Tandem Strollers, Twice the Fun!
Whether you have siblings or multiples, many of us parents will be on the lookout for the best tandem stroller at one point or another. It is so much easier to go anywhere with little ones when you have a double stroller.
If you have twins or multiples, a tandem stroller is a necessity as part of the travel system package. But even if you have siblings, a double stroller can make your life much easier, especially during trips with a lot of walking when your older child is apt to tire of walking. However, not all double strollers are created equally. Let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages.
12 Best Tandem Strollers
Types of Tandems
Tandem strollers are great for when you have more than one child. You can attach two car seats, use more than one child seat, convert it to a sit and stand, or use a combination of its riding options.
However, there are two distinct categories that tandem strollers can fall into. The first type is a front to back double stroller. Just like the name implies a front to back stroller puts one child in front of the other. The best tandem stroller often offers a variety of seating options, such as having the children both facing forward or alternatively facing one another. This stroller type is often easier to maneuver, but it is longer. Additionally, it does not fold as flat.
You may be interested in: How Long Should You Keep Your Baby in a Rear Facing Car Seat?
The second type is sit and stand. This stroller will have one seating area for a young child or infant and another space for an older child to sit and stand. This model is typically lighter and more compact but it is not ideal for those with twins or who need to attach multiple car seats.
How To Pick The Best Tandem Stroller
As mentioned, there are a few different types of tandem strollers on the market. Deciding on your preferred version (front to back or sit and stand) should be the foundation of your choice. After you know which type you are searching for, take into consideration these factors.
Safety: Safety is paramount when it comes to anything a child will be using. While most strollers go through rigorous testing, you should still check out each model’s safety features. These can include things like child restraints, braking systems, and sturdy and durable parts.
Size: Depending on the type of stroller you choose, size can come into play differently. A double stroller front and back can be very long. Sit and stand strollers tend to be the most compact. Consider the size when your best tandem stroller is folded and unfolded.
You may want to read: 5 Best Strollers for Airplane Travel
Ease of Use: The size will likely affect the ease of use. Tandem strollers are unsurprisingly heavier and a bit bulkier. This can make them more difficult to push, turn, and fold and unfold. Make sure that you can easily handle your stroller when walking, jogging or hiking trails, and can collapse and un-collapse it with reasonable ease.
Age and Weight Limits: Different strollers have different limits on how small or big a child can be to use it. Check the weight and height limits first, they are more accurate than age limits. To get the most life out of your best tandem stroller, look for one that has the highest max weight and height limits.
Comfort and Convenience Features: Don’t forget about special features that make you and your child’s experience easier and more comfortable. This can be things such as cup holders, snack trays, storage baskets, and more. Though they can add a little bulk and weight, these features will often make using your best tandem stroller much more enjoyable for everybody.
Twelve Top Tandems!
1. Baby Trend Sit N’ Stand Double Stroller
First is the Baby Trend Sit N’ Stand Double Stroller. This best tandem stroller is ideal for either a family with multiples or those with siblings. It is unique in that it combines the sit and stand option with a double infant carrier option. The stroller can accept two infant carriers or two child seats along with the sit and stand riding board. Depending on your child’s ages you can use any combination of these different ways to ride!
The four-wheel design is very sturdy. It is equipped with a foot-activated parking brake for ease and safety. A large lower basket keeps all of your items within reach. However, the child seat trays and parent trays are perfect for items you want to keep close at hand. Each tray even includes a cup holder.
The collapsible canopies adequately cover each child seat. As the child seat doesn’t have to be removed to use the infant carrier, the canopy can work in conjunction with the car seat canopy, providing a full-coverage canopy to protect your little one. The five-point safety harnesses keep occupants safe while the plush seats keep them comfortable. This is a stroller that will grow with your children and can be enjoyed for years to come.
- Accepts two infant car seats
- Has a sit and stand option
- One-handed fold
- Child seats recline
- Difficult to lock in a folded position
- Hard to make tight turns
- DOUBLE STROLLER: Tandem double stroller with various riding positions lets the whole family enjoy a beautiful walk together.
- MULTIPLE POSITIONS: Kids can sit in the front or rear reclining seats or stand on the rear platform.
- TRAVEL SYSTEM COMPATIBLE: Front and rear seats accepts up to 2 infant car seats (not included). Accepts most Baby Trend and most major brands of infant car seats (infant car seat sold separately).
2. Contours Options Elite Tandem Double Toddler & Baby Stroller
The Contours Options Elite Tandem Double Toddler & Baby Stroller is an extremely versatile tandem stroller. It has seven different seating options. Each option accommodates children of either the same age, weight, and height, or different. Everyone can hop on for a stroller ride, from older children to infants.
With seating options like face to face, back to back, or both forward-facing, everyone can be kept comfortable and within parents’ view. The child seats do more than just face multiple directions. They have a padded crossbar and five-point harness for safety. The collapsible canopy provides excellent sun protection. Finally, the adjustable calf support gives occupants a custom ride.
Parents will love the humongous lower storage basket. It even has zippered side access so you don’t have to fight through your children’s legs. A cup holder keeps beverages accessible. Despite having lots of features, this best tandem stroller is still relatively lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- 7 different seating options
- Front and rear wheel suspension
- Wheels feature quick disconnect
- Disney size approved
- No child tray
- No “stand” option for older children
- Bulky when folded
- 7 SEATING OPTIONS -- Versatile seating configurations to keep everyone happy. Reversible seats with new lift-assist mounts for easy Face Forward & Backward, Face-to-Face, and Back-to-Back seating options. The Contours Options Elite easily folds and auto locks with both seats attached.
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN -- Enjoy multiple seating options in a lighter-weight aluminum frame that is only 34 lbs. Easy to assemble and each seat accommodates up to 40 pounds.
- FITS TWO COMFORTABLY -- Accommodates two infant car seats. Brand specific "click-in" adapters and universal car seat adapter available for purchase separately. List of compatible car seats shown below.
3. Joovy Caboose Ultralight Graphite Stroller
An awesome compact tandem option is the Joovy Caboose Ultralight Graphite Stroller. This is a sit and stand stroller, perfect for children of different ages. The younger child can cruise in comfort; either in a car seat or a child seat. Regardless of how your little one rides, their older sibling can come along, choosing to sit on the bench or stand on the riding platform.
Both the child seat and the bench seat have added safety and comfort features. Such as a canopy that is oversized to cover both riders. And each seat has a safety harness for security.
Though the frame is very narrow and compact, it is quite sturdy. This stroller’s sleek size makes it perfect for navigating crowded areas. It is so light that storage and transport are a breeze. This is an ideal stroller for those on the go.
- Universal car seat adapter works with most brands
- Canopy covers both riders at the same time
- Includes soft parent organizer
- Large lower storage basket
- Cannot accept two infant seats or child seats
- Storage difficult to access when two children are riding
- Standing board doesn’t lock in place when folded
- The lightest weight, most compact, and maneuverable double stroller available allows your older child to sit and stand on the rear platform or bench seat. 22 pounds
- 2 year warranty is 4 times longer than the baby trend sit and stand warranty and 2 times longer than the Graco ready2 grow warranty - Satisfaction guaranteed. Features three point harness in rear bench seat
- Includes parent organizer and a universal car seat adapter that fits most major brands. Check the Joovy website for the most recent list. Never allow a rear seated child to use the canopy as a hand hold
4. Cynebaby Urban Twin Carriage Stroller
The Cynebaby Urban Twin Carriage Stroller is a wonderful sit and stand option. Its sleek frame is perfect for parents who love to travel. Additionally, it may be one of the most lightweight tandem double stroller. The oxford grey color theme is very trendy.
As a sit and stand, it offers older riders the choice of standing on the platform or using the bench. Young ones can ride in the child seat. The child seat is spacious, accommodating children from sitting age to forty pounds. A safety harness keeps them secure while a child tray and cup holder keep goodies close at hand. An extendable footrest lets growing children use the seat longer.
The bench seat has its own harness for added protection. The easy to hold handles provide another layer of safety for standing riders. Your children aren’t the only ones who will enjoy the ride. This lightweight stroller is easy to push and steer. The combination of a lower storage basket and a parent organizer allows you to bring along all of your necessities. A great option for busy moms and dads.
- Easy one-handed fold
- Child seat reclines
- No-slip, sweat absorbing handle
- Handrail holds for riding platform safety
- Does not accommodate infant carrier
- No wheel suspension
- The seat is not plush or padded
- Satisfaction Guarantee - ❤Lifetime warranty. 100% full money return policy if you don’t want to keep it. Zero risk purchase.
- Safety First - ❤Passed ASTM F833 safety test ( Regulations of CPSC ). High quality eco-friendly fabric and non-toxic healthy plastic ( The child bit it in his mouth without worrying about toxic substances ); extremely stable frame; anti-rust and heavy-duty aluminum alloy tube; rapid braking system; stroller safety straps protect your child in all aspects.
- Features Point - ❤Large cargo storage basket ( convenient to place diaper bags, toys, or umbrella when you go out for a walk with your two kids ); 145-degree rotatable canopy and rear seat canopy extension prevent exposed sunlight and dust. Functional parent organizers help to place wallet, cup, cellphone. Stroller tray can be used as a snack plate.
5. Chicco Cortina Together Double Stroller
The Chicco Cortina Together Double Stroller shines as one best tandem stroller for those with multiples. From a young age, using the two infant car seat adapters, to older children, using the child seat, this stroller provides a place for everyone. The front to back positioning makes this stroller narrow, excellent for tight spaces and doorways.
Each child seat has a sun canopy with mesh sides for ventilation. The canopies are completely removable for when your child wants to take in the sights. Strap your little one in the five-point harness and you are ready to go! Recline the seatback or raise the calf support to customize their ride.
This stroller has an astonishingly compact fold, even with the lower storage basket. An automatic locking mechanism will keep it from popping open in your trunk. Storing it in your garage? It can self-stand. A great stroller both when in use or on standby.
- Toe-tap activated brakes
- Child seat armbar and cup holder
- Three-position handle
- Zippered lower storage basket
- No standing platform
- Difficult to attach infant carriers
- Cup holders may have to be removed for trunk storage
- Build your own travel system with matching Chicco car seats; Accepts two No.1-rated Key Fit or Key Fit 30 infant car seats
- Fully-reclining rear seat for bassinet enclosure or car seat attachment ,Assembled Dimensions - 47.25 x 45.5x 23.5 inches,Folded Dimensions - 47.75 x 23.5 x 16.75 inches
- Exclusive forward-fold front seat for car seat attachment
6. UPPAbaby VISTA Stroller
The UPPAbaby VISTA Stroller is about as compact as it gets when it comes to best tandem stroller category. It works very well as a single stroller but is also perfect for tandem use. It accepts two infant carriers, two child seats, two bassinets, or any combination you can think of! The position and facing direction of each attachment can be varied, giving you full control over your children’s stroller experience.
The child seat takes into consideration all aspects of your little one’s comfort. It has a sun canopy in addition to a rain and bug shield. The seat reclines for nap time. A five-point harness keeps occupants safely in place.
Parents will enjoy the one-handed fold feature. You can fold the stroller quickly either with or without the child seat attached. An extra-large storage basket holds up to thirty pounds, a necessity when you have more than one child. Coming in at only 35 pounds and having an extremely small footprint, this stroller is perfectly petite.
- Seats attach and remove with the push of a button
- Works well with taller toddlers
- Accepts bassinet attachment
- Very smooth ride
- No standing platform
- No carry handle
- Includes bassinet, full size front or rear facing toddler seat with multi-position recline, toddler seat rain and bug shields, and bassinet bug shield and storage bag
- Compatible with MESA Infant Car Seat - direct attachment, no adapters necessary; Compatible with select Chicco and Maxi-Cosi infant car seats when using adaptors (car seats and adaptors sold separately)
- Longer bassinet mattress pad with ventilation for added breathability
7. Britax B-Ready G3 Stroller
The Britax B-Ready G3 Stroller is pretty unique. It has a very compact footprint as instead of the traditional front to back positioning, it uses an in front and behind. One child can ride behind and slightly below the other, making this stroller very sleek and maneuverable.
It suits a wide age range of children. It can accommodate an infant seat in the lower position with the Lower Infant Car Seat Adapter and a child seat in the lower position with the B-Ready Second Seat.
The upper position can allow a child to face you or away from you. The four-position recline is ideal for when your little one wants to lay back and nap. The padded harness and crossbar keep children cozy and safe. The extendable canopy provides perfect coverage from the sun’s harsh rays.
The foam-filled rubber tires, coupled with the suspension system keep the ride smooth. The four wide set tires are excellent at keeping the stroller balanced and sturdy. This stroller is great as a single child stroller or a tandem, making it super versatile.
- Lower storage basket
- Adjustable handle
- Easy to collapse and open
- Accommodates up to 55lbs
- Doesn’t fold flat
- Difficult to attach infant seat
- No child tray
- Age/Weight Capacity: 6 months to 55 lbs
- The 4-position recline makes it easy to accommodate sleeping infants or attentive toddlers.
- Reversible top seat lets your child ride facing you or looking out at the world.
8. Evenflo Pivot Xpand
At first glance, the Evenflo Pivot Xpand looks like a single stroller. It can be used as a single and works just great. However, it may actually be the best tandem stroller for infant and toddler. This is because it accepts a combination of seats and has many adjustable features.
Use the two child seats, two infant seats, or a combination. The child seat can recline and use the adjustable footrest to suit a smaller child or infant in bassinet mode. The handlebar of the stroller can extend upward to make for more room for an older child in the lower position seat.
Each seating option has a canopy, a padded armbar, and a harness for comfort and security. A large lower storage basket is perfect for hauling everything around.
The large durable wheels can turn on a dime, and handle many different terrains, all while keeping the ride smooth. This is a stroller that will definitely grow with your family.
- Compact fold
- Self-standing when folded
- Modern design
- No child tray
- Canopy is not full coverage
- Child seats are a little short
- Single to Double Stroller: The perfect full-size baby stroller for today and tomorrow. It easily converts from single to double mode, has a 55-pound capacity, and is easy to store and fold. The folded dimensions are 26.5 X 18.5 X 31.5 inches
- 4 Modes of Use: Lightweight stroller travel system features 4 modes of use. The toddler seat easily converts to infant mode, cradling baby at a more comfortable angle in both forward- and parent-facing modes for additional flexibility
- Extra-Large Storage Basket: Built-in extra-large storage basket that expands to over 2 ft. in length, with front and back access. Unique slide-and-lock system expands frame to accommodate a second toddler seat or infant car seat (sold separately)
9. Graco Modes Duo Double Stroller
The Graco Modes Duo Double Stroller is a favorite of many parents. With 27 different riding options, it can easily handle two children, whether they be the same age or different.
This stroller has plush padded seats, big canopies, and child trays. The seats are extra comfortable and convenient. The best part is they do not have to be removed to fold the stroller. Unlike most tandem strollers, it includes a riding board and bench seat for older children. There are just so many ways to ride!
Despite having a huge storage basket and ultra-comfortable seats plus a standing platform, this stroller is a breeze to push and turn. Truly a unicorn as one best tandem stroller!
- 27 ways to ride
- Seats are easy to swap and reposition
- Includes child tray
- Rubber coated wheels reduce noise
- Short child seat height
- No parent tray/organizer
You may be interested in: Best Graco Car Seat Review
- Your purchase includes One Graco Modes Duo Double Stroller in Shift color | 2 Removable seats with trays and cup holders
- Stroller dimensions – 46” L x 25.5" W x 45" H | Seat space – 7.5” | Seat back – 17” | Stroller weight – 42 lbs. | Front/Rear seat max hold weight (each) – 50 lbs. | Rear wheel size – 8.5” | Front Wheel Size – 7.5”
- Accepts two Graco Snug Ride Click Connect Infant Car Seats
10. BABY JOY Double Baby Stroller
The BABY JOY Double Baby Stroller is perfect for older infants and children. The set up keeps your kids close together, giving the stroller a narrow footprint yet durable enough for daily use.
Children will enjoy the ride in the ultra-adjustable child seats. They recline, have adjustable footrests, and extra-large canopies. Parents will appreciate the adjustable handlebar and oversized storage basket. This stroller is perfect for when you want to easily navigate with two children.
- One-touch braking system
- Padded crossbars on child seats
- Locking front swivel wheels
- Not for younger babies
- Cannot accept a car seat
You may be interested in: Best Strollers for 5-Year-Olds
- Double Seat Design: Designed with 2 seats in front and back fits two babies seat together. The front seat is suitable for baby of 6-36 months. Rear seat is suitable from birth to 36 months. The maximum load of the stroller is 33 lbs in each seat.
- Safety Wheels and 5-point Safety Belts: The front wheels with shock proof function are non-directional and can also orient easily. The rear wheels have a linkage to brake with one step. The 5-point safety belt is equipped with each seat to ensure security while keeping your baby fit to the safety belt to feel comfortable.
- Adjustable Backrest, Push Handle and Footrest: The push handle can be adjusted to meet various babysitter to help them better take after the baby. The backrest can adjust to fit baby’s sleep posture to keep comfortable sleeping. And the foot rest can be adjusted to fit the baby’s leg with the increasing age.
11. Baby Jogger City Select LUX Double Stroller
The modern and stylish Baby Jogger City Select LUX Double Stroller is a single that can be converted to a double in a flash with the addition of a second child seat. It also works well with select infant car seats. When using both seats, you can place them in various directional combinations, facing together, apart, and more.
Children will enjoy being able to recline and adjust the calf support so they can have an enjoyable ride. Parents will love the far-reaching canopy complete with a check-in peek-a-boo window. The telescoping push handle, seatback pockets, and huge lower storage basket round out the parent convenience features.
Safety is paramount as seen by the hand brake used for both de-accelerating and as a parking brake. The large bicycle-style wheels and suspension keep the ride smooth and secure. This is a trendy best tandem stroller.
- Auto-lock when folding
- Locking front swivel wheels
- Folds to a compact size
- Difficult to fold with child seats attached
- Doesn’t work with all car seats
- The included second seat converts your City Select LUX stroller into a double stroller; each seat holds child up to 45 pounds and includes a 5 point stroller seat harness
- Seats can be front facing, parent facing, or sibling facing; folding stroller, including auto lock, folds 30 percentage smaller than City Select even with the second seat; hand operated decelerating and parking brake, all in one control
- All terrain stroller features all wheel suspension and locking front swivel wheels for control; telescoping handlebar adjusts to users of different heights; extended UV50 plus canopy with peek a boo window keeps baby shaded
12. Chicco BravoFor2 Standing/Sitting Double Stroller
Finally, we have the Chicco BravoFor2 Standing/Sitting Double Stroller. This sit and stand stroller has a lot to offer both parents and children. Little ones can ride via their car seat, in the child seat, or using the riding platform/bench seat options.
No matter which way they choose to ride the plush padding and safety harness keep everyone happy and out of harm’s way. The addition of a canopy and child’s tray to the seat makes the ride in this one best tandem stroller much more pleasant.
A lower storage basket and soft parent organizer with cupholders are the ideal methods to bring along your items. An effortless one-handed fold combined with an easy carry handle makes travel a breeze! This compact and lightweight stroller is ready to go wherever you are!
- Includes carry handle
- Child tray with two cup holders
- The standing platform has easy-grip handles
- Cannot accommodate two infant seats
- Child seat barely reclines
- Cup holders are shallow
- Accommodates 2 children: front seat + Back seat/platform for big kids to ride or stand
- Front seat folds forward to accept Chicco Key Fit or Fit2 car seat, and includes 5-point harness, adjustable canopy, and detachable child tray
- Bonus back seat includes 3-point harness and folds up to make room for standing
Two for the Road!
As you can see, the world of tandem strollers is diverse, and you have a lot of options. But, if you are looking for the best tandem double stroller, we have combed the tandem stroller reviews and the Baby Trend Sit N’ Stand Double Stroller has come out on top.
It is the best tandem stroller for twins or those with different aged children due to its seating options. It can accommodate two infant seats, two child seats, a combination, or make use of the sit and stand feature. All this combined with great comfort, safety, and convenience offerings. It doesn’t get any better than that!
Which of these tandem strollers is your favorite? Hope this list is useful to you, and if you enjoy reading, do share with parents who may need some ideas on this!
Last update on 2020-10-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API