Swerving onto the grass to let the neighbor and her feisty dog pass, pushing your little one through the practice field to reach their sibling’s soccer match. As a parent you need to be prepared for anything, and so does your stroller!
An all-terrain stroller can allow you to take your child nearly anywhere. But choosing a great stroller, or in this case- the best stroller can be difficult.
There are a host of features that can make an all-terrain stroller great, and some things that can make it not so great.
In this post, we’ve rounded up some of the top models of the best all-terrain stroller picks to make your search a little easier. Let’s find out!
- Why All-Terrain is the Way to Go
- Why 3-Wheeled Is Preferred?
- The Best All-Terrain Stroller: Top 11 Products
- #1 BOB Revolution Flex Jogging Stroller
- #2 Chicco Activ3 Air Jogging Stroller
- #3 Baby Trend Expedition Stroller
- #4 Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Stroller
- #5 Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller
- #6 BOB Gear Rambler Jogging Stroller
- #7 Britax B-Free Stroller
- #8 Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller
- #9 Evenflo Pivot Xplore All-Terrain Stroller
- #10 Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
- #11 Bumbleride Indie
- What to Consider?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How To Use The All-Terrain Stroller Effectively?
- All Terrain – Anywhere and Anytime!
Why All-Terrain is the Way to Go
Do you need a stroller for all-terrain?
Just as the all-terrain tires in vehicles, all-terrain strollers are known to be able to traverse sidewalks, dirt, grass, and sometimes even sand with ease.  It allows you to take your child to many more places easily and without the worry of getting stuck.
An all-terrain stroller can certainly be a valuable addition to your stockpile of baby gear. But there are a few things to consider when purchasing one for yourself and your little ones.
A rugged stroller can mean bigger tires, making it less compact and heavier. It may also have fewer special features, like trays and storage space, in order to manage weight while still keeping it rugged.
It is important to choose an off road stroller that keeps your desired features in balance. What this means is that if you want an all-terrain stroller, but you also prioritize transportability, you should choose a stroller that is lightweight but also able to traverse a variety of terrains. Or, if you have a larger family, a stroller that can fit three or more may be a better choice.
Sleek models often have great maneuverability but they may lack child comfort features like a parent tray. Prioritizing the features that are most important to you will help you to find what’s best for you and your baby.
Make sure you think about all of your wants and needs before purchasing a rough terrain stroller. Also, keep a few additional factors in mind before you make your purchase. So read on if you completely have no idea on a buying guide!
Why 3-Wheeled Is Preferred?
For years and years, the 4-wheel stroller has been the go-to for many parents, but in recent years, its competitor, the 3 wheel stroller, has started garnering a lot of popularity.
As the name suggests, a 3 wheel baby stroller has three strollers wheel, duh! Two large wheels are present at the back, while a single, comparatively smaller one is present at the front.
The back stroller wheels are responsible for the stability of the stroller, ensuring that it does not tip over, while the front one allows you to maneuver it, even in tight places and with one hand!
3-wheel strollers are best suited as an all-terrain stroller, meaning you can take it practically wherever you want, and your child will be safe in it. Because of this, they are the first choice for many parents that prefer to have an active lifestyle, including jogging and running.
Moreover, as stated before, they are easy to steer and maneuver, even single-handedly!
However, apart from being stylish and sporty, these strollers are also bulky and heavy, particularly because they are big wheel baby strollers. This means difficult to store, transport, carry and load.
Also, since they are newer to the market than the 4-wheel strollers, they are expensive as well as limited in choices, especially when it comes to everyday usage.
To Sum Up
To make it simple for you, if you are looking for an all-terrain umbrella stroller to take with you to the shopping centers or around the neighborhood, a 4-wheeler is an excellent option.
However, if you are big on adventures and will most likely be taking the stroller out in the snow, on the beach, or along a trail, you should definitely consider getting a 3-wheel heavy-duty stroller.  Also, if you have two kids you are keen on sitting in a stroller, you should look for an all-terrain double stroller.
The Best All-Terrain Stroller: Top 11 Products
We have compiled a list of eleven great all-terrain strollers worth a look to help get you started on your search. Here’s a summarised list of our best 5 among the 11 in case you’re in a hurry!
#1 BOB Revolution Flex Jogging Stroller
BOB (Beast of Burden) strollers are known as the Cadillac of strollers. They are known to be top of the line in comfort and luxury strollers when it comes to the jogging and all-terrain. Of course, our top pick, the Revolution 3.0 model is no exception.
A large sun canopy and ventilated seat keep will keep your baby cool, which is a great feature to have especially since you and your baby will be in the outdoors.
This sturdy stroller includes a cushioned seat and smooth mountain bike suspension keep your baby comfortable over every bump.
This stroller also features lunar-shaped reflective accents on the canopy and basket, which boosts the overall safety when using it during hikes. Parents equally love the alternate version (double jogging stroller) – the BOB Revolution Flex Duallie!
- The size and shape of this canopy will keep the sun off from all angles
- Mountain bike suspension provides a smooth ride on uneven terrain
- Ventilated, cushioned seat keeps baby cool and comfortable
- Stroller includes wrist strap for jogging
- Features a two-step fold rather than one, which is a bit of an inconvenience
- Heavy at 28.5 pounds
- All accessories (cup holders, extra storage, etc.) are sold individually
- Smooth ride: Suspension system & air filled tires provide an ultra-smooth ride over any terrain
- Perfect fit: Adjustable handlebar creates the perfect fit for parents of all heights; No-rethread harness design for easy height adjustments
- Extra space: 6 storage pockets & extra-large cargo basket provide plenty of room for your gear; Includes a cell phone pocket at the handlebar
#2 Chicco Activ3 Air Jogging Stroller
The Chicco Activ3 Air Jogging Stroller is not only great for its functionality but also has a sleek and stylish design.
It is perfect to maneuver through all sorts of terrains, including beaches, sidewalks, easy hiking trails, malls, grass, and even a few inches of snow.
The Air Mesh backrest comes in handy during the hotter months, as it provides adequate ventilation without compromising on the comfort of your baby. It is also easy to convert this all-terrain baby stroller into an all-terrain travel system, using the Chicco car seat!
- Among strollers with rubber tires, and a Styrofoam core, that never go flat
- Parent console locks/unlocks the one-handed break
- Easily accessible and large storage basket
- Travel system compatible, possible to use this stroller with a newborn
- Shade cover shields your child from external elements
- Does not fit any all-terrain stroller with a car seat except made by Chicco
- Tons of velcro are used to hold the covering shade in place
- Accepts all Chicco KeyFit and Fit2 car seats with click-in attachment (sold separately)
- Exclusive Control Console with hand-operated swivel and brake controls for unmatched convenience
- Multi-position reclining seat with 3D Air Mesh backrest for improved ventilation
#3 Baby Trend Expedition Stroller
The Baby Trend Stroller is another model that is perfect for parents on the go. This all terrain jogging stroller has some of the features you would find in a traditional stroller.
It includes a parent drink holder and a child tray, both a big plus for when you are going on a longer journey.
The large tires can handle a variety of different types of ground. The front wheel locks and swivels depending on if you are strolling or running with the stroller. The padded seat is comfortable for riders and can recline, perfect for taking a nap!
The five-point harness keeps occupants secure and can support children weighing up to 50 lbs. The features of this stroller make it a good crossover between all terrain and traditional.
- Compress fold
- Bottom storage hamper
- Canopy with a peek
- Offers car seat compatibility, parents may use the stroller from day 1
- Decent performance on uneven terrain
- Accepts BabyTrend infant car seats
- Stroller seat only recommended for children 6 months of age and up
- The front-wheel axle may wear down over time
- Large bicycle tires roll effortlessly over all surfaces
- Front swivel wheel for easy maneuvering, locks for jogging. Recommended use: 6 months - 50 pounds or up to 42
- Reclining padded seat with 5 point harness, tether, large canopy and storage basket
#4 Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Stroller
Next up is the Baby Jogger Stroller. This petite stroller is ideal for parents who plan on hauling it around often. Its compact frame folds very easily. When combined with its lightweight design this makes getting it in and out of your vehicle or storage a breeze.
Even though it is called a “mini” it can accommodate children weighing up to 65 pounds. The “forever air” rubber tires are extra durable and the suspension system allows it to travel over nearly any type of terrain.
The adjustable handlebar and hand brake results in a comfortable yet safe stroller experience for parents. They will also appreciate the modest storage crate found under the seat.
- Small and compact for max portability
- Available in five different colors
- Connects to City Go infant car seats if you want to run with infants
- Travel system compatible with infant car seat adapters
- Difficult to open
- Small storage
- Forever air rubber tires with all-wheel suspension provide a comfortable stroll on any terrain
- Adjustable handlebar and hand-operated parking brake provide comfortable steering and control, all within arm's reach
- Customize your ride for 4 different modes of use with accessories like the infant car seat, pram, glider board, parent console, child tray, and more (sold separately)
#5 Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller
Competing with none other than the Baby Jogger Summit X3 for the spot of best hiking stroller is the Chicco TRE. The extremely versatile Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller is an all-terrain baby travel system.
The seat is easily removable from the frame. Once removed an infant seat can be attached. Extending the lifespan of the stroller for jogging is not recommended for infants under six months of age.
The large pneumatic tires can effortlessly traverse a myriad of terrains. The suspension system is very unique in that it is adjustable. If you are using the stroller over rough ground, you can adjust to a soft ride; if you are jogging on pavement or smooth surfaces you can adjust to a firm ride.
The performance fabrics are a breeze to clean, just wipe them down! They are also water and wind-resistant, making them quite durable. The nifty storage pouch has a zippered compartment, a pocket, and a drink holder – perfect for storing all your stroller accessories.
This is in addition to the spacious bottom basket for storage. This travel system compatible model is designed to provide for authentic sporty and active parents- in short, your ideal choice of an everyday stroller!
- Large oversized pneumatic tires
- Full coverage canopy with mesh peek-a-boo window
- Three different fold configurations: self-standing, flat, and compact
- Stroller for jogging with handbrake system
- Travel system compatible
- Handbrake can be hard to use
- Folding mechanism is counterintuitive
- The child seat removes easily to create a frame carrier for the KeyFit during the first 6 months
- Sporty fabrics are wipe able, durable and water repellent. Full-coverage, extendable canopy with flippable tinted window/mesh vent
- Pneumatic tires, 12" front and 16" rear spoked wheels , Carton Dimensions - 22.7 x 32.13 x 12.78 inches
#6 BOB Gear Rambler Jogging Stroller
The BOB Gear Rambler Jogging Stroller is a lightweight all-terrain stroller that can accompany you on all terrains as the signature shock feature and suspension system allow a comfortable and ultra-smooth ride on bumpy uneasy grounds.
Apart from being lightweight, the aluminum frame and large air-filled wheels are compact and barely take any space in the trunk.
- Fully upright padded seating
- One-hand seat recline adjustment
- Water-resistant extra-large canopy
- Compatible with most major brand car seats (accessory required)
- Large cargo basket under the stroller seat
- Not among strollers with adjustable handles
- No storage pouch
- Smooth ride: Suspension system provides an ultra-smooth ride; Compact, air-filled tires save on trunk space
- Perfect Fit: No-rethread harness design for easy height adjustments as your child grows
- Extra space: Large lowboy cargo basket for spacious storage underneath the stroller seat
#7 Britax B-Free Stroller
The Britax B-Free Stroller is a no-nonsense single stroller for all kinds of terrains. The slim frame makes it very lightweight and extremely maneuverable. The three wheeled design with rubber wheels makes for a smooth ride no matter where you are traveling.
The large lower basket is ideal for taking along and storing all your necessities. Plus, there is an additional zippered storage pouch hanging off the adjustable handlebars.
Occupants will enjoy the reclining seat. The canopy that is extendable will keep them cool while the peek-a-boo window lets you check in on them without having to pull it back.
It easily accepts Britax infant seats and transforms into a travel system without any special car seat adapters. With a maximum weight limit of 65 pounds, you could be using this rugged stroller from birth until age 6! It is all in the name, the B-Free, gives you the freedom to go anywhere.
- UPF 50+ canopy
- Lightweight at 20lbs
- Available in six different colors
- Travel system compatible
- The seat does not sit fully upright
- Front-wheel comes off very easily
- The B-Free stroller is lightweight with a 3-wheel design for ultimate maneuverability, all-terrain rubber tires and one-hand, quick fold
- Ride comfortably: Cool flow ventilated mesh fabric improves air flow to keep your child cool and comfortable
- Convenient features: Adjustable handlebar, 7 storage pockets, XL storage basket with front access, UV50+ expandable canopy and peek a boo window
#8 Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller
The Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller is a high-performance off-road stroller – which makes it come second in line as our favorite pick competing with the BOB Revolution Flex Jogging Stroller. The large bicycle-style wheels can handle bumps with ease.
The swivel wheel in the front is ideal for walking while the front wheel lock and brakes are hand-operated, allowing you to have full access over your wheels. Need more reasons why it’s recommended to use this stroller on hiking trails?
The narrow design is extremely maneuverable – why is why we think that this model is one of the best hiking strollers out there on the market. Your little one will be cozy in the padded and ventilated seat, complete with a one-handed recline.
Those pushing will love the ergonomic and adjustable handlebars that can be modified according to different heights. The twisting handbrake is a runner’s best friend. Down below, a zippered large storage basket keeps contents safe and dry.
- Water-resistant fabric will prevent mold and mildew growth
- Fully adjustable sunshade provides protection from rain and sun
- Ventilated seat allows airflow
- Seat reclines completely flat for maximum comfort
- Product comes with safety wrist strap and hand brake
- Canopy does not extend very far
- A lightweight, all-terrain stroller perfect for jogging or strolling through town
- Swivel front wheel locks into place for jogging
- Large 16" rear wheels plus suspension for an ultra smooth ride
#9 Evenflo Pivot Xplore All-Terrain Stroller
The Evenflo Pivot Xplore is probably the most innovative all-terrain strollers of all.
The primary characteristic that makes it stand out the most from the rest is its push or pull feature, meaning that only by a flip of the handle and a click of a button you can either push it as a stroller or pull it as a stroller wagon, making it among the few strollers with reversible handle. Cool, no?
- UPF 50-plus canopy shields your child from sun rays
- A handy snack tray for on-the-go snacks.
- Convenient switch between a push stroller and a pull wagon
- Easy access basket
- Enough space to fit two kids at one time (up to 5 years old)
- Does not fold flat, taking up most of a minivan or car trunk
- Has a 3-point instead of a 5-point safety harness
- Push or pull, decide on the fly. It’s easy to adapt your ride with a flip of the handle
- All-terrain wheels give you the freedom to go from pavement to beach and beyond
- Canopies with UPF 50-plus help shield your child from the sun’s harmful rays
#10 Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
The Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller is as lightweight as they come. Parents who plan to travel often need a stroller that is somewhat portable- and this one is right for you! The aluminum frame is not heavy in the least.
Its compress fold allows it to fit nearly anywhere. The signature large rear wheels in most jogging strollers, including this one, have a quick remove design so you can easily store everything in a trunk or tight space.
When the wheels are attached, they allow you to traverse all types of surfaces. The shock-absorbing suspension results in an ultra-smooth ride. The oversized canopy, parent organizer, and large storage basket round out this stroller’s features.
It is perfectly sized, no matter how big your toddler gets, thanks to the extra-wide seat and 22 inches of headroom. This rugged stroller is a breeze to operate, perfect for active families.
- Easy to maneuver and assemble
- Includes running leash
- Accommodates children weighing up to 75lbs
- Removable rear wheels
- Not easy to fold and unfold
- Front-wheel easily comes loose
- Extra wide seat sits high to give child great visibility, multi-position seat recline
- Includes parent organizer, running leash, and tire pump
- Quick release 16" rear wheels and 12.5" swivel front wheel that locks straight
#11 Bumbleride Indie
The Bumbleride Indie is an all-terrain umbrella stroller. This lightweight stroller is designed for those parents who have a comparatively more active lifestyle than others.
You can take it out with you on your morning jogs or evening runs, as not only does it have the smoothest push, but it also offers your child the most comfortable ride.
- Durability, from birth till toddlerhood
- One-step fold with ergonomic trigger release and automatic front wheel lock
- Adjustable footrest for infant option and deep footwell for toddlers
- 5-point breakaway harness
- Removable and machine washable seat fabric and canopy
- Air-filled stroller wheels
- No proper ventilation
- The cloth snack tray is impossible to keep clean
- Adjustable handle with TPR grip (PVC free) with safety strap included.
- One step hinged fold with ergonomic trigger release and auto-lock.
- One-handed backrest recline.
- Large cargo basket with storage for air pump (pump included).
- Air-filled stroller tires (12”) and all wheel suspension.
What to Consider?
Jogging, hiking, umbrella, double strollers, and of course – all-terrain strollers. So many to choose from! Which one is the best for me?
Along with your desired stroller features in the ideal all-terrain stroller, you should also consider a few key factors. Thinking about things like portability, size, weight, and price are vital when choosing a product for your little one.
While there are a few slim models of products in the market, most are bulkier than their counterparts. This is because they have larger and more rugged wheels to help them cover difficult ground. The size can determine how easy to maneuver it is and travel with your stroller.
Think about if you want a compact stroller that can fit in your car and is easy to store or if you have space for a larger one.
The large and tough wheels, as well as the sturdy frame can make all-terrain child strollers a bit heavier than other styles of stroller. If you are looking for something specially for physical activities, you may want a lighter model. 
Additionally, think about the effort required when folding and unfolding your stroller, pushing it plus carrying around or up a walk-up apartment.
Not all all-terrain strollers are created equal. Some are equipped to handle a few grassy patches and others can withstand gravel roads or sandy beaches. Consider what type of uneven terrain you regularly encounter as you survey and shop for a specific product.
Some products are designed for specific purposes, for example, hiking strollers and jogging strollers. Do you need just a regular stroller for all kinds of terrains or are you looking for one that will suit your athletic lifestyle?
Different than special uses, special features are things like a canopy, a cup holder, and storage space. While traditional strollers usually have special features in spades, this type of stroller tends to be paired down to conserve weight and space.
Most jogging strollers and all-terrain strollers are lightweight, which goes hand in hand with transportability. However, some fold more easily and more covenant than the others. Additionally, a few models fold near flat and even have removable tires, making toting them around a breeze.
The truth is, there are a lot of things to keep in mind when searching for your perfect all-terrain stroller. And on top of all of these considerations, you want your baby to be safe, first and foremost. 
So think of what’s important to you and prioritise your baby’s and your needs as you make a purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are all-terrain strollers good for everyday use?
The idea of using an all-terrain stroller for everyday use might seem peculiar, but it is not impractical, to say the least.
The additional noteworthy features of an all-terrain umbrella stroller come in handy for daily use, also allowing you to multi-task at times, which is probably something all parents want.
You can use your all-terrain child stroller practically everywhere without worrying about the surface and floor. Apart from this, the big wheel baby stroller also offers increased stability, increased navigation, and great protection.
Can I use an all-terrain stroller with my newborn?
You can use a stroller for all terrains for your newborn, but only for specific models. Specifically speaking, you should only put your newborn in an all-terrain baby stroller if it is an all-terrain stroller with car seat or carrycot attached with it.
However, since most models of all-terrain strollers usually don’t offer infant car seat compatibility, they are not recommended for infants under six months old.
What’s the difference between an all-terrain stroller and a jogging stroller?
Most people confuse that an all-terrain stroller and an all-terrain jogging stroller are the same, but in reality, they are not. Even most stroller companies use the terms interchangeably, as many of the features of both also overlap.
However, all-terrain joggers are specifically made for jogging parents, while all-terrain baby strollers are an intermediate between walking and jogging strollers.
Since all-terrain strollers are a hybrid between regular and jogging strollers, they should only be used for light jogs. If you are more inclined towards regular, serious jogging, you should consider investing in a jogging stroller and get a model that corresponds with your family size – double jogger for two and triple jogging stroller for three kids.
Play around with your stroller and modify its adjustable handles and suspension to make your jog more comfortable. Use wrist straps that can be commonly purchased separately as an extra measure of safety! 
Can you take an all-terrain stroller on the beach?
Practically speaking, an all-terrain stroller works fine on the beach without causing any hiccups or difficulties on the way. However, if you are an extremely outgoing family who makes several trips to the beach each month, you should probably invest in a beach stroller.
The same could be said for parents who especially adore hiking. Getting the best hiking strollers not only keeps your baby safe but also provides actual value for money depending on your active lifestyle.
How To Use The All-Terrain Stroller Effectively?
Honestly, you can never pack enough when you are going out with your child. However, make sure not to go overboard with the packing as it will only end up making the stroller heavy.
Put away all your stuff in the storage crate instead of loading it on the handlebars, as increased weight on handlebars might topple over the stroller! 
You may be interested in: What to Pack When Traveling With Baby: Packing For Your Child’s First Trip, Lists and Tips!
Use A Weather Shield
You might enjoy the drizzling rain or the hot sun, but your child may not. So, ensure to make full use of the covering shield to protect your little one from the weather. Also, dress your child in appropriate clothing, depending upon the weather.
Here’s an example of how you can attach a toddler seat rain cover to your stroller:
Always Be in Control
No matter how tempted you feel to walk hands-free and leave the stroller for a while, do not do it until and unless the brakes on the stroller are in action. Also, always keep your stroller, especially all terrain double stroller with big wheels, and your child within your sight.
All Terrain – Anywhere and Anytime!
A stroller for all kinds of terrains can easily become the only stroller you will ever need and make your life easier!
They are lightweight, versatile, and great at traveling wherever you need them to. While some models are great for a specific activity, just like most single strollers, others can be used almost all the time.
Its versatility and inclusion of multiple features make the BOB Revolution Flex Jogging Stroller the clear winner and the best stroller overall out of this list.
Which stroller in our list is your favorite? If you enjoyed reading our top picks, do us a favor and share this article to those in need!
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API