Double strollers are invaluable when it comes to family travel.
If you are cruising through your city or visiting a new destination, you will probably want your two kids close, safe, and accounted for. They are a great way to keep an eye on them while providing them with a comfortable space to rest their tired legs.
Knowing it can be a struggle to pick an ideal double stroller for trips, we have lined up a handful of the best double stroller for travel options for you.
With a total of ten models to choose from in our list, there may be something for everyone. Read on to find your perfect pairing.
- The Value in a Double Stroller for Traveling
- Can I Bring Double Strollers onto Airplane?
- Top Ten Traveling Double Strollers
- #1 Joovy Caboose Ultralight Graphite Stroller
- #2 Mountain Buggy Nano Duo Buggy
- #3 Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller
- #4 Summer 3Dpac CS+ Double Stroller
- #5 The Twin+ Luxe (Zoe XL2)
- #6 Delta Children LX Side by Side Tandem Umbrella Stroller
- #7 Jeep Scout Double Stroller
- #8 Evenflo Minno Twin Double Stroller
- #9 Maclaren Twin Triumph Stroller
- #10 Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Double Stroller
- How to Choose the Best Double Stroller for Travel?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Verdict
It can be nerve-wracking traveling as a parent. You are visiting a new place where you don’t know the layout, the community, or anything beyond what you read online.
This is a time when you will probably want your two children close at hand. Times like this is when a lightweight double or umbrella stroller comes into play. Having the best stroller can be a perfect solution to free up your hands while keeping your little ones close by – killing two birds with one stone!
Also, when you travel you probably plan on doing a lot of walking. Even though little kids say that they are now old enough to do their own walking and won’t need the stroller, truth is, tiny legs get tired easily.
A light double stroller for travel with superior weight limit is the ideal answer for them to take a rest while you continue exploring. They’re also a great way to haul around all of your necessities and belongings!
Can I Bring Double Strollers onto Airplane?
With a stroller so large, you may wonder if a double stroller can follow you on your travels, especially if you are traveling by air. Though all airlines tend to have different rules for travel strollers, it is likely that you will be allowed to check your double, and even most types of stroller. 
Most sizeable stroller types such as double jogging strollers and triple strollers are too big to carry on and be stored overhead. However, that is not the case if your lightweight and compact stroller is small enough to fit in the compartment!
Thankfully, many airlines will allow you to use your travel strollers until the gate check and then tag it as checked luggage. After all, double strollers are travel essentials for two babies or twins! Fret not! We will review the best double stroller for plane travel soon!
Top Ten Traveling Double Strollers
#1 Joovy Caboose Ultralight Graphite Stroller
Up first is the Joovy Caboose Ultralight Graphite Stroller. This is a great option if you are searching for a double stroller lightweight travel.
Considered as the lightest tandem stroller on the market, it is known to be a super compact double stroller that is ultra-light and provides hassle-free maneuverability.
The spacious child seat is safe, cozy, and even includes a tray with a cupholder. The rear bench seat is equally as comfortable. It also has a three-point safety harness to keep your child secure. Both the stroller organizer and the lower storage basket are soft and collapsible.
Among all the tandem strollers available, you will be shocked at this compact double stroller when you fold it up neatly into a small size. Perfect for stashing it in trunks while on the go.
- Superior maneuverability similar to that of a single stroller
- Large canopy covers back and front seat
- Can connect car seat with adapters
- Weighs only 22 pounds
- Automatic lock when folded
- Cannot recline child seat when bench seat is in use
- Difficult to get items in and out of the basket
- Rear seat attachments for children under two and a half years old sold separately
- The lightest weight, most compact, and maneuverable double stroller available allows your older child to sit and stand on the rear platform or bench seat. 22 pounds
- Includes parent organizer and a universal car seat adapter that fits most major brands. Check the Joovy website for the most recent list. Never allow a rear seated child to use the canopy as a hand hold
- New rear seat canopy extension protects the rear seated child. Also compatible with the Caboose Rear Seat that adds a full size, forward facing rear seat (if your older child is still too young to stand)
#2 Mountain Buggy Nano Duo Buggy
Nano is the perfect name for this double stroller for lightweight travel. The Mountain Buggy Nano Duo Buggy is small, yet still spacious enough for two kids.
Its very narrow frame is ideal for both pushing and carrying. At just twenty pounds either activity is effortless. You will be surprised to learn that with adapters you can make this a double stroller for newborn baby and a toddler as it accepts many different car seats.
Toddlers will enjoy the extra-tall seat that reclines way back for afternoon naps. The adjustable canopies with flick-out visors shield them even while they relax back.
Adjustable leg rests and a huge lower baby gear tray round out this stroller’s excellent features.
- Great weight distribution for pushing over uneven terrain
- Connects with a car seat or cocoon bassinet for baby and a toddler
- Convenient fold makes it easy to compress into easy-to-carry locked position
- Puncture-proof swivel wheels
- The folding process can be tricky
- Siblings seated very close together
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT! Just a 20lbs double stroller to make pushing two that much easier!
- ULTRA COMPACT FOLD! No double folds smaller! Perfect for travel and quick errands around town!
- NEWBORN SOLUTIONS FOR ONE OR TWO! Compatible with the additional cocoon accessory for lightweight newborn comfort
#3 Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller
Searching for the best double stroller for airport travel that is also the best value? Check out the Baby Trend Sit n Stand stroller.
For an affordable price, you get a supremely safe, comfortable, and lightweight stroller. Many of its features are designed for ease of use while traveling with older children.
The padded child seats have swing-away trays with two cup holders that can be completely removed to cut down on size and weight. Parents love how the rear seat can easily convert from a second child seat to a sit or stand rear standing platform.
Additionally, this model accepts two infant car seats that can be used from birth until your little ones no longer need them. This sit and stand stroller can be folded down with easy one hand mechanism. In one swift motion, you can be on your way in seconds.
- Available in 7 color options
- Child tray has two cup holders
- The parent tray comes with two drink holders
- Near flat easy fold
- Removable rear seat converts to sit-and-stand
- Standing platform of the sit-and-stand stroller mechanism allows older children the freedom to either sit or stand
- Must face wheels straight to fold
- No footrest
- Children can sit in the front and rear seats of this stroller or stand on the rear platform
- Removable rear seat converts stroller to traditional Sit N Stand
- One hand fold is fast and easy to use
#4 Summer 3Dpac CS+ Double Stroller
The Summer 3Dpac CS+ is not your typical old-school stroller on the market. Despite that, it is still one of the best double umbrella stroller picks to date with a few upgrades that make it stand out and deserve a spot on this list!
Padded seats with leg support, deep canopies, an adjustable footrest, and car seat compatibility make this an awesome luxury style umbrella stroller. The side by side option gives both children a supreme view of their surroundings.
In addition to these great features, the stroller also includes two large storage baskets, canopies with peek-a-boo windows and flip-out sun visors, and a parent organizer replete with cupholders. Despite all of these features it still only weighs 23 pounds!
- Car seat compatibility
- Compact fold with auto-lock mechanism
- Includes carry strap
- Parent organizer with storage pouches and glass holders
- Canopies include peek-a-boo windows and flip-out sun visors
- Wide, may take up a lot of space in standard doorways
- Difficult to recline stroller seats
- LIGHTWEIGHT, COMPACT DESIGN – A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier! The Summer 3Dpac CS+ Double Stroller has a lightweight frame (just 23 lbs.) for quick pick up and go. Plus, an easy compact fold with auto lock and carry strap.
- CAR SEAT COMPATIBLE – Use your favorite car seat with this baby stroller with no adapter needed! Compatible with Graco SungRide Click Connect, Chicco KeyFit 30, Chicco Fit2 and Baby Trend Secure Snap Gear 35 Only. Only 1 car seat can be used at a time. No snack tray
- MULTI-POSITION RECLINE - Keep your little ones comfortable with the multi-position seat recline & leg rests. Plus, the adjustable extra-large canopies have a flip out sun visor & peekaboo window. Maximum weight for this double stroller: 50 lbs per seat.
#5 The Twin+ Luxe (Zoe XL2)
The Twin+ Luxe takes the cake when it comes to luxury on the go. Though it may be an investment, this 19.5-pound compact double stroller really packs in the features. While it is a double it can be turned into a triple or quad to accommodate your expanding family.
The side by side child seats are very spacious. Made of moisture-wicking UPF 50+ fabric your child will be cool and comfortable even without the huge canopies extended. A footrest, leg support, cupholders, and child trays ensure a smooth ride.
Not to mention it is also Disney approved as one of the best Disney strollers for doubles that is easy to fold and compact enough for a taxi, train, bus, or plane.
- Moisture-wicking UPF 50+ fabrics
- Disney approved
- Tall handle
- Expands to triple or quad
- Weighs less than 20 lbs
- Seat backs are short
- HIGH-END FEATURES – With ultra-luxury fabric, leatherette handles, ball bearing wheels, and a moisture-wicking UPF 50+ canopy, the Zoe Twin+ is the ultimate no-bulk side-by-side double stroller for on-the-go parents.
- LIGHTWEIGHT – Disney approved, weighs only 19.5lbs and comes with cup-holders, a double belly bar, and removable strap covers.
- EXPANDABLE – This stroller can grow as your family grows thanks to its patented tandem design, which expands to a double, triple, or even a quad (!) with add-on seats (sold separately).
#6 Delta Children LX Side by Side Tandem Umbrella Stroller
The Delta Children LX Side by Side Tandem Umbrella Stroller is the top pick for the best double umbrella stroller for travel and the most affordable.
It has a narrow footprint, a compact fold, and the most featherweight frame. Ideal for traveling with children who will frequently want to hop in and out of the child seats.
Each toddler seat has a padded five-point safety harness in addition to an adequately sized canopy and a footrest. The 360-degree shock-absorbing wheels are perfect for navigating uneven terrain while keeping the ride smooth.
Two stroller storage bags, a parent drink holder, and ergonomically designed handles round out the parent features. Weighing just over 18 pounds and being Disney sized approved, parents love how effortless it is to take this stroller along with you.
- Weighs just over 18 pounds
- Available in four color options
- Includes removable parent glass holder
- Shock absorbing 360 swivel wheels
- Disney size approved
- Does not accept an infant car seat
- No lower storage basket
- Recommend for children up to 35 pounds; Large European style canopy; Two storage bags and parent cup holder with two attachment points; Meets Disney size requirements
- Five point safety harness; 360 Degree swivel shock absorbing front wheels
- Lightweight frame; Compact umbrella fold for easy storage and travel
#7 Jeep Scout Double Stroller
When it comes to delta double strollers, the Jeep Scout is one of their most-travel friendly and arguably, the best lightweight double stroller.
Small and light, it fits through almost any standard doorway. This makes navigating new cities or busy streets a breeze. You don’t have to worry about your belongings being out in plain sight, the rear canopy bags hold everything securely inside.
Children can travel in comfort with reclining seats, lower leg supports, and extendable canopies. Little additions, like strap shoulder pads and reflective material, make this stroller extra safe and cozy.
A host of swiveling wheels with an included suspension system makes pushing this stroller a walk in the park as though you are using a single stroller!
- Removable cup holder
- Available in multiple colors
- Disney-sized approved
- Rear canopy bags conceal items
- One of the lightest double stroller picks on the market
- Drink holder prone to falling off
- Children with longer legs may be able to touch and stop wheels
- Extendable canopies with sun visors; 5 point safety harness with soft shoulder pads and reflective material that ensures you and your children can be seen at night; Meets Disney size requirements
- Multi position reclining seat Parent cup holder
- Abundant storage includes double rear canopy bags 5.5 Inches wheels with front swivel and suspension system
#8 Evenflo Minno Twin Double Stroller
Need to take a double stroller for lightweight travel? Consider bringing along the Evenflo Minno Twin. It’s twenty-seven inches wide, fitting through most standard thirty-inch doorways.
It is also only twenty-six pounds, making it simple to carry and push. The single-handed, self-standing easy fold is excellent for when you need to board the bus or the plane. Then, when your two kids have to ride they can enjoy the canopied, cushioned seats.
The toddler seats include a multi-position recline and two-position lower leg support for superior comfort. Parents will delight in the soft, flexible cup holder, large lower baskets that can store tons of stroller accessories, and ergonomic angled handles.
- Front-wheel suspension
- Locking swivel wheels
- Padded, adjustable seats
- Easy to clean fabrics
- Unimpressive stroller weight limit which only accommodates children up to 45lbs per seat
- Canopies are a bit shallow
- Compact Fold: Release foot pedal, grab handle and pull up to close with 1 hand - self-standing so no need for parent to bend over
#9 Maclaren Twin Triumph Stroller
The Maclaren Twin Triumph Stroller is a fancy umbrella stroller that is perfect for children six months and up. It can hold a shocking 110lbs! The stroller itself only weighs 21 pounds.
Two spacious child seats have high backs and leg support cushions so no matter how big your little one is they won’t feel squished. Waterproof UPF 50+ sun canopies with flip out visors will be greatly appreciated when visiting sunny destinations.
This rugged twin stroller also includes a wind-resistant rain cover because you never know what type of weather you may encounter when traveling.
- Storage pockets plus a large storage basket underneath
- Child seats recline with leg support cushions
- Includes wind-resistant rain-cover
- Canopies are waterproof
- Only for 6 months and up
- The rear center wheel can impede stride
- LIGHTWEIGHT STROLLER - With a basic weight of 23.15lb/10.5kg, multiple position seat, water resistant and extentable UPF 50+ hood and all wheels suspension
- TWINS AND DIFFERENT AGES - This from 6 months stroller allows to adjust independently the hood and the seat for babies from different ages
- EASY TO MANOUEVER - With its 78cms width this buggy fits through standard doors 80cms
#10 Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Double Stroller
Just because travel double strollers are designed to be ultralight strollers doesn’t mean they can’t be comfortable. The Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight is proof!
It includes a child snack tray and cup holder for each kid. The huge three-tiered canopy provides excellent sun protection. Parents will love the peek-a-boo window that lets them check in on their kiddos.
If the trip gets tiring, the reclining seat of this double stroller for travel lets your little one lay back. A five-point safety harness keeps them secure no matter their position.
Parents can keep their necessities at hand thanks to the parent tray with dual drink holders and the lower large storage baskets. If you’re looking for super lightweight double strollers or a comfy double umbrella stroller, this is it!
- Padded seats recline comfortably
- Parent tray and glass holder + kids trays and cup holders
- Self-standing fold
- Two easy-access large storage baskets
- Good weight limit for its compact size
- Wheel pins prone to coming loose
- Bulky even as a folded stroller
- ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT -- Travel-friendly lightweight design (only 23 lbs) is perfect for traveling and day trips. The width of this stroller fully assembled is 31 inches which should allow this stroller to roll through any standard door smoothly.
- LARGE CANOPY -- Three-tier, extended canopy for maximum UV protection and coverage. A peek-a-boo window so you can easily keep a watchful eye on your baby.
- RECLINING SEAT -- Reclining seat offers 5-point safety restraint system and accommodates child to 40 pounds per seat. (80 lbs total) Seat does not recline completely flat. Seat Width - 12.5 Inch.
When you are shopping around for travel double strollers, be sure to follow the ultimate double stroller purchase guide and consider the following!
- Travel friendly in size & weight?
While it is true that most airlines will check your double stroller, some can be more airplane friendly than others. Keep in mind that bulky and heavy models aren’t great for airplanes. Additionally, these strollers may not be well suited to travel either.
Lightweight strollers with compact profiles are best. As a rule of thumb, aim to go for those with lower item weight, higher weight limit and can fit through most standard doorways!
To make your trip with your baby smoother, here are some traveling with stroller tips:
- Wheels, suspension system, maneuverability, folding mechanism?
Another part of being travel and airplane friendly is the folding mechanism. You want it to be easy to use and able to quickly collapse your when not needed when picking the best double stroller for air travel.
Some have near flat folds while others just collapse into a smaller shape. Other great folding features are a self-standing fold and an automatic locking system when folded.
Traveling families will also want a stroller that handles well on all types of terrain, particularly rough terrains. Look for durable wheels with an incorporated suspension system designed for maneuverability.
Both 3 wheel strollers or all-terrain strollers make a great choice as your travel companion thanks to their superior maneuverability, but once again, you will have to keep an eye out on other factors such as item weight, weight limit and accessibility.
- Storage space?
Storage is one of the important components of being airplane and travel friendly. You want the stroller to be able to store many baby items like bottles, diapers, wet wipes and more as you are on the go. At the same time, it’s also a huge bonus if you have an easy access to a large storage basket.
Of course, safety is paramount. Be sure to check the stroller for harnesses, stability, and durable frames and wheels. You may want to look for models with built-in 5-point safety harnesses that are deemed the safest for your little ones. 
The 3-point options are also viable but I personally prefer 5-points to have better peace of mind!
- Travel system compatible?
If you have young children it may be helpful to get your hands on the best double strollers for travel model that are travel system compatible. This way you can simply connect their infant car seat and be on your way. This is ideal for getting out of a busy airport or even jumping out of a taxi.
The Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 is one example that doesn’t only make a bonus great option as a twin travel stroller but also convertible to a travel system!
- Comfort features?
Finally, review the comfort features. While a stroller may be optimally suited to travel it may not be the comfiest for your child, which can lead to whining.
Speaking from personal experience, a whiny or worse, crying baby on plane is not easy to deal with. If it really comes down to that, you can only resort to using some tips such as the use of toys and pacifiers in attempt to soothe them. 
To prevent them from being miserable, look for offerings such as a sun canopy, a child tray, cupholders, recline, and calf support in your ideal product.
It may seem like a lot to keep in mind but it will be well worth it when you find the best travel double stroller.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I travel with a double stroller?
If you want to travel with a double stroller, you will need a model that is cut out for travel, not twin strollers with car seats included.
A double stroller for lightweight travel is usually compact, not heavy, and has minimal accessories that makes it easy to use, carry, and stow away.
Unlike a regular double stroller, compact double strollers can be very helpful if you have children who tire easily, cannot walk, or want to be contained while in a new place.
Can you gate-check a double stroller?
You can usually gate check any kind of toddler and baby strollers which includes double strollers. You will want a luggage tag and possibly a storage bag to keep your stroller clean and safe. Then leave it at the gate check and pick it up when you land!
What can I do to keep my double stroller in good condition?
Just like any other stroller for twins and toddlers, and infants you want to make sure your double stroller is in good working order.
To keep it in great shape you should regularly inspect it, clean it (especially buckles and harness straps), and oil the wheels if necessary. Your manual should provide care and maintenance instructions. 
What are some alternatives to using a double travel stroller?
A double stroller with a car seat can be bulky, and sometimes, even the best lightweight double strollers for infants and toddlers can be too much for travel, so what are you going to do?
You could try using baby carriers, car seats or bassinets if your little one is small to survive long-haul flying.  A single stroller to temporarily accommodate your younger child is also not out of the question if your older child prefers walking.
You can always consider renting travel strollers when you arrive at your destination.
When traveling lightweight, portability, and convenience are in high demand. These features will make your baby stroller easy to use while rushing through busy airports, navigating markets, or winding through amusement parks.
Among all the travel strollers, the one that checks all of these boxes overall is the Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller. It is full of awesome offerings that don’t compromise its transportability.
Regardless, as long as you have your stroller features requirement down, shopping for the best model will become less of a chore but more of a manageable task instead. Any of these top-rated double stroller picks will allow the whole family to jet set with ease!
So what’s your favorite pick? If you have additional tips you think will be helpful to others, do tell us in the comments and share this list if you find it useful!
Last update on 2022-06-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API