Achieving a healthy sleeping routine for your baby is the parenting equivalent of winning a gold medal. So, when traveling with a baby, it is important to try and preserve your hard-won routine.
Bringing along a travel crib ensures that your baby has a safe, comfy place to sleep. It may not be identical to their nursery crib but it is certainly a much better option than using other unfamiliar crib alternatives.
In this guide, we let you in on some of the best travel crib options and share insights on how to pick the best one for your little one.
- Do You Need a Travel Crib?
- Which is Better: A Travel Crib vs Portable Crib?
- A Quick Comparison of Top Picks
- 13 Best Travel Crib Options Reviewed
- BabyBjörn Travel Crib Light
- Guava Family Lotus Travel Crib
- Baby Joy Baby Foldable Travel Crib
- Flisko 2-in-1 Travel Crib
- Nuna SENA Travel Crib
- 4moms Breeze Plus Portable Playard
- Dream On Me Travel Light Playard
- Munchkin Brica Fold N’ Go Travel Bassinet
- KidCo Peapod Plus Travel Bed
- MiClassic 2-in-1 Stationary & Rock Bassinet
- Fisher-Price On-the-Go Baby Dome
- Joovy Room2 Portable Playard
- Phil and Teds Traveller Crib
- How to Choose a Travel Crib
Traveling with your baby requires that you bring along lots of baby gear for their care – which can get cumbersome. Still, all things considered, a travel crib is certainly a necessity, and here is why.
Most hotels provide sleeping cribs. However, friends and family may have one in their homes.
Subsequently, your baby may have to sleep in an unfamiliar cot or share your bed. The latter can be, particularly, regressive if you have just mastered how to get baby to sleep in crib. A travel crib easily solves these challenges as it keeps things familiar.
Not every crib you find at a hotel or your family home may be age-appropriate for your baby. Bringing your own may, therefore, save your baby the discomfort of sleeping in a space that is too small and possibly even unsafe for them.
Health experts recommend cribs as a safer sleeping option for babies.  Unlike shared beds, cribs allow babies to sleep comfortably and minimize the risk of their airways getting obstructed or them rolling off the bed when they are napping in your absence.
You may have little or no control over your baby’s sleep hygiene when using hotel cribs or other unfamiliar sleeping arrangements.
It would be much safer to bring along your own travel crib and crib sheets that you are certain will not have any adverse effects on your baby.
It can be tricky to create a safe and fun play area to keep the baby busy as you lounge by the pool or take part in other outdoor activities.
Fortunately, some portable travel cribs can double up as a travel pack n play where your baby can safely enjoy their favorite toys outdoors.
A travel crib has a compact lightweight structure. It can be folded and packed as hand luggage during air travel or into a backpack during other excursions.
It comes with a cozy mattress and has breathable mesh panels that keep your baby safe but also allow a free flow of air.
On the other hand, a portable travel crib has a slightly heavier structure and can be a bit difficult to tag along across airports or hotel lobbies.
They are, however, foldable and are usually easy to collapse or set up. They also come with a mattress but it is usually thin and generally not as comfy as that of a travel crib.
To sum it up, a travel crib would be a great idea if you need a crib option that is easy to carry during all kinds of travel and can keep your baby comfortable as they sleep. It is more appropriate for indoor use and firm ground outdoor areas.
In contrast, a portable traveler crib may be a better solution if you need a safe play space for your baby or daytime napping area. It may also be better-suited for road trips as opposed to air travel given its weight.
The BabyBjörn travel crib light has an impressively lightweight 13-pound structure. It is recommended for babies from birth to the age of 3. If you prefer to go by weight limits, this travel crib is safe for little ones that weigh between 8 to 33 pounds.
Notably, this travel crib comes with a comfy PU foam mattress. My favorite part, however, is that both the mattress cover and crib fabric are machine-washable.
- Setup and folding procedure are a breeze as the parts automatically click into place
- Frame is very light but bears weight well
- Mesh sides allow easy monitoring
- Mattress delivers ample comfort
- Folds up to the size of a small suitcase which can be a bit cumbersome if you have lots of luggage
- No side window and can be a bit closed off for a play space
- Simple to set up and fold up
- Easy to take with you
- Soft and comfy mattress. Mattress is High-resilient PU foam
Right off the bat, the Guava Family Lotus travel crib earns massive points due to how compact it is when folded.
Plus, it comes with a backpack that makes it super convenient for picnics or making your way across an airport.
It weighs 11 pounds and is suitable for babies from 0 to 3 years. It comes with a mattress but you would have to buy the crib sheets separately.
You may be interested in: How Many Crib Sheets Do I Need?
- Comes with GreenGuard certification which indicates that it is free of toxic chemicals
- Zipper door is lockable and allows baby to safely crawl in and out of the crib or for you to slip in your hand
- Compact and lightweight design makes it highly portable
- Mesh fabric enclosure is durable
- Setup process is simple but it may take a few tries to get used to it
- Mattress is rather thin and may get uncomfortable after short-term use
- WORRY-FREE AIRPORT TRAVEL - Designed to be easy to fly with the compact, light backpack carrying case. Set up is simple in 15 seconds and only weighs 15 lbs packed.
The Baby Joy travel crib is unique in that it requires almost no setup. You only need to take it out of its bag and press one button and it is good to go. Further, this pack and play crib weighs only 11 pounds.
It may surprise you that the nice plush mattress rests on the floor when this crib is set up.
However, that is the actual design of the crib and the mattress is thick enough to keep baby cozy. Nevertheless, I would still adhere to the 33 pounds baby weight limit for safety.
- Easy to set up
- Sides of the crib are made of detachable mesh fabric that you can take off for a wash
- Mesh features a crawl-out window for playtime or bonding sessions at bedtime.
- Folds relatively easily, and fits well in its carrying bag
- Does not fold very smoothly
- Frame may not remain very sturdy once your baby gets heavier and more active
- Portable and Foldable Design: No need to assemble, our travel crib is ready to go out of the box. And you can quickly fold it in the carrying bag without any extra tools. The compact design and light weight allow you to put it in the trunk of your car and bring it to trains and planes as you travel.
- Multifunctional Playpen: Our foldable crib is spacious enough for babies from 0 to 3 years old. It can not only be a place for babies to sleep, but also a place for mothers and babies to play games together. And the mattress has a soft and thick sponge that makes your baby sleep more comfortable and is the best gift for your baby.
- Mesh Cloth Design & Zipper Door: Our travel crib is designed with full-height mesh cloth design for strong visibility, allowing you to see your baby, and baby to see you! And the soft and breathable mesh is good for air circulation and avoids sultry heat. With zipper door design, it can be easily opened to help baby get in and out more conveniently.
The Flisko 2-in-1 travel crib is a highly versatile travel crib. It comes with a bassinet insert that you can use in the infant stage and later take out to make room for a toddler.
You can also use it as a portable baby bed or turn it into a playpen by opening up the mesh window on the side. To set it up, you only need to unfold the frame and the legs will click into place. It folds back just as easily too.
- A custom crib sheet is provided for a proper fit
- Insulated mattress is durable
- Carry bag is convenient and works as both a case and backpack
- Dependable frame makes it ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- Pure polyurethane foam mattresses emit VOCs
- Crib sheet is not waterproof and thus may allow spills to sit into the mattress
- STURDY, SAFE DESIGN: The bassinets supportive structure and solid frame keeps your baby safe at all times. It is constructed from high-quality rugged materials that prevent hazardous collapsing or involuntary folding. No heavy metals, lead or other non-safe elements are used during the production of this item.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & EASILY PORTABLE: The portable baby crib’s comfortable lifting weight and small size is perfect for when you’re on the go. Its sleek design and foldable mechanism are ideal for travel and storage. When folded, the traveling bassinet is perfectly sized to fit into your car, aircraft and hotel room. To keep your hands free while traveling, the carry case converts to a comfortable backpack
- SWIFT & SIMPLE ASSEMBLY: For utmost convenience, the crib does not require extensive setup and can be stored away or reassembled in mere minutes. Just snap the bassinet’s frame in place and the crib is ready for use. Easily collapsible as well, it takes just seconds to pack away or reassemble, without any stress or complicated steps.
The Nuna SENA travel crib offers all the thoughtful features the Nuna brand is known for.
Its stylish 8-legged frame is made of aluminum and is clad in mesh fabric. This, coupled with its skid-proof feet, keep it still even when your baby gets a little active in the crib.
This Nuna travel crib is quite spacious and would be great for a toddler. However, if you would like a smaller alternative for an infant, consider getting the Nuna Sena Aire Mini.
- Mattress sheet has a zip-off design and is machine washable
- Can be used as a portable traveler crib or as an outdoor playpen
- One-hand pop-up crib setup is simple and convenient
- Mattress is well-ventilated and comparable to the highly recommended Newton Baby crib mattress
- Folds into a flat but slightly long package
- Generous design size makes it hard to use in small spaces
- Travel bag included with easy carry handle
- Water-resistant, durable fabric resists stains, drips and tears
- Eight leg design provides double the durability and stability
- Converts easily from bassinet to play yard
The 4moms Breeze Plus portable playard is an upgrade from the previous model. Its new design seeks to make using a play yard much easier with features like a one-push open and one-pull close for setting up and collapsing the crib, respectively.
If you are looking for great value and multiple functionalities, this may be the best baby travel bed for you.
It comes with a mattress, a detachable flip-changer, and bassinet for infants. The mattress is water-resistant and you can also get a 4moms waterproof playard sheet for extra protection.
- Easy to set up or collapse the play yard
- Free travel bag is provided and the entire set has a 1-year warranty
- Accessories make it possible to use the crib at different ages
- Mattress can be adjusted to fit the bassinet or the crib area
- At 23 pounds, this playard is heavier than most travel cots
- The size of this travel crib may not be ideal for small spaces
The Dream On Me Travel Light is recommended for use for your baby’s first year and has a weight limit of 36 pounds.
The aluminum frame is built to hold steady as your baby plays or sleeps. It is draped in breathable mesh and with a nylon fabric base at the bottom.
The whole structure is not only durable but can also easily be wiped down with soap and water and aired out to dry.
- Compact design but is reasonably spacious
- Mattress is thick and comfortable enough for an all-night’s rest
- A lightweight portable baby crib and folds well enough for air travel
- Frame can be locked to prevent the crib from spontaneously popping open or closed
- Mesh fabric cannot be removed for cleaning
- Your child will likely outgrow it early on in the toddler phase
- TRAVEL READY: The Travel Light sets up and folds down in minutes making it the ideal travel companion for infants and toddlers. It is perfect for vacationing. It folds up flat and can be stored in its durable carry bag.
- COMFORTABLE FOR BABY: The Travel Light Playard comes with a soft mattress, so your child can play easily in it. Explore the Dream on Me Range of Playard mattresses for the perfect fit. The Travel Light is available in 4 stylish finishes.
- BREATHABLE MESH: The Playard sides are made of soft, airy mesh fabric that allow your baby to breathe easily. The see-through fabric helps you keep an eye on your baby and allows your LO to look out.
The Munchkin Brica Fold N’ Go Travel Bassinet would be a good addition if you are torn between a travel bassinet vs crib for your newborn.
It offers all the benefits of both as your baby can nap and play in it but it is more lightweight and travel-friendly. It comes with a water-resistant mattress pad and a soft fitted sheet. The bassinet frame is firm and has all-around breathable mesh sides.
- Bassinet has a safety T-lock system that clicks into place to confirm it is well set up
- Takes up very little room and can be used in the car or when sharing bedroom with baby
- A lightweight bassinet may be much safer during postpartum recovery
- Easy to carry around and can help you stick to your journey when sleep training baby
- This mini travel crib is only suitable for newborn babies
- Structure can be unsteady when placed on high or uneven surfaces
- Safe, durable, lightweight travel pod for infants
- Breathable mesh panels, removable and locking steel frame provide comfort and security
- Folds flat for storage and weighs less than 3 lbs. for easy transport
The KidCo Peapod Plus is a travel bed for infants and toddlers. It only weighs 3.5 pounds but is recommended for babies between 1- 5 years.
The frame is clad in mesh fabric with some parts of the mesh being opaque while others are see-through. I find this helpful as some infants and toddlers get roused by light so the opaque bits could help shield them from it.
- Large zipper feature provides easy access to your child.
- Mesh fabric keeps the sleeping pod breathable and offers UV protection.
- Interior part of these portable cribs for toddlers comes pre-fitted with a mattress pad that is machine washable.
- The roomier design of this KidCo Peapod Plus could easily serve your baby throughout their toddler years.
- Materials used to make the frame are not very durable; the design seems to prioritize being lightweight over longevity
- Mattress pad is thin and can be uncomfortable on hard surfaces
- Setup is engineered to be lightweight, and pops open, immediately ready for use
- Travel bed tent is perfect for your little one’s nap time or playtime during down times, so let them rest and play safely while you recuperate
- Keep them from getting sunburnt with the shading material that has a 50-percent UV protection
The MiClassic 2-in-1 Stationary & Rock Bassinet has a 2-in-1 design. It can be used in rocking or stationary mode.
I laud this feature as it would make it easier to lull baby to sleep especially in unfamiliar surroundings.
It only takes a one-hand pull to fold up the bassinet. Switching from rocker mode to a still sleeper is also easy as you only need to fold the feet in or keep them flat.
- Mattress pad is water-resistant to guard against spills
- Rocker and still sleeping options offer more value and utility
- Crib legs can be taken off for a more compact fold during travel
- Elevated bassinet design makes it more ideal for co-sleeping than a typical unelevated bassinet
- You will probably only be able to use this bassinet for 5 to 6 months
- Newborns may require some supervision if the bassinet is in rocker mode; they could gradually be moved into an uncomfortable position
- MiClassic 2in1 bassinet is designed with quick folding system, which makes it is easy for storage.
- Surrounded by breathable mesh walls all around for maximum breathability and visibility.
- A lightweight construction makes the bassinet easy to move and it is convenient for travelling.
This travel mini crib could add some fun and flexibility to your and your baby’s schedule. It can be used for naps or as a newborn pack n play both indoors and outdoors. The canopy is breathable and, more importantly, offers UPF 20 protection against sun rays.
Fisher-Price strictly recommends the On-the-Go Baby Dome for infants. They also offer a mattress pad and two baby-safe play toys to help your little one hone their motor skills.
- Dome folds into a flat package that is easy to carry along
- Mesh fabric around the some keeps it serene and cool enough inside for baby to sleep
- Mattress pad is thick enough for the dome to remain comfortable on different surfaces
- Lightweight structure and compact fold augur with travel
- Circular design is space-saving but your baby may outgrow it quite fast
- Mesh fabric cannot be removed for cleaning
- 2-in-1, play space & napping spot for baby
- Can be used indoors or out
- Adjustable canopy protects against bugs & sun (UPF 20)
The Joovy Room2 Portable playard may just be what you have been looking for if you are a parent to multiples. It measures about 10 square feet and has a steady build to provide enough room and stability to keep your little ones safe.
This Room2 model comes with front wheels for easy portability even when the babies are in it. The mesh fabric offers them a full view of their surroundings and also makes it a safe space to sleep or play.
- Play yard is spacious and can comfortably host more than one baby
- Crib sheet is 100% cotton which is less likely to trigger allergies
- Comes with a zippered case for easy storage or travel
- Sturdy enough for infants and toddlers
- Mattress thin pad may not be the best crib mattress to support the weight of 2 babies
- Structure is rather heavy
- Support two babies from 0M plus up to 35” tall
- Compact fold with travel bag
- Large mesh windows provide a 360° view in and out
This is one of few globally certified foldable baby cribs. It weighs a stunningly light 6 pounds and also has a unique shape that is narrow at the top and wider at the base to create more room for your little bundle to play and rest.
In keeping with its dynamic design, the Phil and Teds Traveller Crib comes with an inflatable mattress which makes it all the more travel friendly. It is recommended for children up to the age of 2.
- Made of OKEO-TEX fabrics hence free of toxic chemicals
- Offers extended use from infancy to toddler years
- Light and designed to fit in overhead plane, train, or bus compartments
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- Mattress pad is not plush enough to remain comfortable when the crib is on hard surfaces
- Frame is a little too exposed and has no padding; a child could easily bump themselves on it
- LIGHT & SUPER COMPACT FOR TRAVEL - at only 6lbs its lighter than the baby!
- INSIDE/OUTSIDE USE - at home, at the beach, waiting for the train or plane
- OKEO-TEX CERTIFIED FABRICS - so gentle on baby's skin
With so many options at your disposal, it is easy to become uncertain when choosing a travelling crib for baby.
Here are some key factors you could consider to ensure that you make the right pick.
Aim for a baby travel crib with enough space, breathability, and a well-padded mattress.
More so if you are looking for a travel crib for all-night sleeping. Options like the BabyBjörn travel crib score quite highly in this regard.
Travel fatigue can be exasperating and so, it would be best to spare yourself the headache of having to deal with a portable travel crib that is difficult to deploy.  Look out for options that you can open and fold with ease.
Children are fragile all through their developmental stages. As such, try and prioritize portable cribs for toddlers and infants that are certified by regulators like OKEO-TEX and GreenGuard as they are carefully tested for safety.
Consider other safety features such as structural stability, proper air circulation, and a firm crib mattress too.
Travel cribs vary in design as you may have gleaned from the reviews above. Some are playards, while others are bassinets, or travel beds.
Further reading: Bassinet vs Crib
Weigh your options to decide whether you need just one of these functionalities or would prefer multiple utilities like those of the 4moms Breeze Plus portable playard.
How much would you like to spend on a travel crib? The answer to this question would help you narrow down your list to options within your ballpark range.
Go further and examine which of them gives you better value for money in terms of features and durability, before making your choice.
Each of these baby brands has gone the extra mile to make their crib, playard, or baby bed portable. The only question is which one of them suits your baby, budget, and travel needs.
If I had to pick my best portable crib, I would say the Nuna SENA travel crib. It is comfortable, easy to use, safe, and durable enough to keep around for babies to come.
Did you find a travel crib you would like to invest in? Do let me know in the comments. Until the next time, I hope this helps enrich your parenting experience.
Last update on 2022-10-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API