Teething is a common experience for children. Unfortunately, when teeth erupt through the gums it can be quite uncomfortable for the child. Most little ones will begin teething around four months and continue to have teething pain until around three years of age. There is good news though – the best teething toys for babies can help relieve discomfort and be fun to play with at the same time!
Little ones often enjoy teething toys because they soothe sore gums and can be a blast to bite on. You want to make sure any baby chewing toys are safe and age-appropriate. To get you started with picking the perfect toy, we’ve created a list of our favorite best baby teethers.
- Top Teething Toys for Babies You Can Buy Today
- Different Types of Baby Teethers
- Ten Best Teething Toys for Babies
- #1 Kleynimals Keys – Editor's Pick
- #2 Giggles Haven 5-Pack Teething Toys – Best Teether for Molars
- #3 Baby Banana Teether & Infant Training Toothbrush – Best Oral Hygiene Teether
- #4 Itzy Ritzy Silicone Teething Mitt – Best Teether for Young Babies
- #5 Infantino 3-Pack Water Teethers – Best Cooling Teether
- #6 Comotomo Silicone Baby Teether
- #7 Sophie The Giraffe Teether
- #8 Nuby Teethe-Eez Silicone Teether
- #9 Fisher-Price Pizza Teether
- #10 Manhattan Toy Classic Baby Beads
- Should You Get Teething Products for Babies? Understanding Their Benefits
- How to Choose Teething Toys for Babies
Top Teething Toys for Babies You Can Buy Today
Different Types of Baby Teethers
Teething toys come in all shapes and sizes. Many babies have a preference as to which type of baby teeth toy they like to gnaw on. It may take some trial and error to figure out your child’s favorite. Here are a few popular types that your little one may enjoy.
Teething Toys: This term can be pretty generic and many of the top-rated teething toys fall into this category. A teething toy is any toy that has a surface designed for biting. It can be a part of the toy or the toy’s entire purpose, but the item usually has other fun and interactive elements.
Teething Rings: Teething rings are just as they sound, a ring-shaped biting surface. A teething ring can be made of silicone, wood, or even stainless steel. Some have other items attached, like ribbons or charms, while some are plain.
Teething Toothbrushes: Teething toothbrushes have a baby toothbrush-like end but are typically made completely of silicone. You can brush your baby’s teeth with the bristles or just let them chew on them. The baby banana infant teether is a popular example of a toothbrush and teether combined.
Teething Mittens: The Munch Mitt is the most well-known. Picture a mitten that fastens with velcro to your child’s fist. On the end of the mitten is a textured biting surface constructed from fabric or silicone. It doesn’t only relieve pain but also protects their skin from drool. They’re one of the best teething toys for a 4-month-old or even a 3-month-old because your child doesn’t have to know how to hold or grasp.
Teething Blankets: Similar to a lovey, these small blankets have an attached biting surface. One corner might be textured silicone or a crinkly fabric. Many have additional sensory elements, like ribbons or squeakers.
Frozen Teethers: Filled with food-safe gel, frozen teethers can be placed in the freezer. Most never harden completely but instead act as a firm and cold surface for babies to munch on.
Many parents have a few different types of teethers on hand to help relieve a variety of different symptoms, myself included! There’s also another type of teether called teething necklaces, but such teething jewelry isn’t recommended as a teething relief or soothe baby’s achy gums though.
Ten Best Teething Toys for Babies
Now that you know what to look for when buying teethers, here are some of the best teethers for babies available on the market nowadays.
#1 Kleynimals Keys – Editor’s Pick
Out of all the baby teething toys on the market, Kleynimals Keys are our favorite! Parents know that babies adore keys, they will dig through your bag to find them! However, real keys are unsanitary and unsafe for babies. These faux-keys are just as fun but much safer and hygienic.
They are made out of food-grade stainless steel. Dishwasher safe, they’re a breeze to clean. Your little one will love biting on the cool metal and hearing the fun animal “keys” clink together just like real keys! When it’s time to go on an adventure, just clip the ring onto a stroller, teething strap, or bag.
- Non-toxic and eco-friendly
- Dishwasher safe
- Metal is cooling on irritated gums
- Makes fun clinking sound for auditory development
- Lacks color that some babies may prefer
- Made in USA and Mom Invented
- Non-Toxic and Eco-Friendly
- Dishwasher Safe
#2 Giggles Haven 5-Pack Teething Toys – Best Teether for Molars
Desperately looking for the best teethers for molars? Consider Giggles Haven 5-Pack Teething Toys. Cute fruits sit atop long green stems that resemble a teething tube. Your little one can gnaw on every part of this silicone, food-grade teether that is free from BPA; from the bumpy top to the smooth bottom.
Its long handle makes it excellent for reaching the molars. The colorful biting surface is expertly designed to fit small mouths without posing a choking hazard. Your little one will love trying out each of these five fruits and you will delight in introducing them to new colors, shapes, and foods.
- Pack of five for variety
- Long handle helps reach molars
- Each fruit has a different texture for gum massage
- Solid design is easy to clean and prevents mold
- Can cause gagging if baby sticks it too far into their mouth
- Difficult to chill
- Worry-free Play Time – Take away your fears about your baby’s safety in grabbing these fruit-shaped teethers. You can be sure that these are soft, freezer safe and edible because these are made of food-grade silicone material that is BPA-free.
- Happy Satisfaction from Teething Relief – Be relieved as your baby girl or baby boy gets the comfort from teething pains. These chewing toys with different textures are designed to massage gums and lessen the discomfort of your little ones.
- Ergonomically Designed for Tiny Hands – Have no worries with those cute little fingers! These teething toys can be easily grasped using the slip-resistant handle.
#3 Baby Banana Teether & Infant Training Toothbrush – Best Oral Hygiene Teether
An awesome combination, the Baby Banana Teether & Infant Training Toothbrush acts like a toothbrush and chewy, making it one of the best teething products for baby’s whose teeth have started to erupt. Constructed entirely from silicone, it is safe, soft, and easy to clean.
The flexible baby banana infant brush is not only excellent for beginning brushing skills but also soothing inflamed gums. Cute peel handles are perfectly sized for tiny fists and help to prevent choking.
- Includes a toothbrush head for oral hygiene
- Silicone is BPA, latex, and phthalate-free
- Easy to clean
- Available in a variety of fun colors
- Not ideal for babies over 12 months who may be able to bite it off
- Some babies may not like the feeling of bristles
- Start teaching your baby good brushing habits with the Baby Banana Toothbrush! This training toothbrush is designed specifically for infants' and toddlers' small, sensitive mouths. Intended to be introduced when babies first begin teething and they instinctively want to stick everything in their mouths. The soft silicone bristles will gently massage sore teething gums when the brush is rubbed against them.
- This easy to hold toothbrush toy is made from a single piece of high quality, food grade silicone. It's been designed to be highly durable to withstand the rough handling of infants and toddlers. It can be put in the freezer to provide a soothing numbing effect for painful mouths. It is designed to be easily cleaned in the top rack of the dishwasher.
- The Baby Banana has been carefully designed especially for little hands to hold. Its "peels" allow you to attach a binky strap to the brush to prevent it from being dropped. If it does fall on the ground, it’s easy to rinse off and keep chewing. The whole toothbrush measures 4.33" x 0.39" x 7.87", making it perfect as a My First Toothbrush for infants just beginning to teethe.
#4 Itzy Ritzy Silicone Teething Mitt – Best Teether for Young Babies
The Itzy Ritzy Silicone Teething Mitt is one of the best baby teething toys if your teething babies love chewing on their hands. Water-resistant fabric on the body of the glove protects their soft skin and includes a Velcro strap and adorable pattern.
On top of the glove is a silicone textured biting surface. You can strap it on and your child can happily chomp away! They don’t need to be able to hold a toy thanks to its secure attachment which means it’s a definite contender for the best teether for 3 month old. It also prevents little ones from scratching their face, and could provide soothing relief for teething babies at night.
- Available in very cute patterns
- Doesn’t require the baby to be able to grasp
- Prevents scratching of the face
- Protects skin from drool while baby bites on the teether
- Takes a while for the fabric to dry
- Should be washed often
- Itzy Ritzy silicone teething mitts provide relief to emerging teeth and massage sore gums; they are made of food grade silicone and are non-toxic and free of BPA and PVC
- Our teething mitts feature textured silicone that is soothing on sore, swollen gums – they also include a crinkle sound that stimulates baby and keeps him or her entertained
- An adjustable strap ensures a secure fit and helps the mitt stay in place – perfect for babies who can’t yet hold a teether!
#5 Infantino 3-Pack Water Teethers – Best Cooling Teether
Sometimes you just can’t beat a cooling teether, like these Infantino 3-Pack Water Teethers. A circle of petite dots is made out of textured plastic and filled with water. The little dots are an excellent size for tiny mouths and the interesting feel massages baby’s sore gums.
Put them in the fridge to chill the water and provide cooling relief. As this teether is a ring, it’s super simple to clip it onto a strap or toy clip so your little one can have teething pain relief on the go!
- Can be cooled in the fridge
- Baby’s enjoy the texture of the plastic
- The ring shape is very portable
- Suitable for kids from 0 months to 36 months
- Sterilizing in super hot water may break down plastic
- Cannot be frozen
- 3-Pack of textured teethers
- Easy to grasp and hold
- Chill in fridge for extra comfort
#6 Comotomo Silicone Baby Teether
Baby’s love biting on their fingers and hands, unfortunately, this can lead to skin irritation. The Comotomo Silicone Baby Teether can help! This chew toy for babies was designed with multiple biting and grasping surfaces.
Four prongs resemble your child’s fingers and feature texturized ends, saving your child’s delicate skin. They resemble ever-popular teething straws but aren’t hollow so they won’t hold moisture. They are attached to an easy-to-hold ring. Made out of silicone, this is the best teether for a baby who loves to chew on their hands.
- 100% silicone
- Perfect size for tiny hands to hold
- Four prongs are the same size and shape as fingers
- Attractive bright color
- Cannot be chilled or frozen
- Prongs not long enough to reach some baby’s back teeth
Comotomo Silicone Teether
- Comotomo Silicone Teether is designed to mimic baby fingers
- Perfect for your little one’s grasp
- Bright colors to keep your baby entertained
- Ideally made to reach the back molars
#7 Sophie The Giraffe Teether
Sophie The Giraffe Teether has been around for decades and is still exceedingly popular. As far as teething toys for toddlers and baby’s go, it’s a favorite.
An adorable giraffe made of 100% natural rubber and food-grade paints is fun to bite on while also being safe and non-toxic. When bitten, it makes delightful squeaking sounds. The ears, legs, and body are all great for holding or chomping on. Simply put it in your dishwasher for easy cleaning.
- Dishwasher safe
- Made of natural rubber and food-grade paint
- Makes squeaking sounds
- Engaging giraffe character
- The hole makes it susceptible to growing mold inside
- Not a firm biting surface
Sophie La Girafe- Gift Set Award
- Includes: Sophie la giraffe, a teether
- 100 percent natural rubber
- Gift set for the photo competition Sophie la giraffe bonniest baby
#8 Nuby Teethe-Eez Silicone Teether
Have you heard about the Nuby Teethe-Eez Silicone Teether? This Nuby teether has a petite ring attached to two biting surfaces, it’s shaped like a sweet little fish!
Soft silicone is covered in different textures, including bumps and bristles. This helps to massage, clean, and soothe tooth pain. If you’re looking for safe teething toys this easy-to-wash, non-choking hazard teether is ideal.
- Effortless to clean
- Multiple biting textures and surfaces
- Won’t pose a choking hazard
- Perfect size for hands to hold
- Silicone is prone to attracting dust
- Hard for babies to reach back teeth
- Super soft 100% silicone fish-shaped teether
- Multiple teething surfaces aid in the eruption of new teeth
- Perfect size and shape for little hands to hold
#9 Fisher-Price Pizza Teether
If you’re looking for playful and quirky baby teethers, don’t pass up this Fisher-Price Pizza Teether. Your baby will delight in feeling the soft fabric of the pizza slice completely with crinkly stuffing.
The crust of the pizza is textured silicone, great for taking a bite as if it’s real teething food! It’s lightweight so baby’s who are working on their fine and gross motor skills can easily bring it to their mouths. This pizza teether entices all the senses.
- Crinkly fabric supports auditory development
- Lightweight for young babies
- Silicone biting surface is BPA free
- Soft fabric for tactile development
- Fabric can be hard to keep clean and dry
- Small biting area
- Pizza teether toy for babies 3 months and older
- BPA-free, silicone “crust” for teething
- Soft, crinkly vegetable pizza helps develop tactile and auditory skills
#10 Manhattan Toy Classic Baby Beads
Looking for the best teething toys for infants that are natural in material? Manhattan Toy Classic Baby Beads are an amazing choice. Natural wood finished in vibrant food-grade paints makes a lasting, high-quality teether. Your baby will love biting on the balls just as much as they’ll enjoy rattling them together.
The toy is designed to be manipulated in a variety of ways, encouraging cognitive skills and development. The balls are chip and splinter resistant so your little one can safely explore and play with them time and time again.
- Made of natural wood and water-based paints
- Encourages tactile, auditory, and cognitive skill-building
- Long-lasting and durable
- Great for young babies and toddlers alike
- Not ideal for baby’s teething molars or teeth in the back of the mouth
- Some babies may not like the hard wood biting surface
No products found.
Should You Get Teething Products for Babies? Understanding Their Benefits
Teething is perhaps one of the least fun stages your little one will experience during their early years. Moreover, it’s not just painful and uncomfortable for your baby but also for you as the pain and discomfort can make for a very fussy baby.
The discomfort can also cause them to lose sleep and their appetite, something that can be worrying for us as parents. After all, we don’t want to see our precious ones suffering.
Teething toys can be beneficial as effective teething relief when it comes to helping soothe our babies as they undergo this difficult and uncomfortable teething process. They can be used to soothe your baby by relieving the pain and discomfort they feel as their teeth start to come out one by one.
Through chewing on toys, slight pressure is placed on their sore gums which can help alleviate the pain and allow them to calm down.
Aside from that, teething products are a safer teething relief alternative for your baby as during this stage, they tend to put everything in their mouth. They do this because this is your baby’s way of trying to alleviate the discomfort and also the process of how they gain awareness of their mouth.
So, if you want to prevent them from putting dangerous things into their mouths, giving them teething toys can be the way to do so.
How to Choose Teething Toys for Babies
Now that you know how teethers can be beneficial, here are some factors of the best teething toys for babies that you need to look for when buying one:
The tooth will take a few days or weeks before it fully comes out but before it does so, your baby will feel the discomfort. The texture is an important factor to consider when buying a baby chew toy as chewing on it will help massage your baby’s gums and allow it to emerge more quickly.
Most teethers are made with silicone, plastic, and sometimes wood. Silicone is the most popular choice because it’s resistant to bacteria, soft, and easy to clean. Plastic teethers are the next popular option but when choosing this one, ensure that it’s safe for your baby. Safe teething toys are made from 100% BPA-free and food-grade materials.
Can Be Put in the Freezer
Some teethers have the option to be put in the freezer as the cold temperature can help soothe your baby’s swollen gums. They usually contain a gel that cools when placed in the freezer and this can help alleviate the pain and discomfort of your baby. However, when choosing this type of teether, ensure that it’s made of high-quality materials so it doesn’t become damaged with continuous use.
Easy Grip Handle or Clip
Although this is more for your benefit than your baby’s, it’s still something you should look for when buying a teether. This can help your baby grasp it with their own hands and makes it easy for you to pick it up after your baby has thrown it on the floor.
Since your baby will be putting this in their mouth, you need to ensure that their teether can be easily cleaned and sanitized. Some teethers are dishwasher-safe but the best options would be the ones that can be boiled as this helps kill the germs in case your baby drops it on the floor.
As you can see, teethers come in all shapes and sizes. Most babies will develop a preference, but you probably already have a few must-haves in mind too!
We highly recommend Kleynimals Keys. It gets our vote for the top spot in our recommended teething toys for babies line up. They’re super safe, easy to transport, a breeze to clean, and delight babies with the cool biting surface and fun sound.
Whether you were on the hunt for the best teething rings, best cold teethers, or best developmental teethers, we hope this list helped!
What are your thoughts on the above teether toys for babies? Comment below if you have other go-to baby teether recommendations!
Last update on 2023-06-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API