Montessori toddler toys are very specifically-designed toys that have your child’s development in mind. Each toy provides practice in a variety of developmental skills and will help younger children progress.
In this list of Montessori toys for toddlers, we’ve included 15 different Montessori toys for 1 year old and above, that will be beneficial for your child’s development.
- The Maria Montessori Method
- Best Montessori Toys for Toddlers
- 1. Lovevery The Block Set
- 2. Melissa and Doug Rainbow Stacker
- 3. Amazing Child Mini Glass Pitcher
- 4. Naturskool Alphabet Tracing Board
- 5. Boley 12 Piece Safari Animal Set
- 6. Melissa and Doug Dust! Sweep! Mop!
- 7. Democa Montessori Busy Board
- 8. MAGIFIRE Wooden Toddler Puzzles
- 9. Strider 12 Classic Balance Bike
- 10. Melissa and Doug Band-in-a-Box Clap! Clang! Tap!
- 11. Waldorf Wooden Balance Board
- 12. Trihorse Wooden Marble Run
- 13. Costzon Kids Climbing Pikler
- 14. Coogam Wooden Geoboard
- 15. Skoolzy Peg Board Set
- How to Choose the right Montessori toy for Toddlers
The Maria Montessori Method
A Year Older, A Year Bolder!
A toddler is defined as a child between 1 and 4 years of age, who has started to walk.
Between birth and 12 months, children’s development moves at leaps and bounds as they learn to roll over, sit up, crawl, pick things up, and start talking, to name a few.
By the time children reach 18 months they are usually walking and learning how to talk.  The toddler phase makes them more independent and able to follow simple instructions.
Over the next few years toddlers will learn to speak in sentences, dress themselves, and start learning their alphabets, colors, and shapes.
Toddlers are in a “sensitive period”, meaning that they seek out activities that help them develop certain skills. 
At this sensitive period, they are working on developing their gross and fine motor skills, and it’s important to give them activities that will help develop those skills while fostering your parent-child bond.
It’s also important at this phase to introduce activities that will get toddlers started on educational skills. Early math, reading, and writing skills can be introduced through all sorts of toys and games. 
Children this age can learn social and emotional skills such as turn-taking and role-playing through toys and games.
Best Montessori Toys for Toddlers
Note: Materials used in Montessori classrooms and “Montessori toys” are two different things. What we will be referring to in this article are Montessori-inspired toys rather than actual Montessori materials.
1. Lovevery The Block Set
Lovevery’s The Block Set provides hours of unrestricted play, meaning it can be used in a wide variety of ways. The set comes with 70 different kinds of wooden blocks as well as a shape sorting box.
The building blocks provide problem-solving, fine motor skills, and early STEM learning. All of the blocks are made out of solid sustainably-harvested natural wood with water-based non-toxic paint and finish.
- Suitable for a variety of ages
- Made from solid, sustainably-harvested wood
- Safe, non-toxic paint
- Endless play variations make it a playroom staple
- Beautiful and well-made
- Slightly on the pricier side
Lovevery The Block Set
- Possibly the most comprehensive block set ever designed: Science and natural world based system of 70 heirloom-quality pieces in 18 colors, more than a dozen shapes, and a vast array of solid wood components including arches, wheels, bead threader, rolling ramp, and shape sorter, and also converts into a pull car
- The original STEM learning: Unlock STEM concepts like math, physics, and engineering, along with higher-order planning and problem-solving; spatial awareness, motor-skill development, and hand-eye coordination
2. Melissa and Doug Rainbow Stacker
The Rainbow Stacker from Melissa and Doug encourages hours of open-ended play. It’s made out of non-toxic wood and paint, and the bright colors are appealing to babies, toddlers, and preschoolers – making it one of the many generally suitable Montessori toys for babies.
By playing with the rainbow stacker, toddlers can learn about colors as well as size relation. The rings can be stacked on the stand or separate from the stand.
- Sturdy design with non-toxic finish
- Among the many favorite brands around the world loved especially by new parents
- Fun, bright colors
- Suitable for a variety of ages – a perfect gift!
- Good for color and size recognition from an early age
- Paint may come off when cleaned
- Toddlers may be tempted to throw the wooden ball
- EDUCATIONAL CLASSIC STACKER TODDLER TOY: The Melissa & Doug Rainbow Stacker Classic Toy features 8 smooth, easy-to-grasp wooden pieces to stack on a solid-wood rocking base.
- HIGH-QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: This wooden stacker toy is made from durable and child-safe materials, delivering exceptional quality and value—which makes it a top seller, as well as a childhood favorite.
- BRIGHTLY COLORED PIECES: This Melissa & Doug ring stacker features brightly colored and smoothly sanded pieces that help children build early shape, color, and size-differentiation skills.
3. Amazing Child Mini Glass Pitcher
Pouring is an important Montessori skill as it provides hand-eye coordination, concentration, and fine motor skills.
This real-glass pitcher is just the right size for little hands, and can be used to practice pouring drinks at mealtimes or as an exercise in pouring into small vessels of a variety of sizes.
- Small size
- Real glass
- Good for pouring practice
- Provides fine motor practice
- Provides hand-eye coordination
- Can break if dropped
- Handle can be too small
- 9 ounce (250ml) Attractive Mini Glass Pitcher - 5" High. Child sized.
- Please note it is VERY SMALL. Approx size: Height - 5" (12cm), Diameter - 3" (8cm), Length - 4" (10cm). There is a small (5/16") raised mark to show the 9 ounce (250ml) level
- Ideal for the Practical Life area.
4. Naturskool Alphabet Tracing Board
Many toddlers are ready to start learning their letters, and tracing is a great way to develop pre-writing skills as it develops the fine motor skills needed for writing.
These alphabet and number tracing boards have grooves in which children can trace with the included stylus. The boards are made out of durable wood and will last for a long time.
- Solid natural wood construction
- Includes two styluses
- Handy storage bag
- Good for independent learning
- Provides letter recognition
- Can be sharp edges on the letters
No products found.
5. Boley 12 Piece Safari Animal Set
Vocabulary is an important skill while toy animals are good preschool toys before your little one attends a Montessori school.
This 12 piece Montessori-inspired Safari Animal Set has many different animals in adult and baby form so children can practice learning their names. The animals are made with very realistic details, and they include giraffes, rhinos, lions, tigers, zebras, and elephants.
You may be interested in: Will Skipping Preschool Harm or Benefit My Child?
- Good for language skills
- Meets child safety standards
- Realistic figures make it excellent as Montessori gifts during any holiday season
- Contains parent and baby animals
- May need adult supervision to avoid choking hazards
- Some legs may be uneven
- WHAT'S INSIDE: Boley's 12 Piece Safari Animal Set includes a diverse variety of safari animal figures, including giraffes, zebras, elephants, tigers, lions, rhinos, zebras, and more! This safari toy set is made of high-quality, durable plastic, so guarantee your child endless imaginative fun with this set that is built to withstand repeated rough play!
- PERFECT EDUCATIONAL TOY: Boley's 12 Piece Safari Animal Set is perfect for immersing your child into the diverse jungle safari world! Give your child a head start on vocabulary development by having them learn all the names and facts of the animals of the safari kingdom with the included pamphlet! This set makes an ideal birthday gift, party favor, or educational toy set!
- FUN SCIENCE LEARNING: This realistic safari animals set includes a colorful booklet with all kinds of information about all 12 animals, so your child can learn fun facts while having a great time!
6. Melissa and Doug Dust! Sweep! Mop!
Dusting, sweeping, and mopping are all part of Montessori practical real life skills, and you’ll find child-sized tools in any classroom. You can recreate the experience in your home with this set of cleaning toys from Melissa and Doug.
They are sturdy and just the right size for small hands. Babies, toddlers, and preschoolers will exercise their gross motor skills as well as helping to keep their environment clean.
- Perfect size for small children
- Sturdy wood and plastic construction
- Realistic and real
- Organizing stand
- Provides gross motor skills
- Stand can easily come unscrewed from the base
- Mop has a plastic disk that can scratch floors
- REALISTIC WOODEN CLEANING SET FOR KIDS - This colourful, childrens cleaning set looks just like the real thing and includes a wooden pretend play broom, mop, duster, dustpan and brush, and organising stand; the red dustpan conveniently clips into all handles.
- WOODEN CLEANING TOYS THAT INSPIRE HOURS OF PRETEND PLAY - We developed the Lets Play House! Dust! Sweep! Mop! Toy cleaning set for toddlers to motivate your child to model independence and use their imagination to have fun! Each cleaning tool gives them an imagined role and pretend task to try.
- BUILDS SKILLS AND CONFIDENCE - This skill-building and confidence-boosting wooden toy cleaning set is designed to strengthen and embolden your child’s sense of purpose and support their development; each pretend play tool helps them develop coordination and fine motor skills, and mimicking everyday chores helps teach responsibility and boosts self-esteem.
7. Democa Montessori Busy Board
Tying, buckling, zipping, opening and closing, are all part of Montessori activities that you will find in classrooms.
This busy board has those same exercises and more. Each activity on the busy board will exercise fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination, as well as teaching practical skills that are needed for everyday life.
- Provides ten different activities and skills
- Comes in two color options
- Sturdy construction
- Great for travel
- Provides fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Slightly big, may not be suitable as Montessori gifts
- Protruding staples on the shoe laces
- ✔️ WOODEN BUSY BOARD – Educational toys for 3 years old and Montessori toys for toddlers. Sensory toddler busy board toy with 10 preschool activities help kids to develop their fine motor skills.
- ✔️ ACTIVITY TOYS FOR TODDLERS – deMoca Wooden Toy is a basic skill board with Bright Rainbow colorful wooden pieces. This toy features zipper snaps and a shoe tying teaching kit for kids that allows children to tie and zip their way into independent dressing skills.
- ✔️ TRAVEL TOY FOR TODDLERS – Full of fun challenges this car activities for kids / airplane activities for kids will keep your kid busy on long journeys when your toddler travel. Easy handling weighing just 2 pounds.
8. MAGIFIRE Wooden Toddler Puzzles
Puzzles allow children to develop concentration, spatial awareness, shape recognition, hand-eye coordination, and much more.
A set of easy puzzles like these Wooden Toddler Puzzles are a great start. They’re simple, but will give your toddler’s brain a challenging workout.
- Durable, safe wood construction
- Fun, bright colors
- Good size for baby’s hands and any Montessori shelves
- Set of 6 puzzles
- Handy storage bag
- Slightly unrealistic details and images
- Pieces may be small
- LEARN THROUGH PLAY: Our delightful Easter gifts for toddlers feature 6 captivating creatures - Ladybug, Tortoise, Teddy Bear, Butterfly, Car, and Bee. These eye-catching, colorful wooden puzzles are perfect for educational playtime. Designed to aid concentration, they help wee ones begin their learning journey. Explore the world of puzzles with our specially crafted toddler wooden puzzles. Stimulate young minds, promote problem-solving skills, and enhance cognitive development.
- DESIGNED FOR ENRICHMENT: Crafted specifically for toddlers, these baby Easter wooden puzzles provide a perfect blend of entertainment and education. As little ones engage in piecing together the puzzles, they embark on a journey of learning, effortlessly identifying colors, distinguishing shapes, and honing their hand-eye coordination skills. These wooden puzzles become valuable tools for cognitive development, problem-solving, and promoting essential skills in a joyful and tactile manner.
- SIZED RIGHT FOR TODDLERS: This delightful toddler Easter set features four puzzles, each measuring 5.7" wide x 5.7" tall. Designed specifically for little ones, the puzzles boast vibrant colors and chunky pieces that are perfect for tiny hands to grasp and maneuver. Parents can rest easy knowing that every piece is meticulously crafted to be too large for children to swallow. These wooden puzzles are an excellent choice for fostering cognitive skills and providing endless fun for curious minds.
9. Strider 12 Classic Balance Bike
If your family loves taking walks or riding bikes together, it can be hard to bring along a toddler who wants to have their independence, but is much slower than everyone else.
You can solve this problem with Montessori-inspired balance bikes. Toddlers can enjoy riding a bike or ride-on toys without needing to have the advanced skills required, plus they can get help with learning how to walk and balance.
The balance bike is lightweight, and is made from a durable steel frame and puncture-proof tires.
- Provides walking and balance practice
- Adjustable seat
- One of the few lightweight Montessori gifts this holiday season
- Gives toddlers more freedom
- Unlike most balance bikes, this one has no brakes
- Can be too heavy for younger toddlers
- 12” CLASSIC BIKE - The Classic is the budget-friendly, unembellished choice. It features a painted steel frame, a built-in footrest & an 11” starting seat height, so your toddler can easily straddle the bike at a young age.
- EASY TO ADJUST - As your child grows, you can adjust the seat & handlebar heights—no tools required. The Classic has a seat height range from 11-16” to fit inseam lengths of 12-17”. Plus, the foam tires will never go flat!
- WHAT IS A BALANCE BIKE? - A balance bike introduces your child to the feeling of being on a bike, building up their confidence by encouraging striding and allowing them to practice bike-handling skills.
10. Melissa and Doug Band-in-a-Box Clap! Clang! Tap!
Music provides many great benefits for children of all ages – babies, toddlers, and preschoolers included! Give your toddler a musical head start with a wooden music set like this one from Melissa and Doug.
It’s sturdy and attractive, and gives your toddler exposure to different musical sounds. The tambourine, maracas, cymbals, clacker, triangle, and tone blocks come in a handy wooden storage crate.
- Wood and metal construction
- Made from safe materials
- Handy storage crate
- 6 different instruments
- Introduces children to a variety of sounds, making it a playroom staple
- Some instruments can be hard to play
- Not suitable to be chewed on
Related: A Simple Buying Guide on the Best Musical Toy for Baby
- DIVERSE 10-PIECE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT SET: The Melissa & Doug Band-in-a-Box Clap! Clang! Tap! is a 10-piece musical instrument set with a variety of instruments that get kids moving, grooving, and feeling the beat.
- EXPOSES CHILDREN TO MULTIPLE TONES: Melissa & Doug musical instruments help children develop a musical ear. This set exposes your mini-musician to different tones, volumes, and rhythms.
- HANDY WOODEN CRATE: To keep this band set for kids organized, we’ve included a durable wooden crate that has plenty of space to store each of the 10 instruments.
11. Waldorf Wooden Balance Board
The Waldorf method has a lot of similarities to the method developed by Maria Montessori, so a lot of their materials tend to overlap.
The Montessori-inspired balance board stimulates children’s vestibular system, which helps with general development and learning, and supports the muscles needed for proper posture.
It’s also a great toy for imaginative play – it can be used as a car, tunnel, cradle, and more! The board is made out of high-quality beech and birch woods.
- Promotes the vestibular system
- Simple design
- Good for imaginative play
- Optional felt layer to protect kids’ floors and create stability
- Felt layer option not suitable for outdoor use
- Quality control can be inconsistent
- Not strictly the Maria Montessori approach
- DEVELOP KIDS STRENGTH: The wooden board for balancing its creation is due to the community. It stimulates the vestibular system, which is of great importance for general development and learning. It supports the muscles responsible for the correct posture develops the sense of balance.
- MULTI-WAYS TO PLAY: Children can play this balance board with their imagination. Children can rock, use it as a car track, bridge, slide, balance beam, stepping stool, resting or reading spot, tunnel, doll cradle. The possibilities are endless! This balance board with felt layer only use indoors. Please DON'T knock the edge of the balance board on the ground or hard objects, otherwise the edges will crack.
- SIZE&WEIGHT: Measures 32 inches long, 11.8 inches wide, and 7 inches tall at the highest point. It is 0.66 inches thick. Allowing it to support 220kg/485lbs!
12. Trihorse Wooden Marble Run
This multi-tiered marble run can provide endless hours of so much fun for your toddler, and it can helps developing fine motor skills and cognitive skills. The marble run is made out of safe beechwood.
It comes with 6 wooden balls that are big enough that they don’t pose a choking hazard.
- Kid and environmentally safe
- Provides fine motor and cognitive skills
- Made in Bohemia
- Beautiful craftsmanship
- Comes already assembled
- Large size takes up room
- Won’t stand up to toddlers pulling themselves up on it
13. Costzon Kids Climbing Pikler
Climbing is a crucial gross motor skill for toddlers’ physical development. Instead of letting them climb on one side all over your furniture, try letting them climb on the climbing pikler.
The triangular frame and rungs are made of solid beech wood, poplar core, and birch that are very durable and coated with non-toxic BPA-free varnish.
The rungs are adjustable so it can grow with your child. The pikler provides gross motor skills and balance as well as improving children’s courage.
- Strong and sturdy design perfect for older kiddos
- Adjustable for different ages
- No sharp edges or protruding screws
- Provides physical development exercise and balance
- Child-safe finish
- Included screws reported to be poor quality
- Takes up a lot of room
- 💡【Play Safer with 100% Natural Materials!】Our triangle climber playing set uses 100% premium natural wood as materials as the triangle climbing ladder is made of 21 round beech wood strips, the frame is made of poplar core and the ramp is made of birch, which is very durable and strong. The Surface is Coated with a Non-toxic BPA free which is more environmentally friendly, safe and durable than plastic materials, thus creating a safe environment for your kids when playing.
- 🥰【Colorful Ultimate Climbing Triangle Ladder】 Packed full of fun features, this triangle climber help children develop independence, improve their motor skills, and explore their body limits in a safe way. The montessori triangle ladder can be tilted as needed to climb and slide. It's not only ideal for toddler to learn how to walk or climb, but also suitable for kids constructing different combined shapes through their imagination. This is the perfect toy to accompany your baby to grow up!
- ❤️【Perfect Natural Development Toy Gift】 Play time is an essential part of a child's early years. Once they can walk, and with parents' supervision, they will love climbing all over it and sliding down the slide. With a triangular structure and metal connections, the climbing triangle ladder provides a solid foundation. This Jungle Gym set come with double-sided reversible ramp, kids can practice walking, climbing and sliding so as to develop their motor skills. It is best gift for kids!
14. Coogam Wooden Geoboard
A geoboard provides so many different skills for toddlers. They learn about shapes and designs, and they also get a lot of practice in fine motor skills and prewriting skills.
This wooden geoboard is made out of natural wood with 64 nails in a grid across the top. The set also includes 35 pattern cards that young children can copy, and a pack of rubber bands.
- Provides fine motor and can teach children about prewriting skills
- Sturdy and durable construction
- Nails have wide heads to keep the rubber bands from sliding off
- Suitable for a wide variety of ages, making it one of the many perfect Montessori gifts
- Rubber bands do not snap easily
- Cards have very random shapes on them
- Cards are a very small size
- Geometrical Board: There are 1 wooden board with 64pcs of nails half driven in, 35 pattern cards(5 empty cards & 30 geometric cards). The supply of one individual package of latex band pack are more than enough. The board measures 7 x 7 x 0.9in, weigh 14.4 oz.
- Educational Toy: Having them in school to learn all types of different 2D shapes and figuring out fractions. Good for kids who love making shapes, letters, designs and struggle with grasp, fine motor & visual motor skills.
- Competitive Advantage: The back side has pegs in the shape of a circle, the little tops on them and nails on the long side help make it easy for small fingers to get the bands on them and stay on them. Really broaden the scope of the shapes they make.
15. Skoolzy Peg Board Set
Sorting and stacking are great activities for toddlers as they provide fine motor practice, hand-eye coordination, and color, number, and pattern recognition.
This Montessori-inspired peg board set gives your child a fun way to sort and stack, as well as thread the pegs. The set comes with a board, 60 pegs in rainbow colors, , stacking cups, and a storage bag.
- Good for counting, sorting, and stacking from an early age
- Provides fine motor and hand-eye coordination skills
- Toddlers love the fun and bright colors
- Handy storage bag
- Great for special needs children
- If you prefer natural wood toys, this one is plastic
- Board needs “conditioning” before use: leave the pegs in overnight so the holes will be big enough
- POPULAR MONTESSORI OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY METHOD - Your toddler or preschoolers will enjoy the thrill of stacking and sorting the different colored pegs, while at the same time use it as an Early learning Educational experience.
- DEVELOP & STRENGTHEN FINE MOTOR SKILLS - To stack and place the pegs properly on the peg board the eyes and hand have to coordinate together, strengthening your child’s visual perception, and motor coordination in a fun and enjoyable way. Great for all kids, and a constructive toy for special needs and autism too!
- NUMBER COUNTING -COLORS-PATTERNS- Gleeporte’s Stacking Peg board set includes 30 pegs, of 6 different colors and one board. It’ll allow your preschooler child to develop any kind of patterns, stacking the different colors together, while learning and counting the colors and the amounts in the process.
How to Choose the right Montessori toy for Toddlers
According to Italian physician Maria Montessori, the best Montessori-friendly and high quality toys can provide many opportunities for your child as they are growing and hone their developmental skills.
Whether you’re buying Montessori toys for a 1-year-old, Montessori toys for a 2-year-old, or Montessori toys for a 3-year-old, knowing what to look for will greatly help your process of choosing – plus adding so much fun to the Montessori playroom!
When you’re choosing toys for your toddler, look for the following criteria:
Natural Materials. Make sure toys are made out of safe, natural, and non-toxic materials.
Engaging. Look for the best toys that provide lots of open-ended play instead of just something that entertains.
Toys that follow Montessori principles provide opportunities to encourage creativity, imagination, social and emotional intelligence.  Following your child’s interests is also super important!
Stimulating. Choose motor skills toys for toddlers that stimulate their fine motor skills and senses.
Practical Learning. Young children learn how to care for themselves and their environment with practical real life skills like sweeping, dusting, etc. Look for single concept toys that hone those skills. 
Color, Texture, Shape. When choosing toys for your toddler, look for colors, textures, and shapes in toys that will engage your child’s senses in many ways.
What Montessori toys are recommended for younger toddlers?
Montessori-friendly toys for younger toddlers will be similar to those for a 1-year-old. Look for toys that are very simple in design and don’t require too much gross or fine motor skill. Parenthetically, the toys on this list all follow Montessori philosophy!
What should Montessori toys teach toddlers?
Between the ages of 1 and 4 (preschool age), younger children should be focusing on developing their gross and fine motor skills, as well as learning how to play with others and express themselves.
Toddler Montessori toys should be things like sorting shapes and colors, exercising gross and fine motor skills (you can create an at-home toddler obstacle course for them), learning how to care for themselves, and playing simple make-believe games.
Through the Maria Montessori method, the child should learn to explore and figure out the world around it instead of relying on a helicopter parenting style of education.
How can I teach toddlers to start cleaning up Montessori toys?
You can’t start teaching toddlers to clean up toys too early! The best way to get toddlers to start cleaning up toys is to first make sure that their play space has specific spots for toys and is clutter-free.
Only bring out 8-10 high quality toys at a time. And always, always model! Show your child repeatedly how to put away their toys, and soon they will be following your example.
There are so many lovely + best toys on this list, and any one of them is sure to help your child’s development.
If you are struggling to decide which toy to start with, our favorite is The Block Set from Lovevery. You get so many different building blocks with it, and they all provide hours of open-ended play that hone your child’s motor skills and encourage imaginative and cooperative play.
What are some toys that you and your toddlers love for your Montessori toddler? What is your Montessori philosophy? Feel free to tell us in the comments below.
Last update on 2024-02-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API