Traveling with a toddler is an entirely different challenge. You need to pack a lot of baby stuff, find kid-friendly travel spots, and of course, find a way to transport your child from one place to another. What helped me to solve the last problem was to use a lightweight stroller for toddler!
As a mom, my priority is to look for a stable and durable best stroller for my child’s safety. However, a lightweight stroller can offer convenience that you can’t find in a standard stroller.
I know how frustrating finding the perfect lightweight stroller for toddlers can be. I’ve gone through research on a lot of models before I settle for Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller as my pick (and you’ll see why later in the article).
That’s why I’m here to help you find the best lightweight stroller for toddlers. If you’re ready, let’s get started!
The Best Lightweight Stroller for Toddlers: Our 12 Top Picks
How to Choose the Best Compact Stroller for Toddler
Weights of lightweight strollers range from 10 to 25 lbs. Of course, the lighter the stroller, the better it is, as agreed by Parents.com too. However, there are other considerations you need to keep in mind. Here they are:
To ensure your kid’s safety, you should choose a stroller with a safety belt, parking brake, and certifications.
Even if the 5-point harness has become the gold standard of stroller safety belts, not all lightweight stroller has this option so you should pay attention to this feature.
The best lightweight stroller for toddlers also needs to have an easy-to-initiate parking brake, so the stroller won’t roll away from you with your toddler in when you’re not on the go. Lastly, you should choose a stroller that has been tested, evaluated, and certified by JPMA.
Maximum Weight and Height Capacity
Strollers provide information on the maximum weight and height of the child that can sit on the stroller. To keep your child safe, make sure that his height and weight are within the stroller’s limits.
The durability of the stroller lies in its frame material. The best stroller frame material is aluminum, as it’s both durable and lightweight, a factor to consider when picking your best lightweight stroller for toddlers.
A toddler can be a handful. That’s why a stroller that can be folded using only one hand will be a big help for you. The best lightweight stroller for toddlers must be able to self-stand once it’s folded so you can easily store it.
Consider the stroller’s folded and unfolded size to ensure that it can fit your car’s trunk. Not only that, you would want a stroller that is not a pain to carry as you juggle with managing your toddler at the side.
Also concerning stroller size, you may want to check out this article on 5 Best Strollers for a Walk-up Apartment if you live in such a setting.
If you’re like us who love to walk outdoors, you should check out the size of the stroller’s canopy, so you’re sure that your child will have maximum sun protection while you’re on the go.
Stability and Maneuverability
These two factors are both determined by the stroller’s wheels. The bigger the wheels, the easier it will be for you to maneuver the stroller. The best lightweight stroller for toddlers that has swivel wheels will give you better control.
To determine how comfortable the stroller will be for your child, take a look at its seat. A padded seat is a must. You should also look for an adjustable leg rest so your kid can comfortably rest his legs, no matter how tall or short your toddler is.
Adjustable handlebars are a nice feature to have if you’re a tall parent or rather short in height.
Our 12 Top Rated Best Lightweight Strollers for Toddlers 2020
You should understand that not all lightweight strollers are created equal. Some strollers are durable and lightweight while others sacrificed durability for portability.
However, some can give you the best of both worlds, here are some of them:
1. Mountain Buggy Nano Stroller
Travel— this is the ultimate theme of the Mountain Buggy Nano Stroller. Redesigned to be more travel-friendly, the stroller now comes in a lightweight, narrow, and more compact frame. It weighs only 13 lbs and has a folded dimension of 12 x 22 x 20 inches.
The frame’s slim size will make it easy for you to pass through most establishment’s doorways and go through crowded streets. Its size, combined with its curb pop design, will also allow you to maneuver on curbs in the easiest way possible.
Despite being more compact and narrower, this stroller is highly durable and can accommodate children weighing up to 44 lbs. If your child is within the normal weight, he can use the stroller until he’s 4 years old.
When folded, the stroller’s size meets the airlines’ carry-on luggage regulations, so you can certainly bring this with you on your trips. On top of that, it comes with a travel bag and shoulder strap for on-the-go convenience.
- Sleek all-black design
- Comes with fabric overlay for winter coverage
- Car seat-ready, no attachments needed
- 30% deeper recline
- Works with a cocoon too
- Extendable 3-panel sun hood for maximum sun protection
- Smallest weight capacity
- Difficult to open and unfold
- Infant car seat ready ; no need to purchase additional adapters and now has a soft shell cocoon carrycot available (sold separately) for newborns
- New, narrower compact size at just Dimension - 12 x 22 x 20 inches (Folded) with 44 lb. weight capacity and suitable for children up to 4 years
- Easy two-step, compact fold meets regulations for airline carryon luggage. Travel bag and shoulder strap included
2. Beberoad R2 Ultra Lightweight Stroller
The 13.6 lb Beberoad R2 Ultra Lightweight stroller is equipped with overall protection for outdoor travel. It has an all-wheel suspension that is designed for comfortable travel.
This suspension system is easy to maneuver and ensures that your child won’t feel any bumps even if you walk on rough and challenging terrains. This feature will also make it easy for you to navigate through stony paths.
As if that’s not enough, this best lightweight stroller for toddlers even has a patented footwall design provides double protection to your baby. The manufacturer covered all the bases as it also equipped the stroller with an extendable UPF 50+ protection to shield your baby from the harmful rays of the sun. The canopy is also waterproof, so you can use it even when it’s raining outside.
The stroller’s dimension is only 18.2 x 9.8 x 30.3 inches and can fit in a plane’s luggage cabin when folded. It also comes with a backpack-style carry bag so you can conveniently carry it wherever you go.
- One-hand quick folding design for your convenience
- Can be used with a car seat adaptor which is sold separately
- Includes cup holder, travel bag, and rain holder
- Made of high-class fabric
- The stroller seat can be reclined for up to 110 to 152 degrees.
- The highest angle the seat can achieve is mid-incline
- Reclining the seats requires two hands.
3. Baby Jogger City Tour 2 Single Stroller
This 14-lb Baby Jogger City Tour 2 Stroller is an excellent option for surviving a tiring and challenging city tour. Even though it’s lightweight, you can use it for children weighing up to 45 lbs. With its one-hand fold and auto-lock features, you can easily fold it, lock it, and go to your next destination.
The stroller grows with your family and offers your child 3 ways to ride. Add in the car seat, and you can use it as an infant seat when your baby is still little. Put on the carrycot, and you can ride with your baby facing you.
And when your child reaches the toddler stage, put him in the comfortable stroller seat with a calf support that can be adjusted to his needs. It’s the ultimate toddler stroller that you can bring with you on your trips without any accessories.
With this, you have all the options to ensure that your strolling experience with your baby will be exactly how you want it to be!
- One-handed fold with auto lock
- Lightweight and durable wheels for a smooth ride
- Adjustable calf support that allows your toddler to get his legs up comfortably
- UV-protected canopy has a peekaboo window so you can check on your child.
- The storage basket can be accessed in the front or at the sides.
- It’s hard to fold and unfold.
- The stroller is also tricky to clean.
- Newly redesigned, with infant car seat compatibility
- Ultra compact one hand fold and auto lock
- Three ways to ride for infants and toddlers
4. Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller
Described by the manufacturer as an air-light stroller, the Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller truly lives up to its name because it weighs only 13 lbs.
If you think the company sacrificed the quality of the stroller for its weight, think again. It actually has a high maximum weight capacity of 50 lbs, which is quite impressive for its size and weight. This is all thanks to the stroller’s frame made of high-quality aluminum material, so it’s not just lightweight—it’s highly durable.
The stroller is also the most affordable product in the list. At its price point, you may be worried about your child’s safety. The surprising thing is this is one of the few best lightweight strollers for toddlers in the market with a 5-point safety harness, which is the gold standard in strollers’ safety belts.
- 4-position recline for your baby’s ultimate comfort
- Folds compact and auto-lock for easy folding
- Plenty of storage options including extra-large storage basket, cup holder, and rear storage pocket
- Carry strap for portability
- Adjustable and removable canopy for extra sunny days
- Most affordable stroller
- It doesn’t stand on its own when folded.
- Hard to fold and close
- LIGHTWEIGHT – A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier! The Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller has a durable aluminum frame that weighs just 13 pounds and has a large seat area, plus anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels
- FOR TRAVEL AND EVERYDAY – Whether you’re traveling or just on the go running everyday errands, having a lightweight, compact stroller is a must! With this one easy to use stroller, you’ll have both an everyday and travel stroller option
- 4-POSITION RECLINE - Keep your little one comfortable and safe at all times with the 4 position recline and 5 point safety harness. Maximum weight of child for this toddler stroller: 50 pounds. No lateral bar
5. Graco Aire3 Stroller
If you hate using strollers that are difficult to fold and close, this Graco Aire3 Stroller is your savior!
This may not be the lightest stroller out there (it’s 21 lbs), but its easy-to-fold design guarantees that you can pack the stroller in seconds! Not only that, the stroller has an auto-lock mechanism and a self-standing design, so you don’t have to worry about it tipping over while you safely secure your child to the car seat.
The addition of the carrying strap just reinforces how portable this stroller is. One little detail that I love is the removable armrest because it will allow you to remove your child from the stroller with no obstacles.
Children weighing up to 50 lbs can use this stroller, and they can enjoy the seat’s multi-position and flat-reclining seat because it allows them to lie down or seat upright completely.
- Two-color options—Ames and Pierce
- One-step attachment for a travel system
- Parent tray for your convenience
- Extra-large basket for storage
- One of the heaviest strollers in the list
- It only works with the Graco car seat.
- Stroller folds easily in one second & with one hand and features a convenient carrying strap for extra portability
- Accepts all Graco Click Connect Infant Car Seats with a secure one-step attachment to create your own travel system
- Stroller automatically locks and is self-standing, so it's easy to transport & store. Use light oil if wheels squeak
6. Bugaboo Ant Baby Stroller
Comfortable ride for you and your baby is what you’ll get with this 21.7 lb stroller, thanks to its all-wheel suspension. It’s equipped with a 5-point harness that can secure kids weighing up to 50 lbs in his seat.
The Bugaboo Ant Baby Stroller is the only stroller in this review that provides two ways of riding, even without accessories! That’s because it’s equipped with a reversible and reclining seat.
With the seat’s reversible design, you can choose whether to ride with your child facing you. In this way, you can monitor all his moves. You can also have a more established connection with him. The best thing is you can see every facial expression he’s making which is undoubtedly a lovely sight to behold.
- Extendable sun canopy with UPF 50+ sun protection
- Packed with storage options—rear basket and under-seat basket
- Stylish stroller color options
- All-wheel suspension for a smooth ride
- Recline feature for upright to lie flat position.
- All accessories are sold separately.
7. UPPAbaby MINU Stroller
Featuring a spring-action mechanism, the UPPAbaby MINU stroller promises your kid nothing less than a smooth ride. It can accommodate kids weighing up to 55 lbs, which is quite outstanding, considering it weight only 15.2 lbs.
Convenience—now, this is the manufacturer’s promise to you. With its one-hand and one-step fold design, you can easily fold the stroller with only one hand in a single smooth motion.
This means that you can pack and fold this best lightweight stroller for toddlers even if you’re carrying your baby without your partner’s help.
- Ample and accessible storage basket
- Multi-position seat
- Roomy seat for your growing child
- Compatible with car seat adapters
- UPF 50+ extendable canopy with vented window
- The handlebar is not suitable for short people.
- No cup holder
8. Maxi-Cosi Lara Lightweight Ultra Compact Stroller
The 14-lb Maxi-Cosi Lara Ultra-compact Stroller is equipped for all types of adventure! With its all-wheel suspension, you wouldn’t have to worry about walking on a stony path. Regardless of the terrain, the stroller’s suspension ensures that it will always be a smooth ride.
For your child’s ultimate comfort, the stroller’s padded seat is made from breathable and soft materials, keeping him feeling cool even on a sunny day. The adjustable leg rest is also meant to accommodate your baby’s needs no matter how big he gets, as long as he’s within the 50-lb weight limit.
Maxi-Cosi didn’t forget about your needs too. That’s why they incorporated the quick one-hand folding mechanism to fold and store your stroller with ease!
- Multiple color options—black, blue, gray, red
- Reclining seat for your baby’s comfort
- Comfortable padded seat
- Easy-to-access double-decker storage baskets accommodate plenty of items!
- Extendable UV-protected canopy with peek-a-boo window
- Difficult to open
- Small stroller seat
- Travel with your little one and enjoy your day out and about with this ultra-lightweight and compact stroller, designed for families on-the-go.
- Weighing only 14 pounds, the stroller maneuvers easily with one hand, even into small spaces, and folds up compactly to carry inside or upstairs with a built-in carry strap.
- Double-decker easy-to-access storage baskets, accessible from the rear, provide plenty of space to store extra diapers, spare clothes, snacks, and even a few of your own items.
9. gb Pockit+ Lightweight Umbrella Stroller
If you’re looking for an ultra-compact and collapsible umbrella stroller, you should check out this gb Pockit+ lightweight stroller as it’s the lightest stroller in the list—only 9.5 lbs! Its small size and lightweight have amazing features that can rival all the other full-featured stroller. Your child can use it from 6 months until he’s 55 lbs!
With its one-hand push design, this is probably one of the easiest and most enjoyable strollers you will use. It also has front-swivel wheels that allow you to navigate even the narrowest streets as easily as possible. If you’re worried about walking on rough terrains, its wheel lock got your back!
More than your convenience, the safety of your child is this stroller’s priority. That’s why it’s equipped with a 5-point harness system that features a 3-point buckle. The harness is easy to adjust for your convenience while the shoulder pads are added for your kid’s comfort.
- Beautiful color options
- Self-stands when folded
- Flexible and durable construction
- Reclines to a baby lounger
- Two-step folding process
- The wheel lock is hard to use
- Not as sturdy as expected
- Collapsible & Compact Design: This travel stroller’s ultra-compact and collapsible design ensures it will fit in most overhead compartments on planes and trains, eliminating the need to check your baby stroller while travelling.
- Lightweight Convenience: This must-have umbrella stroller weighs a mere 9 ½ pounds and makes one-handed pushing and steering a breeze. It folds down in 2 simple steps and can be carried effortlessly via the attached handle.
- Durable and Flexible Construction: Durable for everyday use as well as travel the Pockit+ is designed to roll with the punches. Its flexible construction keeps wiggly bodies safe and happy during their travels.
10. Maclaren Quest Stroller
The Maclaren Quest Stroller is part of the All New Collection. All of the strollers under this collection are perfectly tailored for reduced weight, enhanced ergonomics, and better style.
The 12.2-lb stroller’s aerodynamic frame features an elevated seat, streamlined wheels, one-step brake, better and bigger hood, and custom-fit apron. Like all the other Maclarens, this one also has a premium wind-resistant rain cover to protect children weighing up to 55 lbs and all your belongings!
This is also the only stroller that offers Sovereign Lifetime Warranty in the market. Designed to serve your family for decades, self-service replaceable parts, including grips, seats, wheels, and hoods, can easily maintain your stroller’s performance.
Reduced costs and longevity are two things you can enjoy from this best lightweight stroller for toddlers!
- Plenty of color options
- Made of high-tech aircraft-grade aluminum frame
- One-hand fold, auto-lock, and carry strap for on-the-go safety and convenience
- Foot-operated brakes
- Second lightest stroller in the list
- Hard to fold
- Too long when folded
- The All New Collection Tailored to perfection to reduce weight, improve ergonomics and add style. Features include a redesigned hood with custom-fit apron, streamlined wheels with one step brakes and an elevated seat on an aerodynamic frame.
- Basic weight of 5.5kg/12.2lb; Ideal for newborns and children up to 25kg/55lb
- Every Maclaren includes a premium wind-resistant Rain cover in-the-box; Compatible with the Maclaren Carrycot; Easily replaceable Parts available
11. Joovy Kooper Stroller
If there’s one thing that we love about the Joovy Kooper Stroller, it’s the seat. With more headroom and wider sitting surface, the seat is designed to accommodate growing toddlers up to 55 lbs or 5 years of age. It’s also made of zero flame retardant chemicals, so it’s both eco- and kid-friendly.
Oh, let’s not forget about one more stroller part that we should pay attention to—the big wheels. It might just be the stroller with the biggest wheels in the market. The wheels’ size will help you traverse rough terrains and make it easy for you to maintain the stroller’s balance.
- Five stylish color choices
- Built-in zippered pocket and mesh cup holder
- Adjustable Water-repellent material
- Car seat adapter-ready
- Parent tray folds with the stroller.
- Canopy fabric is prone to staining.
- Biggest wheels of any compact stroller on the market for a smooth ride and easy, one-handed push
- Super easy one-handed fold. Folds WITH the included tray!
- Customizable recline, more headroom and a wider seat. Adjustable 3-position footrest. Seat fabric is removable and machine-washable.
12. Britax B-Agile Lightweight Stroller
The Britax B-Agile Lightweight Stroller claims to be the easiest stroller to maneuver.
With its 3-wheel design, we understood why it has the word Agile in its name. Even though it has only one wheel in the front, the front wheel is a swivel wheel. These features work together to provide a small-turning radius that allows parents to glide their way through busy streets and crowded establishments.
Despite having only three wheels and weighing only 18 lbs, the stroller is equipped with an all-wheel suspension system, so babies weighing up to 55 lbs can enjoy a smooth and fun ride. The stroller’s lightweight aluminum frame makes it highly portable and easy to carry and transport.
- Travel-system ready
- Quick-fold design
- Click and Go system makes it compatible with a car seat.
- Can be folded with only one hand
- Ventilated and UPF-protected canopy
- It only works with Britax Car Seat.
- Small storage basket
- PARENT CONVENIENCE: One-hand quick fold; extra-large storage basket
- SMOOTH RIDE: Lightweight design and all-wheel suspension for smooth, easy strolls
- CHECK IN & CHAT: Ventilated, UPF 50+ canopy with peek-a-boo window for checking on baby
Which is the Best Lightweight Stroller for Toddlers?
A lightweight stroller is not just a nice thing to have while traveling. Honestly, it can also make our day-to-day activities a whole lot easier. This is most especially true during errand days, and you can’t find any sitter, so you need to bring your baby with you.
So which is the best lightweight stroller for toddlers? We have two recommendations. Our top pick is the Maclaren Quest Stroller as it has replaceable parts, high maximum weight capacity, and a lifetime warranty that you can’t find in other strollers.
But if you find it to be a bit expensive, our budget pick is Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller because it has full features even if it’s the most affordable stroller in the list.
That’s all about our list of best lightweight stroller for toddlers – do share it with others if you find this article useful!
Last update on 2021-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API