Is your baby crying non-stop due to gassy tummy?
If he persists in his discomfort even after altering the baby milk or applying soothing oil, perhaps you might want to consider changing his milk bottle.
In this Best Bottle for Gassy Baby Review, I will share with you the 10 top bottles for you to choose and buy!
- Why Does Your Baby Need a Milk Bottle with Special Air Venting System?
- Summary of the 10 Best Bottle for Gassy Baby Review
- Best Overall: Philips Avent Anti-Colic Baby Bottles
- Best Venting System: Dr. Brown’s Original Bottle
- Best for Breastfed Babies: Comotomo Baby Bottle
- Best for Reflux: Playtex Baby VentAire Bottle
- Best for Formula-Fed Babies: NUK Simply Natural Baby Bottle
- Best Premium: Evenflo Feeding Glass Premium Proflo Vented Plus Bottles
- Best for Newborn: Nanobebe Breastmilk Baby Bottle
- Best Slow Flow: Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature
- Best Ease of Cleaning: MAM Anti-Colic Bottle
- Best for Weaning Babies: Munchkin Latch
- How to Choose the Best Bottle for Your Gassy Baby?
- Say Bye to Colic with the Perfect Bottle
Why Does Your Baby Need a Milk Bottle with Special Air Venting System?
When our babies cry frantically even after being cuddled or fed, it most likely is because of stomach discomfort. From my experience, one of the typical pains that can happen to our baby is gassy tummy.
The best way to prevent gas pains on your child? Switch from the regular milk bottle to the vented one!
This type of bottle comes with a valve, straw, and hole-in-the-nipple that pushes air to the back of the bottle or out, instead of gathering at the nipple and mixing with the milk.
By using air-free bottles, your baby will remain healthy and away from the air ingestion!
Summary of the 10 Best Bottle for Gassy Baby Review
Here’s a summarised list of our 5 top picks!
Best Overall: Philips Avent Anti-Colic Baby Bottles
Philips Avent makes use of a nipple venting design. Many happy mothers out there are satisfied with this brand – it works as expected.
The vent holes in the nipples allow air to enter the bottle and prevent a vacuum from building up.
With the controlled air flow, your baby will consume more milk and less air. Thus, you will experience less cranky baby due to happy tummy.
Besides its well-functioning venting system, there is another reason why I recommend Philips Avent. At about $20, I can get five bottles in a single pack!
It is very economical and practical for your baby. Plus, the overall design of the bottle is straightforward so that you can expect less cleaning hassle with Philips Avent.
- Competitive price
- Slow flow nipple works great with newborns
- Easy to clean
- Prevent tummy ache due to gas
- BPA-free bottle with soft silicone and anti-colic nipples
- Not available in glass bottle
- All five bottles are of similar size – 9 oz
- Clinically proven to reduce colic and discomfort
- Anti-colic valve integrated into the nipple vents air into the bottle and away from baby's tummy. Designed to reduce gas and fussiness
- Only 4 parts for quick and easy cleaning and simple assembly
Best Venting System: Dr. Brown’s Original Bottle
For anti colic bottles to work their magic, they need a great venting system. Dr. Brown’s Original Bottle certainly has one! It is one of the best no air bottles because the unique venting system offers vacuum-free feeding, which closely mirrors breastfeeding. This means absolutely no air bubbles that can cause gas, colic, and fussiness.
The milk is able to flow freely without negative pressure, resulting in a pleasant experience for your little one. Because the vent system allows air to bypass the milk, there is also no oxidation. This helps to preserve vital nutrients like lipids and Vitamins C, A, and E.
- Internal vent system keeps milk air bubble free
- Great at preserving milk nutrients from oxidation
- Fits most breast pumps
- Includes slow flow nipples for paced feeding
- Includes lid caps
- Prone to leaking milk if tipped
- Difficult to mix milk in without leaking
- Continual milk flow may not be ideal for moms who want to alternate with breastfeeding
- Vent system eliminates negative pressure and air bubbles to help reduce colic, spit up, burping and gas
- Fully vented bottle design provides vacuum free feeding similar to breastfeeding
- Helps maintain vitamins C, A and E plus lipids
Best for Breastfed Babies: Comotomo Baby Bottle
The Comotomo Baby Bottle is one of the best bottles for gas if you have a breastfed baby. When alternating between bottle and breast, it is important to have a bottle that mimics nursing. These bottles are designed to do just that in order to minimize refusal and nipple confusion. They’re also awesome if you have a windy baby because they have two dual anti-colic vents.
These vents help to decrease negative pressure build-up, which can cause air bubbles and subsequently gas and colic. The soft and squishy silicone is great if your child wants to try holding their own bottle. Parents love the wide opening that makes cleaning a cinch.
- Nipple shape and flow mimic breastfeeding
- Dual anti-colic vents cut down on gas
- Microwave, sterilizer, dishwasher, and boiling water safe
- Made of soft, BPA-free silicone
- Wide-neck design makes it effortless to clean
- Ounce markers can be difficult to read
- Wide bottles aren’t compatible with all types of sterilizers
- The nipples aren’t marked with flow speed
- Comotomo baby bottles are deisgned to most closely mimic breastfeeding to reduce bottle rejection and nipple confusion issues
- Ultra wide-neck design allows easy cleaning by hand without a brush. Nipple and body is made of 100% safe hygienic silicone
- Safe in microwave, boiling water, dishwashers and sterilizers
Best for Reflux: Playtex Baby VentAire Bottle
Reflux can make your child completely miserable, which means air free baby bottles are a necessity. One of our favorite picks when it comes to the best bottles for babies with reflux is the Playtex Baby VentAire Bottle. This bottle has a very cool shape and design.
The ergonomic, angled shape of the bottle allows you to feed your baby in a slightly propped position. This helps reduce ear infections and is the position most recommended by pediatricians. The unique vented base helps to hold the air at the back of the bottle when your baby is drinking. The less air they ingest, the fewer gas bubbles in their digestive system. The wide Naturalatch nipple makes switching from bottle to breast painless, so this works well as a no gas bottle for breastfed baby’s.
- Ergonomic shape helps with reclined feeding
- Wide nipple mimic’s breastfeeding
- The vented base withholds air bubbles from baby
- Fewer parts for simple cleaning
- The design has cute colors and decorations
- Water gets trapped in the base
- Nipple prone to collapsing
- May leak overtime
- ANTI-COLIC DESIGN - VentAire bottles are specially designed to prevent colic by reducing air ingestion. The patented anti-colic bottom vent keeps air at the back of the bottle as baby drinks so no air mixes with the milk.
- ANGLED DESIGN - The bottle's ergonomic, angled design promotes semi-upright feeding which is recommended by pediatricians to help prevent ear infections.
- DOCTOR RECOMMENDED FEATURES - The bottom vent for air-free feeding and the angled design for more upright feeding are doctor recommended to help reduce reflux, colic, gas, burping and spit up.
Best for Formula-Fed Babies: NUK Simply Natural Baby Bottle
If you are searching for an anti colic bottle for your formula-fed baby, we love the NUK Simply Natural Baby Bottle. We think it’s one of the best bottles for formula fed babies because of its seamless design that makes mixing easy! There are very few parts to trap formula and to clean. The 1-piece anti-colic system reduces bubbles and cuts down on colic.
A soft silicone nipple feels very close to breastfeeding and helps even the youngest babies latch with ease. Three different flow rates are perfect for growing little ones. The plastic Tritan bottle is very durable as well as being odor and stain-resistant, so you can feel confident washing it in the dishwasher.
- Single piece vented system reduces air bubbles
- Flexible nipple helps with latch and suckling
- Soft-silicone nipple design mimics breastfeeding
- Easy to clean
- Strong plastic bottle resists odors and stains
- Some babies dislike nipple shape and texture
- Replacement nipples are costly
- Slow nipples aren’t slow enough for some newborns
- Multiple nipple holes provide a natural feed, just like mom's breast. Nipple comes with 3 to 9 holes, depending on flow rate. 5 oz bottle comes with slow flow nipple that has 3 holes.
- Advanced 1-piece Anti-Colic Air system helps reduce colic, gas and spit up
- Super soft silicone nipple is the same shape as mom's nursing nipple for a familiar fit. Flexible nipple moves with baby for a continuous latch
Best Premium: Evenflo Feeding Glass Premium Proflo Vented Plus Bottles
This glass colic bottle is a perfect choice for eco-conscious parents and is among the best bottles for colic. Evenflo Feeding Glass Premium Proflo Vented Plus Bottles are recyclable and sustainable, but still have Evenflo’s signature style and design. The single-piece venting system keeps air bubbles in the bottle and not in your child’s digestive system, helping to decrease colic and irritation. The classic Evenflo twist bottle texture is easy for babies learning how to self-feed to hold.
These bottles fit most pumping systems so you can pump directly into them, which means less cleanup. With only three parts, they are plenty easy to clean themselves! The nipples are available in three flow speeds, so you can continue to use these earth-friendly glass bottles throughout your baby’s bottle journey.
- BPA, polycarbonates, PVC, and phthalates free
- The glass bottle is long-lasting and durable
- Ergonomic shape is easy to hold
- A single-piece venting system reduces bubbles
- Three parts for effortless cleaning, assembly, and disassembly
- Long and narrow nipples are not great for every baby
- Caps are difficult to get on and off
- Narrow neck makes it hard to add formula
- MOTHER NATURE APPROVED - Being environmentally kind is important to all of us which is why the Evenflo Feeding tempered glass baby bottle is recyclable, sustainable and safe for the environment.
- EASY TO HOLD - Evenflo Feeding's classic and iconic shape now has a fun, ergonomic twist! These uniquely shaped vented glass baby bottles are incredibly easy to hold while feeding, ensuring both you and your little one are comfortable.
- PREMIUM VENTING - Evenflo Feeding's patented Proflo Venting Technology was developed to ensure milk bubbles stay in the bottle and not in your baby's tummy. This gentle, 1-piece venting system helps significantly reduce the potential for colic, reflux, gas, and fussiness, keeping your baby comfortable even after they are finished eating.
Best for Newborn: Nanobebe Breastmilk Baby Bottle
On the hunt for the best bottle for newborn with gas? Check out the Nanobebe Breastmilk Baby Bottle. It’s shaped to look like and feel like a breast, helping your child to feel more comfortable. The unique design lets it warm and cool 2x faster than other bottles. This is excellent for both feeding and storage.
As an all-in-one bottle, you can pump directly into the bottle with the adapter. Then, seal it for storage or add the nipple for feeding. It makes the whole process quick and simple. A 360 venting system combined with the slow-flow helps prevent colic and gas. It’s extremely convenient for parents and comfortable for newborns.
- Can pump into, feed, and store all with a single bottle
- 360 venting system reduces bubbles and colic
- The shape mimics breast so babies feel more at ease with the bottle
- Heats 2x faster than standard bottles
- Includes pump adapter
- Not great for semi-upright or inclined feeding
- Only comes with stage one nipples
- The bulky design makes storage difficult
- BREASTFEEDING BOTTLE: Baby instinctively connects to the bottle’s familiar shape, while 2x faster warming satisfies baby’s immediate hunger needs. Our award-winning baby bottles for breastfed babies encourage a smooth transition from breast to bottle (and back).
- NUTRIENTS PROTECTION: A breastmilk storage bottle that cools 2xs faster to reduce bacterial growth. Even warming prevents hot spots & Quick warming allows to use safe temperatures.
- ALL-IN-ONE FEEDING BOTTLE: The included breast pump adaptor means you can conveniently pump directly into your bottle, seal for perfect breast milk storage, warm, and feed all from one baby bottle. Easy to clean and assemble.
Best Slow Flow: Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature
Another product that truly impresses me is the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Baby Bottle. I think it is the ideal bottle for mommies who are converting from breastfeeding to bottle feeding.
Firstly, the silicone nipples are soft and elastic. It mimics the natural feel of the mother’s breast. Hence, making it easier for baby to adapt to bottle feeding routines.
Also, Tommee Tippee is on this list because it is one of the best bottles for gassy baby out there. If your son or daughter experience colic or indigestion problem, try this bottle.
The vented nipple does not only provide soft milk flow but also reduce the amount of air intake. Many users have attested that the valve works well!
- Ergonomic bottle design
- Various options of nipples for you to choose
- Efficient nipple venting system
- BPA- and phthalate-free
- Odd shape of bottle makes cleaning a challenge
- Nipples can collapse quickly
- Four 9-ounce baby bottles with Slow flow nipple (size 1), ideal for newborn babies and up
- Natural feel: super-sensitive bottle nipple flexes like mom, smooth silicone feels closer to skin
- Anti-colic: optimum venting anti-colic nipple valve for less air intake and less discomfort for baby
Best Ease of Cleaning: MAM Anti-Colic Bottle
MAM Anti-Colic Bottle is one of the best bottles for gassy babies, and many mothers out there can attest to this.
Why? Because hundreds of users have purchased it and most them (up to 74%) rated it as a five-star product! Do I need to say more?
One of the features that I find to be very helpful in solving feeding problems in babies is the highly efficient base venting system.
The vented base handles the flow of your son’s milk and prevents him from sucking the air.
It does not only help your kid to digest well but also prevent choking as there are fewer bubbles and foams in the bottle!
- Baby latches quickly with the round silicone nipples
- Microwave-friendly – easy to sterilize
- Easy to assemble and dissemble
- Parts are tight and secure
- Can leak sometimes
- Nipples can be quite hard for some babies
- ANTI-COLIC - Our vented base design releases liquid slowly, reducing colic symptoms in 80%* of babies by eliminating bubbles that cause gas and aggravate colic & reflux.
- BREASTFED BABIES - The elongated nipple shape of our anti colic baby bottles feels just like mom so parents and newborns can easily switch between breastfeeding and bottle feeding.
- EASY CLEAN - No need for a separate bottle sterilizer: MAM bottles self-sterilize in the microwave in 3 minutes, meaning fewer baby items to take on the go.
Best for Weaning Babies: Munchkin Latch
Another top bottle that has been the choice of many mothers out there is Munchkin Latch.
It has also become one of my favorites due to its high-quality materials, simple design, efficient venting system, and adaptability to breast pumps.
At the bottom of the bottle, there is a valve that prevents air from traveling to the top and into your baby’s tummy.
It functions by your child’s head movement, adjustable by the accordion-like nipples. It has a smart design, I must say.
Many people have tried this Munchkin Latch bottle for their babies who suffered gassy tummy, and they complimented how functional the valve is in eliminating air.
Now and then you can hear a ‘pop’ sound – the sound the air valve made while releasing the air.
- Well-made bottle and nipples
- Practical base venting design
- Mimics breastfeeding naturally
- Prevent gas ingestion well
- Low price below $10
- Replacing a new valve and nipple can be quite expensive over time
- Leaking is prone to happen
- BPA-free, easy-to-clean 4oz bottle with one ultra flexible silicone stage 1 (slow flow) nipple and one sealing disc
- Doctor recommended for healthy feeding and sleeping
- Preferred 2:1 over Dr. Brown’s
How to Choose the Best Bottle for Your Gassy Baby?
As parents, the last thing we want to happen to our small kids, especially newborns, is discomfort due to gas in their stomach.
Why? It will keep them (and us!) awake all night and gets cranky all day long. Before it hits your baby, you need to prevent it from happening in the first place – by using an anti-colic baby bottle!
There are some tips on how to choose the most efficient and the best bottle for a gassy baby that can burst air bubble and prevent tummy problems.
Anti-gas baby bottles can come in three different materials: glass, plastic, and stainless steel.
Plastic is the most common type and typically, cheaper. If you prefer plastic for you baby, make sure it is BPA-free.
The glass is a better option as it does not absorb odor. It is built to last but can be expensive to purchase. It is also better for your kid’s health compared to plastic.
Stainless steel is rare, but some mothers do prefer it as it keeps the drinks warm for a long time. But, you cannot see how much milk you have left in there since it is not transparent.
Bottles for gassy babies offer a unique venting design. There are three different venting configurations that you need to know: top-vented, straw-vented, and base-vented.
The top vented bottle has tiny holes in the nipple part. The holes allow air to pass through the cylinder. Hence, it prevents further air intake. But, it does not eliminate air 100% as you can still see the air bubbles and mixes with the milk.
The straw venting design makes use of the straw to create a pass-through for the air from the nipple to the bottom of the bottle. This way, it prevents any air bubbles from mixing with the milk.
The best design is the base venting. It uses a valve to draw air efficiently to the base of the bottle, and totally free the bottle from the air!
Types of Nipples
When buying the best bottle for your gassy baby, you should also consider the types of nipples included in the purchase.
For materials, there are two types for you to choose – latex and silicone. I prefer silicone compared to latex as it is firmer and last longer.
Plus, there are also different sizes of holes on the nipples. The small hole is suitable for your newborn as it lets a softer milk flow. He can’t swallow as much as other older babies!
You can then change the sizes or flow level as your son gets older and more aggressive in drinking.
You can also consider orthodontic nipple options. It is good for your baby’s gum and teeth.
Also, pay attention to the scale of the bottle when purchasing a new one for your kid. Your newborn might not need as much milk as your two-year-old toddler.
Make sure to check the age and milk diet specification on the packaging. There are two general sizes – small (4 to 5 ounces) and large (8 to 10 ounces).
As a guideline, I have prepared for you the general diet recommendations for several baby ages:
- Newborn – 2 to 3 ounces
- Three months – 4 to 6 ounces
- Six months – 6 to 8 ounces
Also, if you feed your son or daughter with breast’s milk, make sure the bottle suits well to the breast pump you are currently using.
Ease of Cleaning
Plus, you should also consider the ease of cleaning of the bottle. It should not be too complicated to clean.
However, for vented-bottle, you should be ready to invest a relatively longer time to clean and get to the vent area compared to a regular bottle.
Nevertheless, no need to fret. These days, you can easily find anti-colic bottles with dishwasher-friendly feature – it makes your cleaning job much easier!
Ease of Use
Sometimes we, the mothers, can get too excited about the design of the bottle.
But, the beauty part of the container should not be the priority. Instead, consider the ease of use.
Whenever I choose a baby bottle, I like the one with a firm and ergonomic body design. It does not only make it easy for me to hold it but also for my baby to grip the bottle as he feeds himself. It also have to fit nicely into bottle warmer.
You may be interested in: how many baby bottles do I need?
Say Bye to Colic with the Perfect Bottle
It seems like everyone has an opinion when it comes to the best anti colic bottles. However, every baby is different and what works for one may not work for another. You may need to try a variety of bottles to find your pick of the best baby bottles for gas and colic.
Our choice for best overall, if you want to start by trying it, is Philips Avent Anti-Colic Baby Bottles. Its venting system in the nipple reduces air bubbles and gas. Having it integrated directly into the nipple means there are only four parts to clean! This bottle is durable, comfortable to hold, and works with a variety of accessories. It’s a convenient way to reduce colic for your little one!
Last update on 2021-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API