When you are a mother of a newborn there are so many new things to learn about its everyday needs. Sometimes, the more you learn, the more it seems to be all Greek to you. Been there – done that.
This is especially true when talking about feeding your little one. One would have thought of it as a simple task of placing the bottle nipple on your baby’s mouth and let the suckling go automatically and naturally, no sweat.
But no, it doesn’t just work that way. Little did you realize, there are techniques and also the right bottle type to make the whole feeding thing a lot more manageable and less intimidating.
As a mother of two children, I have great experience in “bottle” thing, so I’ll be glad to share it with you and help you to choose among the best slow flow bottles for newborns.
Our Top 5 Picks of The Best Slow Flow Bottles for Newborns
Why choose a slow flow bottle for newborns?
There are three basic variations of bottle nipples:
- Slow flow – For a child from birth to three months of age.
- Medium flow – For newborn to 12 months
- Fast flow – For babies over three months
If your baby is a newborn that is up to three months old, it is considered best to start bottle feeding using a slow flow bottle. The “slow flow“ means that the hole in the nipple is small and that baby needs to make an effort to get milk, similar to breastfeeding.
Learn more about how to bottle feed your precious one properly in this video.
When is recommended to use the slow flow bottle?
Here are some examples when it is good to start using a slow flow bottle:
- If you want to continue breastfeeding and you use the bottle periodically – This is good at the very beginning. If your baby would get the milk flow from the bottle too easily, it would start refusing your breast because breastfeeding requests an effort.
- The slow nipple flow is good for babies that have just started learning to bottle feed – They wouldn’t gulp much and by avoiding over-feeding, you will not have a problem with gases and colic. Believe me, this is an experience that you don’t want to go through.
If you are not sure what size of the nipple your baby needs, there is a good advice in The Baby Book by the Sears family. It says: “The nipple hole should be large enough for the formula to drip at one drop per second when you hold a full, unshaken bottle upside down“.
It is always good to check how many baby bottles do you really need before you go out and grab all the baby bottles.
How to choose the best slow-flow bottle?
When searching for a bottle for the first time, there is a lot to learn so you could be able to find the best one. But, I΄ll make it easier for you. There are few main features that you need to look for in order to make a good purchase.
1. Bottle material
Bottles come in three different materials:
- Plastic (silicone),
- Stainless steel.
Nevertheless, most of the bottles are made of silicone material, nowadays. It is a good material – transparent, soft, unbreakable, but often more expensive than plastic or glass. It is, though, important to look for a soft silicone that is BPA-free.
BPA stands for Bisphenol A, a chemical used for producing reusable plastic products. It shows estrogenic effects which means that it imitates the estrogen hormone.
These chemicals have a potentially adverse effect in humans, especially in infants.
2. Venting system
The venting system is very important for newborns and their parents. As there are few babies that don’t experience colic, the majority of parents will find vent-system to be a good feature.
According to Parent Guide, there are 4 types of venting system that can be found in bottles:
- No vent system at all – Air enters the bottle as soon as your baby stops sucking.
- Top-vented: The nipple has small holes that allow air to pass through and into the bottle. Since air is still bubbling through the milk, your baby will still ingest some of the air.
- Straw Venting: Air is drawn through slits in the soft silicone nipples and passes through the milk via a straw. Since air can go directly to the bottom of the bottle, it won’t mix through your baby’s milk or formula.
- Bottom Venting: When the bottle is upended and sucked on, air is drawn into the bottle through a valve at the base of the bottle. Since negative pressure is completely eliminated, your baby’s milk or formula will be virtually air-free.
Whichever vent-system you choose, it would be better than none. If you have a gassy baby, this is a feature that can help you a lot, preventing colic and saving you from long, sleepless nights.
3. Bottle size
It is good to have an option in everything, so consider buying bottles that come in different sizes. You could easily change the bottle, keeping the nipple that fits your baby at the moment.
Generally, bottles come in sizes from 4-12 ounces. Sometimes, it is hard to decide what size is best for your baby at the very moment.
Usually, you choose according to your baby’s age and weight. If you have a preemie or a newborn, you’ll choose smaller bottles (from 4 or 5 ounces), because they need less milk.
Their tummy is smaller in the beginning. Still, if you are a mother of the older baby, you’ll purchase larger bottles of 8,9 or 10 ounces.However, if you still hesitate to presume, here is the guide to how much and how often you need to feed your baby, so you could decide on size easily.
Best slow flow bottles for newborns
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Fiesta Bottle
- Easy to clean and fill. Our bottles are microwave and dishwasher safe, yet light and easy to hold
- The First Feed bottle has been developed especially for use with premature babies or for those first newborn bottle feeds with expressed milk to encourage the transition to bottle feeding
- The extra slow Flow nipple allows the milk to Flow at a slower rate than a standard nipple which is ideal for babies who in the process of transitioning to bottle feeding or find standard nipples Flow rates too fast
This bottle offers an easy-latch-on nipple shape that is very similar to the breast, which makes it easier for baby to get used to it. The soft nipple gently moves to imitate the natural nursing.
- It promotes a natural feel nipple, which is great for your breastfed baby.
- It is made of BPA-free soft silicone, so you don’t need to worry about its safety.
- They have accurate measurements on the bottle. This feature is good for newborns when it is very important to follow up on exactly how much milk your child has had.
- Contains anti-colic vent system in the nipple so the baby gets the milk flow without air. If you have a gassy baby, this thing is amazing for you.
- It comes in different sizes: 5oz, 9oz, and 11oz. Therefore, you can use the same nipple, just changing the bottle size.
- It can be held in three ways–from the base, gripping the wide neck, or traditionally cradled in the hand.
- The nipples are a little bit more expensive than for the other bottles
- The storage lids are not included.
- The measurement markings sometimes rub off after washing.
Lansinoh mOmma Bottle with Natural Wave Nipple
Lansinoh bottle is designed for breastfed baby and allows for the same movement as during the nursing.
- Nipples for these bottles come in low (2S), medium (3M), and fast (4L) flow, so you can use the same bottles as your baby grows
- The Air Ventilation System prevents colic in your baby by reducing the intake of air.
- They are easy to clean and assemble and they are dishwasher safe. This is especially important for mothers that are overwhelmed and always have a lack of time.
- These bottles can be sterilized in the microwave sterilizer which also saves time.
- These anti colic bottles only fit the Lansinoh nipples.
- The manufacturer doesn’t make handles to be attached to the bottles
- It can leak after some time.
- Collect, store, prepare, and feed using a single disposable breastmilk storage bag; Prevent germs from contaminating your milk supply; Set includes 2 bottles, 1 Slow Flow Nipple and case, and 1 Medium Flow Nipple and case
- Pump breast milk directly into storage bags; Bags drop into Twist Squeeze Natural Feeding Bottle frames; Pop an Active Latch Nipple on for feeding; Prevents spills and reduces dirty dishes
- Natural Nipple Design; Patented 1 piece Active Latch nipples attach directly onto Kiinde Twist Pouches; Provide a seamless transition between bottle and breast; Reusable nipple cases double as bottle covers
The Kiinde twist feeding system is a really revolutionary set of bottle feeding products. It is designed to make a mother’s life easier – it saves your time because it doesn’t require a million steps and parts to deal with on a daily basis.
This is a great option among other best baby bottles to get if you are a working mother.
- This bottle isn’t like other conventional bottles. It is like a plastic holder that serves as an outer shell for the pouches. The nipple, then, clicks into the pouches and bottle.
- It becomes a piece of cake to feed your baby. Prewarm the pouch and put it into a bottle. Push the air out of the pouch and just attach a nipple.
- Only nipples need to be sterilized after use.
- Kiinde sells adapters for almost all brands.
- The nipple called Active Latch helps your baby to move from the breastfeeding to the bottle feeding without a problem.
- The slow flow nipple ensures that your baby doesn’t prefer the bottle over the breast, which is especially important if you are still nursing during the night or before sleep.
- The pouches are collapsible so they help eliminate gas and reduce colic without complicated air venting systems.
- The pouches come sterilized in custom sizes of 6 and 8 oz.
- The pouches are made for a single use so they can be expensive for your budget.
- You will have to purchase adapters to use these pouches with your breast pump.
- The pouches are not accurate measures of ounces. If you need them to be exact then you’ll need to measure in another bottle first.
Philips Avent Natural Baby Bottles
- The most natural way to bottle feed. Natural nipple shape makes it easy for baby to combine with breastfeeding
- Soft, wide-shaped nipple promotes natural latch on
- Advanced anti-colic system is directly integrated into the nipple with no extra hard-to-clean parts
Phillips Avent bottles are something we can call – a mainstream in bottle feeding. They are easy to hold and babies get used to them quickly since their slow-flow nipples are soft and wide-shaped.
Further Read: Best Teats for Premature Babies
- You can use it for babies 0-12 months old since it has the capacity of 9 Oz.
- The natural shape of the nipple helps your baby to combine breast and bottle feeding comfortably. You don’t need to be afraid that your newborn would start refusing your breast if you offer him a bottle.
- Twin valve is an advanced vent system which helps eliminate gas and saving baby’s tummy from colic and you from insomnia.
- It is designed to have a wide neck, so cleaning is effortless, especially considering that it is dishwasher safe.
- You can sterilize it in a microwave.
- The ergonomic shape of this best baby bottle for newborns allows you and even your baby to hold it easily. This is necessary at night when you are already tired and can’t even keep your eyes open.
- It can start leaking at some point
- Bottles may be too large for newborns
Comotomo Natural Feel Baby Bottle
- Comotomo baby bottles are deisgned to most closely mimic breastfeeding to reduce bottle rejection
- Ultra wide neck design allows easy cleaning by hand without a brush
- Safe in microwave, boiling water, dishwashers and sterilizers. The 5oz bottle comes with a slow flow nipple suitable for newborns up to 3 months
Comotomo bottles have a really innovative design. I like it because it is definitely something new in the market!
- You and your child will love it’s squeezable and soft body. It is so comfortable to hold it!
- It comes with a soft nipple that is so good for babies who have a problem to get used to bottle feeding.
- The slow-flow nipple with a natural shape is suitable for newborns from 0-3 months old. Still, there are 4 stages of nipples as your child grows, so you can use the same bottle and just change the nipple.
- The vent system, placed on the nipple, prevents colic, helping your baby to sleep well during the night.
- Since it is designed to have a wide neck, you won’t have troubles cleaning it, especially considering that it is dishwasher safe.
- It might be overpriced
- It is lightweight, so it floats in water when you try to heat milk in warm water.
- The bottom is very narrow, so it topples over very easily if you are not careful
It’s not easy to find the most suitable bottle for your little one. I did my best to help you summarizing some basics in this field. Now, you can find it in one place and tailor it to your needs and budget.
If you ask me, I would be completely satisfied with Kiinde Twist. It is an all-in-one feeding system that saves your energy and leaves you time to rest a little bit. These moments are so rare when you are a fresh new mom!
So, dive yourself into my review and find the best slow flow bottles for newborns!
Last update on 2021-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API