A Ride Fit for a Newborn to Toddler
A baby stroller makes life easier for parents, making it one of the 10 essential baby items. Whether you’re looking for a stroller for newborn to toddler, there are plenty of options to pick from among the many top rated strollers in the market.
So, if you’re looking to choose the best stroller for newborn to toddler, this guide is all you need to learn everything before making a decision.
Before we go into details, here are our top 5 picks to choose from:
- Best Overall: Bugaboo Donkey 3
- Best Lightweight: Maclaren Quest
- Most Affordable: Baby Jogger City Select LUX Stroller
- Best Convertible: UPPABaby Vista V2
- Highest Weight Limit: BOB Gear Revolution Flex 3.0
Strolling with the Best Strollers for Newborn to Toddler
How to Choose the Best Stroller for Newborn to Toddler
Buying a stroller is like buying a new car. Ask yourself similar questions to a car purchase. How good is the suspension? Does it handle well on different terrain? What’s the storage like? What features does this best stroller for newborn to toddler offer, and how does it compare with others?
A stroller has all the things you need to work with when choosing the best stroller for newborn to toddler. Safety and convenience are the two top features any stroller should prioritize, so things like 5-point safety harness with padded cushion seat and ease of use are must-haves.
However, here are some other features or attributes you should look for when comparing different products:
Option to Recline
A good stroller should have a reclining, especially if you’re purchasing for a newborn. The option to recline also allows infants and toddlers to take naps.
The lighter the stroller, the easier to carry and move around. An ideal stroller for newborn should weigh around 11 to 16 lbs, but anything under 25 lbs is considered a lightweight stroller, enough to carry around without feeling like you have just spent all your energy dealing with just a stroller.
A versatile stroller is one that has multiple seating configurations to accommodate the different needs of you and your baby. Convertible strollers tend to be more versatile as they grow with your family, offering riding options for newborns and infants right into toddlerhood.
Foldable strollers allow you to carry it around with ease, especially when you’re traveling. Heavy fixed strollers are cheaper, but they are not convenient options.
A shade canopy (fixed or extendable) is a nice feature that has become a must-have to protect your child from the sun and heat.
The Top 8 Strollers in the Market
After deciding what works for you and your family in terms of features, attributes, and attributes, it’s time to choose the right stroller for your baby.
You can find hundreds of products that can be overwhelming but don’t worry, we’ve picked out the 8 best stroller for newborn to toddler performers in the market to help you out.
1. Bugaboo Donkey 3
Bugaboo Donkey 3 is one of the most trending strollers in the market with an improved wheel design to reduce weight and better comfort on challenging terrain. The canopy also features a window for toddlers to look out from while still maintain UV protection.
This best infant to toddler stroller is available in three options – Donkey Mono for single seating, Donkey Duo for infant and toddler, and Donkey Twin for kids of the same age. There are also new colors and wheel caps for style.
It’s not the lightest option out there, but with the additional comfort level, this makes it a great option for parents living in cities, especially those looking for flexibility in a child’s stroller. You can read our review of the Bugaboo Donkey 3 to know more about this convertible stroller.
- 17 seat configurations for your child to sit more comfortably
- Adjustable handlebar for different heights
- 360-degree turning so you can face your child
- Easily adjustable seats for added comfort
- Car seat compatibility for easy transportation
- It is bulky when folded, so you might need more storage space
- It is on the heavier side, making it comparatively difficult to carry around
- New for Donkey 3: Improved aesthetics, for a cleaner and sleek look. Improved bassinet, with handy extra pockets in front. Improved sun canopy, with peekaboo window and breezy panel. New rotating carry handle. Improved side-luggage basket design with zip-closure.
- Effortless Expansion: This stroller accommodates a single child, infant (w/included bassinet) - toddler (48 lbs.). It transforms to meet your growing family's needs into a Duo for two children (w/Duo Extension Set, sold separately) or Twin for twins (w/Duo Extension Set and Bassinet Fabric Complete - sold separately).
- Spacious Storage: Equipped with both a side luggage basket & under-seat basket that each hold up 22lbs.
2. BOB Gear Revolution Flex 3.0
The Bob Gear Revolution Flex 3.0 is a premium quality jogging stroller that offers active parents the freedom to take their toddlers outdoors. With Mountain-Bike style suspension, brakes, and an aluminum frame, this beast of a stroller is what you need for that early morning jog or power walk.
The air-filled all-terrain tires, well-padded compression seat and good suspension system ensure your kid will be riding in extreme comfort as you enjoy your active lifestyle together. The reflective accents on the stroller enhances safety when using in a dimmer, darker environment, and the extra-large storage capacity allows for storing bottles of water to keep you and your child hydrated all the time.
Not only that, but this is a stroller that will last you until your baby reachers toddlerhood as it has one of the highest weight limits, up to 75lbs. For parents who are fitness enthusiasts or are residing in areas with rough terrain looking for a durable stroller from birth to toddler, this would be a great pick.
- Removable glider board
- Quick fold mechanism
- Accepts infant seats
- Adjustable parent handlebar for tall parents
- Board has non-slip surface
- Stroller is bulky and quite difficult to fold down
- Complete travel system: Revolution FLEX 3.0 Stroller, B-Safe 35 infant Car seat, car seat base and adapter are all in one box, So you can stroll from the start
- Smooth ride: suspension system & air-filled tires provide an ultra-smooth ride over any terrain
- Extra space: 6 storage pockets & extra-large cargo basket provide plenty of room for your gear; includes a cell phone pocket at the handlebar
3. Graco Modes Travel System
Graco Modes Travel System is one of the most popular travel strollers in the market. It has a reversible stroller seat, and you can attach it with or without the car seat.
One of its most unique features is that you can snap the car seat into the stroller via its hassle-free Click Connect mechanism. Without the stroller seat, it becomes incredibly lighter, making it easier to carry around.
This is a great option for parents who are actively traveling around for work. Cleaning it will be a tad difficult as it is not washing machine friendly, however, the overall functionality makes up for that small inconvenience.
- Reversible seat so you can look at your baby
- Car seat is included in the purchase
- Cup holder included, making it easier for parents to carry their beverage
- Compatible with Click Connect car seats
- Stands when folded, for easier carrying plus no need to worry about it getting dirty
- Limited warranty time
- Not washing machine friendly
- Includes the Graco SnugRide SnugLock 35 Infant Car Seat, rear facing for infants from 4-35 lbs. and up to 32"
- 3 strollers in 1 with 10 riding options from infant to toddler: 1. Infant Car Seat Carrier 2. Infant Stroller 3. Toddler Stroller
- Infant car seat: Seat attaches directly to the stroller frame for lightweight portability and can face you or the world for added flexibility
4. Maclaren Quest
The Maclaren Quest stroller is a lightweight umbrella stroller for babies up to 55 lbs. It is easy to fold and carry, with an option to buy replacement parts and to add a bassinet, which is the Maclaren Carrycot for newborns.
On its own, this stroller is more suited for older infants and toddlers who do not need the extra cushion as it is not car seat compatible. It serves as the perfect travel companion to bring your little one to trips and visits with its lightweightness and easy folding mechanism.
The stroller also reclines flat enough when your little one needs a short nap. Its parts are easily available, so parents can easily repair any damage.
- Can attach a carrycot to carry your newborn
- Lightweight and comes with a carry strap and strap handle– easy to transport
- Can recline fully for your child to nap
- One-hand fold feature
- Machine-washable fabric, easier to clean and maintain hygiene for your child
- Not car seat compatible
- Buckling of seat belt can be tricky
- Light and compact. the basic weight of the quest arc is 6.2 kg; ideal for newborns and children up to 25kg. the folded dimensions are 113cm l x 35cm w x 35cm
- The padded seat reclines into 4 positions and converts into a new-born safety system. coupled with ultra-light flat-free eva tires and all wheel suspension
- Includes a wind-resistant rain cover and is compatible with maclaren carrycot. all maclaren strollers have waterproof/ upf 50+ hoods and machine washable seats
5. UPPABaby Vista V2
The UPPABaby Vista V2 is one of the most popular strollers for newborns to toddlers in the market. You can use it as a regular stroller or a bassinet stroller. If you have another child, you can double it later, which makes it one of the best convertible strollers in the market.
With cool features like a reversible seat, a handlebar that can be adjusted for an ergonomic hold and push, and a large storage basket for item keeping, there’s so much to love about this all-time favourite stroller. Even though its original seat fabric isn’t machine washable, you can change it with the washable UPPABaby’s MESA seat, which you can attach directly without adapters.
For parents who are planning on having more kids down the line, this is the go-to option. Add a PiggyBack Ride-Along board, and you now have a stroller that can carry three kids!
- Reversible toddler seat
- Telescopic handlebar allows parents to adjust the distance between them and the stroller
- Can be converted into a double stroller and triple stroller
- Large canopy to keep your little one well covered from the harsh weather
- Ample storage space that holds up to 30 lbs of your child’s essentials
- It is on the heavier side, which reduces its transportability
- Quite expensive
- Enjoy a softer ride pushing one child (or three!) over any ground surface thanks to a new spring-action all-wheel suspension and slightly softer tires.
- Extended canopies on the toddler seat and RumbleSeat accessory include zip out fabric that provide even more shade from the sun. Mesh panels also make it easy to peek in while adding airflow.
- A higher back and deeper foot rest on the toddler seat provide added comfort for growing children
6. Britax B-Ready G2 Stroller
The Britax B-Ready G2 Stroller is a high-end stroller with special additions and features such as foam-filled tires, front and back facing capability, an adult cup holder, child tray, rain cover, and what Britax calls the “softer premium fabric” for its stroller cloth material. It is available in different colors and is a stroller that grows with baby.
The stroller also doubles up if you have another child down the line. If you live in wet areas with rough, uneven terrain, this stroller is the ideal choice as the tires and canopy are well made enough to withstand the harsh elements.
- Car seat compatible
- Highly durable – it lasts longer than most strollers in the market
- Supports 12 seating options for newborns and toddlers
- Extra-large UV 50+ canopy to protect your child from sun damage
- Adjustable handlebar for different heights
- Rather heavy, not easy to carry around
- Small storage space as compared to other options
- Versatile design, no flat rubber tires, and double seating with the same mobility as a single stroller
- Quick fold with 1 or 2 seats attached; 12 seating options when paired with the B Ready Bassinet, Britax Infant Car Seats, or B Ready Second Seat (all sold separately)
- Travel System ready: compatible with all Britax and BOB infant car seats
7. Baby Jogger City Select LUX Stroller
The Baby Jogger City Select LUX Stroller is a multi-terrain stroller with an all-wheel suspension for smoother rides and an adjustable telescoping handlebar that is great for parents of different heights. It also comes with a UV50+ canopy for your baby’s protection from the sun.
This high-end stroller is suitable for seating infants and toddlers – you can easily convert it into a double stroller, with multiple seating options like front-facing, parent-facing and even sibling-facing mode. It also features a multi-position reclining seat with pockets, making it perfect for a sleepy baby and storing essential baby items.
This stroller also folds compactly for storage. For parents who like to be mostly outdoors with your child yet well-equipped at all times, with a possibility of having another child, this city stroller is the one for you.
- Convertible stroller (infant to toddler) with 20+ riding options
- Stroller has one of the highest weight limits, which goes up to 65 lbs
- Hand-operated parking brake for braking convenience
- Multiple seat recline and adjustable footrest for ensuring your child’s comfort at all times
- Compact folding
- Basket can be hard to access
- Quite bulky and heavy
- Converts from a single to a double stroller; most riding options of any single to double stroller; 25 percent more riding options than City Select, with the bench seat accessory
- Seats can be front facing, parent facing, or sibling facing; folding stroller, including auto lock, folds 30 percent smaller than City Select; hand operated decelerating & parking brake, all in one control
- All terrain stroller features all wheel suspension and locking front swivel wheels for control; telescoping handlebar adjusts to users of different heights; extended UV50+ canopy with peek a boo window keeps baby shaded
8. Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-In-1 Modular Travel System
Built for safety as well as comfort, the Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-in-1 Travel System comes with a Mico 30 infant car seat, car base, and easy-to-handle stroller. It is great for different terrains, and for travelers, it is a great lightweight option with a reversible carriage, seat, and adjustable handle.
A great feature of this newborn to toddler strollerstroller is its fabric that is made of self-wicking cloth material, so you can stroll with a peace of mind knowing your baby will be kept cool and dry. The canopy also extends fully to shade your baby from the sun, with a peek-a-boo panel to keep watch on your child.
Parents will be glad to know this full featured stroller is not only stylish and easy to maneuver but also comes included with good storage space and a cupholder for parents’ convenience. This is another great option for parents on the road or going for airplane travel.
- Self-wicking machine-washable fabric
- Lightweight with great maneuverability, perfect for travel
- Features the full-recline option, can transform into a bassinet stroller for young babies
- Easy folding with upright standing
- Comes with an adult cup holder
- Front wheels may get stuck from time to time
- Material color may easily fade from rough weather with time
- Overall dimensions: 25.5 W x 35 D x 45 H Inch | Collapsed dimensions: 25.5 W x 17 D x 45 H Inch
- Built for comfort as well as safety, this travel system includes a car seat able to accommodate children from five to 30 pounds, while the stroller supports kids up to 50 pounds
- The maxi-cosi 5-in-1 modular travel system includes the lightest infant car seat in the maxi cosi class and comes complete with the stay-in-car base and a stylish, easy-to-maneuver stroller
Infant to Toddler Stroller: Frequently Asked Questions
Becoming a parent is more about learning on the job and experiencing new things every day. Still, there are some common questions new parents ask when buying a stroller for newborn to toddler. These include:
Can Newborns go in Strollers?
Yes, newborns can go to strollers. However, if you’re planning to buy a stroller for your newborn, make sure it reclines. Newborns can’t sit up or hold their heads. Most jogging strollers don’t recline, so you shouldn’t consider them.
When should Toddlers Stop Using Strollers?
While there are official guidelines for when you should stop using a stroller, the ideal maximum age is three years.
Most manufacturers produce strollers that can take up to 50 lbs, which is the average weight of a seven-year-old. However, it is unlikely you’ll ever see seven-year-olds in a stroller, so the weight limit is put in place so that toddlers of all sizes can fit.
How to Prevent Stroller Accidents?
Keeping your baby safe in a stroller should be any parent’s top priority. Here are some things you can do:
- Don’t leave your baby unattended.
- Buckle up.
- Use the stroller brakes.
- Take caution when unfolding the stroller and ensure it is locked before you put your toddler in.
- Don’t let the babysit in the stroller on hot days. The plastic and metal can burn them.
You can also watch this short video by Parents Magazine on stroller safety tips:
Choosing the best newborn to toddler stroller isn’t a tough decision if you know what you’re looking for. For instance, if you have the money to spend on a high-end stroller that grows with your family, you can go for UPPABaby’s VISTA or the Britax B-Ready G2 Stroller. For active parents looking to take their toddler out for a jog on different terrain, we recommend the Bob Gear Revolution Flex 3.0.
However, if we were to pick a winner from the eight options above, Bugaboo Donkey 3 checks all the boxes.
What are your thoughts about our list? Share with us in the comments below!
Last update on 2021-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API