Families who live in warm climates or spend a lot of time outside in the summer need to pick the best baby carriers for warmer weather. Too much fabric along with your body heat (and your baby’s body heat) combine to make a very toasty situation.
Specific baby carriers are a better choice if you want to spend time outside with your little one. Our best overall has to be the Lillebaby All Seasons Complete Baby Carrier!
Without further ado, here are the 5 Best Baby Carriers for Hot Weather that we have considered – from UV Protection, Ventilation, Coverage to Fabric – for a comfortable baby carrier for your little one!
Why Do I Need a Baby Carrier for Hot Weather?
Wearing your baby, no matter the style of the carrier is warm. Body heat circulates combined with layers of fabric to create even more warmth. So, parents must be cautious to use a carrier that does better in warmer weather.
Babies have higher risks when facing the warmer weather. When temperature soar high and you wear your baby, you risk overheating your child, which could potentially cause a heatstroke.
Babies could also sweat too much, leading to dehydration. It is best to use baby carriers that allow for maximum air circulation to keep the little one and everyone happy and safe, so make sure you get that checked!
What Are the Styles of Baby Carriers?
Each style of baby carriers has pros and cons, and each offers a different way to carry your baby. Let’s take a look at each style for your little one!
- PROS: Baby wraps are perfect for newborn babies and provide ample opportunity to snuggle your baby. They are comfortable and easy to move around when wearing.
- CONS: Learning how to use a wrap can be tricky the first few times. It involves a lot of fabric! Naturally Thrifty Mom gives a great tutorial showing how to use wrap a newborn baby.
- PROS: A ring sling is great for breastfeeding mothers because you can discreetly nurse. They are great for quick trips and require little one learning curve. Ring slings naturally have great air circulation.
- CONS: This style can strain your shoulder if worn for long periods.
Soft Structured Carriers
- PROS: Structured baby carriers are the easiest to use and adjustable for multiple caregivers. They are comfortable for long trips and breastfeeding friendly
- CONS: This style can be expensive and hot during warm weather.
Important Features to Consider When Shopping for BABY CARRIERS
To help you make a decision, we compiled these features you want to consider when shopping for a baby carrier for hot weather for your little one!
- UV Protection
Babies under six months old are too young to wear sunscreen. If you plan to walk on the beach or enjoy your older son’s softball game, a baby carrier with UV protection keeps your child safe.
Companies use a special process to increase the UV protection of fabric without changing the properties.
Some companies, such as Lillebaby, that make soft structured baby carriers come with zippered areas that allow for extra ventilation. You can zip the panel for warmth or unzip for extra air circulation. Other carriers, like a ring sling, naturally allow for air ventilation.
Your baby requires coverage when you take your little one out in the sun. A hood serves as rain protection and a sunshade.
Slings with a long tail give protection to your little one. Not all hoods are the same, so pay attention to the size and if it will properly cover your baby.
The fabric of the baby carrier is one of the most important factors to consider when purchasing a baby carrier for hot weather.
You want fabric that is lightweight and breathable. Linen and cotton are two choices that breathe well. Carriers with mesh fabric linings work as well!
- Carrying Positions Available
Different carriers allow for different carrying positions. The front-inward carry is great for snuggling and newborn babies, but back carry is great for warm weather.
Babies should be around six months old before you attempt a back carry. Some parents and babies like front-outward and hip carry.
Both are cooler than front-inward!
- Water Resistance
Some carriers are great for water activities and are made out of special, fast drying fabric. These come in handy when you are at the beach or go to the splash pad with your other children. Infants can sleep soundly while you enjoy being outside, without any worry of a sunburn!
- Weight Distribution
When you carry a newborn baby, weight distribution isn’t as important, but it matters for older babies.
If you plan to wear your 20-pound infant for several hours at a time, you want a carrier that features padded shoulders, a wide and padded waistband, and other features that distribute your child’s weight evenly. Uneven distribution results in a sore back or shoulder.
The last feature is easy to fix because most carriers come in a variety of colors. You don’t want a carrier for hot weather that is black, navy blue, deep green, or brown. Dark colors attract sun rays.
Instead, go for a light color for your baby carrier. White, light pink, light blue, or anything in the light realm will keep you cooler.
Our Top 5 Best Baby Carriers for Hot Weather
Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Ring Sling
No products found.
Designed for babies 8 to 35 pounds, the Maya Wrap ring sling allows you to carry your baby in style and comfort. This 100% cotton ring sling is lightweight, breathable, and sturdy.
- The edges are unpadded so that you can get a snug fit.
- The shoulder is lightly padded to increase your comfort without being bulky.
- An extra-long tail allows you discreetly breastfeed or cover your baby from the sun.
- The long width adjusts so that multiple caregivers can share the same sling.
- 100% cotton is breathable, yet it also is sturdy enough to carry larger children.
- A zippered pocket lets you carry a diaper, wipes, a pacifier or your car keys. The pocket can fit a cloth diaper.
- Sling Rings crafted the aluminum rings and tested each to 250 pounds.
- You can put the sling in the washing machine washable if it gets dirty.
- Cotton isn’t as breathable as linen for summer time.
- At first, the sling will feel stiff. You may need to wash it a few times to get the material to feel softer against your skin.
- The padded shoulder doesn’t allow the fabric to spread out wide enough for those who have larger shoulders.
Lillebaby Complete All Seasons Six-Position Baby Carrier
- Six Positions: The LÍLLÉbaby Complete baby carrier features 6 ergonomic carry styles for 360-degree babywearing including front, backpack and hip styles.
- Ready for All Seasons: Zip down front panel reveals breathable mesh for extra airflow on warm days.
- Newborn to Toddler: Transformational carrier seat can be folded small for newborns and infants and expanded to a wider setting as your child grows.
Lillebaby crafted an ergonomic 6-in-1 baby carrier that features lumbar support and a temperature control panel. Babies and parents rave about the comfort level in the Complete All Seasons!
- Parents can use six ergonomic for different carrying positions that accommodate your growing baby.
- It is an all-in-one carrier, usable from the newborn stage to a 45-pound toddler! You don’t have to purchase a separate infant insert to carry your newborn.
- The hip-healthy seat features a narrow setting for newborns. Then, you can widen the seat to provide support for larger infants, infant insert and toddlers.
- An exclusive, temperature regulation panel zips-up for warmth and zips-down to expensive a cool, breathable, 3D mesh fabric panel. Air circulates around your baby to regulate their temperature.
- Lillebaby excels in providing support for the parent. The carrier has a unique lumbar support and waist belt, along with adjustable and crossable, padded shoulder straps.
- It can feel bulky compared to other styles of carriers. The shoulder straps are larger than average.
- The material can be scratchy at first until used or washed.
- It is expensive for those who are on a budget.
ErgoBaby 360 All Positions Cool Mesh
- EXPLORE WITH BABY: For curious, developing baby who starts exploring beyond her caregiver to see the world (12-45 lbs./ 5.5-20 kg)
- ALL CARRY POSITIONS: Inward, Front Outward, Hip & Back Carry
- COOL AND BREATHABLE : Cooler for you and baby with soft, lightweight & durable mesh
Ergobaby is a classic carrier for years, and their 360 Cool Mesh is the best they created so far! The Cool Mesh is a great choice for active parents who love to be outside.
- Ergonomic, wide seat provides a natural “M” position for your baby’s hips. The wide waistband ensures comfort and support necessary to prevent lower back pain.
- Parents can wear baby in multiple carrying positions – front-outward, front-inward, hip, and back carry.
- To accommodate smaller babies, the extendable back panel folds to provide head support. For older infants, you can unfold the back panel for back support rather than head support.
- Ergobaby used a lightweight, durable mesh to allow air to circulate around baby.
- For discreet breastfeeding and sun protection, a UPF 50+ sun hood covers your baby’s head.
- Multiple caregivers can adjust this carrier to fit them because the waistband adjusts from 26 to 52 inches. The shoulder straps adjust from 28 to 46 inches as well.
- To use with a newborn baby, you need an infant insert, which may be too hot for summertime.
- The strap between your shoulders are positioned lower and may be hard to buckle alone.
Boba 4G Carrier
- Made with 100% Cotton, Machine Washable and DURABLE – We recommend spot cleaning and using teething/drool pads but when those big accidents happen, you can throw it in the wash! Putting the carrier in a pillow case will keep the straps from getting tangled in your automatic washer.
- INCLUDES detachable Integrated Infant Insert! The infant insert has two configurations: Stage One for infants as small as 7 lbs. and Stage Two for babies starting at 10 lbs. The Insert acts as a booster seat and maintains the ergonomic “froggy” and “M” positions that newborns naturally assume.
- Can be used with babies as small as 7 lbs. up to 45 pounds with no additional purchase – the Boba 4GS comes COMPLETE with the INFANT INSERT and detachable HOOD for sleeping shade or head support.
The Boba 4G is a top contender for the title of the best baby carrier for hot weather. Usable for kids ranging from 7 to 45 pound, the included features make it a family-friendly choice. The Boba is constantly being compared with the Moby wrap, though we personally prefer the Boba more.
- The Boba comes with an integrated infant insert, so you can use it from immediately after birth and well into toddlerhood.
- Parents can wear their baby facing front-inward and back carrying.
- Boba used an ergonomic design that features a wide seat, foot straps, and multiple adjustments. The carrier easily adjusts to fit multiple caregivers.
- This baby carrier is made with 100% cotton, making it a lightweight and breathable option. The cotton is thin enough that your baby will feel air circulating but strong enough to support a toddler.
- Boba added multiple pockets for on-the-go storage. Plus, a bag strap holder can hold your bags in place with a snap.
- Compared to other structured carriers, the Boba 4G is budget-friendly, which is fantastic for parents who are new to babywearing and aren’t sure if they will love it!
- Parents only have two carrying options – front and back.
- Padding around the leg holes would be a nice improvement to make the carrier more comfortable for baby.
Baby K’tan Original Baby Wrap Carrier.
- HANDS FREE BABYWEARING: Keep newborn babies, preemies and infants close while you go about your day. Our unique baby wrap design also supports your best position for easy breastfeeding on the go.
- SIMPLE DESIGN: The Baby K'tan baby wrap is quick and easy to wear - no rings, belts, buckles or excess fabric. This infant carrier is the no-wrap wrap! Just slip the sling over your head like a t-shirt.
- COMPLETE COMFORT: Made from 100% cotton, our baby carrier allows even weight distribution, and the breathable fabric is soft against baby skin. Not bulky or frilly - ideal for both moms and dads.
The Baby K’tan baby wrap is a favorite among parents, especially those with a newborn. Made of 100% cotton, this wrap is not only comfortable for both you and your kid but also provides great natural hip support for your little one. It’s also easy to wear and you can arrange it in 5 different positions, making it one of the best baby carriers around.
- Made from 100% chemical-free soft cotton for a breathable, comfortable wear that keeps your baby cool
- It’s buckle free and easy to wear right away – just slip it on
- Supports baby’s natural hip position that is approved by International Hip Dysplasia Institute
- Great for preemies, newborns and infants up to 35 lbs.
- Wrap is machine washable
- It is available in many sizes, from XXS to XL
- Warning tag material on the wrap feels scratchy
- Getting the right sizing can be tricky
- Not recommended for long period of use
WhICH is the Best Baby Carrier for Hot Weather?
All of these contenders are fantastic choices that you can’t go wrong with, but the clear winner is the Lillebaby All Seasons Complete Baby Carrier.
The All Seasons offers unprecedented support for parents with their unique lumbar support design and wide waistband. For hot weather, their zippered panel exposes 3D mesh that allows air to circulate around baby.
Parents can wear their baby in six positions, including a back carry which is much cooler. Overall, the Lillebaby All Seasons will keep you and your baby cool during hot weather.
Picking the best baby carrier for hot weather can be hard because manufacturers offer so many incredible choices. Stay cool with these five options, and enjoy making memories with your baby this summer.
Last update on 2022-09-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API