There’s no doubt that baby monitors are great baby gears that have helped a lot of parents to take care and watch over their babies. One proof of this is the enormous number of baby monitors with lots of innovative features.
If you feel that you don’t need to have all those add-ons, there’s one excellent choice for you—the audio only baby monitor. This is a more practical and straightforward option for people on a budget.
But even though the features of these baby monitors are a lot less, there are still lots of things that you need to keep in mind when choosing the best audio baby monitor. We will discover what those are in this buying guide.
If you are looking for a video baby monitor instead, consider reading our article on Best Video Baby Monitor Review!
8 Best Audio Baby Monitors to Get
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Audio Only Baby Monitor
When choosing the best audio baby monitor, here are some of the non-negotiables to look for:
The sound that the monitor should produce must be crisp and clear. The audio monitor must be sensitive enough to pick up the baby’s sounds but not too sensitive that it can pick up the sounds outside the nursery.
Moreover, the best audio baby monitor must focus on the sounds of your baby and rule out all the static or white noises inside the nursery.
To ensure this, go for a DECT (Digitally Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) Monitor, which has minimal interference.
To ensure that the signal is private and can’t be picked up by another person, go for digital baby monitors. Analog monitors are susceptible to interference and hacking.
There are two types of energy sources: Electric socket and battery-powered. A baby monitor with power cord tends to be cheaper and easier to use but not as portable as the one powered by batteries.
The battery-powered ones are good for parents on the go but they can be expensive and run out of power quickly, so go for a baby monitor with rechargeable batteries if you plan to get this type.
If you choose the dual-powered unit, you have to consider its range or coverage. This pertains to the maximum distance between the main and parent unit where you can still get a good signal. The decently long enough range for a baby monitor is around 900 to 1000 m.
You need to check the unit’s battery life to ensure that you wouldn’t have to charge it frequently. A decent battery life is around 8 hours.
If you are always on the go, you need to check out the parent unit’s dimensions. It must be small enough so you can bring the monitor for travels with you or wherever you go.
It is best for your baby monitor to have at least a 1-year limited warranty.
Features to Look for in the Best Baby Sound Monitor
On the other hand, some nice-to-have features can make monitoring your baby a lot easier. These are as follows:
When you need to lower the unit’s volume, the parent unit will notify you when your baby is crying or making sounds by flashing lights.
This is a simple light indicator that will notify you when the unit’s battery is already running low.
Some baby units come with lights that can function as a night light in the nursery to provide you some vision in the dark. On the other hand, some parent units come with torches.
Room temperature display
You can also find best audio baby monitor that can monitor the temperature inside the nursery and alert you when the temperature falls or rises beyond the recommended range (between 16 to 20 degrees Celsius).
This feature will allow you to comfort your baby without having to go to the nursery.
You can also use the parent unit to play lullabies to your baby while he’s in the nursery.
The Audio Baby Monitor Reviews You Need to Read
Now, let’s get down to brass tacks. You can find some information about the best audio baby monitors in the market below:
Manufactured by one of the leading electronics companies in the market, the Philips AVENT DECT Baby Monitor is surprisingly straightforward and free of the innovative features you would find in most baby monitors.
This is because this device was created with only one thing in mind—function.
Even though it doesn’t have the advanced features found in other baby monitors, it is equipped with the innovative DECT Technology that ensures zero interference. This means that you can hear your baby’s sounds crystal clear and without any interruptions. It also offers a secure connection, so you don’t have to worry about hacking and your baby’s safety.
The most notable feature of this best audio baby monitor is its Smart eco mode designed for efficient use of energy. When the parent unit is on this mode, it will only transmit data only when your baby moves or makes a sound.
One thing you need to note is that the device only has an average range of 300 meters for open spaces. Inside the house, the range is only 5 walls or 90 ft. On the other hand, its battery life is outstanding—up to 24 hours!
If you prioritize the ease of use more than the advanced features, you may want to check out this product!
- Easy to assemble
- DECT technology for zero interference
- Sound-activated LED lights allow you to determine the level of sound your baby makes even if the parent unit is muted
- Also functions as a comforting nightlight
- Low battery alerts
- Out-of-range warning
- Size is a bit Poor soPoor sound filtering feature
- Volume in the parent unit is too low even on its loudest setting
- No talkback function
- DECT technology guarantees zero interference, clear souund, with range up to 900 feet
- Parent unit is outlet or battery powered
- 5 sound activated LED lights to show sound level and comfort nightlight
For over 20 years, Angelcare has been providing high-quality baby items, and this baby monitor is no exception. This may be one of the most advanced baby monitors you can ever see.
Even though Angelcare Movement and Sound Monitor is an audio only baby monitor, the company didn’t skimp on its display. It features a full-color digital display, which shows important information like temperature, soundbar, battery level, and many more.
That’s not all. The baby monitor is designed to track both baby’s sound and movement. That’s why it comes with an under-mattress movement sensor pad. The pad can pick up even the slightest movement of your baby regardless if he is asleep or awake.
Once no movement is detected within 20 seconds, the pad will alert you so you can check your baby right away. In some instances, this simple feature can help save your child’s life.
This is also one of the baby monitors that have a long-range– 820 ft. Its indoor range is 262-328 ft, which is quite impressive for an audio baby monitor.
Discover how this product works in this video:
- Out-of-range indicator
- Nightlight functions give a little glow that will guide you at night
- Temperature display
- Movement indicator lights
- Rechargeable battery
- Sensor pad sometimes gives off false alarms
- Sensor pad will only work with a standard baby mattress.
Related: Angelcare Baby Monitor Review
- Under-the-Mattress Movement Sensor Pad – Senses each and every one of your baby's movements and will sound an alarm if no movement is detected after 20 seconds, so you and baby can sleep tight
- Full Color Digital Display – The easy-to-read screen on the Parent Unit clearly displays Nursery room temperature and Sound Lights, as well as your various settings
- Portable & Rechargeable Parent Unit – Carry the Parent Unit with you from room to room for peace of mind
This is one of the baby monitors equipped with the DECT 6.0 Digital technology that can deliver excellent sound quality with zero interference. With this technology, the Vtech DM221 monitor promises to transmit sound waves through a secure connection.
The use and features of this best audio baby monitor are pretty straightforward. Its most notable feature is its 5-level volume indicator, which visually shows you the volume of your baby’s movement when the unit is on mute. It will also alert you with gentle vibrations when your baby is fussy.
The monitor’s battery can last for up to 18 hours, which is already enough to get you through the day. You can simply charge it at night as you sleep. With an outdoor range of 1000 feet and an indoor range of 180m, the monitor’s coverage is pretty average but is already a step up than the other products on the list.
- Two-way talkback feature that allows you to talk with your baby even if you’re not in the nursery
- Rechargeable batteries
- Parent unit comes with belt clip for portability
- Parent unit has a backlit display
- Parent unit doesn’t stay linked to the main unit
- Units play a loud message every time you link them together
- Only the parent unit can be battery-powered
- CLEAR AUDIO AND LONG RANGE - DECT 6.0 technology provides clear audio transmission, eliminating annoying background noise while allowing you to move from room to room. Up to 1,000 feet of range lets you stay connected to your baby from another room
- 5-LEVEL SOUND INDICATOR AND 2-WAY TALK-BACK INTERCOM - LEDs on the parent unit indicate the level of sound in your baby's room so you can visually monitor the noise level. The built-in intercom on the parent unit lets you talk to your baby from any room
- NIGHT LIGHT ON THE BABY UNIT - A soothing light on the baby unit gently illuminates a dark nursery. Both the parent unit(s) and baby unit allow you to turn on or off the nighlight on the baby unit
This is probably one of the smallest baby monitors that you can ever use. However, you should not judge the book by its cover. The HelloBaby HB180 baby monitor may be small, but it’s got all the features you need.
This is one of the few baby monitors that use the advanced DECT 6.0 Digital Technology, which offers a private connection and clear audio transmission with no interference.
Despite its small size, this baby monitor has an outdoor range of 1000 ft and an indoor coverage of up to 300m. Among the products in this list, this is the longest indoor range. With its long-range, this is suitable for large houses or houses with lots of walls and divisions.
Another good news is that both the monitor’s baby and parent units can be battery-powered, so they are highly portable.
- LED lights indicate the level of sound inside the nursery when the receiver is muted
- Talkback feature allows you to talk with your baby even if you’re in another part of the house
- Room temperature monitoring feature
- Can be used to play lullabies to your baby
- Digital display shows battery and signal level and temperature
- Poor sound quality
- Drains battery fast
- Secure Private Connection: DECT 6.0 provides a secure private connection to your baby, clear audio transmission for up to 1,000ft (300m) unobstructed range.
- Two Way Talk Back Communication - Comfort your baby with the sound of your own voice by using the two-way talk back system.
- Room Temperature Monitoring: Allows to ensure your baby stays in a comfort and safe environment at all times.
One look at Summer Infant Baby Wave Audio Monitor, and you can tell that it is a deluxe monitor. It has an all-white design with a black screen that features a multi-colored LED digital display.
The display shows the information on the nursery’s temperature and a soundbar that indicates the volume level of the baby’s sounds and noises. On the other hand, the central unit has a butterfly design that glows at night to guide you or comfort your baby.
It gives off important alerts for low battery or out-of-range warnings. All alerts have adjustable volume control so you wouldn’t accidentally wake up your little one.
The best feature of this monitor is its high-sensitivity microphone that picks up even the baby’s slightest sound. The cool thing about it is its ability to filter out the background and ambient noises so you can focus on monitoring your baby.
- Temperature monitoring can be seen in both Celsius and Fahrenheit
- Units come with built-in belt clip for portability
- Rechargeable battery included
- Nightlight can be turned on/off using remote control, so you don’t have to go inside the nursery
- Two-way communication
- Volume on the parent unit is incredibly low
- Main unit has a weak mic
- Shortest range (650 ft)
- Advanced Technology: 1) 100% digital technology ensures an interference-free, private and secure connection, range up to 650 feet, 2) Sound activated LED lights, indicating the level of noise coming from baby's room
- Remote Control: 1) Monitor temperature in baby's room, reading on parent unit with option for Fahrenheit or Celsius reading, 2) Nightlight with remote on/off, 3) Two-way communication
- Portability and Convenience: 1) Handheld portability with built-in belt clip, 2) Adjustable volume control, and out of range and low battery alerts, 3) High-sensitivity microphone focuses on baby's sounds, while filtering background, ambient noises
Vtech is a well-known electronics company, so it doesn’t come as a surprise that they have two products on our list. The Vtech DM111 a simpler and more affordable version of the Vtech DM221.
Despite the difference in their prices, both use the DECT 6.0 Digital technology and have an outdoor range of 1000 ft. This is a big surprise considering the price of this baby monitor.
Additionally, the Vtech DM111 emits different alert tones for various situations that require your attention. It beeps twice when your battery is running low while it beeps thrice when the parent unit is already out of range from the central unit. It also has silent light alerts for both instances.
Another useful feature is that its nightlight automatically turns off when no movement is detected within 15 seconds. This helps you save both energy and money.
- Most affordable product in the list
- Parent unit has belt clip-on
- 5-level sound indicator to help you visually monitor baby’s sounds when the monitor is on mute
- Parent unit can be battery-operated
- You have the option to get two parent units (at an additional fee)
- Main unit catches white and static noises
- Short battery life on the parent unit
- Insert alkaline batteries (sold separately) into the parent unit and it will stay on while you move it to a new room. For extended monitoring, make sure the parent unit is plugged into AC power
- DECT 6.0 provides crystal clear transmission, eliminating the annoying white noise you hear from analog monitors
- 5-level sound indicator - graphic bars on the parent unit indicate the level of sound in your baby's room so you can visually monitor the noise level with the unit muted
7. TimeFlys Digital Audio Baby Monitor Mustang QQ
This is the only baby monitor in the list that uses the FHSS Digital technology. According to the manufacturer, the TimeFlys Digital Audio Baby Monitor Mustang QQ uses 36 channels to detect and deliver crystal clear sounds without any interference.
The manufacturer focused on Green Technology and Wellness. At night mode, the monitor will have Zero-emission when your baby is silent. It will start transmitting sounds when your baby makes noises that are above 50dB.
The monitor’s most highlighted feature is its Micro-USB connections that will allow you to charge the parent unit through a laptop and other USB-powered devices. The cute penguin design is also a plus point.
Its battery can run up to 12 hours at a single charge. It can cover an outdoor range of 1000 ft and an indoor range 150 ft, which is good enough for a medium-sized house. It’s also a good alternative to a baby monitor like the Angelcare AC420 monitor.
- Great for camping and traveling
- Plays 8 lullabies to soothe your baby
- Two-way talk feature
- Temperature sensor
- In addition to temperature alarm, the screen will flash Lo or Hi so you can adjust the temperature accordingly
- Too bright lights cannot be dimmed on parent unit
- Drains battery fast, especially the baby unit
- PACAKGE - The parent unit additionally includes rechargeable NiMH batteries, while both baby and parent units contain battery compartments and Micro USB connection.
- TWO-WAY TALK & LULLABIES - Parents can talk to and comfort the baby by pressing the talking button. Lull your baby to sleep with a wide option range of up to 8 lullabies!
- NIGHT LIGHT CONTROL - Parents can remotely control the night light for the baby anytime needed.
Here’s a sound activated baby monitor designed for working parents and parents that are always on the go. The Motorola MBP164CONNECT was designed to help you connect with your little one no matter where you are.
This best audio baby monitor uses both DECT and WiFi connectivity. With the DECT technology, you can monitor your baby while inside the house with a secure connection and interference-free transmission.
On the other hand, the WiFi connectivity allows you to listen to your baby when you’re outside the house through the app called Hubble. You can download this on your phone.
Through this app, you can also track and analyze your baby’s sound activity and sleeping pattern. Thanks to the main unit’s high-sensitivity microphone, you can determine when your baby is quiet and noisy at night. In this way, you’ll have a better idea of the quality of sleep they had through the night.
The main unit has a Plug and play design that’s perfect for traveling. You just plug it in the socket of your hotel room, and it is good to go!
With all of these fantastic features, you will be surprised by how affordable this device is!
- Two-way talk allows you to talk with your baby wherever you are
- Nightlight can be turned on or off using the parent unit or smartphone.
- Perfect for parents on the go
- Comes with support stand for easy placement of the control unit
- Sound level indicator lights
- You would need to use an extension cord to position the central unit properly
- No full battery indicator
You may be interested in: 10 Best Baby WiFi Monitor
- HASSLE-FREE INSTALLATION - To use, just plug the baby intercom monitor into any electrical outlet in your child's room and control it using the dedicated parent unit or your compatible smartphone
- STAY UPDATED DAY OR NIGHT - Be alerted immediately whenever the monitor detects sound in your child's room. It's high-sensitivity microphone is designed to capture even the slightest sounds
- REASSURE YOUR BABY ANYTIME - Speak to your toddler through the parent unit or via your compatible electronic device. Your baby will hear you clearly through the monitor's integrated speakers
Which is the Best Audio Baby Monitor for You?
We love how the Vtech DM221 Audio Baby Monitor gives you extra peace of mind even without the video feature. The excellent sound quality and 5-level sound indicators will be something parents will appreciate for an audio only baby monitor.
The Motorola MBP164CONNECT Audio Baby Monitor is your next best audio baby monitor if you don’t mind using an app over WiFi to check on your child. It allows you to monitor your baby wherever you are and offers useful information such as sleeping patterns and sound activity. With its low price, it gives value for your money!
Last update on 2020-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API