If you have been shopping for a car seat, you have most likely come across the Britax brand. It is a reputable company that offers car seats for all ages. However, given all the options, it is difficult to choose just one overall best Britax car seat. So, I narrowed it down to 3.
- Britax B-Safe Ultra Infant Car Seat – this improved version of the B-Safe 35 is cozy and much safer.
- Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat – it offers great transitional value and is packed with safety and easy-install features.
- Britax One4Life ClickTight All-In-One Car Seat – this convertible car seat will see you through all child development milestones.
Britax manufactures rear-facing, front-facing, and convertible car seats. The firm has been in the business for 7 decades and you can tell from the quality of their products that experience has helped hone their craft.
That said, in my opinion, there isn’t a car seat that works for every parent and child. All our needs and preferences differ and so I encourage you to weigh your options and see what works best for you and yours.
I would recommend Britax if you would like an affordable brand of car seats that does not compromise on quality or safety. I also find the Britax car seat weight limit provisions quite accommodative. They range to about 35 pounds for infant seats while most brands cap it at 32 pounds or lower.
On safety, I am quite impressed that some Britax car seats have an anti-rebound bar as it offers extra safety during crashes. Better yet, you would not have to pay a premium for it. The easy-install features are also a plus for me because I do not believe that installing a car seat should require body-builder muscles or an engineering degree.
The features of a car seat are a great eye-opener in establishing which type and model would suit your needs. To help you with that, here is a brief list of factors that you may want to consider as you explore Britax car seat options.
Child safety experts and regulatory bodies recommend that you have your child in a rear-facing car seat from birth until the age of 2. Front-facing car seats, on the other hand, are recommended for slightly older and heavier children. It would serve you until they are about 5 when they are a bit heavier and much taller. At which point, a booster car seat would be the next best solution.
The weight and height limits of a car seat indicate the range at which a car seat can safely and comfortably accommodate your child. It is a crucial detail because the car seat’s safety performance is tested only within those limits.
This means that a 32lbs-limit car seat would not protect a 35lbs baby as it should. The excess weight would not allow it to function optimally. This applies to height as well.
Always ensure that your little one is within the stipulated weight and height of the car seat you buy.
All Britax car seats can be installed using the LATCH system. As such, if your car model was manufactured after September 2002, it would be compatible with car seats from this brand.
On seat belts, some Britax car seats have the European seat belt guide path while others do not. If you prefer it, confirm that your chosen car seat has it.
It is advisable to choose a car seat that is draped in breathable fabrics that wick off moisture. They keep your tot’s skin dry and safe from heat rash. Fire-retardant-free fabrics and hypoallergenic ones are equally a healthier choice.
Hygiene is essential in childcare and so an easy-to-clean car seat is indispensable. Fortunately, all Britax car seat covers can be removed for a quick wash or wiped-down on the go.
Britax Car Seat Comparison
As you try to decide which Britax car seat is best for your child, here is an elaborate comparison of the features, pros, and cons of different seats in different categories.
The Britax B-Safe 35 Infant Car Seat is recommended for babies that weigh 4-35lbs and measure up to 32″ in height. It is a rear-facing car seat that is easy to install using the Britax seat belt lock-offs and Safe Centre LATCH tightener.
On safety, it has a 4-point harness, a steel frame, and side-impact protection. It is compatible with Britax strollers like the Be Agile, Be Free, or Be Mobile models that have the Click and Go technology. To pair it with any other Britax strollers you would require adapters that are sold separately.
Check out our in-depth review of the car seat here.
Recommendation: For parents of infants looking for a dependable entry-level Britax car seat.
- Easy to install
- The relax and recline feature helps in finding the best installation angle for each car
- FAA approved
- Breathable mesh fabric
- It comes with removable head and shoulder pads for extra comfort and support
- Relatively heavy
- It has no European seat belt path
- Surrounded in safety: a layer of side impact protection, steel frame, and impact absorbing base
- Easy installation: use safe center latch or built in seat belt lock offs to secure the infant car seat
- Relax & recline: spring assisted recline and indicators ensure the best vehicle installation angle
The Britax B-Safe Endeavours infant car seat is a rear-facing car seat for children weighing 4 to 35 pounds and 32″ tall. It can be installed using the LATCH system or the European belt path.
I am particularly impressed by its safety provisions which include 2-layers of side-impact protection, a no-rethread harness, a steel frame, and an anti-rebound bar. Further, for your baby’s absolute comfort, this seat comes with a flip-forward belly pad as well as a body pillow and shoulder pads.
It costs about $100 more than the B-safe 35 but its features justify its higher price for me.
Recommendation: Safest Britax car seat without base for infants to travel with.
- Multiple safety features
- Easy to install
- No-rethread harness and adjustable buckle
- Moisture-wicking mesh fabric
- Stable even when installed without its base
- Can be rather heavy for everyday on-the-go use
- Poor label placement on the backrest of the seat can be uncomfortable
- Britax USA USA safety: high-strength steel frame and Crumple zone help keep your baby safe; 2 layers of side impact protection
- Anti-rebound Bar: steel, padded bar helps reduce movement during a crash
- Cool n dry mesh fabric: improves air flow for a cooler ride; wicks away moisture to help keep your child dry
This too is a rear-facing infant car seat that will keep your baby cozy when they are between 4-35 pounds and up to 32″ tall. It is an upgrade of the entry-level B-Safe 35 and costs about $40 more. For this extra sum, your little one will get to enjoy extra features such as a body pillow, shoulder, and Flip-Forward belly pads.
This Britax safe cell car seat provides 2 layers of Side-impact protection and a European belt guide option. I feel that the design team also worked to make the Britax B-Safe Ultra convenient for parents. Its ergonomic handle, easy installation, and no-rethread harness could make your overall handling of the seat much easier.
Recommendation: best value for money in that it offers most of the high-end safety features at a reasonable price.
- Easily removable covers for cleaning
- Comfortable well-padded seat
- Easy to install and handle
- More lightweight than other Britax infant car seats
- V-shaped tether ensures car seat stability alongside multiple other safety features
- Has no anti-rebound bar
- Gets heavier if you handle it with base
- Surrounded in safety: 2 layers of side impact protection, quick adjust head protection, steel frame, and impact absorbing base
- Rideshare Ready: European Belt Guide allows for installation without the base as needed
- Easy installation: Use Safe Center Latch or built in seat belt lock offs to secure the infant car seat
The Britax B-Safe Gen2 is a new addition to the range of Britax infant car seats and is set to replace the B-Safe 35. In its design, the firm has addressed design issues like the uncomfortable tag on the backrest.
The fabric too has been improved to a smooth feeling knit and can be safely removed and machine-washed without shrinking. The installation process remains a breeze but you may notice extra safety features like more padding for impact protection. Better yet, these improved features come at the same entry-level price as the B-Safe 35.
Recommendation: best entry-level Britax newborn car seat.
- The seat is more comfortable
- Easier to clean
- Extra safety features
- Value for money
- Breathable, naturally flame retardant seat fabric
- It is more on the heavier side
- Has no head or neck support cushions
- Looking for B-Safe 35? B-Safe Gen2 is the next generation of Britax infant car seats, made with a spacious seating area and tagless smooth-touch knit fabric; Fits babies 4 – 35 lbs & up to 32" in height
- BRITAX SAFETY: Sturdy build with a high-strength steel reinforced base and SafeCell crumple zone; protective shell with foam provides head-to-toe safety
- INSTALL WITH CONFIDENCE: 3 easy steps with SafeCenter LATCH: connect lower anchors, pull straps to tighten, click carrier into base
BEST BRITAX CONVERTIBLE CAR SEAT
The Britax Allegiance 3-stage convertible car seat can be used as both a rear-facing and a front-facing car seat. You would ideally begin in the rear-facing mode for weights between 5-40 pounds. The front-facing mode is recommended for babies between 20-65 pounds and up to 49″ of height.
Unfortunately, this seat model does not have some of the easy installation features you would expect like the SafeCentre LATCH. it does, however, have a V-shaped tether for stability and multiple recline positions. Its body is made of an impact-absorbing steel frame and it provides a single layer of side impact protection.
Recommendation: it is an ideal choice if you want a cheap Britax car seat that you can use long term.
- Offers long term utility
- Covers are easily removable for cleaning
- Push-button LATCH connectors
- Comes with body pillows
- The seat can be reclined for comfort
- Lacks easy-installation features
- Has fewer safety features
- Easy installation: push button latch connectors and built in lock offs make car seat installation a breeze
- No rethreading, ever: quick adjust 10 position harness (8.5 to 17.5 inches) with headrest grows along with your child
- Easy clean up: remove the car seat cover without removing the harness
This is equally a Britax combination car seat that you can use in rear and front-facing positions. It has weight limits of 5-40lbs and 20-65lbs in the rear and front-facing modes respectively while the maximum height allowable is 49″. The expiry term is also quite generous with an outstanding 10-year service period.
The Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible car seat can be reclined in 7 different positions and has a quick-adjust harness. Both these features could make it easy to keep your baby comfortable during drives.
Recommendation: I would invest in this car seat if I needed one that I can use for my child and her siblings to come. It is that long-term.
- Offers a decade of service
- The seat is well-padded and adjustable for comfort
- Remains stable throughout your drives
- FAA approved
- Provides safe cell impact protection
- It is quite heavy
- The covers are not machine-washable
- Easy installation: Patented click tight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- No rethreading, ever: 14 position harness, 2 position buckle for a comfortable Fit as your child grows
- Relax and recline: 7 recline positions ensure comfort and the best vehicle installation angle
Your child would be safe in the Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible car seat from the weights of 5 to 65 pounds. It can be used in the rear-facing position and transitioned to front-facing when they weigh more than 20 pounds. This model will also serve you for an entire decade if you give it some TLC.
I prefer this car seat to the Britax Marathon because it offers more safety provisions. It provides 2-layer side impact protection, a click and safe snug harness, and dependable stability. The feel of the ‘Cool N Dry’ fabric is also smooth and tellingly comfortable.
Recommendation: The Britax Boulevard’s harness is among the easiest to secure tightly yet comfortable.
- Easy to install with push dials and ClickTight technology
- Breathable moisture-wicking fabric
- Safe and stable car seat build
- Easily adjustable harness and seat positions
- Overall comfortable car seat
- The covers are removable but can only be hand washed
- The weight of the car seat would make it difficult for travel use or daily movement
- Easy installation: Patented click tight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- No rethreading, ever: Quick adjust 14 position harness with click and safe, snug indicator gives a click sound when the harness is tight
- Adjust accurately: Harness indicator gives an audible click when you’ve pulled to the proper tightness
This Britax 3 in 1 car seat could see you through multiple phases. It can be used as a rear and front-facing car seat and later as a booster seat. For each of these phases, the recommended weight limits are 5-50lbs, 20-65lbs, and 40-120 lbs respectively. The maximum height is capped at 63″ and you can use it for up to 10 years from the date of manufacturing.
The fabric on the Britax One4Life ClickTight All-in-one stands out for me. It is soft, durable, and easy to clean which I find essential for such a long-term-use car seat. The seat is well-padded, can be reclined in 9 positions, and has 2-layer impact protection.
Recommendation: This is a great one-off buy type of car seat that you can use until your child is fully grown to sit on their own.
- Provides multiple forms of utility
- Offers long term service
- Remains stable once installed despite its weight
- The seat fabric is comfortable and easy to maintain
- The ClickTight Installation is easy
- Heavyweight design
- The adjustment steal can be a bit tough to fasten
- 10 years of use: New one4life convertible to booster car seat grows with your child from 5 to 120 pounds & up to 63 inch tall
- Install confidently: With ClickTight installation, you'll know it's right in 3 easy steps
- One4life: Converts from rear facing infant car seat, to forward facing 5 point harness, to high back belt positioning booster
BEST BRITAX BOOSTER CAR SEAT
The Britax Grow With You ClickTight Harness-2-Booster Car Seat is a great long-term parenting companion. It is an improved version of the previous Britax Frontier.
It can be used in harness mode for weights between 25-65lbs and in booster mode for 40-120lbs. The recommended heights for both phases are 34″-49″ and 44″-63″ respectively.
This would be my pick for a Britax car seat for a 2-year old and the ages above that. Not sure if this is better over its contender, the Graco Nautilus? Our Britax Frontier vs Graco Nautilus review covers that.
Recommendation: Great go-to Britax car seat for toddlers when transitioning from a rear-facing seat.
- Value for money
- Easy to install
- Comfortable seat with supportive padding
- Offers long term utility
- Has cup-holder that are easy to clean
- The seat fabric can only be hand washed and air dried
- Has small components that can be choking health hazards
- TRUSTED QUALITY, UPDGRADED DESIGN: Looking for Frontier? Grow with you ClickTight is our newest harness to booster car seat
- PREMIUM, SOFT TOUCH FABRIC: 4-way stretch athleisure fabric combines style and function for a modern look that’s easy to clean
- 2 in 1 BOOSTER SEAT: Easily transitions from forward facing harness mode to belt positioning booster mode as your child grows from toddler to big kid
This model is an improved version of the Britax Pinnacle. It is a front-facing car seat that should be used in harness mode for kids weighing 25-65lbs and measuring 34″-49″. Beyond these limits, you can advance to booster mode that accommodates 40-120lbs and 44-63 inches.
The steel frame body of the Britax Grow With You ClickTight Plus Harness-2-Booster Car Seat offers 3-layer side impact protection. This is quite significant and would give me great peace of mind especially where long-distance travel is concerned.
Recommendation: I would consider this Britax booster seat if I traveled often and wanted my child comfortable throughout the trip.
- High-grade impact protection
- Easy to install
- Child-friendly strap-in system
- Has cup holders
- Stable and durable build
- The headrest could be better
- The fabric is okay but not great
- Trusted quality, upgraded design: Looking for pinnacle? Grow with you ClickTight plus is our newest harness to booster car seat
- Install confidently: With ClickTight, you know it’s right in just 3 easy steps. Open, thread & buckle, close
- 2 in 1 booster seat: Easily transitions from forward facing harness mode to belt positioning booster mode as your child grows from toddler to big kid
The Britax Skyline 2-Stage Belt-Positioning Booster Seat can be used as a front-facing seat and later as a backless booster seat. It is designed for kids who are up to 63″ tall and weigh 40-120 pounds. The minimum weight on this is a bit higher but could still work if you are transitioning from a rear-facing seat.
Recommendation: Cheapest 2-in-1 Britax Seat.
- Comfortable foam padded seat
- Value for money pricing
- Easy-to-clean cup holders
- Color-coded belt guides
- Adjustable headrest
- The fabric could be better
- Has small components that could be choking hazards
- 2-in-1: The skyline belt positioning high back booster car seat easily coverts to a backless booster to keep your child safer, longer
- Fit: 40 to 120 pounds and up to 63 inch height
- Big kid comfort: Plush, foam padding and built in arm rests
This Britax forward-facing car seat is designed for ultimate comfort with plush cushioning and ventilated mesh fabric. It has 3-layers of side impact protection and a cozy flat-lined headrest.
It is ideal for weights ranging between 40-120 pounds and a maximum child height of 63″. Moreover, it works as a front-facing seat and can be converted to a backless booster as well.
Installing the Britax Highpoint 2-Stage Belt-Positioning Booster is easy with a color-coded belt system and an added secure guard clip that keeps the seat belt in place. The covers are removable and can only be hand washed and air-dried.
Recommendation: Most comfortable big kid Britax car seat at an affordable price.
- Quick and easy installation features
- Comfortable seat structure
- Has dishwasher-safe holders
- Secure guard clip keeps seat belt well-positioned
- Color-coded belt guides make it easy for kids to learn to strap in
- The color palette in product descriptions is not accurate
- The fabric challenge persists with handwashing being the only choice
- 2-in-1: The highpoint belt-positioning high back booster car seat easily coverts to a backless booster to keep your child safer, longer
- Cool ride: Cool flow ventilated mesh fabric and plush foam padding create a cool, comfortable ride for your big kid
- Fit: 40 - 120 pounds and up to 63" height
Why are Britax Car Seats so expensive?
The cost of most car seats is based on how much it costs to produce and test them. Britax car seats, in particular, are laden with safety features and made using quality inputs.
They are also tested extensively to ensure they offer dependable protection. These are some of the factors that contribute to their higher price range.
Is Britax better than Graco or Maxi Cosi?
I would say that they are comparable. Where a Britax car seat falls short, you will likely find a Graco or Maxi Cosi alternative that has the feature you are looking for.
Additionally, all 3 brands offer a wide variety of car seats including all-in-one and convertible designs. However, on safety features, I find that Britax outpaces Graco and Maxi Cosi.
How long is a Britax car seat valid for?
A Britax car seat is valid for 6 to 10 years from its date of manufacturing depending on the model. The company is also known to be rigorous about testing their seats and can recall any seat model that they find to be inadequate in its performance. This is, however, very rare.
Is the Britax Marathon or Britax Boulevard better?
There isn’t a one-fits-all answer here, rather, I would say it depends on what you need from a car seat. For instance, the Britax Boulevard car seats have the ‘Click safe and snug harness’ feature while the Marathon models do not.
If you prefer a car seat where you can easily tighten the harness, then the Boulevard models would be a better fit for you. I recommend comparing your requirements against what each range has to offer.
Do Britax car seats have cup holders?
Yes, you will find cupholders on Britax front-facing, booster, and convertible car seats.
Are all Britax Car seats FAA approved?
No, not all of them are approved but a good number of them are. The FAA-approved Britax car seats include Allegiance, Emblem, Grow With You, and Pinnacle models.
If you are ever in doubt as to whether a seat is approved, check the user instructions along the sides of the seat for the FAA approval mark before taking the car seat along for travel.
The upside of having so many options is that there is something for everyone. I would suggest making a shortlist of your needs as well as the height and weight of your child to compare against the parameters of various Britax car seats.
So, to crown it all, which is the best Britax car seat? If I had to choose just one, I would recommend the Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat. It, in my opinion, delivers a great balance of safety, ease of use, as well as both transitional and monetary value.
If this sounds like what you are looking for, you can check it out here.
Have something to share about Britax car seats? Pen them down in the comments!
Last update on 2021-04-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API