Getting your baby to fall asleep and stay asleep in the early months after birth can be somewhat difficult. They spent 9 months in your belly, cozy and warm, listening to the sound of your heart and being swayed on a consistent basis.
Coming into the outside world can be quite a shock, and it can cause troubles when it comes to nap time. That’s where a baby swing can help. Your little one can feel cozy as they are swayed gently to sleep.
Here we will take a closer look and dive into the 5 best baby swings for sleeping.
5 Best Baby Swings for Sleeping Summary
There are a lot of good reasons to choose a baby swing for your little one’s naps.
First, the best baby swings for sleeping help your little one feel safe and secure, almost like they are back in the womb again. The swinging motion and confined space help to lull them to sleep in the early months after birth.
Second, baby swings are hands-free. Unlike bassinets, which need to be rocked by hand (or foot), baby swings keep going on their own so that you can rest or get some work done nearby without having to focus on swinging your infant or pushing the swing for toddler to sleep.
Finally, baby swings typically take up less floor space than bassinets. Some best swing for baby to sleep can fold or even come with removable parts that make it easier to travel with or store when not in use.
This can be quite a topic of controversy as many experts do not recommend allowing your baby to sleep in a swing for extended periods of time. However, this is mainly to deter parents from keeping their babies in swings all day and not allowing them to practice other motor skills that will be learned through tummy time, like crawling, pulling up, and cruising.
Laying your baby down for a nap in their swing can be very helpful to you since it rocks them automatically and helps them sleep longer. The best baby swings for sleeping are also safe as long as you remain close by to keep an eye on them, balancing swing time with tummy play time.
You can read more about baby swing safety in this article: Baby Sleeping in Swing – Is it Really Safe?
When purchasing a swing to help your baby sleep, you want to make sure it actually puts your baby to sleep and keeps them asleep. This means you want to ensure that the swing moves smoothly no matter what speed you have it set at.
You don’t want a swing that jerks too much or comes off balance. That will likely just wake your baby up.
Because your baby will be laying inside something that is raised off the ground and moving, you want to make sure the best baby swings for sleeping have safety options to keep your baby secure.
This means you want a secure yet comfortable 5-point harness as well as padding with head support to keep your little one in place while the swing is on.
Opting for a swing instead of a bassinet more than likely means you want something that will save space in your home. Not all best baby swings for sleeping are super compact or space saving though. Some take up more floor space due to a larger frame.
If you want a swing that takes up less space, look for a smaller frame or one that comes with the option to fold it up to store when it is not in use.
Some best baby swings for sleeping sit really low to the ground which can make it difficult for parents to get them in and out without straining their backs.
You may want to look for a swing that sits a bit higher off the ground to make it easier.
In addition to the swinging motion and plush cushions included, you may want to consider other comfort options that may be included to help your baby sleep better in their swing. These may include soothing music and nature sounds as well as vibration settings. Some baby swings come in a combination of functions such as a swing and bouncer combo, which may be good if you are searching for a swing that offers more purpose for the bucks.
You can read our review on swing bouncer combo: 5 Best Baby Swings and Bouncers Combo
One of the best sleeping swings for babies is this Moonlight Cradle ‘n Swing from Fisher-Price. You get a lot of options with this swing. It glides in two different directions, head to toe as well as side to side, and the sound box is programmed with 16 songs and soothing nature sounds to help your baby snooze better.
When your baby isn’t napping, the overhead mobile provides visual stimulation with 3 plush animal toys and a mirror in the middle to allow them to gaze at their reflection.
- Two swing motions: side to side and head to toe
- 16 songs and soothing nature sounds
- Moving mobile with mirror globe
- 2 seat recline positions
- Easy to change seat and swing positions
- Takes up a lot of floor space
- Mobile motor is loud
- Swing makes a clicking noise when it moves
- Swings a bit fast, even at the lowest setting
- Dual motion baby swing sways side-to-side or head-to-toe
- Customizable soothing with 6 swing speeds, 16 songs and sounds, and adjustable seat recline
- Motorized mobile with mirror globe and 3 soft animal toys help entertain baby
This affordable portable swing by Ingenuity is one of the quietest best baby swings for sleeping options available. Many baby swings on the market often have noisy motors or the moving parts and joints click as it swings. This one remains nice and quiet to give you peace of mind and help your baby sleep better.
It is also easy to store when you aren’t using it. The frame folds down so that it takes up less space and can easily be put into a closet or taken in the car with you to the grandparents’ house.
This swing is also available in four cute colors and designs, so you are sure to find something that will fit your home’s aesthetic.
- Four color designs to choose from
- Folds easily for portability and storage
- Removable toy bar
- Multiple speed settings and soothing melodies
- Affordable pricing
- Uses a lot of batteries
- Very low to the ground and difficult to get baby in and out
- No volume control for music
- Not recommended for tiny newborns & big toddlers
- Tackle to-dos while baby rests in comfort by your side in the Ingenuity Soothe 'n Delight Portable Swing; soothe baby with music using volume control and parent-controlled timer settings (15, 30 or 45 min); auto-shutoff at 60 min
- Folds up for compact storage; easy travel to grandparents’ house and beyond; removable toy bar with 2 plush toys for easy access to baby; powered by 4 C batteries (not included)
- 6 extra quiet swing speed options for more moments of calm; adaptive swing technology adapts with your baby's weight to maintain their ideal speed
When the title says “EveryWay” they truly do mean every way. This EveryWay Soother Baby Swing by Graco is quite high end, giving you the option of 16 variations of movement: 8 ways to swing and 2 swing directions. Use a combination of arch, swing, bounce, figure-8, circle, wave, zig-zag, and sway motions in both head to toe and side to side directions.
Another great feature of this swing is that the swing seat can be removed and used as a portable rocker. This makes it much easier to keep your baby nearby no matter which room of the house you may be in.
- Side to side and front to back swing motions available
- Eight ways to swing
- Six swing speeds available
- Swing seat doubles as a portable rocker
- Very stable design
- Tricky to remove swing seat from the base
- Doesn’t move smoothly all the time
- Very expensive
- No option to transition to seated position
- Eight ways to swing and two directions mean 16 soothing motions to comfort and soothe baby
- Eight ways to swing: arch, swing, bounce, figure 8, circle, wave, zig-zag and sway.DO NOT place product near water and moisture
- Multi-direction seat allows baby to enjoy either side-to-side or front-to-back swinging for more soothing options
This Cradle ‘n Swing is an excellent product from Fisher-Price; it is highly versatile, giving you every option you could want in a swing for your baby to sleep.
With two ways to swing – side to side and head to toe – and 2 recline positions, you can find the most comfortable combination to help your baby sleep better. There are also calming vibrations and 16 soothing songs and nature sounds to choose from.
Another great feature of this swing is the fact that the plush seat pad, with body insert and head support, is machine washable.
- Two swinging options
- Two recline positions
- Calming vibrations and soothing song and sound options
- Machine washable seat pad
- Deluxe body insert and head support
- Easily comes off balance
- Motor doesn’t always swing at the speed it’s set at
- Difficult to assemble
- Takes up quite a bit of space with the wide set legs
No products found.
This Duet Glide swing by Graco is a great multifunctional option among the best baby swings for sleeping that can easily be taken with you on the go. The swing seat removes from the base to be used as a portable rocker.
The swinging motion for this product is quite unique, sitting on a frame that allows it to glide smoothly rather than swinging freely like most other models. This can be more soothing for your baby since there aren’t any jerking motions.
You have four motions to choose from: swinging, gliding, or a combination of side to side or front to back. You also have 2 vibration speed options and 15 songs and sounds to help soothe your baby and help them sleep better.
- Unique sliding and gliding motion
- Seat doubles as a portable rocker
- 4 soothing motions to choose from
- Vibration with two speed settings
- Toy bar with removable plush toys
- A bit expensive
- Only good for smaller babies
- Batteries only for the swinging motor
- Music quality is a little scratchy
- Unique swinging or gliding motions mean more options to choose from to soothe your little one
- Swing seat conveniently doubles as a portable rocker and has carry handles to keep baby close by throughout the home
- Choose from 4 soothing motions to comfort baby - swinging or gliding side-to-side or front-to-back.Do not use bleach or detergent
There are some great options, but there is one product that is the obvious choice for best baby swing for sleeping: the Graco Duet Glide Gliding Swing with Portable Rocker.
This swing hits all of our main buying points. The rocking motion is smooth, gliding gently to keep your baby asleep which is our main criterion in purchasing a baby swing. It sits high enough off the ground that you don’t need to bend over too far to get your baby out. It is also highly versatile since the top swing seat removes to be used as a standalone rocker.
It may be a little pricey, but for the benefits it offers, it is worth the investment.
Last update on 2023-06-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API