When it comes to buying baby stuff, you would want to get the best value for your money. We would want to invest in items that have multiple functions and those that your baby can use from his infancy to toddlerhood. This is the reason why a lot of parents are buying play pen and playard for their children.
These days, baby brands have their version of playards, and all of them come with newfangled features that will wow you.
Because of this, the big question remains—what is the best newborn pack and play for your baby? This is the question that we will answer in this simple buying guide, so continue reading!
Best Newborn Pack n Play Summary Table
Why and How to Use Newborn Pack and Play
As parents, we would want to make sure that your baby is safe and sound at all times, but there are times when we have to leave the baby unattended for a while, especially a newborn. That is what the best pack n play for newborn is for.
The primary purpose of a pack n play and playard is to provide a safe play zone for your little one while you are busy. One edge that it has over other play areas is its portability. It is foldable, compact, and portable enough that you can bring it with you on your travel.
Depending on its features, a newborn pack and play can also double as other baby must-haves. It can be a diaper changing table and a bassinet.
Can a newborn sleep in a pack n play? Yes, of course! If you want your baby to feel comfortable sleeping in his playard, I suggest that you get one with a newborn napper.
I was also confused about whether I should buy a bassinet or pack n play for newborn, but I realized the pack n play offers more benefits. So far, it is one of my most favorite baby item purchases!
Factors to Keep in Mind When Choosing the Best Playard for Newborn
To make the most out of your investment, it is a must that you choose your newborn pack and play and playard wisely. To do that, here are some of the crucial considerations that you should take into account:
Playards comes in two varieties—basic and deluxe. The basic playard has all the standard features– storage pockets and removable bassinet. It is highly compact, portable, and lightweight.
On the other hand, the deluxe playard comes with all the bells and whistles such as baby massage chairs, removable changing table, electronic entertainment. It is also a lot more durable and a bit heavier.
Dimensions and Weight
The heavier the playard, the less portable it is. On the other hand, you need to consider the size of the product to ensure that it can be able to fit your living space or baby’s room.
Pack n plays have their weight capacity limit. You must familiarize yourself with this factor since once your child reaches or goes beyond that limit, it is no longer safe for him to use the pack n play.
To ensure that you can use the product for as long as possible, it would be best that you go for the item with the highest weight limit.
If you plan to bring your playard with you on your trips, it would be best that you go for one that is highly compact when folded and lightweight. Moreover, you would also want the pack and play to have either wheels or casters.
This is another factor that you have to keep in mind if you plan to bring the product when you travel. You need to make sure that the playard is designed for easy assembly. Some of the features you need to look for are folding feet and simple design.
The materials must be durable, and the fabric must not be too soft as it can pose a risk to your baby. The fence must also be tall enough to prevent your baby from falling. Lastly, it must have lockable wheels so it can be secured in place.
Other features are storage (pockets, storage pouches, fabric shelves, an organizer bags) and entertainment features (detachable baby gym, mobile, and electronic entertainment centers with music and lights). Lastly, a canopy can protect your baby from harsh light.
A Closer Look at 6 of The Best Pack n Play For Newborn
Here are the essential features and information you need to know about the top 6 newborn pack and play in the market:
1. Graco Pack ‘n Play Newborn Seat DLX Playard
The first time I saw the Graco Pack n Play Newborn Napper DLX, I fell in love with how beautiful its classic gray color and subtle textures are for a newborn pack and play.
This Graco Pack ‘n Play model features Newborn napping and seat station lined with a micro-fleece fabric that is extra-soft and feels warm on the baby’s skin. It also has mesh sides that promote better airflow. The Graco Pack n Play with Newborn Napper and seat station even comes with a highly stable and large diaper changing station.
This best play n play for newborn sleeping also has built-in zippered storage shelves that allow you to store baby’s clothes, toys, and diapers in an easy-to-access location.
This is also one of the best Graco Pack ‘n Play models known for its electronic entertainment module that can play 5 classical songs and 5 nature sounds and produce vibrations with 2-speed settings.
- Stylish, soft and quilted mattress designed for baby’s comfort
- Comes with a canopy to protect the baby from harsh lights
- Push-button folding mechanism for hassle-free folding and storage
- Equipped with a toy bar where you can hang plush toys
- Extended changing table for easy diaper changing process
- A bit pricey
- Newborn napper can only be used until the baby is three months old
To know how to assemble the playard’s napper, watch this video:
- Newborn Seat station has beautifully-styled, extra-soft micro-fleece fabric that cuddles baby
- Stylish, built-in storage shelves create nursery-like convenience right in your living room
- Canopy keeps baby shielded from direct light and keeps them soothed any time of day
2. Delta Children LX Deluxe Portable Baby Play Yard
The playard full size bassinet for newborn can accommodate up to 15 pounds while the massive changing table can hold up to 25 pounds. The fence of Delta Children LX Deluxe Portable Baby Play Yard can protect children that are 35 inches tall and below.
With its removable mobile arm where you can hang plush toys, this newborn pack and play is designed to be fun for babies. With its changing station has a waterproof surface and it has a small snap-on storage compartment, it is also designed for your convenience.
It is also highly portable as it has two moving wheels and comes with a carrying storage bag.
- Comes with carrying bag
- Equipped with wheels for easy transport from one room to another
- Full-size playard can accommodate your child even as he grows
- Affordable price
- Certified to meet CPSC and ASTM safety standards
- Playard has a strong chemical smell
- Poor customer service
- RECOMMENDED USE: Deluxe Play Yard features a removable full size bassinet and changing table; Bassinet holds up to 15 pounds; Changing Table holds up to 25 pounds; Play Yard holds children up to 35 Inches tall
- FUN FOR BABY, EASY FOR YOU: Removable mobile arm with hanging plush toys engages early visual development; Removable changing table station features waterproof surface; Snap on hanging storage compartment for diapers, wipes and other toiletries
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY: Quick and compact fold; Includes carrying bag for fuss free travel or storage; Easy to pack; Great mini crib alternative; Two wheels allow for easy movement from room to room; Easy to assemble; no tools required
3. Graco My View 4 in 1 Bassinet
The Graco Pack n Play Playard with newborn napper station LX can be used in 4 different ways and is designed to help and be with your child until toddlerhood.
The first stage is the raised bassinet, which is positioned at your eye level so you can check on your baby without having to get up.
The second stage is the crib-level bassinet that allows you to get the baby in and out without any hassle.
The third stage of the bassinet is the removable travel infant bassinet, which permits you to place your baby by your side.
Last but not the least, the newborn pack and play can be a spacious bassinet which is perfect for a toddler.
With all the stages that it undergoes, we can consider this Graco My View 4 in 1 Bassinet Playard to be the best pack n play for newborn sleeping and toddler playtime.
To further understand the different stages of this playard, watch this video:
- Smooth and easy transition from one stage to the other
- Comes with canopy where you can hang soft toys
- Integrated wheels for easy transport
- The canopy can also block out harsh light
- Push-button folding mechanism for easy disassembly
- No ready-made sheets that can suit the size of the pack n play
- The mattress has a strong chemical smell
- 4 different ways to use to grow with baby from newborn to toddler
- Stage 1: Raised bassinet for newborn positions baby at your eye level for check-ins throughout the night without having to get out of bed
- Stage 2: Crib-level bassinet for infant offers a cozy, elevated spot for baby to sleep, making it easy to get baby in and out
4. Ingenuity Smart and Simple Packable Portable Playard with Changing Table
Called as a smart and simple newborn pack and play, the Ingenuity Packable Portable Playard has a simple and effective design with its auto-locking wheels, pivoting changing table, and breathable fabrics.
The changing table is elevated to ensure the convenience of parents. It comes with a side storage pocket for easy access to diaper changing essentials. And when not in use, it can be pivoted away to give room to the play space.
Considered to be packable, this best playard for newborn requires no disassembly as it folds in just one swift motion.
Learn how to assemble this playard by watching this video:
- Collapses in just one motion
- Auto-locking wheels to secure the crib when not in use
- Changing table is of the right height
- Comes with its carrying case
- Breathable fabrics for proper airflow
- Putting the napper on top of the playard can be quite difficult
- Bassinet material sags and bunches up
No products found.
5. Evenflo Portable BabySuite DLX Playard
Here’s another playard that offers four modes of function. Aside from its play space, changing table, and bassinet, Evenflo Portable BabySuite DLX Playard has an added floormat feature to encourage your baby’s tummy time.
The play space has mesh sides that offer maximum ventilation. It also features an entertaining plush toy bar. It also has a removable multi-size organizer, which can also be attached to your diaper bag. Maintenance will not be an issue since the playard is made of wipeable fabric.
You can find this newborn pack and play in two stylish color combinations—Marianna (pink and black) and Koi (teal and black).
Learn more about this playard by watching this video:
- Comes in two different colors
- Easy cleanup
- Removable storage organizer
- Playard railing where you can hang soft toys
- Carry bag for traveling convenience
- Limited assembly instructions
- Flimsy and noisy mattress
- 4-in-1 modes of use for maximum versatility: (1) Full-Size Bassinet up to 15 lbs., (2) Floor Playmat, (3) Diaper Changing Station for up to 25 lbs and (4) Toddler Playard
- Versatility: Floor mat for tummy time, full-size bassinet for nap time and playtime with entertaining plush toy bar, changing station and playard
- Storage: Multi-size storage organizer for baby essentials
6. Baby Trend Lil Snooze Deluxe 2 Nursery Center
When I first saw Baby Trend Lil Snooze Deluxe 2 Nursery Center playard, I fell in love with its cute designs. It has six designs that feature different images—bluebell, daisy dots, flora, ions, twinkle twinkle moon, and Ziggy.
This best newborn pack and play is designed for function and convenience as well. The bassinet has a removable canopy with two plush hanging toys. The changing table comes with a storage pocket and can be flipped away when not in use.
The star of the playard’s design is its safety features– two large wheels with brakes and a one-hand locking mechanism to keep your baby safe and secure.
Learn how to assemble this playard by watching this video:
- Unique design
- Convenient flip-away design of the changing table
- Travel/ storage bag included
- Full-size bassinet
- Storage pocket for diaper changing essentials
- Hard to set up
- Changing table latch malfunctions
- Removable full-size bassinet
- Flip away changing table with storage pocket
- Removable napper with canopy and 2 toys
Now that you know what the different features of the various playard brands in the market are, you have to decide on which is the best newborn pack and play playard for your baby’s needs.
Considering all the critical factors we have mentioned– weight capacity, safety, portability, assembly, and additional features, my pick would be the Graco Pack ‘n Play Newborn Seat DLX Playard. It may be expensive, but it is a given since it is jam-packed with amazing features (like the electronic entertainment center) that you can’t find in most newborn pack and play and playard.
Last update on 2020-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API