As a mom or a dad, we all want to know whether our baby is sleeping fine at night. We try to prepare the best nursery room with an ideal ambiance, but there is no way we can control whether they are breathing or their heart is beating.
However, there’s one thing we can do to get that peace of mind (or reduce our paranoid!) – track and monitor their breathing pattern. One of the best products for you to try? The Mimo Smart Baby Movement Monitor. In this Mimo Baby Monitor real Review, I will share its design, quality, and performance!
Before we proceed with this affordable monitor’s features, here is the Mimo Baby monitor at a glance:
- Real-time tracking of baby’s breathing.
- Great flexibility.
- Compact and lightweight
- Baby-friendly bodysuit that is soft to touch.
- Small size of the baby suit
- Limited coverage.
- Uncomfortable for the baby during tummy time.
SOME BACKGROUND ABOUT THE MIMO BABY BRAND
The Mimo brand of wearable baby monitors is designed by Rest Devices Inc, a Boston-based company. The company launched its first product, the Mimo sleep tracker, in 2014, which was an instant hit. It won numerous awards, including the 2014 engadget Best of CES award. Funded with $1.8 million, the company’s products are available in over 80 countries worldwide.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Smart Baby Movement Monitor
One of the must-have accessories for parents with babies has got to be the smart baby movement monitor. Sure, our parents back in the day did not have this cool gadget, but I am certain if it existed back then, they would get a smart & intelligent baby monitor too!
Why is Mimo smart baby monitor important?
The main question that might be playing on your mind right now is: why in the world should I buy a smart & intelligent baby monitor for my son or daughter?
Well, let me answer it in this Mimo Baby Monitor Real Review – It helps you to detect if there is any abnormality in your little child’s breathing pattern. It is especially important because you will not be awake the whole night to carefully watch your little one’s breathing or sleep pattern.
This advanced baby monitor is handy to have. These days, you can make use of your home Wi-Fi connection or Bluetooth to collect data from the sensor to your smartphone.
So, the next time you think your baby is having a health problem, you can show this data (which represented in a very easy-to-understand format and graphic visual) to your doctor.
Having said that, I think parents who have a baby with health complications should consider using a smart baby monitor at home.
Important Criteria of The Best Smart Baby Movement Monitor
But, before you go ahead and splurge on this monitoring technology, let us see some of the important criteria you need to consider on a smart baby monitor as outlined in this Mimo baby monitor review.
- Sensor and smartphone/tablet smooth integration – you need to make sure that the monitor you are buying can communicate well to your smartphone. It should also be able to transmit and store data accurately.
- Not too invasive for your child – since your baby needs to get his sleep, there is no use of getting a sensor that is bulky and intrusive. It should be small, lightweight and unnoticeable.
- Less wire to avoid tangle – between wired and wireless option, the latter is better for the sake of your baby’s safety (i.e. avoid strangulation).
- Secure data transmission – since you will be sending sensitive data to your smartphone, you should ensure the technology is encrypted. The two-way radio communication should be highly secure.
- User-friendliness – You should be able to set up and use the baby monitor without much difficulty. The Mimo baby monitor comes with a user manual that makes the installation rather easy.
- Range – The baby monitor should have a good range so that even if you move the baby from the base station, you should be able to track the baby’s breathing pattern and activities.
Introducing – Mimo Smart Baby Movement Monitor
In this Mimo Baby Monitor review, I will bring your focus to the model called Mimo Baby Activity Tracker.
So, what does it do? It collects your baby’s movement while sleeping, alerts you when he’s not moving for a given period, and send heart rate data to your smartphone with the help of the smart bed sheet and turtle-shaped sensor.
The data is transferable via a Low Energy Bluetooth which is a unique feature of this smart baby product. With the purchase, you will get the smart sheet, turtle sensor, Lilypad (the charging base), wire, and plug.
It is a sibling model of another similar Mimo baby movement sensor product called Mimo Smart Baby Breathing & Activity Monitor that comes in the shape of a wearable baby onesie. It comes with the same accessories as I already mentioned above. We will talk briefly about it along the way.
Mimo Baby Activity Tracker is perfect for you and other parents who do not wish to apply any sensor directly on their baby’s body.
Things We Liked
- Simple design and non-invasive for baby with the crib sheet design
- Detect baby’s breathing and movement pattern accurately
- Easy to setup even for first-time users
- Affordable price
- Can capture body position, temperature, and live audio
Things We Didn’t Liked
- The Lilypad base sometimes fails to charge the turtle sensor
- Do not offer video capture
- Can fail to collect data if your baby moves outside of the sheet
MIMO BABY MONITOR REVIEW: FeatureS OF MIMO SMART ACTIVITY TRACKER
1. Stylish design
One of the best features of this Mimo Smart Baby Monitor is its sleek design, high-quality material and baby-friendly approach.
Now, Mimo is one of the household names in the Mimo smart baby monitoring system industry. They have several high-quality (not forget to mention cool-looking) sensor devices under their portfolio.
With such experience, they know that they need to create a product that looks pretty for a child to use and made of durable hard plastic materials to ensure the baby will not break the gadget that costs hundreds of dollars.
The turtle sensor design is brilliant because first, it is cute. Secondly and most importantly, it is sturdy and durable. A drop on the floor will not easily break the turtle shell!
2. Smart baby crib sheet that captures accurate data
Mimo smart baby monitor is a washable crib sheet which can capture body position and more! Unlike the regular one that you can purchase at Walmart or Target, this smart baby crib sheet comes with a transmitter and movement sensor in a shape of a turtle.
I think the company has done an excellent job in designing the product as it is very intuitive and user-friendly. You just have to put this smart sheet in your baby cot and have your babies sleep on it at night.
The transmitter will then capture your child’s heart rate, body temperature, sleeping position in real-time and transfer this data to your Apple or Android smartphones. Can you imagine doing all these yourself at night? Me neither (which is why a real Mimo monitor review like this helps)!
3. Stable and safe Bluetooth technology
Another feature that has caught my attention is the low-powered Bluetooth connection installed in this model of Mimo Smart Monitor.
Instead of going to the regular route, the company has opted to use a safer Bluetooth technology for babies.
Now, we might not see the advantage today, but later down the road, we have protected our kids from hazardous wavelengths!
But do not underestimate this ultra-low power Bluetooth as it is still capable of transferring accurate data from the transmitter to your smartphone or tablet!
4. Free mobile apps with graphic data representation
One of the essential elements of the best baby monitor technology is its ability to deliver the data in a way that you can easily understand.
I mean, we parents do not have much time to peruse and analyze statistical data. It is when Mimo baby app comes to the rescue, and I’ll tell you how it works in this review on Mimo baby monitor.
After you purchase this Mimo Activity Tracker, you can download the Mimo app from Apple Store or Google Play.
Setting up the mobile app is super easy. Just make sure you have the turtle set on the Lilypad base.
You can setup your account and adjust the notification setting as you like. Once activated, you will start to receive alerts on several things: position, activity, temperature and baby’s breathing rate.
Another cool thing about the Mimo app is that you can choose what kind of your baby’s position would you like to be alerted; either your child is sleeping on the back, side, stomach or sitting upright.
5. Cool integration with Nest Home Automation System
If you are a geek parent who happens to have Nest home system, then this smart baby monitor is ideal for you.
You can integrate this Mimo tracker with your Nest Learning Thermostat to adjust the room temperature and NestCam to get a visual look at your baby.
With such integration, you have just turned your cute one’s room into one smart nursery!
Another Mimo PRODUCT Review: the Mimo Smart Baby Breathing & Activity Monitor
Remember we promised to go through the Mimo Smart Baby Breathing & Activity Monitor for a bit? Here’s what we think about this model apart from the similarities with the Mimo Smart Activity Tracker:
Ease of use: The Mimo monitor is easy to set up and use. All you have to do is to make the baby wear the kimono and attach the turtle to the lily pad. The turtle makes use of Bluetooth low energy to send the signals to the base station from where the data is sent to the cloud. You can then download the Mimo app and access the data in your phone.
High-quality material: The turtle and the lily pad base station are made of high-quality plastic manufactured in the USA. It does not break even if it falls on the floor. The machine-washable kimono is made of 100% cotton that is soft and baby-friendly, and it is available in 2 sizes — for 0-3 months old and 6-12 months.
- Real-time monitoring
- Can be accessed from all smartphones
- Great flexibility:
- Baby-friendly bodysuit that is machine-washable
- Bodysuit is rather small
- Uncomfortable position of the turtle
- Pricier than Mimo Smart Activity Tracker
While this is supposed to be about Mimo baby monitor review, it doesn’t hurt to know a few more alternatives to compare and know which model is best for you! So here you go:
Owlet Smart Sock 2
Owlet Smart Sock 2 is a similar baby monitoring system that helps to track vital signs on your little one. But, instead of using a crib sheet, it is connected to a pair of socks and helps you track the baby’s heart rate and oxygen level. The device collects the data and then sends it through Bluetooth to a base station. The information is then made available on the Owlet app.
The main difference between this product and the Mimo Monitor is that while the former tracks the baby’s heart rate and oxygen level, the latter tracks the sleep and activity. The socks are an ideal device for those who want to keep track of the baby’s overall well-being.
The price of this smart sock is higher than Mimo’s model though. This smart sock is available in green and pink (you can get the pink Owlet Smart Sock 2 Baby Monitor here).
Read more: Owlet Baby Monitor Review
Owlet Smart Baby Monitor Vs Mimo Monitor
- Owlet is attached to socks, whereas Mimo is attached to a bodysuit
- Owlet tracks the babys’ heart rate and oxygen level and Mimo tracks the sleep and activity.
- Owlet is more expensive than Mimo
- Know your baby is okay: Track your baby's heart rate and oxygen levels while they sleep using clinically-proven pulse oximetry, and be notified if something appears to be wrong. Have complete peace of mind knowing you can keep track of your baby's heart rate and oxygen levels from anywhere.
- Worry less and sleep better: The Smart Sock connects to a base station that glows green letting you know everything is okay, but uses lights, sounds and app notifications if heart rate or oxygen levels are too high or too low. Parents can sleep better and have less anxiety knowing they'll be made aware if levels go outside of preset zones.
- Convenient, easy-to-use: Each unit includes 3 washable socks that comfortably wrap around the baby's foot and connect to a base station up to 100 ft. away without wires. Socks fit most infants from 0-18 months or 6-25 pounds and should be hand washed regularly and alternated from right to left foot each night. Always keep the base station at least three feet away from your baby's crib.
MonBaby Movement Monitor
Monbaby Movement Monitor is another excellent baby monitoring device that tracks data like breathing rate and your child’s rollover positions. It uses a button type of device as a sensor. You just need to snap it on your baby’s clothes whenever your child goes to sleep.
What sets the Monbaby movement monitor apart from Mimo activity monitor is the detachable sensor. You can attach the sensor to any part of the baby’s clothing, and not necessarily the chest or tummy.
Price wise, it is slightly more. It is small, quite accurate, and provides well-designed mobile apps that you can install on your smartphone.
Monbaby Movement Monitor Vs Mimo monitor
- The Monbaby monitor can be attached to any part of the baby clothing. A Mimo monitor can be attached only to the kimono.
- The Monbaby monitor is a lifelong investment. Mimo should be changed once the baby outgrows the bodysuit.
- Monbaby is slightly more expensive than Mimo Activity Tracker
- STAY CONNECTED TO YOUR BABY'S BREATHING: Pause in breathing movement will be detected by a highly sensitive sensor and an alarm will be sent to your smartphone
- IMMEDIATELY KNOW IF BABY ROLLS ONTO THEIR TUMMY: A smart and proactive alternative to you having to check if your baby rolled over onto their stomach while sleeping.
- NO SKIN CONTACT NECESSARY. Only snap-on wearable monitor in baby monitor category.
Sense-U Baby Monitor
The Sense-U Baby Monitor senses the breathing, and rollover movement of the baby and notifies you through the Sense-U app. The device also has a built-in thermometer that detects the temperature around the baby’s body. It makes use of Bluetooth low energy and hence has almost zero radiation level. Thus, it does not cause any harm to the baby.
Though the Mimo breathing and activity monitor can track the breathing and movement of the baby, it cannot detect the surrounding temperature like the Sense-U monitor. This places the Sense-U monitor a step above the Mimo monitor.
Sense-U Monitor Vs Mimo monitor
- A Sense-U monitor is attached to the baby’s diaper, whereas a Mimo monitor is attached to a bodysuit.
- The Sense-U monitor is a lifelong investment. Mimo should be changed once the baby outgrows the bodysuit.
- A Sense-U monitor can detect the surrounding temperature which a Mimo monitor cannot.
- Sense-U monitor is more expensive than Mimo Activity Tracker.
- KNOW YOUR BABY'S BREATHING IS OKAY: Equipped with new clip accessory design and upgraded high-performance sensor chipset, the newest model of Sense-U baby monitor accurately monitors your baby's breathing while they sleep, and notifies you with an audible alarm for weak breathing movement from your smartphone.
- NOTIFY YOU FOR STOMACH SLEEPING: Monitor your baby's sleeping position and notify you when your baby rolls over onto their stomach.
- PROTECT YOUR BABY FROM OVERHEATING & GETTING COLD: Monitor your baby's ambient temperature around their body with a built-in thermometer, and notify you when levels go outside of preset zones.
AngelCare Movement and Sound
AngelCare Movement and Sound Monitor is also a great alternative for you to consider. While the Mimo monitor is attached to a bodysuit, the Angelcare monitor is an under-mattress sensor. It comes in two different components; the sensor pad that you place in your baby’s crib and the monitoring device that you keep with you.
Similar to Mimo, AngelCare detects movement and the room temperature. If it does not catch any movement from your baby, it will send an alert to your portable device. The only thing missing here is that there is no smartphone integration.
Read more: AngelCare Baby Monitor Review
Angelcare Monitor Vs Mimo monitor
- Angelcare monitor is attached below the mattress, whereas the Mimo monitor is attached to a bodysuit.
- The Angelcare monitor is a lifelong investment. Mimo should be changed once the baby outgrows the bodysuit.
- The Angelcare monitor can detect the surrounding temperature which a Mimo monitor cannot.
- The Angelcare monitor makes use of a parenting unit whereas the Mimo makes use of an app.
- Under-the-Mattress Movement Sensor Pad – Senses each and every one of your baby's movements and will sound an alarm if no movement is detected after 20 seconds, so you and baby can sleep tight
- Full Color Digital Display – The easy-to-read screen on the Parent Unit clearly displays Nursery room temperature and Sound Lights, as well as your various settings
- Portable & Rechargeable Parent Unit – Carry the Parent Unit with you from room to room for peace of mind
Social Proof – What Others Say About This Monitor?
I have scoured the internet on your behalf to look at what other moms or dads have got to say about this baby monitor. Let’s check their review on Mimo baby monitor and feedback out:
1. A mom from All About Baby’s World Blog
This mom loves how easy it is to use the Mimo monitor. She likes how she can finally understand her daughter’s breathing pattern and know that her baby is sleeping fine at night!
A review from Loving Mom’s Diary Website
This happy user calls Mimo product as the futuristic baby monitor solution! He also commented that it is ideal for parents who do not co-sleep with their baby.
A Mom from The Megalomaniacmommy.com
Anne, a wife and a mom of 5 said that Mimo Smart Baby is one of the eight essential gadgets that you should have once you become a parent. She said the product is very comfortable for the baby and keeps a detailed historical data on your child’s sleeping behavior.
- Actively supports baby’s breathing
- Clinically developed, tested, and approved in partnership with an advisory panel of leading neonatologists, pediatricians, and orthodontists
- Lateral curve of the nipple evenly distributes the tongue’s pressure against the palate
Conclusion of MIMO Baby Monitor Review
That’s about the Mimo Baby Monitor real and honest alright! Your sleep at night will no longer be restless if you have Mimo Baby Activity Tracker installed in your child’s nursery room. It is reliable enough to alert you in case your little one stops breathing, does not move, or change into a dangerous sleeping position.
You can also listen to the sound inside the room. There is no need for you to get up off your bed and walk to his or her room when you can just listen via the Mimo smart baby device. I think it is a handy monitoring tool to have if you are new parents.
If you are interested to learn more or get it right away, you can check out the product here. That said, hope this review on Mimo Baby Monitor helps!
Last update on 2020-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API