When it comes to transporting your small infants from one place to another, we seek the help of baby strollers. Today, there are tons of options out there. With the plethora of choices, I feel like it is better for us, as parents, to choose the best umbrella stroller recommended here.
Why? It provides safety, eases movements, and most importantly, offers comfort to our precious children.
My overall top pick goes to Summer Infant 3DLite Convenience Stroller as I appreciate the ample storage and smooth steering apart from its lightweightness, but there are other options that may appeal to you in their functionality.
Let us take a look at the list.
What is Umbrella Stroller?
Do you know what umbrella stroller is? Unlike the regular baby stroller, an umbrella stroller is a much more compact. They are very easy to fold and carry around. The handles look like the handles of an umbrella – hence, the name!
I prefer this type of stroller to carry my children around whenever I am out shopping or run errands in town. With a single hand, I can take it out of the car boot, put my child in, and off I go to handle my usual business.
Why Should You Choose the Best Umbrella Stroller?
Firstly, you should know that there are many types of strollers. According to Baby Gears Guide, there are:
- Regular, full-sized baby strollers
- Jogging strollers
- Double-seat strollers
- Travel system strollers
- Umbrella strollers
Now, why do you need to choose umbrella stroller? Below are the reasons.
Ideal for Short Trips
For short trips purpose, I prefer umbrella strollers. Unlike the other types, umbrella strollers are not bulky.
If you are a mother who always out and about with your little child alone, it can be difficult to handle full-sized strollers single-handedly.
With an average weight of 10 lbs to 19 lbs, an umbrella stroller allows you to hold your infant in one hand and use another to open the car boot, take it out, release the latch, and the stroller will be ready!
Can you imagine spending hundreds of dollars on a stroller and have it breaks or gets crooked few weeks after that?
It is a waste of money, and you will need to make another unnecessary shopping trip to get a new one.
So, the best strollers must be sturdy and of a high quality. The strollers in this article provide premium quality at a fair price. You can expect to use it for many years to come, one child after another!
Storage and Canopy
Even though umbrella strollers are basic in functionality, some brands do provide extra features like storage compartment and large canopy.
Parents will find these features useful. You can tuck bottles, small toys, and gadgets in the basket.
Plus, if you are out during a hot day, you can adjust the canopy to protect your child from the heat and bright light.
Umbrella strollers usually come with a seatbelt or harness. The best harness should have a 5-point feature to secure our child tightly and comfortably.
The two points will come from the shoulder strap and another three from the sides and below.
It will avoid your child from falling or slipping out if you happen to tip the stroller over when you hit obstacles accidentally.
Things to Look for When Buying Umbrella Strollers
To make your choosing easier, I have come up with a list of stuff to look for when purchasing an umbrella stroller for your child.
What you can do is to print this best umbrella stroller list out, take it to the store, test the stroller yourself and make an informed decision. You will find your investment well worth it!
- The stroller must be compact when folded
- The used materials (steel and linen) must be of high quality
- The handles should be long and ergonomic
- The lock and release latches should be easy to operate
- The wheels must be big enough and stable when spinning
- The wheels must come with safety brakes
- The weight should not be too heavy (ideally between 10 to 19 lbs)
- The harness must be adjustable and stable
- The seat should be padded and adjustable
- There should be some storage compartments
- The canopy should be big
- The stroller should move forward and backward smoothly
Even if you are shopping online, consider the items above before making a purchase.
Is it Suitable for Small Babies?
Keep in mind that umbrella strollers are not suitable for infants under six months old. The seats of the stroller are non-adjustable to a fully horizontal position. They should use regular strollers instead.
You can also refer to Whattoexpect.com at this link if you would like to know more how to keep the stroller safe for your baby.
5 Best Umbrella Stroller You Should Consider
Now, let’s go ahead and find out what is the best umbrella stroller that you can buy for your kids.
1. Summer Infant 3DLite Convenience Stroller
There is a reason why Summer Infant 3DLite Convenience Stroller is loved by many. In fact, it is the best-seller umbrella stroller on Amazon!
It has also become my favorite for three top reasons: affordable price, premium durability, and easy maneuvering.
Do you know 3DLite umbrella stroller uses a solid aluminum frame? When you purchase it for your first child, you can hand it down to the little brother or sister! It is practical and economical.
Plus, many users complimented the weight. At only 13 lbs, you can use and operate this stroller alone without needing help from others.
- Smooth running with the anti-shock wheels
- Comfortable with soft and foam-padded handles
- Very safe with 5-point harness
- Ample of storage
- The canopy should be longer and bigger
- No shoulder pad for the seat belts
- LIGHTWEIGHT – A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier! The Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller has a durable aluminum frame that weighs just 13 pounds and has a large seat area, plus anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels.
- FOR TRAVEL AND EVERYDAY – Whether you’re traveling or just on the go running everyday errands, having a lightweight, compact stroller is a must! With this one easy to use stroller, you’ll have both an everyday and travel stroller option.
- 4-POSITION RECLINE – Keep your little one comfortable and safe at all times with the 4 position recline and 5 point safety harness. Maximum weight and height of child for this toddler stroller: 50 pounds and 43 inches.
2. Kolcraft Cloud Umbrella Stroller
When we purchase the best umbrella stroller, we will enjoy the best features –offered by Kolcraft Cloud Umbrella Stroller.
Like Summer Infant 3DLite, Kolcraft Cloud is another top-selling baby stroller. Hundreds of users have purchased it, and about half of them rated it as a 5-star stroller!
Why? Well, firstly, I loved the sturdy build of this stroller. You can feel the robustness of the structures and components on this baby buggy.
Plus, at about 11 lbs, you can lift and carry it with a single hand – very convenient!
Another reason why I recommend this stroller is its large sun visor. It is perfect if you are always in the outdoor, either having a picnic at the park or simply strolling around town.
The canopy will provide your toddler the much-needed protection from the sun!
- Easy to fold and carry
- Long and well-made canopy
- Mesh back provides cool seating
- Comes with a cup holder
- Very compact when folded
- Some users said the stroller is too short
- Only has 3-point harness
- Limited reclining position
Read more on full review on Kolcraft Cloud Umbrella Stroller
- LIGHTWEIGHT – Travel-friendly lightweight design (only 9.5 lbs), perfect for traveling and day trips
- LARGE CANOPY – Extended sun canopy and rear hood provide more sun coverage and UV protection.
- EASY FOLD -- Simple and compact 1-step fold makes travel a breeze.
3. Baby Trend Rocket Lightweight Stroller
If safety is your primary concern – just like me – then you might find Baby Trend Rocket Lightweight Stroller excellent. Two main features of this product make it a top choice amongst parents.
On the seat, there are well-made 5-point harnesses that will hold your child firmly even on a rough road surface. The belt string is also well-designed and thick.
None of us like a thin and cheap-looking harness, right?
Why? It has many storage compartments! There are a nylon cup and cell phone holders on top and a small basket slot at the bottom.
- Lightweight at 12.5 lbs
- Stay put after folded with the parking brakes
- Tall stroller
- Affordable at under $60
- Useful pocket pouch
- The seat is non-adjustable
- The sun visor is not big enough
- The wheels are shaky and quite flimsy
- Comfort-grip Handle and parent organizer tray
- Dual foot activated parking brake and a parent organizer with 2 cup holders
- Large canopy and basket; Baby trend rocket stroller will accommodate your growing child up to 50 pounds
4. Chicco Capri Lightweight Stroller
Here comes another best umbrella stroller for you to consider – the stylish and Italian-made Chicco Capri Lightweight Stroller!
The reason why I love this brand, and I think you will enjoy it too, is its stable structure. You can’t go wrong with anodized aluminum frame, can you? There is no plastic and cheap materials used here. Many users can attest to its strength and durability!
Even though it is robust, it is not heavy at all! You will find it easy as it is only 11 pounds in weight.
Plus, I bet you will also love the reclining seat and high-quality wheels. Your son or daughter will seat comfortably while the stroller runs smoothly on just about any types of surfaces.
If you travel a lot, consider this stroller!
- Very durable with the high-quality frame
- Provides 15 degrees of recline position
- Lightweight and compact
- Ample length of sun visor
- Smooth handling even on paved roads
- The back wheels have faulty designs – difficult to walk behind the stroller
- The harness belt is too short
- The wheels can get wobbly after a while
- Wheel brakes are too loose
- Lightweight, aluminum frame, only 11 pounds. Open Dimensions: 31.75L x 18.75H x 40.25W inches, Folded Dimensions: 10.2L x 8.07H x 45.5W inches, Front wheel diameter: 5.75 inches, Rear wheel diameter: 5.75 inches.
- Rounder, roomier canopy, adjustable and removable;Storage basket
- All wheel suspension and front wheel swivel locks, take it . Fashionable carry bag and carry strap, easy to transport
5. Chicco Capri Lightweight Stroller
If you are looking for the best umbrella stroller for your kids, here is another option, the UPPABaby G-Lite Stroller. This brand has been rated highly by hundreds of users on Amazon.
Design wise, G-Lite stroller goes for the simple and minimalistic look. The full mesh back prevents heating inside the stroller.
However, it has features like the SPF 50+ Sunshade (who doesn’t love an extra sunscreen protection, right?), easy to remove and wash fabrics, large canopy, and super lightweight stroller at only 10 lbs.!
Now, this is not a versatile stroller that has every little thing, but it should be enough to transport your child from the car to the airport (yes, you can take an umbrella stroller onto the plane!), store or malls.
I appreciate the compact frame and the shoulder strap. It is very easy to carry!
- Lightweight and robust aluminum frame
- Highly portable with shoulder strap
- The canopy is wide and long
- Sturdy wheels
- Compact when folded
- Handles and seats are not adjustable
- The seating is too vertical
- Need to use two hands to fold and release
- 2017 G-LITE model
- Hand-level folding triggers - no foot action required
- Extendable SPF 50+ sunshade
Conclusion – Choose Wisely, Be Happy!
There are five top selections for you to consider but if you still need help to pick one, I recommend you to buy Summer Infant 3DLite Convenience Stroller (my favorite!).
Many users have complimented its durability, versatility, and safety.
The price is not over the top. Plus, the frame is sturdy, the wheels come with anti-shock features, handy pocket storage, and the 5-point harness will keep your child secure in the seat.
With the lightweight structure, you will find no issue handling it alone. Need more convincing? Your little child will love the padded seat, multiple reclining positions, and adjustable canopy.
With these well-thought features, he or she will sleep soundly in the stroller as you walk about in the mall, bank, shops, or strolling with your family at your vacation destination!
Last update on 2021-03-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API