Using a pacifier for your newborn or breastfeeding baby is a controversial topic among many parents but there have been some studies that show it offers plenty of benefits for your baby.
However, it can be difficult to find the best pacifiers for breastfed baby and newborn which is why I have put together this comprehensive guide to help you find the right pacifier for your breastfeeding child.
5 BEST PACIFIERS FOR BREASTFED BABY AND NEWBORN TO SHOP FOR:
Pacifiers – The Pros and Cons for Breastfed Babies
As I mentioned above, the use of pacifiers for babies and newborns, especially breastfeeding ones, is considered controversial among many parents because of the strong opinions about it. However, studies have shown that, like with anything, using pacifiers can have both advantages and disadvantages for your child.
Check out the pros and cons of pacifiers for your baby.
- Can help reduce the risk of SIDS or sudden infant death syndrome.
- Offers temporary distractions from events like blood tests, shots, and other medical procedures.
- Can help soothe fussy babies, especially during flights.
- Can help babies fall asleep faster at night.
- Pacifiers are easily replaceable.
- Early use can interfere with breastfeeding.
- Babies can become dependent on it, especially if always used at night.
- Can lead to dental issues with prolonged use.
If you’re worried about the disadvantages presented by pacifiers, here are the things you can do to avoid them:
- Wait 3-4 weeks after initially breastfeeding them to use a pacifier.
- Only offer a pacifier between or after feedings.
- Don’t coat it with sweet substances.
- Choose a one-piece and washable model and keep backups at hand.
- Always keep it clean.
Pacifiers can be beneficial to your breastfeeding baby when used correctly and as you and I both know, parenthood is a rewarding but still difficult endeavor without some help.
How to Choose the Best Pacifier for Breastfed Baby – What to Look For
When it comes to choosing the best pacifier for nursing babies, it can be difficult to do so because of the numerous options available. To better understand what to look for in a pacifier, here are the features you need to check out when choosing the right one for your baby.
Choosing the wrong size of a pacifier for your baby can serve as a safety hazard because a too-small size can be a choking hazard while a too-big one might not be effective at soothing him/her. Therefore, when finding the best pacifiers for breastfed baby, consider this factor as pacifiers come in different sizes and the appropriate size depends on their age.
- Small for babies aged 6 months or below
- Medium for babies aged 6 months to 18 months
- Large for babies aged 18 months and above
It’s vital that you consider the composition of your baby’s pacifier as they will be putting this into their mouths. The most commonly used materials for the pacifier nipple (the part your baby will be sucking on) are latex or silicone.
Silicone is more common than latex because it’s almost always dishwasher-safe and more durable than its latex counterparts. It also doesn’t retain odors which can make it more appealing for your child.
Latex, on the other hand, is softer and offers more flexibility than silicone nipples but the downside is that latex nipples wear out faster and requires hand-washing. Moreover, it retains odors which can turn off your baby from sucking on the pacifier.
Type of Pacifier
Another issue with choosing the best binky for breastfed baby is because there are just so many types of pacifiers to choose from. However, depending on your child’s age and preference, you will also want to carefully consider the type of pacifier they will use. Here are the most common ones:
- Basic Pacifier/Three-Piece – This is considered the most common one and was built to withstand constant use.
- One-Piece Pacifier – Another common type, this type might be better if you’re worried about choking hazards as this cannot break apart, unlike the former type.
- Feeding Pacifier – At 6 months old, you can start introducing new flavors and food to your baby. A feeding pacifier can help with this task.
- Stuffed Animal Pacifier – This type of pacifier has become popular in recent years because the stuffed animal can be more attractive for your baby and it’s easier for him/her to hold. It’s also machine-washable.
Top 5 Best Pacifiers for Breastfeeding Babies
MAM Night Orthodontic Pacifiers
One of the hardest challenges of being a new mother is getting up at night to soothe a crying baby. When you’re groggy, it can be difficult to find your baby’s binky without turning on the lights – something that can further irritate your child.
The MAM Night Orthodontic Pacifiers help combat this problem with their glow-in-the-dark pacifiers that make it easy to locate it and easily pop it back into your baby’s mouth.
- Features a glow-in-the-dark design that allows it to be easily located at night.
- Has BPA-free silicone nipple with a symmetrical shape that helps the development of the teeth and jaw of your baby
- Comes with a sterilizing storage case for convenient and easy cleaning after use
- With a SkinSoft silicone nipple closely mimics the feel of mom, making it the pacifier most like breast
- With a textured surface and small openings allow for better ventilation
- The clear design makes it difficult to find during the day
- GLOWS AT NIGHT - These night pacifiers glow in the dark, making it easy for you to locate quickly at night without any stumbling and searching, so baby can sleep better.
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN – These cute pacifiers for babies are fun and functional. The curved shield with wide openings keep baby comfortable and allow baby’s skin to breathe.
- SILICONE NIPPLE – The BPA-free silicone nipple is a signature MAM pacifier design, with silky SkinSoft material and a symmetrical shape that's ideal for jaw and teeth development.
Nanobébé Flexy Pacifiers
If you’re looking for the best pacifier for nursing babies that will help your little one successfully transition from breastfeeding to sucking on a binky, then the Nanobébé Flexy Pacifiers might be the pacifier for you.
With its unique carefully thought-out design, these pacifiers will stay firmly in your baby’s mouth because they conform to your baby’s face shape. Each pacifier nipple is made from BPA- and phthalate-free silicone, making it safe for the use of your nursing child.
- Has a well-thought-out design that helps ease the transition for your little one and prevent nipple confusion
- Features a unique shape that’s designed to conform to your baby’s face so it stays firmly inside
- Uses BPA- and phthalate-free silicone that’s safe for use and helps promote good oral development
- Has an extra-soft nipple to enhance baby’s comfort while sucking
- Features a lightweight design for easy use and a more comfortable fit
- Not suitable for use by older babies as it leaves an imprint on their faces
- SOOTHE BABY – Does your fussy baby have trouble falling asleep? Calm her cries with soft and soothing silicone baby pacifiers by nanobébé – they’re a new mom’s must-have! Teach your newborn to self soothe between feedings, in the car, and while falling asleep!
- BEST FOR BREASTFEEDING BABIES – Keep your baby latching securely and happily. Carefully designed to prevent nipple confusion, this 2-pack of breastfeeding pacifiers eases your baby’s transition between breast and binky!
- A PERFECT FIT – Shaped to stay in your baby's mouth, the flexible baby binky comfortably forms to your baby's face. Plus, each silicone teething pacifier promotes healthy oral development and is gentle on gums and teeth.
Chicco PhysioForma Pacifiers
As one of the more recognizable brands in the baby product industry, Chicco’s PhysioForma pacifier was developed with the help of medical professionals to ensure the quality and safety of their product. This pacifier features a clinically tested design that supports your baby’s breathing as well as their oral development while sucking on it.
Each pacifier is made from 100% BPA- and Latex-free hygienic silicone that makes it safe for use when soothing your little one.
- Has a scientifically-backed design which promotes healthy oral development and supports your baby’s breathing
- Features an extra-soft BPA- and latex-free silicone nipple that doesn’t just soothe your baby but allows him/her to remain comfortable while doing so
- Comes with a convenient sterilizing case for easy and hassle-free cleaning and sterilization
- Has ventilation holes that help circulate the air, reducing the build-up of moisture on your baby’s sensitive skin
- Features a big handle that’s easy enough to grasp for your baby
- The sizes can run bigger than expected
- Actively supports baby’s breathing
- Clinically developed, tested, and approved in partnership with an advisory panel of leading neonatologists, pediatricians, and orthodontists
- Lateral curve of the nipple evenly distributes the tongue’s pressure against the palate
Itzy Ritzy Sweetie Pacifiers
Itzy Ritzy Sweetie Soother Pacifiers are one-piece pacifiers that were designed to help soothe fussy babies. Each one features a unique and cute design which you can use to match your baby’s pacifier with his/her outfit. With its 2 extra-large air holes, your baby will remain safe even when sucking for prolonged periods of time.
Adding to its safety is the use of 100% food-grade and latex-free silicone that’s highly durable and soft enough to make it comfortable for sucking. Each binky is also dishwasher-safe which make cleaning and sterilizing baby’s binky easier and hassle-free, which is also the reason it is one of the best pacifiers for breastfed baby.
- Available in different designs that are cute as well as functional
- Made from 100% food-grade latex-free silicone that meets ASTM safety standards
- With 2 large vent holes for increased ventilation and breathability
- Highly durable and comfortable design
- Dishwasher-safe and can be sterilized with a microwave steam sterilizer bag
- Doesn’t last long if your baby bites it
- This newborn pacifier 2-pack includes two coordinating pacifiers, each made of 100% food grade silicone and featuring 2 large vent holes for breathability
- The dark and light pink pacifiers in this coordinating set each feature a bow detail on the collapsible handle - perfect for coordinating with baby's outfits!
- Our pacifiers are safety tested to meet ASTM safety standards and feature a single-part design and a collapsible handle for added safety
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Everyday Pacifiers
The Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Everyday Pacifiers features a traditional shield style design which is perfect for your baby’s everyday use. It has a symmetrically-shaped orthodontic nipple that was designed to help promote proper oral development in growing babies.
The reversible design of the nipple also makes it easier for your baby to insert the pacifier by himself/herself correctly. Each pacifier uses a BPA-free silicone nipple that ensures the safety of your baby’s health while sucking on the pacifier.
- Features a symmetrical and orthodontic design that helps with proper oral development
- Uses a BPA-free silicone nipple for increased safety
- Has a reversible design which makes it easy for baby to insert it in his/her mouth himself/herself
- Designed with the everyday use of your baby in mind
- Models for babies aged 6 to 18 months are available as well
- Can be difficult to thoroughly clean
- Pacifier with traditional shield style featuring understated designs, ideal for everyday use
- Symmetrical orthodontic shape designed to support natural oral development
- Reversible pacifier nipple making it easier for babies to correctly insert the pacifier
The aforementioned pacifiers are just some of the ones available on the market these days. Taking into account the factors needed to be considered when choosing the best pacifiers for breastfeeding baby, the Chicco PhysioForma Pacifier would have to be my top pick.
It features everything your baby will need for proper oral development and it’s backed by various medical professionals as well. Moreover, while it doesn’t have the added features like being glow-in-the-dark, this model has all the important ones that a baby would need in a pacifier.
It’s big enough, made from high-quality food-grade silicone, and it features a one-piece design which minimizes the risk of your baby choking on it. To learn more about this pacifier, there are a lot of videos from which you can learn more about it like this and this.
Nevertheless, all the other pacifiers on this list also have a lot to offer and it really just boils down to your baby’s preference. After all, they will be the one using it and don’t we just want the best for our child?
Last update on 2021-04-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API