Swerving onto the grass to let the neighbor and her feisty dog pass, pushing your little one through the practice field to reach their sibling’s soccer match. As a parent you need to be prepared for anything, and so does your stroller!
An all-terrain stroller can allow you to take your child nearly anywhere. But choosing a great stroller, or in this case- the best stroller can be difficult.
There are a host of features that can make an all-terrain stroller great, and some things that can make it not so great. We adore the Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller for its overall best functionality, but that’s not the only best all-terrain stroller.
We’ve rounded up some of the top models to make your search a little easier.
- Why All-Terrain is the Way to Go
- The Best All-Terrain Stroller: Top Ten Products
- #1 BOB Gear Alterrain Pro Jogging Stroller
- #2 Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
- #3 Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Stroller
- #4 Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller
- #5 Graco Modes Jogger SE Jogging Stroller
- #6 Britax B-Free Stroller
- #7 Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller
- #8 Delta Children Jeep Sport Utility All-Terrain Stroller
- #9 Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
- #10 Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System
- What to Consider?
- All Terrain – Anywhere and Anytime!
Why All-Terrain is the Way to Go
Do you need a stroller for all-terrain? All-terrain strollers are known to be able to traverse sidewalks, dirt, grass, and sometimes even sand with ease. It allows you to take your child to many more places easily and without the worry of getting stuck.
An all-terrain stroller can certainly be a valuable addition to your stockpile of baby gear. But there are a few things to consider when purchasing one for yourself and your little ones.
A rugged stroller can mean bigger tires, making it less compact and heavier. It may also have fewer special features, like trays and storage space, in order to manage weight while still keeping it rugged.
It is important to choose an off road stroller that keeps your desired features in balance. What this means is that if you want an all-terrain stroller, but you also prioritize transportability, you should choose a stroller that is lightweight but also able to traverse a variety of terrains.
Sleek models often have great maneuverability but they may lack child comfort features like a tray. Prioritizing the features that are most important to you will help you to find what’s best for you and your baby.
Make sure you think about all of your wants and needs before purchasing a rough terrain stroller. Also, keep a few additional factors in mind before you make your purchase. So read on if you completely have no idea on a buying guide!
The Best All-Terrain Stroller: Top Ten Products
We have compiled a list of ten great all-terrain strollers worth a look to help get you started on your search. Here’s a summarised list of our best 5 among the 10 in case you’re in a hurry!
#1 BOB Gear Alterrain Pro Jogging Stroller
First up is the BOB Gear Alterrain Pro Jogging Stroller. As the product name implies, jogging strollers are made for jogging purposes- this one is no exception! Because you will already be huffing and puffing while running with this stroller it has a sleek frame and is lightweight. But its slim build doesn’t mean that it isn’t all-terrain.
The Smoothshox suspension and oversized air-filled tires mean it can handle a variety of terrains all while keeping the ride perfectly smooth. Running enthusiasts will love the performance fabrics, handbrake system, and reflective rims. The front swivel wheel can be unlocked when walking and locked into place when running on firm surfaces.
Stroller occupants will appreciate the full coverage canopy. It is both waterproof and UPF 50+ rated to keep your little one safe. This stroller is truly a runner’s dream.
- Easy one-handed fold
- Has storage containers underneath
- No tray for parent or child
- High end and pricey
- Fold & Go: 1 hand, quick fold collapses the stroller to a self standing position with a single twist of the hand
- Rugged elegance: Sleek frame, performance fabrics and reflective rims turn heads on the hiking trail or city street; Lunar fashion is ultra reflective
- Smooth ride: Smoothshox suspension and air filled tires balance out the ride for your little adventurer, so you can take on any terrain
#2 Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
The Baby Trend Stroller is another model that is perfect for parents on the go. This all terrain jogging stroller has some of the features you would find in a traditional stroller. It includes a parent drink holder and a child tray, both a big plus for when you are going on a longer journey.
The large tires can handle a variety of different types of ground. The front wheel locks and swivels depending on if you are strolling or running with the stroller. The padded seat is comfortable for riders and can recline, perfect for taking a nap!
The five-point harness keeps occupants secure and can support children weighing up to fifty pounds. The features of this stroller make it a good crossover between all terrain and traditional.
- Compact fold
- Bottom storage hamper
- Canopy with a peek
- Accepts BabyTrend infant car seats
- Stroller seat only recommended for children 6 months of age and up
- The front-wheel axle may wear down over time
- Large bicycle tires roll effortlessly over all surfaces
- Front swivel wheel for easy maneuvering, locks for jogging. Recommended use: 6 months - 50 pounds or up to 42
- Reclining padded seat with 5 point harness, tether, large canopy and storage basket
#3 Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Stroller
Next up is the Baby Jogger Stroller. This petite stroller is ideal for parents who plan on hauling it around often. Its compact frame folds very easily. When combined with its lightweight design this makes getting it in and out of your vehicle or storage a breeze.
Even though it is called a “mini” it can accommodate children weighing up to 65 pounds. The “forever air” rubber tires are extra durable and the suspension system allows it to travel over nearly any type of terrain.
The adjustable handlebar and hand brake results in a comfortable yet safe stroller experience for parents. They will also appreciate the modest storage basket found under the seat.
- Small and compact for max portability
- Available in five different colors
- Connects to City Go infant car seats
- Difficult to open
- Small storage
- Forever air rubber tires with all-wheel suspension provide a comfortable stroll on any terrain
- Adjustable handlebar and hand-operated parking brake provide comfortable steering and control, all within arm's reach
- Customize your ride for 4 different modes of use with accessories like the infant car seat, pram, glider board, parent console, child tray, and more (sold separately)
#4 Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller
The extremely versatile Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller is an all-terrain baby travel system. The seat is easily removable from the frame. Once removed an infant seat can be attached. Extending the lifespan of the stroller as joggers are not recommended for infants under six months of age.
The large pneumatic tires can effortlessly traverse a myriad of terrains. The suspension system is very unique in that it is adjustable. If you are strolling over rough ground, you can adjust to a soft ride, if you are jogging on pavement or smooth surface you can adjust to a firm ride.
The performance fabrics are a breeze to clean, just wipe them down! They are also water and wind-resistant, making them quite durable. The nifty storage pouch has a zippered compartment, a pocket, and a drink holder.
This is in addition to the spacious bottom basket for storage. This product is designed for authentic sporty and active parents- in short, your perfect choice of an everyday stroller!
- Large oversized pneumatic tires
- Full coverage canopy with mesh peek-a-boo window
- Three different fold configurations: self-standing, flat, and compact
- Handbrake system
- Handbrake can be hard to use
- Folding mechanism is counterintuitive
- The child seat removes easily to create a frame carrier for the KeyFit during the first 6 months
- Sporty fabrics are wipe able, durable and water repellent. Full-coverage, extendable canopy with flippable tinted window/mesh vent
- Pneumatic tires, 12" front and 16" rear spoked wheels , Carton Dimensions - 22.7 x 32.13 x 12.78 inches
#5 Graco Modes Jogger SE Jogging Stroller
The Graco Modes Jogger SE Jogging Stroller is perhaps the most versatile all terrain jogging stroller. It offers an impressive seven different riding positions; keeping your child safe and comfortable from young infants to older children.
The reclining seat becomes a bassinet when your baby is facing you. When you turn them around the multi-position recline lays nearly flat. As they grow you can convert from a five-point harness to a three-point harness.
The large air tires equipped with a suspension system make for a smooth ride on any type of ground. Full of features, this stroller has a parent tray, a child tray, and a large storage. You can take everything you need with you when you step out!
This adjustable rough terrain stroller will quickly become a favorite.
- Self-standing fold
- Wipe clean performance fabrics
- Stretchable canopy
- A bit on the bulky side
- Not a one-handed easy fold
- Stroller offers 7 different riding positions, giving mom all the options she needs as the child grows
- The reversible modular stroller seat allows baby to face you or the world, with multi-position recline for added comfort
- Reclining seat converts to cozy infant bassinet for on-the-go comfort for baby. DO NOT use bleach, abrasive sponges like scrubbing or brillo pads, or cleaning solutions that are not labeled “gentle” or “mild.” Doing so over time may tear, break or weaken the fibers of the straps
#6 Britax B-Free Stroller
The Britax B-Free Stroller is a no-nonsense all terrain stroller. The slim frame makes it very lightweight and extremely maneuverable. The three wheeled design with rubber wheels makes for a smooth ride no matter where you are traveling.
The large lower basket is ideal for taking along and storing all your necessities. Plus, there is an additional zippered storage pouch hanging off the adjustable handlebars. Occupants will enjoy the reclining seat. The canopy that is extendable will keep them cool while the peek-a-boo window lets you check in on them.
It easily accepts Britax infant seats without special car seat adapters. With a max weight limit of 65 pounds, you could be using this rugged stroller from birth until age 6! It is all in the name, the B-Free, gives you the freedom to go anywhere.
- UPF 50+ canopy
- Lightweight at 20lbs
- Available in six different colors
- The seat does not sit fully upright
- Front-wheel comes off very easily
- The B-Free stroller is lightweight with a 3-wheel design for ultimate maneuverability, all-terrain rubber tires and one-hand, quick fold
- Ride comfortably: Cool flow ventilated mesh fabric improves air flow to keep your child cool and comfortable
- Convenient features: Adjustable handlebar, 7 storage pockets, XL storage basket with front access, UV50+ expandable canopy and peek a boo window
#7 Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller
The Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller is a high-performance off-road stroller. The large bicycle-style wheels can handle bumps with ease. The swivel wheel in the front is ideal for walking and can be locked into place when jogging.
The narrow design is extremely maneuverable. Your little one will be cozy in the padded and ventilated seat, complete with a one-handed recline.
Those pushing will love the ergonomic and adjustable handlebars that can be modified according to different heights. The twisting handbrake is a runner’s best friend. Down below, a large zippered storage basket keeps contents safe and dry.
- Reflective wheel rims and canopy edge
- One-handed easy fold
- Available in five different colors
- Canopy does not extend very far
- A lightweight, all-terrain stroller perfect for jogging or strolling through town
- Swivel front wheel locks into place for jogging
- Large 16" rear wheels plus suspension for an ultra smooth ride
#8 Delta Children Jeep Sport Utility All-Terrain Stroller
The Delta Children Jeep Sport Utility All-Terrain Stroller is the perfect everyday stroller for those who want a sporty model without giving up traditional features. This petitely sized stroller is lightweight and compact, so much so that it meets Disney’s strict size requirements.
But that doesn’t mean it lacks in offerings. The seat is cozy and padded. The five-point safety harness has reflective, removable shoulder pads. The entire seat frame can be removed to accommodate an infant character. Or, it can be converted to a carriage style so the infant can face the parent and used as a traditional forward-facing seat as the child ages.
A pop-out sun visor, swing away child’s bar, and parent tray with storage complete the host of offerings. This rough terrain stroller can traverse all types of ground while keeping everyone comfortable and happy.
- Wheels both swivel and lock
- One-touch braking system
- Flat & easy fold design for travel
- The four-wheel system instead of three
- For children up to 50 lbs.; Meets Disney size requirements; 3-in-1 design; Holds your car seat on the frame with included adapter; Carriage-style infant stroller that faces you; Reversible upright toddler stroller w, adjustable recline & footrest
- Lightweight, aluminum frame; Extendable European-style canopy with peak-a-boo window and pop out SPF 50 sun visor; Adjustable handle provides the perfect fit for parents of all heights
- Five-point safety harness with soft shoulder pads and reflective piping; Removable, swing away child bar allows you to easily get your child in and out; Includes detachable parent organizer that holds diapers, bottles and more
#9 Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
The Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller is as lightweight as they come. Parents who plan to travel often need a stroller that is somewhat portable- and this one is right for you! The aluminum frame is not heavy in the least.
Its compact fold allows it to fit nearly anywhere. The signature large rear wheels in most jogging strollers, including this one, have a quick remove design so you can easily store everything in a trunk or tight space.
When the wheels are attached, they allow you to traverse all types of surfaces. The shock-absorbing suspension results in an ultra-smooth ride. The extra large canopy, parent organizer, and storage basket round out this stroller’s features.
It is perfectly sized, no matter how big your toddler gets, thanks to the extra-wide seat and 22 inches of headroom. This rugged stroller is a breeze to operate, perfect for active families.
- Easy to assemble and maneuver
- Includes running leash
- Accommodates children weighing up to 75lbs
- Removable rear wheels
- Difficult to fold and unfold
- Front-wheel easily comes loose
- Extra wide seat sits high to give child great visibility, multi-position seat recline
- Includes parent organizer, running leash, and tire pump
- Quick release 16" rear wheels and 12.5" swivel front wheel that locks straight
#10 Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System
Looking for an all-terrain stroller travel system? The Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System has got you covered. This versatile system can be used in carriage mode, toddler/older child mode, or as a frame to which you can connect a car seat. In each mode the child can face multiple directions, giving you six possible modes in total.
The lightweight frame and sturdy tires are what make it all-terrain, keeping the ride smooth wherever the day takes you. The oversized storage basket, extra large canopy, and removable child arm bar keep your child safe and satisfied with their experience.
Easy to clean thanks to the wipe-down fabrics and removable seat pad, use this stroller with its all terrain travel system and it will make your life much easier!
- Includes a parent drink holder
- Child armbar includes a snack tray
- Available in three colors
- Difficult to attach the car seat
- The four-wheel system is harder to maneuver
Further reading: The 5 Best Baby Travel System
- FLEXIBLE INFANT TRAVEL SYSTEM: The Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System is a car seat and stroller combo featuring the SafeMax Rear-Facing Infant Car Seat and SafeZone Base with anti-rebound bar, infused with parent-and child-friendly accessories.
- VERSATILE & LIGHTWEIGHT: This car seat and stroller combo features a modular frame with 6 modes. The reversible mode permits your baby to face in or out, while the stroller coverts from an infant car seat frame to stroller seat or carriage mode with ease.
- EASY INFANT CAR SEAT TRANSFER: This car seat and stroller combo has been designed with a stay-in-car base that allows for a quick and safe infant car seat connection from stroller to car and vice-versa.
What to Consider?
Jogging, hiking, umbrella, double strollers, and of course- all-terrain stroller. So many to choose from! Which one is the best for me? Along with your desired stroller features in the ideal all-terrain stroller, you should also consider a few key factors. Thinking about things like portability, size, weight, and price are vital when choosing a product for your little one.
Size. While there are a few slim models of products in the market, most are bulkier than their counterparts. This is because they have larger and more rugged wheels to help them cover difficult ground. The size can determine how easy it is to maneuver and travel with your stroller. Think about if you want a compact stroller that can fit in your car and is easy to store or if you have space for a larger one.
Weight. The large and tough wheels, as well as the sturdy frame can make all-terrain strollers a bit heavier than other styles of stroller. If you hope to use your stroller for physical activity, you may want a lighter model. Additionally, think about the effort required when folding and unfolding your stroller, pushing it plus carrying around or up a walk-up apartment.
Ruggedness. Not all all-terrain strollers are created equal. Some are equipped to handle a few grassy patches and others can withstand gravel roads or sandy beaches. Consider what type of terrain you regularly encounter as you survey and shop for a specific product.
Special Uses. Some products are designed for specific purposes, for example, jogging strollers. Do you need just a regular all terrain stroller or are you looking for one that will suit your athletic lifestyle?
Special Features. Different than special uses, special features are things like a canopy, a cup holder, and storage space. While traditional strollers usually have special features in spades, this type of stroller tends to be paired down to conserve weight and space.
Read also: Best Umbrella Stroller
Portability. Most jogging strollers and all-terrain strollers are lightweight, which goes hand in hand with transportability. However, some fold more easily and more compact than others. Additionally, a few models fold flat and even have removable tires, making toting them around a breeze.
The truth is, there are a lot of things to keep in mind when searching for your perfect all-terrain stroller. And on top of all of these considerations, you want your baby to be safe, first and foremost.
So think of what’s important to you and prioritise your baby’s and your needs as you make a purchase.
All Terrain – Anywhere and Anytime!
An all-terrain stroller can easily become the only stroller you will ever need. They are lightweight, versatile, and great at traveling wherever you need them to. While some models are great for a specific activity, just like most single strollers, others can be used almost all the time.
Its versatility and inclusion of multiple features make the Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller the clear winner and the best overall out of this list. It can traverse any terrain easily and will keep children and parents comfortable with its plush seat, child tray, handbrake system, and more.
Which stroller in our list is your favorite? If you enjoyed reading our top picks, do us a favor and share this article to those in need!
Last update on 2021-07-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API