Sleeping with your newborn in the same room is recommended for the first several months after birth.
For that to happen (and to be frank), your options are quite limited. I personally recommend considering a bedside bassinet for your baby to stay close to you during the night.
However, you can also choose between a smart bassinet, rocking bassinet, moving bassinet, or even baby cribs.
If you’ve decided to go with just a simple baby bassinet, I’ve got you covered!
In this piece, I’ll walk you through everything you need to know to pick the best bassinet for your baby, including various models and types, market bestsellers, and brands!
Before I move on to the best bassinets reviews, let’s first see why getting one is an excellent idea!
- Do You Need A Bassinet?
- Types of Bassinets Explained
- Best Baby Bassinets: Our Top Picks Summarized
- Best Bassinet for Baby: 10 Comprehensive Reviews
- HALO BassiNest Swivel Sleeper – Best Overall
- Chicco LullaGo Anywhere Portable Bassinet – Best For Travel
- BabyBjörn Cradle – Best For Small Space
- Arm’s Reach Mini 2-in-1 Cosleeper Bassinet – Best For Tall Beds
- 4moms mamaRoo Sleep Bassinet – Best Soothing Bassinet
- Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet – Most Generous With Storage
- Happiest Baby SNOO Smart Sleeper Baby Bassinet – Best Bedside Bassinet
- Dream On Me Karley Bassinet – Best Folding
- Graco Pack ‘N Play On The Go Playard – Best For Naps
- Uppababy Stroller Bassinet – Best Versatile
- Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Baby Bassinet
A newborn bassinet is practical because it is compact and keeps your baby cozy, plus close to you.
Compared to a crib, it takes up a lot less space in your bedroom. Naturally, it might not come built-in with as much storage space as a crib. However, a bassinet is still your best bet that you temporarily can use until you set up a nursery.
Another thing worth mentioning about bassinets is that they are easy to move from one room to another if you need to change places, much like a portable travel crib.
However, what I personally love about bassinets is that they allow you simple access to your baby during the day and night! This is something parents will appreciate the most in the first days, and even months after you come home with a baby.
Modern-day products – modern bassinets usually come with an excellent set of features such as rocking motions, foldability, wheels, etc.
Despite that, parents will still need to keep in mind that a bassinet is only suitable for use during the first six months after birth, after which you have to transition to a crib.
Editor’s Note: It is up to you as the parents whether you will choose a bassinet for baby in the first several months and transition to a crib along the way, or use a crib since day one.
The bottom line here is that you need a safe place for your infant to sleep.
Before you decide which baby’s bassinet is for you, you need to first understand the different models available on the market.
Bedside sleepers are the most common bassinet type on the market. They stand close to your bed and are easy to pull over towards the bed and have your baby closer to you. Best-rated bassinets of this type feature mesh inserts so you can monitor the baby all the time!
Co-sleeper baby bassinets feature a moveable side panel that ensures your baby stays within an arm’s reach. You can lower them to reach the baby easily or raise the height if necessary. Some models can even be securely connected to parents’ beds.
Any bassinet that attaches to bed is great for mommies after C-section.
Vibrating bassinets feature soothing vibrations that help soothe the baby and let it sleep calmly. Top bassinets of this category come with adjustable vibration settings which are great for fussy babies!
Modern motion bassinet models are often referred to as self-rocking bassinets. Some models require manual movement.
Look for a baby rocking bassinet that swings while detecting a baby’s movements. The gentle swinging helps soothe the baby to let them fall asleep easier.
In-bed bassinet options are the same as any other type, but they usually don’t come with a stand. Instead, they are supposed to be used with you in the bed.
Because of this, these bassinets are only suitable for large beds. Nonetheless, they are great for breastfeeding during the night.
Related: How to Make Breastmilk Fattier
A travel bassinet for baby is foldable, easy to pack, and move. You can also find some excellent playard portable bassinet combos that can squeeze into a travel case in a few steps.
An excellent thing about adjustable bassinets is that you can set up the height you want the baby bassinet mattress to sit on. That way, you can customize the bassinet according to your needs and reduce the bending and uncomfortable movements.
These are especially great for mums after C-sections or of different heights.
Here are all the standout features of the best baby bassinet picks compared. Take a look at the chart to have a better understanding of how different the reviewed models are.
HALO BassiNest Swivel Sleeper meets the needs of a newborn for a safe, cozy and comfortable sleeping-place.
Rest assured that it’s not just another boring bassinet. In essence, it is a bedside sleeper. What this means is that it also fits the needs of modern parents for a practical, easily accessible, and adjustable crib alternative!
This product is positioned on an adjustable stand, so to make it closer to you, you’ll need to pull the crib up or sideways. The side panel is moveable, and the BassiNest has a unique 360-degree swivel feature.
The BassiNest is available in three versions – Essentia, Luxe, and Premiere. The differences are in sound, vibration, and storage.
The Essentia model has a convenient storage pocket which is great for storing baby essentials such as wet wipes or pacifiers.
Overall, BassiNest by HALO ensures safe and comfortable sleep. The breathable, mesh walls allow you to monitor the baby all the time!
Further reading: HALO BassiNest Swivel Sleeper Review
- 360-degree swiveling feature
- Convenient storage pocket
- Adjustable height
- Easy to keep clean
- Heavier than similar bedside cribs
- Not the most portable option
- From your trusted brand leader in safe sleep, our award-winning HALO BassiNest is beloved by parents and nurses for its safety, comfort, and convenience. Our best-selling HALO BassiNest is the only bassinet with a 360º swivel to keep your newborn close allowing for essential bonding.
- Designed with mothers in mind, the patented lowering bedside wall makes it easier to care for baby from bed, especially for breastfeeding and C-section moms.
- Patented lowering bedside wall allows you to tend to baby from bed. Wall can be locked in the upright position, if desired.
Are you searching for a portable bassinet? Don’t skip the Chicco LullaGo Anywhere Portable Bassinet!
It can become a great traveling companion for you and your baby. The entire bassinet only weighs 12 pounds.
Despite how lightweight it is, sturdiness and stability are both non-issues. This portable bassinet Chicco Lullago is perfectly stable and safe for your baby.
The metal legs are easy to assemble and ultra-durable. The bassinet is equipped with mesh panels on the sides to allow the baby to sleep in a well-ventilated space. The plus? You get to see all the movements inside!
The storage pocket is on the side and you can use it to store a few items, bibs and pacifiers included. Overall, LullaGo is compact, easy to fold & carry with you, and comfortable.
It might lack some fancy sound, swiveling, and lighting features, but when it comes to portability – LullaGo is absolutely unbeatable.
- Easy and fast assembly and disassembly
- GreenGuard Gold certified for safe use
- Gender-neutral design
- Comes with a carry bag
- Minimalist design doesn’t include a lot of practical adds-on
- Fabric needs hand-washing
- Weighing only 12 pounds, LullaGo Anywhere features an ultra-lightweight design, space-saving footprint and convenient carry bag for restful sleep at home and away
- Includes a waterproof mattress with a firm, flat sleep surface, a fitted sheet and zip-off, machine washable bassinet fabrics
- Sturdy, snap-on metal legs allow for fast and easy assembly and mesh side panels provide reassuring visibility and airflow
BabyBjörn Cradle can be the perfect baby girl bassinet. Of course, the neutral color will also make it a great option for boys.
Made from premium materials far away from a cheap bassinet, it is overall a compact and cozy product.
It is a type of swaying bassinet, and you can move it with your hands or let the bassinet move according to the baby’s movements. The sway motions are gentle and calming.
I also like the cradle bassinet fabric. It is machine-washable just like the waterproof mattress cover, which are both included in the price. The fabric is soft and dries quickly.
Overall, the BabyBjörn Cradle is modern and practical. You can move it easily from room to room, and the foot grips ensure stability and keep your floors intact!
- Stylish design
- Breathable mesh sides ensure proper air ventilation and monitoring
- Cradle is not lockable to prevent movement
- Lulls your baby to sleep with relaxing, gentle rocking movement
- JPMA Certified Product with low height and transparent mesh fabrics allowing for secure supervision of your baby
- Easy to move around the house so you can always have your child close to you day and night
Is it a bassinet, crib or something else? It is a unique co-sleeper!
You can use it as a free-standing crib or a bedside co-sleeper.
The Arm’s Reach Cosleeper Bassinet isn’t a bassinet that connects to bed per se. It is a bassinet with wheels and detachable side panel. These features make it a super travel-friendly pick that is easy to move and pack in the included travel case whenever you need to be on the go.
The Arm’s Reach Mini 2-in-1 Cosleeper Bassinet is also a convenient sleeping solution for tall beds because the manufacturer sells compatible leg extenders – which is a lifesave for tall parents out there!
They allow you to increase the height of the bassinet and make it compatible with your tall bed with outstanding precision.
Mini 2-in-1 offers a lot of space for storing large items. Its unique design with freestanding legs, wheels, and detachable panel make it stand out from other similar bassinets!
- Very spacious
- Travel case included
- Side panel is easy to detach for nighttime feeding and soothing
- Side pockets and underside ample storage space
- Fitted sheets, wheels, and mattress included
- Adjustable height
- Leg extensions sold separately
- On the heavier side
- See and reach your newborn boy or girl at all times with this side sleeper baby bed from the company that invented the term "co-sleeper"
- Two modes: Bedside co-sleeper or freestanding baby bassinet with two wheeled legs
- Foldable and portable bassinet for baby, with a carry case for travel, attached under-crib storage for larger baby stuff like changing products, and side pockets for smaller baby things like baby accessories and essentials
The 4moms mamaRoo bassinet is a unique piece of baby gear with outstanding soothing features! 4moms mamaRoo Sleep Bassinet features sound and moving options that you can control via its phone app.
There are five soothing movements, four white noise sounds, and five speeds. The bassinet is equipped with a timer too. The control panel on the crib is also user-friendly.
In addition, I personally like the cozy shape of the product and the mesh sides that allow me to play peek-a-boo’s with my infant!
If you appreciate modern tech solutions in every life sphere, you will love the 4moms modern bassinet. Apart from modern soothing features, the bassinet is sturdy, comfy, and easy to clean.
- Easy to set up
- White-noise sounds are great for calming a fussy baby
- Mesh screens
- Remote control operation enabled via the app
- Tested for safety
- No storage pockets
- Firm, flat sleep surface
- Mesh sides for visibility and airflow.Tool-less assembly
- 5 unique motions to soothe & improve sleep
Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet stands out with its storage option, soothing features, and weight limit.
The maximum weight limit for this bassinet with storage is 40 pounds while most other bassinets have weight limits set to only 20 pounds.
Below the sleeping surface, there is ample storage space – great for keeping your supplies near. You can keep diapers, toys, and even spare sheets below.
The bassinet also features sway motions. It can move when your baby moves or you can sway the bassinet with your hands. If you don’t want the bassinet to sway, it is easy to lock it out.
Overall, I liked how the bassinet by Fisher-Price ensures gentle swaying movement which soothes the baby. The Fisher-Price bassinet also offers removable night light and soothing light projection.
- Spacious storage under the sleeping surface
- Great value for the money
- Soft pad is easy to remove and wash in the machine
- Extended weight limit compared to other bassinets
- Vibrations only last for 30 minutes or less
- Entertainment features (light and sound) might be more interesting to babies once they overgrow the bassinet
- Calming sway motion generated by you or baby.
- Dual-mode lighting. Choose from soothing projection and night light (Light projection unit is removable & can be used as a tabletop soother.)
- Flat sleeping surface with deluxe overhead mobile
Happiest Baby SNOO Smart Sleeper Baby Bassinet may feature a simple and minimalistic design, but it offers a lot. The bassinet’s gentle rocking motions feel like the one’s baby felt in the womb. Those could be extremely helpful with a nervous baby!
Interestingly, SNOO detects movements in the bassinet and automatically self-rocks and plays white noise. The sounds gradually increase to calm the baby.
SNOO is compatible with its app, which ensures simple customization. It also has a preemie mode and a weenie option to help you transition to a crib when the time comes.
- Automatic motion detection triggers rocking and sounds
- Aids in the sleep training process
- Suitable for preemies
- Excellent customer policy – 30-day trial mode enabled
- No storage
- Getting used to all modes and options in the app and finding the most appropriate for your baby takes time
- Added Sleep: SNOO Sleeper boosts sleep 1-2+ hours per night, so parents get more sleep than with other baby cribs or smart furniture. Our moving sleeper bassinet soothes babies with the constant rumbly sound and gentle rocking motion they loved in the womb.
- Automatically Responds To Cries: SNOO detects fussing and the self-rocking bassinet responds with gradually stronger white noise + motion to calm crying. Your own essential personal helper, 24/7!
- Prevents Risky Rolling: The only bassinet, sleeper, or bed that keeps your baby safely on the back, the #1 safe sleep guideline recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). Comes with 3 hip-safe sleep sack swaddles.
Karley Bassinet by Dream on Me is different from the other models on the list – and this is because of its unique canopy and quick-folding mechanism.
The canopy is extendable and made from soft and comfortable fabric. It also features a zipper top.
The Dream on Me Karley Bassinet is available in 14 styles, so you can easily find a style that matches the interior decor of your bedroom.
The folding mechanism is impeccable – you can quickly fold and move the bassinet where you want. The weight limit is slightly above average at 25 pounds.
Overall, the Dream on Me Karley folding bassinet is spacious, safe, and stylish. You will also get an adjustable double canopy and a one-inch mattress pad with the bassinet purchase.
- Plenty of storage space
- Sturdy aluminum frame folds quickly
- Doesn’t take a lot of space when folded
- Non-adjustable height
- Attaching crib toys can be challenging due to canopy
- Canopy isn’t removable
- LIGHT AND VERSATILE: The Karley Bassinet is designed with a lightweight aluminum frame that allows you to move it easily from room to room. It comes with a no-tool assembly and quick-folding mechanism. Use it indoors and carry it outdoors without any hassle
- ROOMY INTERIORS: With dimensions of 34.5L x 19.5W x 37H inches, the Karley is as spacious as they come. The roomy, airy bassinet features an adjustable double canopy that keeps bugs away; There is also a large storage bag to hold your babies essentials
- STYLISH LOOK: The Karley is made out of a soft, safe and comfortable polyester foam fabric, which is easy to clean. It is available in nine beautiful finishes, allowing it to blend in beautifully with the nursery of your dreams
At a glance, I am talking about simple playard. But, when you put in the bassinet insert, it transforms into a sleeper.
What this means is that once the baby is older than six months, you can remove the insert and keep the Graco Pack ‘N Play for playtime.
It comes with a firm pad insert for sleeping. The manufacturer doesn’t recommend inserting a standard mattress because of the flexible sides and potential risks that come with that.
The pad might seem too firm for a 12-hour night sleep, but it is perfect for daytime naps or a second bassinet to keep at your grandparents.
This product with a bassinet insert truly impresses once you start using it as a playard. It is easy to pack, spacious, breathable, easy to clean, and affordable.
If you prefer a bassinet with changing table, Graco also makes practical portable playards-bassinet crib with this feature.
- Easy to clean
- Easy to fold
- Not the best choice for a full-night sleep
- Pad is too firm and thin
- Reach through bassinet folds with your playpen for quick set-up and easy travel with less parts to carry.
- Folding feet and wheels allow for a 20% more compact fold than the average playard, making it easy to store and to carry.
- Removable, full-size bassinet provides the perfect spot for baby to catch a nap, at home and away.
It is compact and stylish with a ventilated canopy. The bassinet features a perforated mattress pad which ensures the baby’s comfort all the time. In addition, the inner liner is waterproof and resistant to spit-ups!
The canopy has a UPF protection of 50, which is great for summer walks and naps. One thing to note, though, is that this compact bassinet from Uppababy is only suitable for babies under 20 pounds.
The stroller bassinet by Uppababy is suitable as an overnight sleeping solution, but if monitoring the baby is important to you, choose a bassinet with mesh sides.
- Bassinet easily snaps into the stroller frame and the stand
- When used with a stand, the bassinet is sturdy and offers storage space
- Difficult to clean, the fabric may stain
- Sides aren’t see-through
- Compatible with VISTA 2015-later, VISTA V2, CRUZ, and CRUZ V2 strollers
- Vented base and mattress for breathability
- Extendable, UPF 50+ sunshade & canopy unzips for added air flow
How large is the bassinet? If you are looking for a bedside bassinet, check if you have enough space next to your bed to position the bassinet. Also, what about height?
If you are tall, would it be uncomfortable for you to put the baby in a bassinet and take it out multiple times per day? Bending may cause a strain in your back and slow down the recovery process after C-section if the bassinet is too low.
Also, don’t forget to check how much sleeping space your baby has. You want the bassinet to be comfortable but still cozy.
Mark out products that don’t meet your requirements. Simple as that.
Some of the best features to look for are soothing motions, sounds, adjustable height, storage space, and foldability. The top-rated bassinet may also include wheels, machine-washable fabric, vibrations, and light projections.
Any bedside bassinet will work if you want to keep your baby close to you every night. If you are planning a family trip, a foldable bassinet will be perfect. It will also work great if you need a second bassinet for your grandparents’ home!
If you don’t mind spending extra cash and getting all the help you can get, consider investing in a vibrating and swinging bassinet.
HALO BassiNest Swivel Sleeper really has it all – excellent design, outstanding features, and not to mention, it is one of the safest bassinets. The adjustable height makes it practical and versatile, so I am positive that you won’t regret giving it a chance.
If you already have a crib or favorite bassinet, and you are looking for a temporary sleeping solution when you’re on the go, the Chicco LullaGo Anywhere Portable Bassinet won’t disappoint!
Its sturdy construction with quick assemblies and compact fold fits any space while managing to keep the baby safe and cozy!
I hope you find the guide useful. Do share your top picks with me in the comment section and see you soon with more parenting articles!
Bassinets are considered a completely safe sleeping option for a newborn. Every bassinet sold on the US market undergoes strict regulations. 
You may be interested in: How To Choose Between A Bassinet Vs Crib
A baby can sleep in a bassinet as long as they meet the weight and age limits established by the manufacturer.
It is usually around 20 or 25 pounds and lasts five or six months. However, in the case when the baby starts to crawl and roll over, it is time to move on to a crib.
The mattresses are usually thin to prevent the infants from sinking their heads into the thick mattress padding. Even if the baby turns the head face down, the thin and firm bassinet mattress allows the baby to breathe safely.
Yes, you do. Fitted sheets are most practical because they are easy to put on and remove for cleaning.
Yes, a bassinet is safe for night sleeping as long as the sleeping surface is firm and flat.  On the other hand, keep in mind to never engage in sharing a bed with a baby because it increases the risk of suffocation and SIDS. 
Further reading: Sharing Bedroom With Baby
A good bassinet should have the following:
- Firm mattress
- Sturdy and stable frame
- Easy to clean fabric
- Waterproof mattress cover
- International safety certification – JPMA and Greenguard gold
- Convenient soothing features
- Simple assembly
- Storage space
Rocking bassinets are convenient for soothing an irritable baby. If you opt for one of these, note that they should contain a locking mechanism or a timer. These features will help prevent endless rocking motions and ensure a stable and firm sleeping surface for the baby.
Last update on 2022-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API