Parents or guardians need to look for the best baby playpen which can keep the kids securely in one spot. However, choosing the best one could be tough as you are overwhelmed with a lot of options in the market.
To make it a whole lot easier for you, I have made this guide and included some of the top rated baby playpens.
Along with their advantages and disadvantages, I’ll help you easily reach a conclusion on the most suitable playpens for your kids to crawl, play or sleep in.
Related: 10 Best Playpen for Crawling
- What is a playpen?
- The Use of Playpen Over the Years
- Summary Table: 5 Top Picks!
- 15 Best Baby Playpen Options in the Market
- 1. Joovy New Room2 Portable Playard
- 2. Summer Infant Pop N’ Play Portable Playard
- 3. Regalo My Play
- 4. BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light
- 5. Toddleroo by North States Superyard
- 6. Delta Children LX Deluxe
- 7. Evenflo Versatile Play Space
- 8. 4moms Breeze Plus Portable Playard
- 9. Cosco Funsport Play Yard
- 10. Gupamiga Baby Playpen Activity Centre
- 11. Delta Children Play Yard
- 12. Dream On Me Olivia Ready-to-Go Playard
- 13. Lotus Travel Crib
- 14. Fortella Cloud Castle Playpen
- How to Look for the Best Baby Playpens?
What is a playpen?
A traditional playpen is a small, portable enclosure with metal bars or net around the side used to keep young children safely in place.
This will allow babies and toddlers to move around a restricted area without constant supervision.
The Use of Playpen Over the Years
Are playpens good for babies? There has been a noticeable decline in the use of playpen nowadays.
Various websites and forums have claimed that there are studies proving that babies who are often placed in playpens and playards (or pack n plays) suffering from long-term physical and mental harm. Worst, some even experience a developmental delay.
However, Professor of Psychology at the University of California, Alison Gopnik has claimed that she isn’t aware of any research of such claims.
The issue has been raising red flags in the baby community; however, using it correctly has been proven to raise no issue for both kids and parents. 
Summary Table: 5 Top Picks!
15 Best Baby Playpen Options in the Market
1. Joovy New Room2 Portable Playard
The Joovy New Room2 Portable Playard offers almost 50% extra large sleep space than most traditional playpens. This can be perfect if you are having or expecting twins.
This amazing pack n play model also comes with two wheels to allow easy transfer of the playpen.
- Parents love the attached wheels that provide easy transfer
- Offers more viewing area
- Extra large playpen with ample play space
- With a zippered case for effortless storage and to keep dirt from getting in
- The mattress from previous models was tighter fitting
- Support two babies from 0M plus up to 35” tall
- Compact fold with travel bag
- Large mesh windows provide a 360° view in and out
2. Summer Infant Pop N’ Play Portable Playard
This flexible Pop N’ Play Portable Pack & Play by Summer Infant is great outdoors and indoors.
Also, this playpen has mesh side panels on all sides for better visualization and ventilation for your baby inside.
What I like about this product is that the canvas floors are water-resistant, perfect for both indoor or outdoor use.
- Easy fold and set up
- Pretty good space
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Needs foam to cover the pipes for the kids’ protection
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE – Whether playtime is indoors or out, keeping your little one in one place is essential. The Summer Pop ‘n Play Portable Play Yard provides 14 square feet of contained playing area, and the folding metal frame weighs only 12 pounds
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE – The ultra-lightweight and compact play yard for baby and toddler is perfect for use at home inside or out, a day at the park or even a vacation at the beach.
- COMPACT FOLD – With a lightweight, innovative pop and fold design that sets up and comes down in seconds, plus an easy and compact fold, you can have a travel toddler and space saver baby playpen to bring with you on all your adventures.
3. Regalo My Play
Create a safe environment for your kid in seconds with this Regalo My Play. It is equipped with easy-to-clean nylon bottom that gives protection from rough surfaces and a soft ventilating mesh that allows good visualization and air circulation inside.
This playpen boasts of an all-steel frame with a double locking mechanism which ensures the safety of your kids. Parents can easily reach their babies and interact with them!
- With detachable fabric for easy cleaning
- Fast and easy installation
- Space saver and lightweight
- Sturdy construction
- Large areas and coverage
- The crib mattress is very thin
- The mesh net is a bit flimsy
You may be interested in: Choosing the Right Crib Mattress Size
Regalo My Play
- PERFECT FIT: The nylon bottom provides protection from rough surfaces. The My Play 6-panel measures 48 inches wide and 26 inches tall. Patented easy fit, one-time adjustment system.
- PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Designed with a simple fold and go deign. Easy to set up and take down within seconds.
4. BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light
Traveling with kids has never been made easy, thanks to BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light.
I can safely say that this is one best playpen for newborns because of its ultra-comfortable mattress with a 100% Trevira mattress cover that comes along with the portable crib.
What makes this playpen more appealing than other travel cribs to me, is the fact that it is free from harmful substances as approved by the Oeko-Tex Safety Standards.
- One of the best travel cribs that is super easy to set up and takedown
- Comes with a comfortable and firm mattress
- Removable and machine-washable fabrics
- Free from harmful substances
- Opening on the top is a bit smaller
- Simple to set up and fold up
- Easy to take with you
- Soft and comfy mattress. Mattress is High-resilient PU foam
5. Toddleroo by North States Superyard
Now that your toddler is on the move, it is important to create a risk-free play area either inside or outside the house with the Toddleroo by North States Superyard.
This is one of the best playpen for babies with 8 panels to give a sizable play space for your kids. The Superyard Colorplay boasts of its fast and easy setup.
- Provides a sizable play area for your kids
- Sturdy and stable
- Soft plastic panels are children-friendly
- Needs more space to pop the joints apart or remove panels
- A bit pricier
- May be slightly tricky when it comes to removing panels
- KEEPING TODDLERS SAFE SINCE 1953: Worry-Free Safety! Perfect for indoor & outdoor use, the Toddleroo by North States Superyard Colorplay creates a safe playpen anywhere. Add the convenient Folding ABC Play Mat (sold separately) for added comfort during tummy time
- AMAZING VALUE, SAFE & CONVENIENT: This play yard sets up and folds up quickly. Comes complete with carrying strap and non-slip pads. Plus, the durable plastic is kid-tough and difficult for either pets or children to climb
- VERSATILE: This durable plastic eight panel play yard creates up to 34.4 square feet of protected play space. Using in a smaller space? Simply remove two of the panels for a play area of 18.5 square feet
6. Delta Children LX Deluxe
The Delta Children LX Deluxe will keep your baby contained and safe at the same time comfortable. It comes with a removable infant portable bassinet, removable diaper changing station, and detachable storage compartment for added convenience.
What I like about this product (apart from other top picks) is that it can be converted to a full-size playard that provided babies with more freedom!
You are also assured of your baby’s safety as this product is built from long-lasting materials that can survive toddler years of playing and jumping.
- Comes with two mattress heights
- Includes removable changing table for double duty
- Storage pockets included
- Easy assembly
- Best budget option for budget-conscious parents
- Slightly heavier
- RECOMMENDED USE: Deluxe Play Yard features a removable full size bassinet and changing table; Bassinet holds up to 15 pounds; Changing Table holds up to 25 pounds; Play Yard holds children up to 35 Inches tall
- FUN FOR BABY, EASY FOR YOU: Removable mobile arm with hanging plush toys engages early visual development; Removable changing table station features waterproof surface; Snap on hanging storage compartment for diapers, wipes and other toiletries
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY: Quick and compact fold; Includes carrying bag for fuss free travel or storage; Easy to pack; Great mini crib alternative; Two wheels allow for easy movement from room to room; Easy to assemble; no tools required
7. Evenflo Versatile Play Space
This Evenflo product is made of high-quality materials build under strict manufacturing guidelines, making it the best playpen for infants among others in the market.
This versatile outdoor playpen has reversible legs with stakes perfect for outdoor play time use and non-scratch floor pads for indoor use.
Besides, it has a unique hinge design for simple and fast set up plus smooth edges which makes it safe for your younger babies.
- Heavy-duty and stands tall enough to contain kids within
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- With rounded and non-sharp plastic edge
- Colorful design
- Offers an amazing 18.5 square feet of space
- Doesn’t have enough play or sleep space
- Indoor, Outdoor Versatility: Exclusive reversible legs have outdoor stakes for lawn stability and anti-movement, non-scratch floor pads for any interior floor surfaces
- Spacious: Over 18.5 square feet and 28” tall provides a safe space for the child to play
- Easy and Quick Assembly: No tools required
8. 4moms Breeze Plus Portable Playard
Now, you may be thinking this is called a ‘playard’ instead of a ‘playpen’.
It’s all thanks to the few features that the 4moms Breeze Plus has, making assembly a breeze for a portable playpen upgrade.
Its one-handed open and close mechanism is as simple as it gets when you’re a super busy parent. It is also easy to move around thanks to its portability and weight.
This portable pack n play performs especially well for travel purposes among even the best play yards!
- Hassle-free set-up and fold
- Lightweight and portable
- Includes a carrying case
- Compact and perfect for enclosed space
- Mattress can only be used with 4moms sheets (add on crib sheet)
- Parents report durability issues
- One push open, one pull close
- Easy, one-handed set up and take down
- Includes detachable flip changer & removable bassinet
9. Cosco Funsport Play Yard
This Cosco Funsport Play Yard provides generous space for infants and toddlers at home or outside.
This goodies has four mesh sides, so your child won’t feel isolated inside. The two wheels on one end allows easy movement in between rooms.
- Easy to set up and fold
- Very handy to carry
- The mattress doesn’t have a zipper to remove the boards inside during washing
- Functional portable play yard for busy parents: The cosco funsport play yard is lightweight and easy to move, so you can spend less time setting it up and more time enjoying playtime with your little one
- Spend less time setting up: Setup is a breeze and takes less than one minute with this play yard; Just remove it from the carry bag, open the base, and prop up the sides; When you’re done, fold it back down using the quick squeeze latch
- Move around the house with ease: Each cosco funsport play yard is fitted with wheels for mobility so that you can easily Maneuver it around the house when you or your child wants a change of scenery
10. Gupamiga Baby Playpen Activity Centre
The Gupamiga Baby Play pen Activity Centre is designed with a rubber base to keep it standing sturdy on the floor and cannot be easily dragged or pushed by even multiple children.
What makes this product more interesting for me is that it is made of BPA-free and non-toxic material, which makes it safe for babies who usually love to taste everything.
- Easy to set up and take apart
- Doesn’t easily tip over
- Doesn’t emit any toxic smell
- Made from non-toxic, BPA-free materials
- Gaps are quite wide
- 🏆MOM'S LIFESAVER: Keep baby safe in there play activity centre when mom/dad needs to cook, clean up, go to the bathroom, etc.
- 🏆STURDY HOLDING: Specially designed anti-slip rubber feet underneath of the yard so the parts don't go sliding around.And We added the Anti-stick arm design in the picture to make the baby playpen more stable
- 🏆COVERS A LARGE AREA: It is a great amount of play space for baby to learn walk and even laying with baby in it for play time. Total dimensions is 59x59x23.6inches.
11. Delta Children Play Yard
Playtime and naptime can happen anytime, anywhere with the Delta Children Play Yard.
This spacious 36×36 square design allows plenty of space for your baby to rest or play safely. This product comes with a mattress for your little one’s more comfortable sleep.
- Ample space inside
- Sturdy and reliable for when parents need a quick break
- Breathable fabric
- Easy to install and fold up
- The mattress is soft and comfortable
- Quite heavy
- Recommended for children unable to climb out (less than 30 pounds and up to 35 Inches tall) Full size 36 Inches x 36 Inches Playard
- Includes mattress and carrying bag Compact fold for easy storage and travel
- The item dimensions are 36 x 29 x 36 inches
12. Dream On Me Olivia Ready-to-Go Playard
The Dream On Me Olivia Ready-to-Go Playard offers a secure play paradise for your kid.
It has water-resistant padded floor that limit dirt accumulation perfect for indoor and outdoor use and makes it easier to clean and maintain.
The padded sturdy frame is great for additional safety. It also has an additional locking device to keep your babies safe inside.
- Good enough size
- Portable and lightweight
- Easy to set up and fold
- Comes with a lot of safety features
- Mattress is sold separately
- LIGHT & MOBILE: Its lightweight frame allows easy mobility. Set-up is easy and takes seconds, thanks to a quick fold mechanism. It folds & stores compactly in the travel bag provided making it the ideal travel accessory
- BREATHABLE MESH: The Olivia’s airy mesh sides allow easy ventilation and allow 360° visibility for you and your child! Use indoors and outdoors with ease!
- PRIORITIZING SAFETY: The Olivia’s sturdy aluminium frame makes it durable; the padded bars offer added safety. Additional locking device makes it sturdier, making it a safe place to let your child play!
13. Lotus Travel Crib
The Lotus Travel Crib is not just a travel crib – it is an everywhere crib.
It comes with a comfortable mattress that is perfect for babies with an age range of 3 years and below. One interesting feature of this playpen is the quiet side zippered opening where you can easily go in and out of the product.
This pack n play is the only playpen with a GreenGuard Gold certification. I must say, as a travel crib that doubles as your baby’s bed, going to grandparents’ house using this model is truly hassle-free.
- Easy transport and set up
- Hassle-free storage and folds thinly
- Firm surface with quiet side zipper
- GreenGuard Gold Certification
- A bit tricky to get inside the bag
- WORRY-FREE AIRPORT TRAVEL - Designed to be easy to fly with the compact, light backpack carrying case. Set up is simple in 15 seconds and only weighs 13 lbs packed.
- CERTIFIED SAFE & NON-TOXIC - The only playard with GreenGuard Gold non-toxic certification (low voc & no lead, phthalates, pvc, heavy metals, etc). Full-height mesh guarantees best, breathable airflow.
- QUIET SIDE ZIPPER DOOR - Nurse or cuddle your little one to sleep, then just zip the lockable access door. Easier on your back, and when it’s time to play & crawl, more fun!
14. Fortella Cloud Castle Playpen
This Cloud Castle Foldable Playpen by Fortella offers an extra large and guarded safe play space for your child. To ensure the safety of your little kid inside, this playpen has skid resistant pads and 14 hinge connectors to ensure that the playpen is fixed on hard floor so it won’t easily tip over.
What I like more about this playpen is that it has a whiteboard and other fun-oriented activity that keeps kids entertained inside.
Also, not to mention how I can create more space – and even a mini kingdom by purchasing available 4-panel extensions for extra panels!
Compared to other contenders on this list, this one can expand!
- Easy and fast set up and fold up
- Beautiful pastel colors in many different shapes and sizes
- Pretty easy to clean
- Comes with other fun-oriented activities for the kids
- Offers a huge total of 25 square feet of space
- Dirt is easily visible
- Extensions purchased separately
- FOLDABLE & PORTABLE: Easy storage and take it anywhere; anti-slip/non-scratch pads work on any surface indoors/outdoors.
- STURDY & SECURE: Keeps its shape and position thanks to its strong hinge connectors and anti-slip pads; includes a gate with safety lock that allows convenient access and secures your baby inside.
- FUN & EDUCATIONAL: Drawing has been shown as the most effective way to improve your child’s motor skills and cognition development. The Cloud Castle includes a whiteboard on the back of the door panel to satisfy this need, while its activity wall with 5 sensory toys fosters your little one's independent play.
How to Look for the Best Baby Playpens?
A great playpen is a perfect way to provide your baby the freedom to play and practice tummy time while keeping him or her in a secure spot to prevent accidental injuries.
You may be interested in: Alternatives to Baby Tummy Time
Choosing the most suitable playpen needs you to contemplate on the factors you need in a playpen. Before you settle with a buying decision, you must first consider these factors:
Before you go and decide which product or model to buy, you must first establish what you need the play pen for, whether you want it as a play area for toddlers or multi-functional area where you could change diapers and keep your baby comfortable during sleep.
For instance, if you intend to use your best playpens for baby sleeping purposes, you may need to look into AAP’s safe sleep guidelines. Infants under 1 year of age should sleep on their backs using a firm sleep surface free of loose bedding and toys to reduce the risk of SIDS. 
Speaking from personal experience, understanding your expected use and the rules of using your baby playpens is crucial in keeping your baby safe!
Further reading: 8 Best Playpen for Toddler Reviews
Weight of Baby
It is also important to consider the weight of your baby, as some play pens especially those with a changing station and infant bassinet have a weight limit.
Note: Playpens, playards and pack n plays are generally federal regulated, meaning that they all have a rather standard weight limit.
When your child can climb out of the fence (even if they haven’t reached the weight or height limit), it’s a sign to using the product.
Size of Restricted Area
You must check the dimensions of your product of choice before you decide to buy it. Consider investing in a model that is designed for small spaces if you have limited room for a playpen.
On the contrary, if you have more than enough room and that space is not a concern, then by all means, you can get something expandable using extensions such as the Fortella Cloud Castle Playpen to cover most space possible you have!
You may be interested in: Best Play Pen for Small Spaces
The folded size of the playpen is also important, especially if your family loves to travel or if you have a minimal place to store it. In such cases, just as with baby strollers, a model that folds compactly is the perfect way to smoothen your trips!
Construction is also a crucial factor to consider in a playpen. It must be made of sturdy materials for long time use.
The ideal play pen for baby should also offer good visualization and ventilation for your baby. Nowadays, there are also products made of non-toxic materials, which for me, is perfect. I, for one, am a fan of portable playpens!
Note: Look for baby products with slats small enough so your little ones won’t accidentally get their arm or leg stuck. 
If a playpen is not safe for the baby, then it’s definitely a no-no for parents. Playpens with foam insulation, paired with play mat for hardwood floors and thick crib mattress will give utmost protection for your little ones.
Investing in a reliable model allows you to feel at ease knowing that your babies are safe doing what they love within the spaces!
Extra Great Features
Modern playpens for babies now have extra features with baby items like toys, changing station, infant bassinet, built in storage pockets, waterproof fabric, and attached wheels which makes it more appealing for both babies and many parents.
You may be interested in: Best Pack N Play with Bassinet
There you go with our selections of all the best models available in the market!
My top pick is the Delta Children LX Deluxe because it offers a lot of features fit for a newborn and can later be converted to a playpen by the time the child outgrew the infant bassinet.
I also love some of its baby products which are made of non-toxic materials!
Hope this article has helped you with your buying decision!
Last update on 2022-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API