The world of baby gear is vast. There are so many products like a baby gym mat, playpen and playard to keep your little one safe and keep you as a parent sane. One item you may not realize you need is a baby-safe play mat.
An infant play mat is a great clean, cozy, and safe space for your little one to crawl, roll, and explore.
As it is supposed to be safe for babies, going for toxin-free baby play mats may require extensive research.
The good news is, I have compiled a list of 12 top picks on the best non toxic play mat for your baby so you can get to your play mat buying decision quicker.
- Why Just a Blanket Won’t Do
- The 12 Perfectly Padded Non toxic Play Mats for Babies
- 1. Soft Padded Baby Play Mat by ULLENBOOM
- 2. Wee Gallery, Explore Play Mat, Organic Cotton Muslin Mat for Baby
- 3. W WelLifes Baby Play Mat
- 4. Mary Meyer Bestever Baby Mat
- 5. Moiré Baby A to Z Animal Learning Play Mat
- 6. Organic Designs – Organic Toddler Comforter
- 7. Nook Sleep Lily Pad Playmat
- 8. Toddleroo by North States 71″ x 71″ Folding ABC Play Mat
- 9. Parklon Folding Play Mat
- 10. Taf Toys North Pole 4 Seasons Baby Activity Mat
- 11. wander & roam Baby Play Mat
- 12. Baby Mushroom Baby Bello Organic Play Mat
- Exploring Your Baby-Safe Mat Options
- Checklist for Choosing
- Which Play Mat Scores Top Points?
Why Just a Blanket Won’t Do
Baby play mats are just as their title alludes, a mat on which to place your baby for tummy time or play. Some can be used outdoors while other play mats can make hard wood floors more comfortable. They may feature alluring food grade coloring or cute patterns to attract your infant’s attention.
Related: Best Playmat for Hardwood Floors
When the surface on which you want to lay your baby is questionable, you may want to consider a non toxic baby play carpet. Blankets may do the trick in a pinch, but a play mat is typically a much more baby-friendly option. Where a blanket may bunch and hold debris a play mat is firmer, washable, and sturdier.
Play is undoubtedly important for your little one.
“Provide colorful toys of different textures, shapes, and sizes for your baby to hold and explore”. 
Some mats perform double duty by creating a clean space and providing colorful images for exploration. A play mat can be a great addition to your baby gear repertoire – I loved mine when visiting grandma’s house!
The 12 Perfectly Padded Non toxic Play Mats for Babies
Once you have narrowed down the attributes of your perfect baby rug take a look at these examples. The following round up may help make your decision a bit easier!
1. Soft Padded Baby Play Mat by ULLENBOOM
If you are looking for a soft and cozy non-toxic mat then the ULLENBOOM Soft Padded Mat May suit your needs. It is 100% cotton so it shouldn’t irritate your baby’s delicate skin.
The plush design helps to pad hard surfaces. As a bonus, this product features a cute woodland animal design!
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Handmade and very durable
- Made with organic fabrics for sensitive skin
- Smooth cotton texture may slip easily on hardwood or tile floors
- Because of plushness, it may not be ideal for napping
2. Wee Gallery, Explore Play Mat, Organic Cotton Muslin Mat for Baby
Another whimsical product is the Wee Gallery, Explore Play Mat, Organic Cotton Muslin Mat for Baby. It is one of the many GOTS certified organic cotton play mat options stuffed with a plush poly-fill.
Your little one can comfortably roll or crawl on nearly any surface. All the materials are safe to be washed in the washing machine so you won’t have to fret over spills or accidents.
- Cute design with woodland creatures on one side and cityscape on the other
- Includes a drawstring bag for easy transport
- Is a nice medium size measuring just over three feet in diameter
- Made with OEKO TEX certified polyester and GOTS certified organic cotton
- Contain no heavy metals (lead-free)
- The white background may get dirty easily
- If the baby can roll, they may be able to roll off it quickly due to its size
- THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED: Wee Gallery's infant playmat features a hand-illustrated woodland scene on one side and a neutral cityscape on the other. Measuring 40 inches in diameter, our play mat creates the perfect area for cushioned play.
- BABY DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT: Featuring a reversible two-sided pattern with high contrast graphics, this aesthetic baby floor mat keeps your little one interested and visually stimulated. The ideal playtime setting for baby development!
- THE PERFECT GIFT: This floor mat is the perfect baby shower gift or first birthday present for your child or grandchild. Our soft play mat for babies also comes in a keepsake drawstring bag with a tassel for easy storage and gifting.
3. W WelLifes Baby Play Mat
The W WelLifes also uses cotton material but it features something special as well. Its unique 3D air mesh helps to regulate temperature so you can use the mat year-round.
The mesh backing will help to keep your baby warm on cold hardwood floors in the winter and keep them cool outdoors in the summer. Besides, the mesh backing adds a nice cushion and keeps the non-toxic baby mat breathable.
- A fun animal pattern for baby to discover
- Mesh backing makes the mat somewhat non-slip
- Safe for sensitive skin, 100% hypoallergenic polyester padding
- Narrow in size means it may be easy for your baby to crawl or roll off
- Not a double-sided or reversible play mat
- Breathable sequential 3D-air Mesh construction keeps cool air in the summer and warm air in the winter. Well ventilated 3D Air mesh fabric is used for the back and it reinforce a sense of durability and cushioning. The front side is 100% Organic Cotton fabric .
- Made with Organic Cotton Fabric Textiles Cover.
- The Baby play mat features a developmental playground of fun activities and discovery for baby, comfy 3D Air Mesh to keep baby and parent comfortable.
4. Mary Meyer Bestever Baby Mat
If your baby is at the age where they can sit and play then you may like the Mary Meyer Bestever Baby Mat.
This mat is designed to resemble a cute and cuddly animal, and you have your choice of an elephant, a puppy, a giraffe, an owl, a lamb, a bear, or a bunny.
The “belly” of the animal provides a comfy place to sit while your tot plays. Older children may also love snuggling up with this plush mat.
My child especially love the panda print on this mat (other variation) and uses it as an al-time favorite panda mat!
- Provides a comfortable and padded seat
- Can be used by older children as a pillow
- Large selection of animals
- Contains no dangerous chemicals
- Is not ideal for tummy time or back playtime due to elevated cushion design
- Not very large measuring 31 x 23 inches
- Fur may shed after washing
- Lamb Baby Mat floor mat for baby features premium soft white on white fabric, stitched eyes for total softness, and wide snuggly tummy
- Measures approximately 31 x 23-inches
- Features luxuriously soft fabric on top and a durable fabric bottom; machine wash delicate cycle, air dry
5. Moiré Baby A to Z Animal Learning Play Mat
Some little ones just go, go, go, and they may need an expansive play mat. The Moiré Baby A to Z Animal Learning Play Mat is extra-large, measuring just over six feet by slightly over four feet.
Its large size is perfect to accommodate the alphabet with corresponding animals. Just like the MyLine Play Mat, your active baby will love exploring on this fun play mat.
- Stain and water-resistant
- One inch of padding keeps it comfortable on knees and bottoms
- Machine washable
- Folds up but may be bulky to carry or transport
- May shrink if placed in the dryer
- LEARNING Baby Play Mat-A to Z Animal Design
- MATERIAL: Environmentally friendly cotton, healthy and comfortable, perfect for your baby.
- 1" PADDED THICKNESS for babies and children to play, ideal for encouraging crawling, rolling, sitting up, and learning to walk. It ensures a soft landing for rolling, tumbling, and falls.
6. Organic Designs – Organic Toddler Comforter
An extra comfy baby play rug is the Organic Designs – Organic Toddler Comforter. It has GOTS certified organic cotton fabric on one side and flannel backing on the other.
The fill makes it very plush and comfortable, perfect for hard bare floors. The colorful letter pattern is engaging for little ones. This can be used as a cushy baby mat or a cozy place for a supervised snooze.
- Large size, 54 x 40 inches
- Can be used as a supervised nap space or as a baby mat
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Can be used as a comforter blanket by older children
- GOTS certified organic cotton not ideal for tummy time as it is so plush
- More of a comforter than a mat
- Organic Fabric and Filling
- Made in the USA
- Measures 54x40 inches
7. Nook Sleep Lily Pad Playmat
A very versatile mat is the Nook Sleep Lily Pad Playmat. This circular mat has the perfect amount of padding to make tummy time, nap time, and even playtime comfortable.
The one inch of plush is thanks to the non-toxic air spacer cushion covered by pebble texture organic fabric. The entire pad is water-resistant meaning you can easily wipe it clean or for set-in stains just toss it in the wash!
- Has attached handles so it can be folded and carried
- Very soft
- Breathable fabrics make it safer for tummy time
- A little heavy for transporting
- Not very large, older babies can easily roll or crawl off
- Organic and non-toxic
- Soft cushioned play mat for babies and toddlers
- Easy to carry and machine-washable
8. Toddleroo by North States 71″ x 71″ Folding ABC Play Mat
The PE foam is perfectly padded for crawlers, and better yet it is hypoallergenic, BPA and toxic material free.
Personally in terms of design, I prefer the Toddleroo baby mat over the Baby Care baby play mats.
- Large size
- A fun pattern featuring animals and letters
- Foam is effortless to wipe clean
- Folds up but is still bulky to transport
- The foam may not be super durable and can be bitten by children
- KEEPING TODDLERS SAFE SINCE 1953: Worry-Free Safety! 71" x 71" Superyard playmat creates a fun play area by itself or under any North States Superyard- indoors or outdoors.
- NON-TOXIC, BPA FREE, HYPOALLERGENIC: All baby safe material, made of PE foam, no PVC. Flame retardant free.
- ADORABLE & FUNCTIONAL: Decorated with ABCs and animal friends, this water resistant mat easily wipes clean and provides hours of fun for baby.
9. Parklon Folding Play Mat
Another awesome PE foam mat is the Parklon Folding Play Mat. This may have a unique design in that it consists of folding panels, making it easy to move despite its large size.
At nearly a half-inch thick it provides food grade protection against hard floors or rough outdoor terrain. The foam is also water-resistant so it is perfect for the outdoors or drooling little ones in the living room.
- A cushioned mat that is very durable
- Choice of three cute patterns
- May be easily scratched or punctured by pets
- The water-resistant coating may become slippery if wet
- LIGHTWEIGHT: This mat is made of PE, a lightweight foam material, making it easy to fold up for storage or carry on the go.
- PORTABLE: Folds up into a convenient carrying case so you can take this mat to the park, beach or friend’s house!
- WATER-RESISTANT AND EASY TO CLEAN: Simply wipe up spills or clean up messes with a damp cloth.
10. Taf Toys North Pole 4 Seasons Baby Activity Mat
A mat that grows with your little one is the Taf Toys North Pole 4 Seasons Baby Activity Mat. It is a plush fabric mat that includes side panels that can be lowered and raised.
When your baby is too young to do more than roll, you can leave the side panels raised, as they age lower the panels to form a mat. The mat also includes a fun pattern with hide and seek crinkling flaps, rattles, and ribbons.
- Padded mat with extra soft fabric
- Versatile and grows with your baby
- Includes detachable sensory hanging toys
- No fire retardants
- A baby may outgrow it quickly
- Is not machine washable
- FOR TWO DEVELOPMENTAL STAGES: Stage 1 (0-3m) Raised side panels create a safe and cosy environment for your baby. Stage 2 (3m+) Unfolded side panels creates a larger, extra padded play mat.
- DETACHABLE COLOURFUL TOYS - Features two detachable, double sided, multi-sensory activity toys: Prince the Penguin toy with clear ring rattle and a rainbow baby-safe mirror with colourful ribbons. Beautiful illustrations of the 4 seasons promote parent-baby interaction.
- FULL OF ACTIVITIES AND EXTRA PADDED - The mat includes two hide n’ seek crinkling flaps. The play mat is extra padded and measures - 96 X 96cm, 37.8" X 37.8“
11. wander & roam Baby Play Mat
The wander & roam Mat is constructed from a single piece of non-toxic foam, meaning you won’t need to worry about cleaning in between the cracks or joints.
It is large enough that your little one can use it for a while, measuring over four feet in diameter. This item has the perfect amount of padding to make hard floors more comfortable and safer for your baby.
- Available in a 4.6ft diameter circle or a 6.5ft x 4.5ft rectangle.
- Comes with Velcro strips so you can roll it up and transport it
- Neutral patterns and colors complement any room in your home
- Easy to wipe clean
- One of the many thickest mats on the market
- After rolling for storage it may be difficult to flatten
- Not as heavy or sturdy as other foam mats
12. Baby Mushroom Baby Bello Organic Play Mat
If you want the ultimate protection for your baby on your hardwood or tile floors, you might want to consider the Baby Mushroom.
Among so many organic play mats on the market, this model consists of an organic cotton cover, a water-resistant liner, and plush plant-based foam.
All these components work together to make a comfy, durable, and non-toxic and baby-safe mat. At nearly five feet by five feet, it is big enough for you to join in on tummy time as a yoga mat.
- Made of hypoallergenic and eco-friendly materials
- Cotton cover is machine washable
- Rolls up so you can transport it easily
- The clean and neutral look blends in well in any room
- If cover shrinks it may be difficult to use it with the mat
- The cream color shows dirt and wear quickly
- Clean, Safe Play Space for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
- Organic and Made of Eco Friendly Materials
- Large and Spacious-Measures 55
Exploring Your Baby-Safe Mat Options
With so many options how do you choose one that best suit your needs? Deciding on its most important features first can be helpful.
These are all good questions apart from making sure it’s made out of non-toxic materials.
Size. Baby play mats can vary greatly in size. Some can resemble a simple mat that you can fold up and take with you. Others consist of large interlocking pieces that are made to be relatively stationary once constructed. Where you plan on using the baby mat can help you determine what size you need.
Material. What the mat is made out of differs almost as much as size. Non-toxic options out there on the market can be anything from foam to fabric and natural rubber and many things in between. Some baby play mats are made to be sturdy while others are softer and more comfortable.
Some are machine washable thanks to their fabric design while others are wipe clean only. You should think about where you want to use the mat and how often you will need to clean it. One with a waterproof cover may come in handy if you haven’t already potty train your baby.
Special Features. Some handpicked best options on this list resemble a neutral colored rug or mat. Others have brightly colored patterns or fun animals.
Knowing exactly what you’re looking for and choosing the right play mats for your nursery sometimes depend on the overall design of the room too!
What style or features you want depends on if you plan to use the mat in your living room, opting for a less obtrusive design, or want it to complement your nursery decor with a colorful pattern.
Intended use. Most play mats (a puzzle mat for example), are typically used for playing, however, some can be conducive to naps. Additionally, foam mats may soften a hardwood floor for the baby while plastic-backed mats can protect against wet grass.
Think about where, when, and why you may use the mat to further narrow down your choice.
You may be interested in: 15 Best Play Mats and Play Gyms for Babies
Checklist for Choosing
The mat should be:
- 100% completely non-toxic, ideally made of OEKO TEX certified polyester or GOTS certified organic cotton for maximum comfort
- Thick enough to offer sufficient protection against accidental falls and bumps on hardwood floors
- Large enough for your child to play on
- Processed under a chemical-free adhesive method
- Padded using ten thin layers of PE foam sheets
You should avoid:
- Chemical flame retardants and other volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Traditional play mats made from PVC (a toxic form of plastic), Vinyl or EVA foam
- ‘Eco-friendly PVC’ and PFAS toxic chemicals
- BPA and Phthalates
- Polyurethane foam and other harmful substances
- Lead and other heavy metals
Which Play Mat Scores Top Points?
The perfect non-toxic playmat for you depends on a few factors. Size, material, and portability are all considerations. However, the one product that checks many parents’ boxes is the wander & roam baby play mat.
The non-toxic BPA-free foam is ideal for baby’s sensitive skin while providing the best cushion for exploration and play. The item is large enough to be useful throughout many stages of your baby’s development. The pattern choices for either the circle or square mat are sure to complement your decor no matter which room you use it in.
So which one is your top pick? Hope this guide helps!
Last update on 2022-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API