As a mom, I know that even a big kid’s little legs get tired now and again.
Additionally, there are times when having my big kid ride in the best stroller gives me better peace of mind. However, you can’t simply tuck your older child into an infant stroller. You need a large stroller for big kids.
A model that is adapted for bigger kids will be safer and more comfortable for both those riding and pushing. Our favorite is the Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight for its unsurpassed quality and convenience!
But there are many amazing models out there, here are our top picks of strollers for bigger toddlers.
- the Many Types of Big Kid Strollers
- our Top 11 perfect picks oF the best Strollers for Big Kids
- 1. Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
- 2. Summer 3d Lite Convenience Stroller
- 3. gb Pockit+ All-Terrain Stroller
- 4. Baby Jogger City Mini 2 Stroller
- 5. BOB Revolution Flex 3.0 Duallie Stroller
- 6. Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
- 7. Evenflo Pivot Xplore All-Terrain Stroller Wagon
- 8. Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller
- 9. BRITAX B-Lively Lightweight Stroller
- 10. Chicco Bravo LE Quick-Fold Stroller
- 11. UPPAbaby G-Luxe Stroller
- What To Consider When Buying a Stroller For a Big Kid?
- To Sum It Up,
the Many Types of Big Kid Strollers
There are probably more strollers for older children on the market than you think! Check out these types of strollers with higher stroller weight limits.
Jogging strollers were designed to be for bigger kids, though some have adapted to infants too. It’s a great stroller for a large child because of its larger seat, maneuverable three-wheel design, and all-terrain tires that often make pushing on even rough terrains easier.
Trading the comfort features for agility, jogging strollers are usually much easier to push and maneuver compared to the other types of strollers for big kids. The roomy seats are designed for older and taller children but the downsides to these strollers are that they are bulky even when folded due to the bicycle-type-tires. 
Umbrella strollers are another popular pick for those looking for lightweight strollers for big toddlers because they’re commonly designed with bigger kids in mind. Spacious child seats, a lightweight frame, and not a lot of frills make them very convenient for parents to push and travel with.
Umbrella strollers, being known for discarding unneeded extra features in exchange for being extremely lightweight, can be a flaw to certain parents, as certain models don’t always include a canopy.
It can be difficult to find one with very high stroller weight limit as they are usually designed to be lightweight. The child seats are also usually not plush or heavily padded. But the good thing is that they are small enough to fit in even narrow alleys and pop up in the matter of seconds.
If you’re looking for the best strollers with higher stroller weight limits for big kids and a baby, a double stroller is likely the way to go. Double strollers accommodate more than one child and come in a variety of types, like umbrella strollers or jogging strollers that can accommodate up to 3 kids for some models.
Further reading: Best Triple Jogging Stroller Review
One obvious imperfection is that they can be awkward to steer, due to their significantly larger sizes. Not only are they bulky when folded, the extra features also partly contribute to the additional weight to these strollers.
Before investing in one of the best doubles, you may first need to figure out what are the differences between side-by-side vs tandem double strollers.
Both types have their boons and banes, but to sum it up for you: with the longer tandem stroller, your big child seated at the front will be further away from you; conversely, investing in a side-by-side means your two children are equally accessible, but also prone to more frequent fights! 
With a high stroller weight limit, a stroller wagon is often a heavy duty stroller that can hold multiple children of three kids or more.
Related: Best Triple Strollers Review
Far from the classic Radio Flyer, today’s wagons come equipped with stroller accessories such as sunshades, child trays, and more. If your baby hates the stroller, they may love the wagon.
They are usually easy to pull but can’t accommodate infant car seats for sibling or travel system use. These unconventional strollers generally include a few features that still come in handy, but not as many compared to the other types of strollers. They are also large when folded.
our Top 11 perfect picks oF the best Strollers for Big Kids
Understanding that there are lots of strollers on the market, we have lined up a list of the best 10 products that give you a range of features while still being accommodating in the height and size department of your child. Check them out!
1. Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
Find yourself typing into Google, “strollers for big kids”? Enter the Joovy Jogging Stroller. This stroller can handle big kids, accommodating a weight of up to 75 lbs and providing 22 inches of headroom. It can also hold small children and transform into a travel system thanks to the car seat adaptor. That way you can use it from birth through young childhood, and with a sibling.
The safety harness keeps your child safe. The elevated seat gives them a great view of the world. A leg rest and large sun adjustable canopy make the ride feel comfortable.
This product has some great features for parents too! The parent organizer, running leash, and effortless one-handed fold make both the run and the transport simple and convenient.
For runners, this stroller pushes like a dream. The oversized rubber tires and shock absorbing suspension keep the ride smooth. The aluminum frame is light, perfect for a jog. This is one of the many great jogging strollers for running and with extra headroom, you can take even your tallest rider along.
- Quick-release wheels
- Locking swivel front wheels
- One of the lightest strollers (25.7lbs)
- Mesh pockets provides much space
- Attached twist hand brake
- Child tray sold separately
- Difficult to unfold
- Extra wide seat sits high to give child great visibility, multi-position seat recline
- Includes parent organizer, running leash, and tire pump
- Quick release 16" rear wheels and 12.5" swivel front wheel that locks straight
2. Summer 3d Lite Convenience Stroller
Check out this ultralight big kid stroller, the Summer 3d Lite Stroller. It weighs only 14 pounds but can accommodate kids up to 50 pounds, making it one of the best travel strollers for toddlers over 40 lbs.
The spacious seat has a generous recline, perfect for big kids who might want a nap when you’re out and about. We also love that this stroller for a tall kid has an oversized sun canopy that won’t cramp their headspace.
- Premium fabrics and stitching can withstand older kids weight
- Compact fold with padded carrying cord
- Convenience features for parents like a drink holder and cell phone holder
- Folding mechanism takes two hands to fold
- Handles may be too tall for shorter parents
- EVERYDAY STROLLER – Use the Summer 3Dlite+ Convenience stroller as a lightweight stroller for everyday or as a travel stroller. It’s durable, with premium fabrics and stitching, and has parent-friendly features like an extra-large storage basket and more.
- LIGHTWEIGHT – The lightweight baby stroller has an aluminum frame and weighs only 14 pounds. It has a one-hand, multi-position adjustable recline seat with a 5-point safety harness.
- COMPACT FOLD – This stroller has a compact fold and a padded carry strap, making it an ideal option for running errands all day or on your next big family trip.
3. gb Pockit+ All-Terrain Stroller
Looking for an airline-friendly stroller for older kids? Arguable as the best lightweight stroller on the market, the gb Pockit folds up into a carriable pack, fitting into most overhead bins. At just nine pounds in stroller weight, it is easy to carry it anywhere, or use it as a stroller for toddlers over 40 lbs.
That’s right, as our rated best lightweight yet safe option in this list, you can use it until your child is fifty pounds! They’ll enjoy that the upright seat lets them view the world and doesn’t feel suffocating, the same can be said for the spacious canopy.
Durable swivel front wheels make navigation a breeze, even if you’re using it as a stroller for a 6 year old that’s approaching the weight limit – not to mention that it’s is also approved as one of the few strollers suitable for a trip in Disney world.
Further reading: Best Strollers for Disney
- An awesome stroller that folds up very small
- The seat isn’t cramped
- Maneuverable swivel front wheels
- Not ideal for rough terrains
- The entire stroller with its flexible frame can feel pretty flimsy
- Collapsible & Compact Design: This travel stroller's ultra-compact and collapsible design ensures it will fit in most overhead compartments on planes and trains, eliminating the need to check your baby stroller while travelling.
- Lightweight Convenience: This must-have umbrella stroller weighs a mere 9 1/2 pounds and makes one-handed pushing and steering a breeze. It folds down in 2 simple steps and can be carried effortlessly via the attached handle.
- Durable and Flexible Construction: Durable for everyday use as well as travel the Pockit+ is designed to roll with the punches. Its flexible construction keeps wiggly bodies safe and happy during their travels.
4. Baby Jogger City Mini 2 Stroller
Even if your child is a newborn, you’ll eventually need a stroller for a 5 year old. The Baby Jogger City Mini 2 Stroller will grow with your child. It accommodates a car seat, a bassinet, and finally a child seat.
Your big kid will enjoy taking a nap in this seat that lays flat. Unlike most jogging strollers, when they’re upright the lower leg support is great for big kids! They can ride until they’re 50 pounds or about 54 months. From day one parents will love the agility and convenience of this stroller
- Adjustable calf support
- Deep canopy with peekaboo window
- Toddler seat lays flat
- Seat straps are tricky
- The basket is hard to access, unlike many strollers common in the market
5. BOB Revolution Flex 3.0 Duallie Stroller
A jogging stroller for big kids is usually the way to go, just look at the best double stroller – BOB Revolution Flex 3.0 Duallie Stroller. This reviewed best jogging stroller can hold up to one-hundred pounds, or fifty pounds per seat, talk about a stroller with a high weight limit!
This stroller features a three-wheel design that won’t make pushing this awesome big kid stroller a chore. Ten storage pockets and a cargo basket lets you bring along all your older children’s gear. Parents will be pleasantly surprised to find out that even as a side-by-side stroller for preschoolers, it is Disney-approved as one of the best double jogging strollers for use at Disney world.
Read also: BOB Revolution Flex 3.0 Duallie Review
- Plenty of storage space
- All-terrain tires
- Best stroller for Disney with two kids
- Pretty much on the higher end of the price range
- Smooth ride: Suspension system & Air filled tires provide an ultra-smooth ride over any terrain
- Perfect Fit: Adjustable handlebar creates the perfect fit for parents of all heights; no-rethread harness design for easy height adjustments
- Extra space: 10 storage pockets and extra-large cargo basket provide plenty of room for your gear; includes a cell phone pocket handlebar
6. Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
The Baby Trend Jogger Stroller is a wonderful jogging stroller for a big kid. It’s probably among the best strollers for big kids who still want all the features. Riders up to fifty pounds can enjoy the snack tray, large sun canopy, two cupholders, and lower leg support.
Parents are treated to a drink holder and cubby tray too! Bicycle tires offer a smooth, safe and comfortable ride while allowing parents to push with only one hand.
- Includes comfort features
- Locking front swivel wheel
- Accommodates kids up to 3.5ft tall
- Basket could use better support
- Wheels may need to be aired up often with bigger toddlers riding
- Large bicycle tires roll effortlessly over all surfaces
- Front swivel wheel for easy maneuvering, locks for jogging. Recommended use: 6 months - 50 pounds or up to 42
- Reclining padded seat with 5 point harness, tether, large canopy and storage basket
7. Evenflo Pivot Xplore All-Terrain Stroller Wagon
Strollers for 3 yr olds and big kids don’t technically have to be strollers, just look at the Evenflo Stroller Wagon. It has two very roomy bench seats with a deep footwell for long legs. Large kids will be able to sit comfortably in it without fuss.
It’s spacious and perfect for kids who want to sit up and see the world. Ventilated canopies and two cup holders/snack tray are awesome comfort and convenience options.
Parents will delight in the all-terrain tires and reversible handlebar that lets you use it as a push stroller or pull wagon!
- Room for two
- Detachable side storage basket makes for flexible and plenty of storage space
- Like other typical stroller wagons, this one can too, be pushed or pulled
- The footwell is hard to clean
- Push or pull, decide on the fly. It’s easy to adapt your ride with a flip of the handle
- All-terrain wheels give you the freedom to go from pavement to beach and beyond
- Canopies with UPF 50-plus help shield your child from the sun’s harmful rays
8. Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller
Parents who want a stroller for an older child with special needs may want to check out the Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller. It’s designed like an agile lightweight jogging stroller with three tires but has a safe and secure seat that will make riders feel cozy and protected.
The 5-point harness is very secure and extremely adjustable while the bumper bar provides an added level of security, making it a contender for the best strollers for an older child with special needs.
Lower leg support, a sun canopy with a flip-out visor, and easy-clean fabrics are additional great features.
- Wipe-clean sport fabrics
- Adjustable harness and bumper bar
- Padded cozy seat
- Great lightweight stroller comes attached with a range of different stroller accessories
- Bulky even when folded
- Tire treads may wear quickly
- Organizer size is slightly limited (to only about the size of a small diaper bag)
- The child seat removes easily to create a frame carrier for the KeyFit during the first 6 months
- Sporty fabrics are wipe able, durable and water repellent. Full-coverage, extendable canopy with flippable tinted window/mesh vent
- Pneumatic tires, 12" front and 16" rear spoked wheels , Carton Dimensions - 22.7 x 32.13 x 12.78 inches
9. BRITAX B-Lively Lightweight Stroller
If you desire a comfortable, yet compact and easy to maneuver model then take a look at the BRITAX B-Lively Lightweight Stroller!
Its three-wheel design allows it to turn on a dime. The larger back wheels and suspension system keep the ride bump-free. You will have no problem steering this one down a busy sidewalk.
Your big kid will beg to go for a comfortable ride in the seat with included calf support. The harness that comes with this Britax stroller ensures that they remain secure. The canopy covers them, keeping out the sun, wind, and rain. A peek-a-boo window allows parents to check in on their little ones.
You can either store your belongings and stroller accessories in the lower spacious storage basket with front access or the zippered pocket. Use this stroller from birth to child age thanks to the infant car seat adapters.
Pushing your big kid along you can recall a time when they weren’t so tall.
- Child seat reclines infinitely
- Auto-locking fold
- Lightweight and easy to use design
- No child tray
- No parent drink holders
- Can be difficult to open
- The B-lively stroller is lightweight with all wheel suspension for smooth rides and one-hand, quick fold makes it easy to store and go
- Convenient features: XL storage basket with front access, ventilated UV 50+ canopy, large zipper pocket and peek a boo window
- Relax and recline: Infinite stroller seat recline to accommodate sleeping infants or attentive toddlers
10. Chicco Bravo LE Quick-Fold Stroller
If you are looking for a stroller that is a step up from an umbrella stroller, consider the Chicco Bravo LE Quick-Fold Stroller. This model converts from a frame stroller for an infant seat to a child stroller by attaching the child seat. The child seat has plenty of space in both height and width, meaning your tall child won’t have a problem riding along.
When they are in the plush seat the five-point harness keeps them secure and safe. The child tray with drink holders keeps snacks and goodies close at hand.
An extra-deep sun canopy with an included sun visor ensures they are protected from harmful rays. When it’s time for a nap, the multi-recline seat is the perfect place.
This stroller isn’t short on parent features either. The broad base has four auto-positioning wheels for a smooth ride with effortless maneuverability. The large basket has ample room for all of your stuff. You can access it from either the front or the rear seat.
A parent tray with zippered storage and cupholders is an excellent spot for your necessities and coffee! When it is time to head home, the one hand fold will surely come in handy. It stores just as easily thanks to the self-standing fold.
- Converts from frame stroller to a child stroller
- Self-standing stroller folds
- Height modifiable handlebar
- Plastic wheels
- The seat can be difficult to recline
- No calf support
- Removable seat for easy transformation into a stylish frame carrier for the key fit
- Large basket easily accessed from front or rear and for children up to 50 pounds. Supports a child from 6 months
- Multi-position reclining seat and all-wheel suspension for baby's comfort
The UPPAbaby G-Luxe Stroller is second to none when you are looking for a stroller for a large child that specializes in comfort. The seat is padded, extra cozy and can hold up to 55 lbs. Meaning your little one can use it for a longer period of time.
When seated, the harness keeps your child safely positioned. The seat can recline nearly flat with an effortless one-handed maneuver. Even the footrest is adjustable to properly support long legs.
The UPF 50+ canopy keeps your little (or not so little) one shaded and cool. A removable glass holder can be attached to the stroller frame and is the ideal size for snacks or a sippy cup.
Parents aren’t forgotten when it comes to features. The enormous lower basket can hold up to 10 pounds. The large wheels can handle most terrains, and turn on a dime.
When it’s time for a rest the one-touch braking system has got you covered. Fold the stroller by compressing the hand-level triggers, no bending required. It can stand on its own when folded or you can take it along by using the carrying strap.
It’s everything you need in a folding stroller designed for on-the-go!
- Can hold up to 55 lbs
- One-touch braking systems
- Removable cup holder
- Hand brake hard to push
- Difficult to steer with one hand
- NEW! 2018 model G-LUXE Stroller
- One-handed actuated recline and adjustable footrest
- Large stretch knit canopy with extendable UPF 50+ sunshade for great sun and wind protection
What To Consider When Buying a Stroller For a Big Kid?
When you’re thinking about browsing strollers for big kids, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Size Requirements and Weight Limit. Perhaps the most important thing is the stroller’s capacity limits. First, check out the maximum stroller weight capacity to make sure your child fits. Then review the height limit to check if it’s big enough for your baby. Some strollers for kids will list a sun canopy height limit or seat height limit, while other strollers may not; leaving you to pursue the stroller features’ reviews.
- Child’s Needs. Perhaps your kid has a special medical condition and you need to consider your child’s specific needs. If that is the case, do you want a five-point harness? More comfortable car seats? Some big kids don’t want a lot of frills, just a simple seat like a wagon. Others need something like a snack tray and cup holder.
- Stroller Type. Think about what type of stroller you will want based on what you plan on using it for. Are you going to be traveling and need a compact stroller option? Do you want something sturdy for everyday use? Or do you need a model that can transform into a travel system when needed? Maybe you are a runner and want to go jogging with your child! There are lots of great options out there, be sure the one you pick will fulfill your needs.
- Useful Features. Your big kid may not need much, but there are several convenience features you may want as a parent. Some of our favorites are easy auto-locking fold, wipe-clean fabrics, a cell phone compartment, accepts car seats adapter, and an modifiable handlebar. It goes without saying for you to find a stroller that meets all your requirements!
- Budget. As always, don’t forget about your budget! Big strollers with their higher weight capacity can get expensive. Likely due to the sturdy frames and sometimes larger size of the stroller and seat.
Your child can keep using a stroller for several years until they meet the maximum weight and height limits. While your child will probably be able to walk at a young age, they still may enjoy the stroller.
Nonetheless, you may want to consider the potential dangers of stroller overuse, as it may interfere with the physical development of a child of age 2 and above, who is perfectly capable of walking.  Moderation is key!
Related: How Old is Too Old for A Stroller?
How much weight a stroller can hold depends on the specific model. Each stroller comes with instructions from the manufacturer that will include a maximum weight capacity for the seat. As a rule of thumb, you want to use a stroller that doesn’t exceed the weight limit stated on the instructions.
Three-wheel strollers tend to be better for big kids if you want something that is agile and easy to push. If you are looking for stability, you may prefer a four-wheel stroller. To each of their own, it ultimately comes down to your own preference and lifestyle with your big kid, plus where you intend to use this stroller. 
Say, if you’re one who enjoy frequent rides with your baby in the neighborhood or short trips to the mall or even grandparents’ house – then a 4-wheeled umbrella stroller would be your ideal pick!
Most strollers do not expire and can be used as long as they are in good working condition. Especially paired with proper implementations of stroller hacks and stroller storage ideas, when maintained effectively, the lifespan of most strollers are surprisingly longer than you would think they are!
You may need to look at specialized strollers, which insurance might cover! This type of reliable stroller is designed to withstand a higher weight capacity (60+ pounds), added comfort and safety features, and are modified to offer the support and stability your child may need. 
To Sum It Up,
There are many great strollers on the market for big kids, in a wide variety of styles and types. If we had to pick one, we would definitely go with the Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight.
It features a durable construction and great wheel design make it easy to push even the biggest kids. Inside, your rider can enjoy a spacious seat and a canopy with plenty of headroom.
If you think a jogger isn’t the right stroller for you, consider our pick for:
- The best umbrella folding stroller – UPPAbaby G-Luxe Stroller
- the best travel stroller – gb Pockit+ All-Terrain Stroller
- The Evenflo Pivot Xplore All-Terrain Stroller Wagon makes a great non-stroller pick too!
Hopefully, this article will lead you to the perfect pick for you and your big kid!
Last update on 2022-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API