Why Would You Need a Baby Monitor for Travel?
Preparing for your first trip after the birth of your baby can be overwhelming. Who knew someone so little needed to pack so many baby gear and things?
As you are making your packing checklist, it would be a smart idea to add a baby monitor to that list. Babies are prone to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) especially during infancy, so having such a device can help give you peace of mind while you are in a new place and will want to keep an eye on your baby at all times.
Baby monitors may not be the ultimate solution to SIDS risks but they add a layer of security, knowing you are in better control when it comes to your baby’s safety. That said, we are here to help you find the best travel baby monitor that is portable and reliable for your next vacation.
10 Great Picks of the Best Travel Baby Monitor
You may think that overall size is the most important factor to consider when looking for in the best portable baby monitor, but while this is an important thing to look for, it’s not the most important.
When selecting the best travel baby monitor, you will need to consider the connection requirements, particularly if the monitor heavily relies on a stable wi-fi connection.
If you are staying with family or friends, this may not be much of a deciding factor. You can pretty much guarantee that they will have a strong enough wi-fi connection to support your baby monitor.
However, if you are staying in a hotel, you may not have the most reliable internet connection for your baby monitor. And of course, if you are staying somewhere you know will not have internet connection, you will need to consider a monitor that works off wi-fi. This will be particularly important when taking your baby monitor abroad.
Most baby monitors don’t rely on wi-fi in order to work. They will simply communicate between the parent and baby units so you can keep an eye on your little one.
The monitors you need to stay away from when traveling are the ones that stream directly to your portable device, like your phone or tablet. These will require a strong wi-fi connection in order to keep a live feed going.
Wi-fi monitors do have their benefits, but they are better suited for use in the home where you have a reliable connection. If you know you will be in the home of a friend or family member, just make sure to get their wi-fi password so you can connect your monitor there.
With baby monitors, no matter where you are planning to use them, range is one of the top things parents should be looking at before purchasing. You don’t want to find yourself in a position where you can’t see or hear your baby because the connection is lost, so getting a long-range monitor will help solve the problem.
When considering the portability of your monitor, you will be looking at two things in particular: overall size and type of camera. If the camera needs to be mounted in order to use it, that monitor is not the best for portability. You will also want it to be small enough to fit into your child’s travel bag easily.
We’ve already talked about monitors with wi-fi requirements and how they aren’t the best for traveling, unless you will be staying in someone’s home. That’s not to say you need to avoid wi-fi monitors altogether. Just make sure they also have a non-wi-fi option for connection as well.
You will want to monitor everything about your child and their room remotely. Most baby monitors have movement, sound, and temperature sensors that you can read from the parent unit. Some best travel baby monitor even go so far as monitoring your child’s breathing and alerting you when there are abnormalities.
As your child gets more vocal, they will probably start calling out for you during the night at times. Running to their room every time you need to calm them can be tiring. It can also make it harder for your child to go to sleep on their own if they think you will always come. A monitor with two-way communication can solve this problem.
Sometimes you may need to view a different angle in your child’s room, especially if they are moving in their crib or if the camera is far away from them. Having full control over the camera – tilt, pan, and zoom – can really be helpful when you want to keep a close eye on your child while they are sleeping.
Not necessarily need to have, but there are some additional features that would be nice to consider when looking for a baby monitor. These may include a nightlight on the baby unit, night vision feature, video screen on parent unit, the built-in lullabies, and – for those with wi-fi capability – the ability to record activity to view later.
The first product on our best travel baby monitor list is the eufy Security Spaceview. It’s an excellent video monitor that does not require wi-fi in order to use it.
This monitor’s camera can be mounted to the wall or in a corner in your baby’s room, but you can also take it with you easily wherever you may need it. It doesn’t take up much space in your bag and only needs a small space to sit on.
The parent unit has a large 5-inch display and gives you control over the pan and tilt of the camera so you can see your baby from just about any angle. You even have the option to add up to three more cameras if you want to monitor multiple rooms in your home.
- Does not require wi-fi connection
- Battery is rechargeable
- 460-foot range with obstructions; 1000-foot max in open area
- Large 5” display on parent unit
- 330-degree pan and 110-degree tilt control on camera
- Sends audible alerts triggered by sound rather than just turning on the display
- Temperature sensor is inaccurate
- Does not filter out white noise
- Switching to night mode needs to be done manually
- Sweet Dreams on the Big Screen: The large 5" 720p video baby monitor display shows a sharp picture with 10 times more detail than ordinary 240p-display baby monitors.
- Ready for Their First Steps: When your baby starts to walk and run around, just attach the included lens to expand the view to 110 Degrees. No need to purchase another lens.
- Pan from Pillow to Pinky Toes: Pan the lens 330° to see corner-to-corner and tilt 110° to see floor to ceiling.
The Babysense V24US video monitor is probably the most affordable option on our best travel baby monitor list. Even if you choose the option with 2 cameras and larger display, you will be saving quite a bit of money compared to comparable monitors.
This monitor does not require wi-fi connection. Up to 4 cameras can be streamed directly to the parent unit, cycling through each of the camera views.
There are two options to help calm and soothe your baby without you needing to enter the room. With two-way talk, your little one can hear your voice and be reassured without thinking you will come and get them. The baby unit also has the ability to play lullabies, which can help calm your baby and get them to sleep easier.
- Can pair up to 4 cameras with the parent unit
- Two-way audio and programmed lullabies to calm baby
- Does not require wi-fi connection
- Night vision switches automatically
- Eco-mode to save battery life
- Small display on parent unit
- Tilt and pan need to be done manually
- Eco-mode does not work when cycling through cameras
- Camera power cord is very short
- HAVE A PEACE OF MIND – Our Baby Monitor with Camera allows monitoring your baby’s sleep with 2.4 Inch High Quality Color LCD Display, providing high quality and stable streaming, secure hacking-free connection and crystal clear digital vision & sound. Your baby deserves the best care.
- SOOTHE & COMFORT YOUR BABY: Use the two-way audio or the programmed lullaby sounds to calm your baby remotely. So you can comfort your baby with the sound of your own voice, sometimes our little angels just need to hear our voice!
- STAY CONNECTED TO YOUR BABY – There's nothing more stressful than not knowing what your little one is doing. That is why our Babysense portable baby monitor features long range of up to 900 feet (OPEN SPACE), which does not require wifi (no hacking risks) and allows you to move freely in your house or yard and sleep better at night.
Another affordable baby monitor for travel option is this HelloBaby HB65 Baby Monitor. With this monitor, there is no app required and no wi-fi connection. No need to worry about losing signal, and you can rest assured that your connection is secure.
Like the previous monitor we just looked at, up to four cameras can be connected to this system, and the parent unit will scan through the different rooms and camera angles so you can see everything easily.
One of the best features of this device is you have control over the tilt and pan of the camera directly from the parent unit. The camera can also be mounted on the wall or used free standing on your next vacation.
- Parent unit gives control over camera tilt and pan angles
- Two-way audio and lullabies to soothe baby
- No wi-fi connection necessary to use
- Able to add up to 4 cameras on one parent unit
- Temperature sensor comes with alerts on the parent unit
- Very small screen display
- Battery on the parent unit dies quickly
- Screen doesn’t turn on automatically when baby cries
- Signal range is not very long
When it comes to the best travel baby monitor, you can’t get much better than the DRX-8 video baby monitor by Infant Optics. In fact, it is one of the most highly rated monitors out there, with over 37k reviews online.
You can control just about everything directly from the parent unit. You can soothe your baby without entering their room thanks to two-way talk. You can see every angle of the room and keep a close eye on your little one with the tilt, pan, and zoom controls on the parent unit.
You can also monitor the temperature in your baby’s room and see when they start crying with the light-up LED display. This monitor really does have just about everything you would look for in a travel baby monitor.
Know more about DRX-8 video baby monitor by Infant Optics here.
- Comes with two different lenses: normal and zoom
- Can control the tilt, zoom, and pan of the camera from the parent unit
- Expandable up to 4 cameras
- 100% digital privacy without wi-fi connection
- Sound activated LED lights on parent unit to alert crying
- Can only zoom with a separate lens
- Somewhat small screen display
- Wide angle lens sold separately
- Cell phones can interfere with reception
- 2020 Award Winner: Babylist Best Baby Monitors Of 2020 *(Awarded On January 8, 2020)
- Perfect Size & Weight Ratio - No Large Batteries To Power Energy-Hungry Large Screens. The Dxr-8 Is Light-Weight And Portable, Designed For True Mobility Around The House. 10-Hr Battery Life On Power-Saving Mode, 6-Hr With Screen On.Care & Cleaning: Spot or Wipe Clean
- Full Viewing Control - The Dxr-8 Is A Baby Monitor With Camera Features Such As Pan/Tilt/Digital Zoom And Interchangeable Lens. Fit The Zoom Lens To See Even Closer, Or Zoom Out With The Wide Angle Lens. Expandable Up To 4 Cameras
Sometimes, when you are looking for a quality product, you just need to trust in a name brand that everyone knows. The KODAK Cherish monitor may be just what you are looking for in a travel baby monitor.
The screen display on the parent unit is 5 inches with a 720p resolution, large and clear enough to help you see your little one clearly. You also have full control of the tilt, pan, and zoom of the camera, so you can rest assured that nothing will escape your sight.
This monitor does offer wi-fi connection, giving you the ability to monitor your child on multiple devices through the KODAK Smart Home App, but when you are traveling, you do not need to use this feature. Simply stream directly from the camera to the parent device in order to see your child.
- Offers wi-fi connection and monitoring through the KODAK app
- Large HD screen display
- Parent unit allows full control of tilt, pan, and zoom of the camera
- Offers temperature and humidity alerts for your child’s room
- Soothe your baby back to sleep with two-way talk
- Battery does not last very long on the parent unit
- Slight delay between camera capture and parent unit display
- Only works with 2.4 GHz wi-fi connection, not 5 GHz
- Range between units is not very long
- "WIRED BEST BABY MONITOR 2019 & 2020": The Kodak Cherish C525 was created with parents in mind. Voted the "Best baby monitor you can buy right now" by Wired Magazine, for two years in a row.
- TESTED AND APPROVED BY PARENTS AROUND THE WORLD: The Kodak Video Baby Monitor is chosen and approved by parents from around the world. Take comfort at night knowing your little one is safe and sound asleep.
- PARENT UNIT AND APP: Being a parent is hard yet rewarding, but making time for yourself is essential. Take a break while staying connected to your little one by using the Parent unit during the night, and Kodak Smart Home App while mastering the challenge of work-life balance.
This portable baby monitor by ANMEATE is almost identical to the second monitor on our list. The camera style and parent unit size are about the same. It also includes the same features such as 2x digital camera zoom, multi-camera expandability, and lullabies that play from the camera unit.
Its small size – both the camera and the parent unit – makes it very easy to travel with. The camera can be mounted to the wall or stand alone on a table top. And it does not require wi-fi in order to use it. The camera simply communicates with the parent receiver unit.
- Low, affordable price
- Allows use with up to 4 cameras
- Can be mounted on the wall or stand alone on a table top
- Lullabies and two-way talk can soothe baby
- Night vision changes automatically
- Tilt and pan need to be adjusted manually on the camera
- Small parent unit display
- Short battery life, even in eco mode
- Night vision is a bit grainy
- High quality color screen: This unique baby monitor features a High Resolution Display with 2x zoom magnification for comprehensive coverage. The 2.4” screen can deliver streaming live view whenever you check in.
- High definition night vision & temperature monitoring: This baby monitor with camera has 8 infrared LED Lights and could constantly monitor babies’ activities. Other built-in features include automatic night vision and temperature monitoring.
- Two way talking & long transmission range: The video monitor covers a transmission range of up to 960 feet.You could play 4 soothing lullaby songs or use the two-way talk back intercom function to comfort your babies.
Another trusted name brand in the electronics department is Motorola, and this video monitor lives up to the quality expected from this brand.
Let’s start with the parent unit. The large 5-inch display makes it easier to see your baby more clearly. From this unit, you also have full control over the tilt, pan, and zoom angles on the camera.
Unlike some of the other expandable systems we looked at previously, this one offers a split screen view rather than a scanning option. This allows you to see all of your camera locations at the same time, making it much more convenient.
- Large 5-inch display on parent unit
- Full control of tilt, pan, and zoom on camera from parent unit
- Expandable up to 4 cameras
- Offer split screen view rather than scanning through camera views
- Up to 1000-foot range unobstructed
- Video quality at night is not clear
- Temperature indicator is off by several degrees
- Sound sensors are very sensitive
- Camera does not mount directly to the wall
- Parent unit features large 5” LCD color screen with LED sound level indicator and rechargeable battery with low battery alert
- Room temperature display, two-way communication, 5 soothing lullabies and split-screen viewing (requires additional camera MBP36XLBU, sold separately)
- Portable camera features rechargeable battery with remote pan, tilt and zoom, infrared night vision, high sensitivity microphone, and wireless technology - 2.4 GHz (for Local Viewing)
This product from SereneLife is a great portable baby monitor, especially when you are looking to travel. Its compact size makes it easy to fit into just about any bag, including mom’s purse, with little to no trouble.
You can easily carry around the parent unit by clipping it to your belt or waistband. No need to worry about setting it down somewhere and losing it. The extra long battery life of up to 24 hours is also incomparable with other video baby monitors.
It may not be the fanciest video monitor on our list, but the affordable price tag is definitely worth it.
- Parent unit can clip to belt or waistband
- Display goes to sleep until sound is registered
- Includes temperature monitor and lullabies from camera unit
- Can control lullabies from the parent unit
- Compact size for traveling
- Very small screen display
- Battery life is not as advertised
- Connection is lost easily
- No zoom option from parent unit
- UPGRADED LONG RANGE 850’ Long distance baby monitor keeps an eye on your child from anywhere in your home (and can even work a short distance outside) Dependable 2 4 GHZ wireless frequency is more reliable than cameras that work with home WiFi
- SCREEN SLEEP MODE Enable VOX mode and the digital screen will sleep while no sound signals detected No unwanted screen glow when monitoring camaras from your bedroom nightstand Set alarm in monitors settings for nap wakeup
- TEMPERATURE MONITORING Thermometer in the cam top measures the crib or room temperature Make sure your babies are comfortable in summer or winter Built in baby monitor night vision system will activate when optics sense low light
If you want full remote camera control and a price that won’t break the bank, this is one of the best travel baby monitors that meet those requirements.
The Amcrest AC-2 video monitor allows you full remote tilt, pan, and zoom controls from the parent unit. You can see your baby clearly on the 3.5-inch display both during the day and at night, with night vision visibility up to 15 feet away.
The camera unit includes some great additional features, including a nightlight, 5 lullaby melodies, and temperature sensor. Our favorite feature, however, is the sensitivity control for sound detection. You won’t need to be bothered with every tiny little sound since you can set it to just respond to the volume of your baby’s cries.
- VOX option includes sensitivity control for sound detection
- Night vision allows you to see baby clearly up to 15 feet away
- Remote pan, tilt, and zoom from parent unit
- Built-in night light and lullabies to soothe baby
- Works through secure FHSS technology, not wi-fi
- Bright blinking light on unit may keep you up at night
- Buttons are hard to see at night without backlight
- VOX doesn’t work when using lullaby sounds
- Only supports one camera
- 3.5” DISPLAY & SECURE CONNECTION: The Amcrest video baby monitor with camera and audio features a high quality 3.5inch display and 2.4ghz wireless connection with secure FHSS technology. Remote pan, tilt and digital zoom allows you to cover every angle and get upclose. Built-in microphone & speaker allows for two-way communication.
- VOICE ACTIVATION & LONG-LASTING BATTERY: This video baby monitor features an audio/voice activation (VOX) feature with adjustable sensitivity that will power on your monitor when it detects noise/crying above the set threshold. This VOX feature together with the large re-chargeable battery allows the baby monitor to continue for between 6 to 10 hours on full charge.
- NIGHT VISION AND LULLABIES: Non-visible IR LEDS allow you to clearly view your baby from up to 15 feet in the dark. The non-visible infrared light doesn’t emit a red glow, which lets your baby rest peacefully. Lull your baby to sleep with a built-in night light and 5 preset lullaby melodies.
The final product on our best travel baby monitor list is the Evoz Vision Wi-Fi Video Baby Monitor. It is not impossible to use a monitor that relies on wi-fi when traveling, as long as you know where you are going and that you will have a reliable connection at your destination.
Because this monitor only comes with the camera, there is no need to pack a parent unit, saving you even more space. Just connect the camera to your smartphone or tablet with the Evoz Baby app.
The smart technology used in this monitor will collect data on your child’s activity as well as other factors in your child’s room, including temperature fluctuations and unusual sounds.
- Only comes with a camera to pack
- Collects data from child’s room to play back
- App offers record keeping for milestones and feedings
- Can receive alerts via text or push notification on app
- Allows multiple device connection
- Need reliable wi-fi connection to use when traveling
- Baby monitor app is glitchy at times
- Very expensive for just the camera
- Alerts do not make noise on parent device
- [Updated 2019]-IMPROVED STREAMING AND STABLE CONNECTION. Now enjoy continuous HD video streaming without any interruptions from anywhere, anytime with our all new Evoz Baby App. Our Improved App and updated Firmware offer continuous streaming is now more secure and stable than ever. Using Evoz, your baby can be viewed by more than one person at a time! Easily invite grandparents or sitters to have access to the wi-fi baby monitors app only when they are permitted.
- PATENTED ALERT TECHNOLOGY - The Evoz Vision Wi-Fi Baby Monitor uses cry detection algorithms to distinguish baby cries from other noises. Our patented alert technology can notify you with SMS, email or push alerts when your baby cries based on your personal settings. Access to the picture of what the camera saw when the cry was detected will be captured by the video baby monitor with night vision.
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE AND CLEAR HD VIDEO - The sleek appearance of our video baby monitor with wifi has a stable base and easy wall mounting system for easy setup. See your baby clearly from anywhere with the HD wide-angle lens and IR LEDs so you can view your baby both day and night. The transmitted image to your cellular device will always be pristine. Relax knowing your baby is being watched over.
We looked at some great monitors on this list, but when it comes to the best travel baby monitor, you can’t go wrong with the Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor.
It is the most highly rated monitor we found, and it hits just about every point we feel is necessary for a good portable travel baby monitor. You get complete digital privacy with no wi-fi connection, which is also an important feature when traveling and you don’t have reliable internet connection.
It is compact and easy to pack in just about any bag, and it includes all of the extra features we love in a baby monitor, including temperature sensors, remote camera control, and a decent screen size and battery life.
Last update on 2021-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API