it folds instantly using one hand and you can purchase this large portable bag to carry it as a portable stroller backpack when traveling.
- Very affordable price
- Convertible into a rider and a scooter
- Easy fold up stroller
- No canopy
- The seat is not padded and cannot recline
- EXPERIENCE THE WORLD: The Parent-approved Coast Rider Stroller effortlessly converts from Stroller to Scooter & Rider, offering your child a 275-degree viewing. Meeting all Disney & theme park size specs with plush seating, make this award-winner a part of all family outings.
- BYE-BYE BULK: Super lightweight at just 13.5 Lbs, its aluminium frame & soft-ride wheels makes manoeuvrability a breeze. Combined with the easy one-hand fold feature that allows it to fold inward like a book in an instant, it’s a parent-loved choice.
- PARENT-CONCIOUS: The innovation-driven Coast Rider Stroller comes with adjustable handles & push bars, and water-proof fabric. It can also be combined with the Coast Rider Stroller Canopy & Connector (both sold separately) for on-the-go fun time. Available in 5 finishes.
Mountain Buggy Nano v3 Stroller – Best Travel System Ready
This Mountain Buggy Nano v3 folding compact stroller has so many things going for it. For starters, it’s suitable to use for newborns and is a travel system ready with a universal infant car seat adaptor that’s suitable with infant car seats from most brands.
Besides, the full recliner sling seat can lie flat so your little one can enjoy her nap along the ride, and there’s a large flip out visor with a sun mesh extension for breathability.
Mountain Buggy Nano is also lightweight and slim, yet offers excellent maneuverability through sharp corners and narrow streets, and the foam tires are quiet on pavements and ceramics.
Though this Nano pushchair doesn’t offer a one-hand folding mechanism, folding it is still a breeze, and it converts into a handbag with shoulder straps, perfect for those looking for an umbrella pushchair with shoulder a strap.
There are also plenty of optional accessories available to extend its capabilities, including a bumper bar, winter seat liner, and footmuff to keep your child warm in the cold season, and a riding board for the sibling to join the ride.
- Travel system ready
- A fully reclining seat that can lie flat
- Good maneuverability
- Plenty of optional accessories
- Rear and front access storage basket
- The lockable swivel front wheel is rather fiddly
- No one-hand folding
- full recline fabric sling seat providing a lie flat mode that is perfect for newborns
- ultra lightweight at less than 6kg / 13lbs with a carry handle and shoulder strap - ideal for travel or the perfect secondary buggy
- easy two-step compact fold designed to fit in many carry-on luggage units or to leave in the car for quick trips
The Clutch Stroller by Delta Children – Best Value
Weighing at just 11.7 lbs, The Clutch is the second most lightweight portable stroller for travel here. But don’t mistake its slim form, this lightweight easy fold stroller is stable and glides smoothly across various terrain, thanks to its double wheels and suspension on the front swivel wheel.
Turning in sharp corners is also a breeze, and as it comes with a large storage basket, this super collapsible stroller is also perfect for shopping. Also, this compact fold up stroller converts to backpack and fits most airlines’ overhead bin sizes, making it great for traveling with airplanes.
- Good value for money
- Double wheels
- Suspension on the front swivel wheel
- Decent size storage basket
- Small sun visor
- The handlebar is not adjustable
- RECOMMENDED USE: For children up to 50 lbs. | Meets Disney size requirements
- LIGHT AS A FEATHER: This extremely lightweight stroller weighs 11.7 lbs. easy to take on day trips or vacations
- FOLDS UP SMALL: Folded dimensions: 15”L x 5.9”W x 19.7”H | Folded stroller fits in overhead compartments on planes, on subways, in cars, and takes up little space in city apartments
Benefits of Using Backpack Strollers
Convenient to Carry
One of backpack strollers’ main benefits is that they’re incredibly easy to carry on your back, leaving your hands free to do other things when strolling through airports.
These foldable lightweight strollers are also usually easy to fold, making it a breeze when you need to transport between vehicles quickly. And, some of them are also travel system ready that’s a breeze to transfer between vehicles, like the Mountain Buggy Nano stroller.
Another benefit of getting a stroller that folds up small is it saves plenty of space in your home and is especially useful for families living in small apartments or those with limited storage space. Plus, it also fits even the smallest car trunks!
Fits in Planes’ Overhead Bins
Although each airline has different requirements, most of these backpack strollers are designed to fit in cabin luggage size in most airlines – these are the smallest fold up strollers with the size of your backpack!
Besides, this means that you can take your stroller with you on your flight and not have to worry about checking it in or waiting for it at baggage claim.
How to Find the Best Backpack Stroller: Buyer’s Guide
Weight and size
Because you will wear it as a backpack, look for one that’s light and compact when searching for a foldable lightweight stroller for travel. A stroller that is too heavy or bulky may be difficult to carry around, defeating the purpose of a backpack stroller.
Comfort and safety
Backpack strollers are typically slim and light, so it’s important to choose one that has proper safety features such as a five-point harness and sturdy frame. You may also want to check if it met US safety regulation standards.
Despite being a stroller that folds small, some of these strollers still offer a decent storage basket size, allowing you to not only store your baby or toddler essentials but also your shopping items! Also, look for one that has a cup holder or additional pockets.
When you’re looking for a travel and portable buggy, it should be easy to steer and handle, even when folded and worn as a backpack.
That said, it’s essential to check if the wheels and suspension are stable and has sturdy frame to ride across various terrain.
In addition, strollers with front swivel wheels can help you easily navigate through short spaces and sharp corners.
For a great balance between portability and maneuverability, the GB Pockit Stroller is certainly our favorite. Not only is it super light, but it’s also the smallest stroller available to date, so you can be confident that it fits most cabin luggage sizes. However, if you’re looking for one that’s travel system ready, the Mountain Buggy Nano stroller is an excellent choice.
What’s your best backpack stroller pick? Tell us in the comments!
Last update on 2023-06-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API