If a friend has asked you to be a godparent to his or her child, it is an honor to be granted with such a divine act. However, you also might be wondering which gifts are appropriate for godparents.
So, what do godparents buy for baptisms? Baptism gifts from godparents are different from gifts for other occasions in several ways. Unlike birthday presents, a baby will only get a baptism gift once, so try to make it count!
Before I give you some inspirations for baptism gifts for godchild, let’s talk about godparents’ role in baptism and financial aspects of baptism gifts.
- What do godparents do at a baptism?
- How much money should a godparent give for a baptism?
- Final words
Godparents have an honored role of leading the child during its Christian life. A godparent serves as a “proxy” for the child’s parents and agrees to step in for the child’s religious path if something happens to the parents.
Also, godparents are supposed to encourage the child’s spiritual growth and help the child, and the child’s parents comply with the baptism promises.
In some churches, a godparent is regarded as the official christening sponsor, hence is expected to pay for the baptism. Therefore, if someone has asked you to be a godparent, you can research the local baptism customs.
During the baptism, a godparent speaks on behalf of the child. He or she commits to helping the parents in raising the child in the name of faith. Usually, a godparent holds the baby and brings it to the holy sacrament of baptism.
The money you should give for the baptism gift depends on your finances and your relationship with the child. More than focusing on financial aspects, try to determine your budget and find the appropriate thoughtful christening gift within it.
If you are paying for the baptism rite, you can get a symbolic, inexpensive gift that won’t cost you more than $50. However, if you can afford more expensive presents, you can spend $100, $150, and even more.
Additionally, you can give money as a gift.
What do godparents buy for baptism?
From modern and practical interesting presents to traditional time-honored gifts with Christianity symbols – I’ve covered it all! Whatever your budget, I am sure that you can find the appropriate idea for a baptism gift that is not a baptism cake.
Besides, rather than spending a large amount of money on an expensive and useless, impersonal present, take your time to decide what suits your godchild the most.
Also read: Baby Dedication vs Baptism
An old Catholic tradition requires the godparents to buy the clothes the baby will wear on the baptism day. Over time, this tradition faded, and nowadays, parents usually buy the christening outfit.
However, if you want to stick to the tradition you can get a baptism gown for the child. To make baby baptismal gowns even more special and unique, I recommend getting a personalized gown. You can order the gown before the baptism day and have the name of the baby embroidered on the dress.
You may be interested in: Baby Names Meaning God Answers Prayers
Additionally, you can choose cute accessories for the baby as well, such as a headband or adorable baby boy shoes. For a baby girl, you can get a classy white dress, or choose matching pants and a white top for a boy.
However, let the parents know about the gift in advance, so they don’t have to worry about the baby baptism outfit. Parents usually keep the baby’s baptism gown as a memory, so it is a perfect traditional gift that your godchild will never forget.
- TIPS ( Must Note ): Please be sure you are comparing our measurements to an actual dress and not your child's body measurements. If unsure, we recommend SIZING DWON. In order for a perfect fit, we recommend going by the measurements and not the child's age to ensure proper fit. In order to take care of your baby’s skin, we recommend washing it before putting it on. Wash Instructions: 1. Hand Wash Cold recommended. 2. Use mild detergent and hang dry. 3. Do not bleach or use hot water.
- Material & Style: satin, cotton, embroidered tulle. Beautiful off white christening dress & handmade shoes. Off white satin and embroidered tulle christening/ baptism/ blessing gown with pearls and crown accessories. Satin bodice with cap cotton & satin sleeves, tulle and embroidered skirt and cotton lining. Christening gowns for baby girl, toddler baptism dress, baby christening dress, flower Baby girl dress, baptism gown for baby girls, christening outfit for baby girl, baby baptism dress.
- Size & Color: Newborn girls/ Infant girls/ Toddler girls/ baby girls baptism blessing dress features cap-sleeves. Off white satin and embroidered tulle baby lace dress long christening gown. Baptism dresses for baby girls, christening dresses for baby girl, baptism dresses for girls, baptism outfits for girls. White lace baby dress, newborn christening dress white, infant baptism dress white, off white infant christening gown, toddler baptism outfits white, newborn lace baptism dresses white.
A piece of jewelry is always appropriate for almost every occasion. It resolves what should a godmother give for a baptism gift mystery! Find an elegant bracelet or a necklace within your budget range. The jewelry you get doesn’t have to fit the baby at the moment. Instead, buy a piece of jewelry that your godchild will wear once he or she gets older.
Additionally, you can get a beautiful necklace with a cross pendant, or with an infinity pendant. That will represent the infinitive bond between you and your godchild.
Avoid buying trendy jewelry, and stick with traditional design and materials.
#3 Fun Custom Pins
If you are still searching for a fun and meaningful christening gift, you can choose professional pin manufacturers to make some lovely pins. When children grow up to 5-6 years old, they can share their favorite pins with good friends, which can promote the growth of friendship.
Parents can also use these pins as clothing accessories, making your child a fashionista. This gift has entertainment and practicality, worthy of collecting souvenirs.
#4 Personalized Baptism Script
A godparents’ gift to godchild on baptism doesn’t have to be expensive. One of the most authentic gifts for baptism is personalized scripture printed and framed. Also, you can have the words engraved on a piece of glass block with a stand.
It makes a meaningful christening gift and beautiful decoration for the nursery in baby’s room.
- High quality made in USA 8x10 inches wood frame with "Jesus Loves Me" (copyright, Teri Harrison) Sentiment in Typography Cross
- Perfect gift for new baby, baby shower, baby's baptism, christening, dedication and other gift giving occasions
- Gender Neutral nursery decor that makes a special gift for baby boys or girls and as well as children of all ages. The frame can be used for wall or shelf display and matches most decor styles
If you want to stick to a religious theme, you can buy a wooden cross that many parents can hang above the crib. The cross is a delightful present that will last for years.
It is also a great baptism gift from godfather to godson.
What are child’s godparents supposed to buy for baptism isn’t always what a child wants or needs. For example, a blanket is an unconventional baptism present, but it is one of the gifts a baby will use the most.
Children tend to develop a special connection with the blankets they commonly use, so a blanket makes a charming baptism gift.
Pick a warm and soft pattern-less blanket or the one with children’s motives. Soon, the blanket will become your godchild’s best friend, so he or she will remember you every time they go to bed!
- SUPER-SOFT 100% COTTON MUSLIN BABY SWADDLE BLANKET: This extra-large (47"x47") swaddle blanket is breathable and lightweight - perfect for a newborn baby! Our swaddle blanket can be used as a play mat, stroller and car seat cover or hung as a tapestry!
- THE PERFECT GIFT: Beautiful design with religious quote makes for a thoughtful and practical gift from a Godfather or Godmother. Our blankets arrive beautifully boxed and ready to give as the perfect Godson or Goddaughter gift.
- STIMULATING DESIGN: Our swaddle blankets are designed in a black and white color scheme, to enhance vision and stimulate brain development, great for both newborn boys and girls.
One of the best baptism gifts every child will love is a baby toy! For example, a set of wooden blocks with letters is appropriate even for smaller Christian children. Once they reach the age of five or six, they can use the blocks to learn letters.
That way, your gift is great for its entertaining and educative aspects.
Some of the most interesting children books that make a perfect gift from godparents for baptism are:
- Goodnight Moon, Margaret Wise Brown
- Little Bear, series, Else Holmelund Minarik
- The Lorax, Dr. Seuss
- A Bear Called Paddington, Michael Bond
- Animalia, Graeme Base
- Pippi Longstocking, Astrid Lindgren
If you were wondering what does a godmother do aside from religious practice and assisting the parents in raising, there is one more role you need to play. You should be fun! An excellent start is to buy the most charming gift for a baby girl!
That includes a barbie dollhouse. Every baby girl will love the present and be grateful for it once it gets old enough to play with it.
If you are looking for interesting personalized baptism gifts from child’s godparents, you can get a baby pewter cup. The cup is slightly larger than the standard baby cup, and it makes a great memory once the baby grows up. Giving your godchild a pewter cup is also a lovely tradition.
For example, you can have the baby’s name and baptism date engraved on the cup. If you want to invest more money, you can get a silver cup as well.
According to Catholic christening traditions, snow globes aren’t traditional baptism gifts.
However, nowadays, you can find mesmerizing snow globes with silver Christianity symbols and angels. It is also one of the gifts that will match every nursery decor and your godchild will probably keep the snow globe for long.
A snow globe is an elegant and sophisticated christening gift and proof that a personalized gift doesn’t have to be expensive to be appropriate and thoughtful.
- Jesus Loves Me Musical Water Globe reads "Jesus Loves Me" and is a beautiful vintage musical water globe featuring cream faced small lamb with snow and a silver colored small cross in the front.
- Water Globe is made of resin stone, water, and glass. Comes in a gift box for easy gifting. Plays "Jesus Loves Me" melody.
- Water Globe measures approximately 5.5 x 3.75 inches. Elegant keepsake makes a perfect gift for new arrivals and special occasions.
Hopefully, you now understand what do godparents give for baptism. Children’s books, jewelry, baptism clothes, personalized snow globes, blankets, and toys – there are numerous ways that you can express the gratitude of being a godparent.
Whichever you choose, make sure it represents your connection to the child and its parents!
If you have more what do godparents buy for baptism ideas feel free to add them in the comments section below and share the list with your friends who might find it useful.
And, what do you wish that you had been given for baptism? The answer might help you to decide!
Last update on 2023-06-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API