When you’re a new mom, leaving your baby alone is a scary thought. However, your baby also needs alone time for its growth and development.
The best thing you can do is creating a safe and clean space for your baby to move around during its awesome playtime. You can do that with the use of a baby soft playmat.
In this article, we will help you find your ideal baby foam play mats for your child!
You may be interested in: Best Baby Play Mat
- Why Use a Foam Play Mat?
- Reviews of the 15 Best Soft Foam Playmats for Babies
- 1. Organic Baby World Explorer Play Mat
- 2. Wander & Roam Baby Playmat
- 3. SoftTiles Kids Foam Play Mat
- 4. Gupamiga Reversible Waterproof Baby Play Mat
- 5. Squishy Mats Jumbo Squishy Mat
- 6. Little Bot Baby Playmat Ofie Mat
- 7. Skip Hop Reversible Waterproof Foam Baby Play Mat
- 8. Baby Care Play Mat
- 9. Wee Giggles Non-Toxic Foam Baby Play Mat
- 10. V-mix Handmade Weaving Children Play Mat
- 11. Comfort Design Mats Premium Stylish Foam Floor Mat
- 12. Tadpoles Baby Play Mat
- 13. Infantino Topsy Turvy Soft Foam Puzzle Mat
- 14. BalanceFrom Kid’s Puzzle Exercise Playmat
- 15. Creative Baby 9 Piece Interactive Playmat i-Mat
- How to Choose the Best Foam Play Mat
Why Use a Foam Play Mat?
Baby foam play mats are designed for one thing—to keep your baby safe during its alone time.
While toddler play mats and play gyms are viable options, the latter is best if you prefer something more convenient, lightweight and portable for your baby’s playtime.
Because of their designs, they offer plenty more benefits for babies. These include:
- providing sensory experience to kids.
- protecting hardwood floors.
- promoting learning.
- encouraging child’s growth and development such as reaping the benefits of crawling.
Reviews of the 15 Best Soft Foam Playmats for Babies
We present to you the best baby foam play mats for babies along with their pros and cons:
1. Organic Baby World Explorer Play Mat
The Organic Baby World Explorer playmat is a 47 x 47- inch soft quilter stylish playmat that features a travel theme. The mat has a gender-neutral soft color scheme that is perfect for minimalist parents and babies.
Made with a thick GOTS organic cotton canvas, you are sure that your baby will feel as comfortable as possible when playing on this. The good news is the thick fabric is washable so that maintenance won’t be an issue for you.
- Stylish and minimalist appearance
- Travel themed
- Quilted for durability
- Thick fabric for comfort during baby tummy time
- Easy to fold and store
- A bit small
- - 47" x 47" soft quilted playmat is perfect for tummy time and learning how to crawl
- - The soft color scheme is suitable for either gender and can also be used interactively for toddlers/preschoolers as they learn about places in the world and features
- - Mat can be machine washed easily and base fabric is a thick GOTS organic cotton canvas in grey.
2. Wander & Roam Baby Playmat
Here’s another option with a minimalist and stylish design – wander & roam Baby Playmat. What I like about this product is that it has a reversible mat design that looks more like a rug to match your home’s decor, so it’s like having two mats in one!
This product is made of 1/2 – inch thick soft foam that is also waterproof so you can avoid stains and protect the foam from water seepage.
The mat is easy to wipe clean, too, since you only have to wipe it down with a damp cloth or baby wipes.
- Reversible design
- Waterproof surface
- Neutral Scandinavian design
- Made of harmless foam that is free of BPA, latex, PVC, and formamide
- Passed all US and European Standards
- Hypoallergenic and nonflammable
- Not as much of a durable foam mat compared to other exceptional competitors
- Can be an inconvenient baby gear that is difficult to flatten after it has been rolled
Related: Best Hypoallergenic Formula
3. SoftTiles Kids Foam Play Mat
The SoftTiles Kids playmat is comprised of light pink, orange, light blue, yellow, and white tiles with a silhouette of 4 animals, including monkey, giraffe, lion, and elephant. The floor tiles are super easy to put together and pull apart.
This 6.5 x 6.5 feet modular playmat is made up of 2×2 feet interlocking tiles so you can configure its size and shape. The mat’s baby-safe EVA durable foam meets safety standards.
What I like about this product is that it is 5/8- inch thick and is considered to be one of the thickest mats available.
- Safe for babies as there are no small parts included
- One of the thickest mats similar to that of a queen mattress
- Made of non-toxic materials and BPA-free EVA foam
- Trademark sloped borders for smooth transition to the floor
- Eye-catching animal design
- Unwanted smell upon opening
- DESIGNER: Colorful Safari Animals really give playrooms a modern and distinctive look. This Safari Animals play mat set features Monkey, Giraffe, Lion, and Elephant interlocking foam mats.
- SOFT: Fun children's flooring make hardwood floors, tile, and concrete basements into soft playrooms. Create safe cushioned floors for crawling babies and toddlers learning to walk.
- SAFE: SoftTiles are created for kids and the baby play mats have no small pieces! SoftTiles are Nontoxic Foam Mats and do not contain formamides, lead, BPA, phthalates. We have been selling foam mats since 1994- children have grown up on SoftTiles!
4. Gupamiga Reversible Waterproof Baby Play Mat
The star of the Gupamiga reversible playmat is its material. Instead of PVC, the playmat uses what they consider to be the world’s safest material—XPE.
As compared to PVC, the XPE material is a lot lighter and has a longer-lasting color and design. It is also waterproof. Above all, XPE the material is considered to be pollution-free and odorless, so you are assured that this product is safe for your baby.
- Waterproof design
- Made of pollution-free and odorless XPE material
- Easy to clean using sanitizer and wet cloth
- Animal design with neutral and minimalist colors
- Long-lasting color
- Highly portable
- Not as soft as mats made with PVC
- ⭐【Extra Large & thickening】The thickness is up to 0.8 inches，very soft surface for babies and children to play on from birth to school,Heat insulation and cold insulation，crawl, walk, play, protect the child safe growth.
- ⭐【Soft Material】We use the world's most safe XPE material, absolutely non-toxic and pollution-free, and with the best film covering technology, the pattern will not wear and fade and give the best health guarantee for the baby.
- ⭐【Water Proof】Waterproof design of the surface, no matter food residue, milk stains or urine, It only need a wipe with a soft damp cloth.
5. Squishy Mats Jumbo Squishy Mat
If minimalist is what you want, minimalist is what you will get from this Squishy Mats jumbo playmat. The mat features an unassuming beige color and design.
This mat provides kids a 9 square feet of comfortable entertainment area, all thanks to its impact-absorbing memory foam center. It also has a non-skid backing for the baby’s safety.
The mat is easy to roll, can be shut with a Velcro system, and even comes with a built-in handle.
- Comes in two sizes
- Non-slip design
- Washer and dryer safe
- Made of ultra-soft ¾-inch thick memory foam
- Certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Not a waterproof baby gear
- TUMMY TIME is CRITICAL for your baby's growth and maturity. The Jumbo Squishy is a safe padded play area to master rolling, sitting and eventually crawling. Your Baby can learn to move on the Jumbo Squishy. It has 16 square feet of sumptuous, safe PLAY AREA paired with non-skid backing, and a super soft impact-absorbing memory foam center. .
- The Jumbo Squishy Mat is 48" x 48". All Mats have been certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and are approved for children of all ages.
- YOUR BABY CAN LEARN TO MOVE SAFELY on the Jumbo Squishy. It has 16 square feet of sumptuous, safe PLAY AREA paired with non-skid backing, and a super soft impact-absorbing memory foam center. All Mats have been certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and are approved for children of all ages.
6. Little Bot Baby Playmat Ofie Mat
With its minimalist colors, this Little Bot Baby Playmat is probably one of the most beautifully designed mats I have ever seen. This baby mat has a reversible design that looks like a modern rug, allowing you to enjoy beautiful designs in one mat.
Made with lab-tested 100% baby-safe material, this mat is safe not only for babies but pets as well. If you have pets, you will surely appreciate its scratch-free surface.
What I like about this baby mat is that it is easy to clean as you also have the option of vacuuming it.
- Vacuum safe
- Versatile minimalist colors
- US and Europe Lab-tested safe materials
- Pet-friendly scratch-free design
- Comes in three different reversible Scandinavian designs
- Stains easily
- Beautifully designed floor mat for the next level of home comfort. Soft to the touch, easy to clean and pets friendly.
- Ofie mat is a large single-foam mat that has reversible sides. Designed with a keen eye for detail, this shows how we believe home décor should be – simple, with a fun little twist (Little Bot playmats featured in New York Magazine and Design Milk).
- It’s a safe and non-toxic play mat for babies and families. Our play mats are made from some of the best foam materials that are both safe and durable, and as fellow parents, we understand just how much safety and quality means to you.
7. Skip Hop Reversible Waterproof Foam Baby Play Mat
Here’s another reversible mat that features a minimalist design on one side and a colorful highway design on the other. This Skip Hop reversible waterproof baby playmat is one of the widest playmats in the market.
Despite its large size, this single-sheet mat is easy to store, roll, and travel with.
It is made of waterproof, BPA- and phthalate-free material. To clean it, you can simply wipe it down.
Trust me when I say older toddlers especially love to drive their toy cars on this one!
Learn more about it by watching this video:
- One of the biggest playmats in the market comparable to a queen mattress
- Cushioned for baby’s comfort
- Easy-care foam mat
- Two-in-one reversible design
- Rolls up for portability
- Interactive road network design great to play with playtime with toy cars
- A bit thin for some users
- Not as durable as other mats
- Designed to double the choices for stylish, baby-safe floor covering, our reversible playmat flips from a colorful kid-friendly pattern to a modern décor print for two looks in one
- Completely PVC-free, the easy-care foam mat provides a jumbo-size cushioned play space that works equally well in the livingroom or playroom
- Single sheet construction rolls up for convenient storage, simply roll it up for transport and storage
8. Baby Care Play Mat
If your child loves the greens, it will surely fall in love with this double-sided design playmat by Baby Care. The reversible play mat features a greenery scene on one side and a green polka dot design on the other.
This large size playmat is made from a waterproof and eco-friendly PVC material that is guaranteed safe and 100% recyclable. According to the manufacturer, the mat has innovative cushioning. Their claim is an egg won’t break if it dropped to the mat from a surface that is 10 feet high.
- Eco-friendly and recyclable
- Tested to US and European Toy Standards
- Made of toxic-free PVC material
- Innovative cushioning that can reduce risk of falls
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- Has chemical smell
- Shows cracks after a few months
- LARGE & ONE-PIECE - comparable to a queen mattress in size. No hassle with puzzle mat pieces
- INNOVATIVE CUSHIONING - an egg dropped from 10ft wouldn't break
- NONTOXIC & SAFE - free from phthalate, BPA, lead, latex, formaldehyde, and EVA (Tested to European Toy Standards EN71)
9. Wee Giggles Non-Toxic Foam Baby Play Mat
The Wee Giggles playmat is the first modular infant playmat on this list. Since you can configure its size and shape, you may want to consider getting this if you will put it in small spaces.
Designed by a pediatric nurse, this playmat is made of EVA foam material that is free of all harmful chemicals. The best thing about this mat is that you can configure it to have a fence that can secure the baby inside the mat.
The mat also comes in different colors and shades—from the bright ones to neutrals.
- No small parts
- Customizable size and layout
- May be designed with a fence to contain the baby
- Comes in two sizes and different colors
- Passed US CPSIA standards
No products found.
10. V-mix Handmade Weaving Children Play Mat
The V-mix Children Playmat is probably one the most stylish baby play mats I have ever laid my eyes on. It comes in a luxurious and plush coral velvet material that is available in 7 solid color options. For the mat, you have 7 color options, which include deep blue, coral, brown, green, pink, red, silver, and yellow.
The mat has a waterproof surface and a non-slip bottom. It is also made of non-toxic materials and is easy to clean.
The playmat is a one-piece mat, but the seller can customize of it to any size and shape for you.
- Available in 7 colors
- Can be customized to any size and shape
- Stylish solid-colored design
- Soft sponge filling to make baby feel comfortable
- Can be returned within 30 days of purchase
- Needs to undergo a rebound process which may take up to 5 days
- Upgrade Memory Foam Carpet: Our carpet for living room is made of 100% coral velvet fabric and 1.18 inch (3cm) thick upgraded high-density memory foam filler, which is soft and comfortable to the touch and enhances resilience. The newly upgraded blue rug adds more cushioning at the foot, and the 94 x 78 inches extra large baby play mats has enough space for family activities.
- Non-toxic Extra Thick Rug: Our playmat for babies is breathable and comfortable, without irritation to the skin and will not fade. The 1.18 inch thick rug pad provides a soft cushioning height for the soles of the feet, which helps reduce the pain of children falling down, and is very suitable for your children to crawl and play.
- Durable and Easy to Clean: Our carpet for bedroom has different sizes and colors. You can also contact us to custom rug any size and shape you want. Carpets usually only need to use a vacuum cleaner or pat the dust off or wipe with a wet cloth for daily cleaning. The rug for bedroom is durable and not easy to wear in daily use, and can maintain a lasting color even if it is used for a long time.
11. Comfort Design Mats Premium Stylish Foam Floor Mat
The first time I looked at this Comfort Design foam mat, I thought it was a classy floor rug because of its beautiful designs. Among its four designs (double brown espresso, foliage, floral oasis, and navy leaves), my favorite is the floral oasis as it is pretty and vibrant to look at.
Designed for durability, the waterproof soft foam mat is half inch thick and features a waffle-like texture to its surface. Instead of the usual foam material, it is made of TPU material is similar to that of memory foam in the sense that it is squishy and soft. This means – it is easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth!
- Stylish design options
- Can be mopped, vacuumed, and spot cleaned
- Passed CPSIA Safety requirements
- Does not contain toxic chemicals
- Squishier and softer than foam
- Colors have a yellower tint in actual
- Colors vary between batches
- MORE PRACTICAL THAN INTERLOCKING PUZZLE MATS AND RUGS Our large one-piece 6.5 ft x 4.5 ft x 0.5 in. premium floor mats are designed to look like gorgeous area rugs, but they're softer, easier to clean, won’t shed, and won't accumulate stains or buildup to protect your flooring. They also won’t trap pet hair and dust, which helps keep your home free of common allergens. And unlike interlocking mats, they won’t come apart during active play.
- HALF INCH THICK, SQUISHY SOFT FOAM With a waffle-like surface texture, our mats insulate children from hard floors and little bumps. These are also a perfect alternative to exercise mats. Please note that in order to make sure our mats are non-toxic, PVC-free, and EVA-free, they will not be firm and will not have a rubbery surface as PVC mats do.
- HIGH QUALITY, ODORLESS, AND DURABLE Great as a replacement for area rugs or as an extra cushion on top of your existing rug. Our premium foam mats are NOT like the typical puzzle mat material. They are similar to memory foam with a durable outer layer that is made to last – even durable enough for most pets! We tested many, including the cheaper materials, but we wanted to create a mat that is safe, comfortable and one that will support your child’s growth.
12. Tadpoles Baby Play Mat
The Tadpoles Baby Play Mat is made of 100% non-toxic EVA foam. It differs from all the other modular mats (or even other foam mats in general) in the sense that this one does not only have removable centers; it also has removable border pieces.
When fully assembled, it creates 50 x 50 inches of play space. It comes in 12 different bright colors and designs that are all suitable for kids.
- Wide array of stylish designs and eye-catching colors
- Can be cleaned with soap and water
- Free of harmful chemicals
- Use two sets to create a large play area
- Users claim that multiple sets may not work together
- For fun and exercise: This set of thick, soft playmats provides a perfect spot for your kiddos on the floor. The 16 interlocking mats are great for playtime, exercise or sound-dampening
- Cover the playroom floor: This set includes 16 square mats, measuring 12” x 12” each. Also includes 16 border pieces. Total area covered = 50” x 50” (16 square feet)
- Comfy and non-slip: This 16-piece mat set offers a cozy spot for your child to play and protects your floor from damage. Interlocking tiles grip the floor and stay put, for safety and comfort
13. Infantino Topsy Turvy Soft Foam Puzzle Mat
If you love to make your baby’s fun time more fun and colorful, you should check out this soft puzzle mat from Infantino. The baby floor mat is made up of six large interlocking pieces with pop-out shapes in the middle.
The mat has a dense foam for cushioning the baby. Such material is known for its durability.
- Visually stimulating
- Manufactured by a reputable company
- Comes with pop-out shapes and pieces
- Great for narrow spaces
- Small play area
- Expensive for its size
- Design: Over 11 square feet of supportive, extra thick and cushioned material with figures; soft surface to keep baby comfortable and engaged while playing
- Developmental benefits: Safe for infants, soft and textured material featuring pop-out shapes which encourages baby to reach, grab and enjoy sensory play
- Great for gifting: This set is packaged in easy-to-wrap packaging and is a suitable gift for any occasion including baby showers, birthdays, Christmas, Easter and more
14. BalanceFrom Kid’s Puzzle Exercise Playmat
Made with lab-tested baby-friendly EVA foam, this 0.4-inch thick BalanceFrom Kid’s Puzzle Exercise Playmat mattress is guaranteed safe and healthy for your baby to play with.
Its tiles feature different bright colors, including red, blue, yellow, green, and lavender. The interlocking pieces are like a puzzle game with different edge pieces for your baby to put together.
The mat comes in two different sizes and can be customized to suit the size and layout of the room.
- Available as a 16-tile and 36-tile set to help kids practice fine motor skills
- Comes with 2-year warranty
- Moisture-resistant technology makes it easy to clean
- Non-slip surface
- Corners lift up easily which make baby easily pull the pieces out
- Gets dirty easily
- 16-Tile: Item comes with 16 tiles in 4 colors and 24 end borders (6 boarders each color). Each tile measures 12"x12"x0.4". Each square = 1 square foot; total coverage 16 square feet (4' x 4' area)
- 36-Tile: Item comes with 36 tiles in 9 colors and 54 end borders (6 boarders each color). Each tile measures 12"x12"x0.4". each square = 1 square foot; Total coverage 36 square feet (6' x 6' area)
- Non-toxic, tested free of lead, bpa's and Phthalate; Meet or exceed the US regulated toy safety standards. Easy to clean with damp cloth & mild soap. Interlocking feature and lightweight make it very simple to assemble
15. Creative Baby 9 Piece Interactive Playmat i-Mat
This is a safe and eye-catching Creative Baby 9 Piece Interactive playmat for your baby that is also designed to be an educational space for him when it grows up. The mat comes in three different designs, including the alphabet, animal world, and under the sea.
Considered to be an interactive playmat, it is activated by the voice pen, which is sold separately. Once activated, it can be an endless source of fun and learning for your kid.
To know how it works, watch this video:
- Promotes educational and interactive play
- Colorful illustrations
- Works great on all floors
- Comes with Creative Baby’s Interactive Learning System
- Voice pen has to be bought separately
- Creates a safe and comfortable environment for your little ones to explore and crawl
- Learning purpose: Creative Baby i-Mat, Alphabet with colorful and bright illustration of alphabets provides the first step, an interesting, and untraditional way for children to explore and learn the alphabet
- Interactive: Voice Pen (sold separately) toy will activate the foam mat allowing your little ones to play and learn in multiple languages
How to Choose the Best Foam Play Mat
To find the best baby foam play mats for your kid, here are a few things that you need to consider:
For baby play mats, you have two options—modular and one-piece.
A one-piece baby floor mat can be rolled and folded. As a result, it is super easy to store. Moreover, it may not pose a choking hazard to babies.
On the other hand, a modular mat comes as puzzle-like patterns that you can attract together and split into triangular and edge pieces tiles.
Such a design allows little kids to hone their fine motor skills when paired with your baby’s toys that provide educational value. This is fun for your kids to put together, but it can be a bit of a hassle to install and remove it.
If possible, go for ones that can be cleaned using wipes or sponge. With a modular playmat, you can easily remove one when it gets dirty.
Also, go for a product with a waterproof surface and easy to wipe clean to minimize permanent spills and stains.
Make sure that the size of the baby floor mat will fit your room. With modular mats, you can configure its size and layout to suit the area.
The thicker the baby floor mat, the more comfortable your baby will feel. If your home has hard flooring, pick the type that is best for hardwood floors.
Style or Theme
Thematic baby play mats are recommended as they can make your child’s imagination go wild. You may also need to choose between gender-neutral or gender-specific colors.
In present day, most play mats come printed with colorful colors and decorations perfectly comfortable for your little ones. Pick the one that you or your baby likes best!
Make sure to get a non-skid bottom so there will be no risk of slipping. Also, consider getting a non-toxic infant play mat if you are concerned about baby-friendly material.
If you plan to bring the baby floor mat on your trips, a one-piece mat is the best option to go for as you can easily remove and install it.
I personally opt for waterproof mats (with the Skip Hop reversible waterproof baby playmat being our family favorite) as we love outings to the beach!
You may be interested in: Best Beach Stroller
Since we have mentioned that there are two types of baby play mats in the market, we will give you two recommendations—one for each type.
If you’re looking for a modular baby floor mat for your baby, we recommend the Creative Baby Interactive Playmat for its learning purposes.
On the other hand, we recommend Gupamiga Baby Playmat for a one-piece playmat. This is because it is made of XPE foam which creates a safe and clean space for your baby to play; not to mention, it is environmental-friendly.
Last update on 2023-03-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API