Double strollers are invaluable when it comes to travel. If you are cruising through your city or visiting a new destination, you will probably want your kids close, safe, and accounted for. A double stroller is a great way to keep an eye on them while providing them with a comfortable space to rest their tired legs.
Knowing it can be a struggle to pick an ideal double stroller for trips, we have lined up a handful of great best double stroller for travel options for you. Some of our highlights include:
- Best Overall Pick for its great value: Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller
- Best Affordable option: Delta Children LX Side by Side Tandem Umbrella Stroller
- Most Durable double travel stroller: Graco Modes Duo Double Stroller
- Best Lightweight Double Stroller for Travel: The Twin+ Luxe Zoe XL2 Stroller
- Best Travel Double Stroller for Tall Parents: Britax B-Lively Double Stroller
With a total of ten double strollers for travel to choose in our list, there may be something for everyone. Read on to find your perfect pairing.
Top 10 Best Double Strollers for Travel
It can be nerve-wracking traveling as a parent. You are visiting a new place where you don’t know the layout, the community, or anything beyond what you read online. This is a time when you will probably want your children close at hand. The best double stroller for travel is a perfect place to free up your hands while keeping your little ones close by.
Also, when you travel you probably plan on doing a lot of walking. Even though little kids say that they are big and won’t need the stroller, truth is, tiny legs get tired. A light double stroller for travel is the ideal spot for them to take a rest while you continue exploring. They’re also a great way to haul around all of your necessities and belongings!
Can I Bring Double Strollers onto Airplane?
With a stroller so large, you may wonder if a double stroller can follow you on your travels, especially if you are traveling by air. Though all airlines tend to have different rules, most will allow you to check your double stroller.
They are too big to carry on and be stored overhead though. Thankfully, many airlines will allow you to use it up until the gate check and then tag it as checked luggage. After all, double strollers are travel essentials!
When you are shopping around for travel double strollers, be sure to consider the following.
Travel friendly in size & weight?
While it is true that most airlines will check your double stroller, some can be more airplane friendly than others. Bulky and heavy double strollers aren’t great for airplanes. Additionally, these strollers may not be well suited to travel either. Lightweight strollers with compact profiles are best.
Wheels, Suspension System, Maneuverability, Folding mechanism?
Another part of being travel and airplane friendly is the folding mechanism. You want it to be easy to use and able to quickly collapse your best double stroller for travel. Some have flat folds while others just collapse into a smaller shape. Other great folding features are a self-standing fold and an automatic locking system when folded.
Traveling families will also want a stroller that handles well on all types of terrain. Look for durable wheels with an incorporated suspension system designed for maneuverability.
Storage is one of the important components of being airplane and travel friendly. You want the stroller to be able to store many baby items like bottles, diapers, wet wipes and more as you are on the go. At the same time, it’s also a huge bonus if you have an easy access to the stroller basket.
Of course, safety is paramount. Be sure to check the stroller for harnesses, stability, and durable frames and wheels.
Travel system compatible?
If you have younger children it may be helpful to get a double stroller that is travel system compatible. This way you can simply connect their infant car seat and be on your way. This is ideal for getting out of a busy airport or even jumping out of a taxi.
Finally, review the comfort features. While a stroller may be optimally suited to travel it may not be the comfiest for your child, which can lead to whining. To prevent them from being miserable look for offerings in your best double stroller for travel like a sun canopy, a child tray, cupholders, recline, and calf support.
It may seem like a lot to keep in mind but it will be well worth it when you find the best travel double stroller.
Top Ten Traveling Double Strollers
#1 Joovy Caboose Ultralight Graphite Stroller
Up first is the Joovy Caboose Ultralight Graphite Stroller. This is a great option if you are searching for a double stroller lightweight travel. It is ultra-light, super compact, and provides hassle-free maneuverability.
The spacious child seat is safe, cozy, and even includes a tray with a cupholder. The rear bench seat is equally as comfortable. It has a three-point harness to keep your child secure. Both the parent organizer and the lower basket are soft and collapsible. When you fold your stroller you will be shocked at how compact it is. Perfect for stashing it in trunks while on the go.
- Soft parent organizer
- Large canopy covers front and rear seat
- Can connect car seat with adapters
- Weighs only 22 pounds
- Automatic lock when folded
- Cannot recline child seat when bench seat is in use
- Difficult to get items in and out of the basket
- The lightest weight, most compact, and maneuverable double stroller available allows your older child to sit and stand on the rear platform or bench seat. 22 pounds
- Includes parent organizer and a universal car seat adapter that fits most major brands. Check the Joovy website for the most recent list. Never allow a rear seated child to use the canopy as a hand hold
- New rear seat canopy extension protects the rear seated child. Also compatible with the Caboose Rear Seat that adds a full size, forward facing rear seat (if your older child is still too young to stand)
#2 Graco Modes Duo Double Stroller
Next is the Graco Modes Duo Double Stroller, the best twin travel stroller when you are looking for durability. After all, it is made to grow with your children from infancy through childhood. It has an impressive 27 riding options; keeping them safe and comfortable as they grow.
You can use two infant car seats with the adapters or make use of the child seats. Each seat is equipped with a tray, a cup holder, and a canopy. If you have an older child they can ride along too thanks to the bench seat and the standing board. Everyone will be within arms reach when traveling. Storing it is a breeze with its one-handed fold, easy off seats, and standing fold.
- 27 riding options
- Includes bench seat and standing board
- Each child seat has a tray and a cup holder
- Self-standing fold
- Huge lower basket
- Toddler seats are short
- Child seat buckles are difficult to latch and unlatch
- Your purchase includes One Graco Modes Duo Double Stroller in Shift color | 2 Removable seats with trays and cup holders
- Stroller dimensions – 46” L x 25.5" W x 45" H | Seat space – 7.5” | Seat back – 17” | Stroller weight – 42 lbs. | Front/Rear seat max hold weight (each) – 50 lbs. | Rear wheel size – 8.5” | Front Wheel Size – 7.5”
- Accepts two Graco Snug Ride Click Connect Infant Car Seats
#3 Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller
Searching for the best double stroller for airport travel that is also the best value? Check out the Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller. For an affordable price, you get a supremely safe, comfortable, and lightweight stroller. Many of its features are designed for ease of use while traveling.
The padded child seats have swing-away trays with two cup holders that can be completely removed to cut down on size and weight. The rear seat can easily convert from a second child seat to a sit-and-stand rear platform.
Additionally, this best double stroller for travel accepts two infant car seats. This sit-and-stand stroller can be folded down with one hand in one swift motion so you can be on your way in seconds.
- Available in 7 color options
- Child tray has two cup holders
- The parent tray has two cup holders
- Nearly flat fold
- Removable rear seat converts to sit-and-stand
- Must face wheels straight to fold
- No footrest
- Children can sit in the front and rear seats of this stroller or stand on the rear platform
- Removable rear seat converts stroller to traditional Sit N Stand
- One hand fold is fast and easy to use
#4 Summer 3Dpac CS+ Double Stroller
The Summer 3Dpac CS+ Double Stroller is an umbrella stroller with a few upgrades. Padded seats with leg support, deep canopies, and car seat compatibility make this an awesome luxury style umbrella stroller. The side by side option gives both children a supreme view of their surroundings.
In addition to these great features, the stroller also includes two large storage baskets, canopies with peek-a-boo windows and flip-out sun visors, and a parent organizer replete with cupholders. Despite all of these features it still only weighs 23 pounds!
- Car seat compatibility
- Compact fold with auto-lock mechanism
- Includes carry strap
- Parent organizer with storage pouches and cup holders
- Canopies include peek-a-boo windows and flip-out sun visors
- Difficult to recline seats
- LIGHTWEIGHT, COMPACT DESIGN – A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier! The Summer 3Dpac CS+ Double Stroller has a lightweight frame (just 23 lbs.) for quick pick up and go. Plus, an easy compact fold with auto lock and carry strap.
- CAR SEAT COMPATIBLE – Use your favorite car seat with this baby stroller with no adapter needed! Compatible with Graco SungRide Click Connect, Chicco KeyFit 30, Chicco Fit2 and Baby Trend Secure Snap Gear 35 Only. Only 1 car seat can be used at a time. No snack tray
- MULTI-POSITION RECLINE - Keep your little ones comfortable with the multi-position seat recline & leg rests. Plus, the adjustable extra-large canopies have a flip out sun visor & peekaboo window. Maximum weight for this double stroller: 50 lbs per seat.
#5 The Twin+ Luxe (Zoe XL2)
The Twin+ Luxe (Zoe XL2) takes the cake when it comes to luxury on the go. Though it may be an investment, this 19.5-pound stroller really packs in the features. While it is a double it can be turned into a triple or quad to accommodate your expanding family.
The side by side child seats are very spacious. Made of moisture-wicking UPF 50+ fabric your child will be cool and comfortable even without the huge canopies extended. A footrest, leg support, cupholders, and child trays ensure the coziest ride.
Despite all this, it is still Disney size approved and can fold up compact enough for a taxi, train, bus, or plane.
- Moisture-wicking UPF 50+ fabrics
- Disney approved
- Tall handle
- Expands to triple or quad
- Weighs less than 20 lbs
- Seat backs are short
- HIGH-END FEATURES – With ultra-luxury fabric, leatherette handles, ball bearing wheels, and a moisture-wicking UPF 50+ canopy, the Zoe Twin+ is the ultimate no-bulk side-by-side double stroller for on-the-go parents.
- LIGHTWEIGHT – Disney approved, weighs only 19.5lbs and comes with cup-holders, a double belly bar, and removable strap covers.
- EXPANDABLE – This stroller can grow as your family grows thanks to its patented tandem design, which expands to a double, triple, or even a quad (!) with add-on seats (sold separately).
#6 Delta Children LX Side by Side Tandem Umbrella Stroller
The Delta Children LX Side by Side Tandem Umbrella Stroller is the top pick for the best double umbrella stroller for travel and the most affordable. It has a narrow footprint, a compact fold, and the most lightweight frame. Ideal for traveling with children who will frequently want to hop in and out of the child seats.
Each seat has a padded five-point harness in addition to an adequately sized canopy and a footrest. The 360-degree shock-absorbing wheels are perfect for navigating uneven terrain while keeping the ride smooth.
Two storage bags, a parent cup holder, and ergonomically designed handles round out the parent features. Weighing just over 18 pounds and being Disney sized approved, it is effortless to take this stroller along with you.
- Weighs just over 18 pounds
- Available in four color options
- Includes removable parent cup holder
- Shock absorbing 360 swivel wheels
- Disney size approved
- Does not accept an infant car seat
- No lower storage basket
- Recommend for children up to 35 pounds; Large European style canopy; Two storage bags and parent cup holder with two attachment points; Meets Disney size requirements
- Five point safety harness; 360 Degree swivel shock absorbing front wheels
- Lightweight frame; Compact umbrella fold for easy storage and travel
#7 Jeep Destination Ultralight Side x Side Double Stroller
The Jeep Destination Ultralight Side x Side Double Stroller is perfect for parents of twins or siblings who love to travel. Its slim profile, lightweight, and convenience options make it shine as a double travel stroller.
The aluminum frame is outfitted with roomy child seats, a storage bin, and large 7-inch wheels. Independently reclining child seats, shaded by large canopies keep children cool and relaxed.
Despite all of this, it still manages to weigh just over 28 pounds. It folds up so compact that it even has a carrying strap for increased portability. When you are not traveling the self-standing fold comes in handy.
- Narrow side by side design
- Adjustable footrests
- Multi-position recline
- Self-standing fold
- Swiveling bumper bars
- Wheels prone to squeaking
- Seat depth is shallow
- RECOMMENDED USE: Each seat holds up to 40 pounds (80 pounds total). Canopies feature pop out SPF 50 sun visors to shield little ones. Peak a boo windows allow you to keep an eye on your children. Swivel bars make it easy to get children in and out
- LIGHTWEIGHT: This stroller features an aluminum frame. Weighs 28.66 pounds. Storage bin provides plenty of room for toys, snacks, etc. Double stroller features 1680D fabric that is durable and water resistant
- SIZE: Assembled dimensions (in inches): 29.5 (width), 36.2 (depth), 41.7 (height). Folded dimensions: 29.5 (width), 30 (depth), 13.4 (height). Easy/compact standing fold, foam handles and carry strap for easy storing or traveling. Quick release wheels
#8 The Britax B-Lively Double Stroller
The Britax B-Lively Double Stroller is a petite side by side stroller. Big enough to give your children a great ride but small enough for globetrotting. The modern design will appeal to your minimalist side, while both short and tall parents will rejoice at the adjustable handlebars.
The deep and tall child seats provide full support from head to two. They each recline and have their own ventilated UV canopies. If your child is too young for the seat their infant car seat can be connected in a snap. Six pockets in addition to the extra-large storage basket provide a spot for all of your souvenirs. You won’t want to leave the house without this stroller.
- Adjustable handlebar
- Self-standing fold
- Accommodates children up to 50lbs and 6 years
- Linked parking brake
- Six storage pockets plus a lower basket
- Buckle hard to latch and unlatch
- Wheels are not ideal for all terrains
- All new side by side double stroller with infant car seat compatibility, self-standing enhanced storage, adjustable handlebar and improved features
- Travel system ready: compatible with 1 Britax or BOB infant car seat (adapter sold separately)
- Lightweight stroller with all wheel suspension, linked parking brake, and self-standing quick fold
#9 Maclaren Twin Triumph Stroller
The Maclaren Twin Triumph Stroller is a fancy umbrella stroller that is perfect for children 6 months and up. It can hold a shocking 110lbs! The stroller itself only weighs 21 pounds.
Two spacious child seats have high backs and leg support cushions so no matter how big your little one is they won’t feel squished. Waterproof UPF 50+ sun canopies with flip out visors will be greatly appreciated when visiting sunny destinations.
This rugged twin stroller also includes a wind-resistant rain cover because you never know what type of weather you may encounter when traveling.
- Storage pockets plus a lower basket
- Reclining child seats with leg support cushions
- Includes wind-resistant rain-cover
- Canopies are waterproof
- Only for 6 months and up
- The rear center wheel can impede stride
- Basic weight of 21.2lb; Ideal for children 6 months and up to 110lb.
- A multi-position recline seat with leg support cushion
- Includes: premium wind-resistant raincover
#10 BABY JOY Double Light-Weight Stroller
Finally, the BABY JOY Double Light-Weight Stroller is lightweight, convenient, and well-made. Its large seats are plushly padded, even the five-point harness has padded covers. Lower footrests provide the perfect spot for tired little legs. The adjustable canopies with peek-a-boo windows keep your kids shaded but allow you to still check in on them.
The super lightweight frame keeps this stroller under 20 pounds. The lockable swivel wheels allow you to navigate a variety of terrains. A foot-activated rear braking system puts you in control, perfect for busy theme parks. A removable parent cup holder is great but can easily be taken off to make this stroller even more compact.
- Weighs only 18lbs
- Removable parent cup holder
- Two back of seat storage pouches
- Locking swivel wheels
- Folds in seconds
- Seats only accommodate up to 35 pounds
- No lower storage basket
- 👶👶Lightweight & Convenient - BABY JOY compact, lightweight tandem stroller weighs just around 18 pounds. And accommodates children up to 35 pounds (70 pounds total). And it will surely become your favorite "get around town" accessory.
- 👶👶Safe and Comfort - Equipped with 5-point safety harness can well protect your baby to securely sit on. Without the front bar restriction, this stroller maximizes your investment by adapting to the size and weight of your infants throughout their early life.
- 👶👶Adjustable Canopy - It can well protect your babies from ultraviolet radiation or sudden shower. You can also look at your babies with peek a boo windows to better take care of them.
When traveling lightweight, portability, and convenience are in high demand. These features will make your baby stroller easy to use while rushing through busy airports, navigating markets, or winding through amusement parks.
The stroller that checks all of these boxes overall is the Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller. It is full of awesome offerings that don’t compromise its transportability.
Regardless, as long as you have your stroller features requirement down, shopping for your best double stroller for travel will become less of a chore but more of a manageable task instead. Any of these top-rated double stroller picks will allow the whole family to jet set with ease!
So what’s your favorite pick? If you have additional tips you think will be helpful to others, do tell us in the comments and share this list if you find it useful!
Last update on 2021-06-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API