While your older child may insist that they are all grown up, their tune may change when it comes to riding in the stroller. Little legs still get tired, and they may occasionally want a ride.
There may be times when it is impractical for them to walk, such as navigating busy streets. Or, if you are going for a run and want to take them along.
While most parents envision using their stroller with their infant carrier or their toddler, the truth is sometimes you will use it with your older child too. The features you should consider change when you are shopping for a stroller for older kids.
Well, you can stop queuing up Google to search for “best stroller for older child” because this article has got you covered with twelve top picks!
Our personal favorite goes to Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller as an all-rounder stroller for older kids but we will let you decide your best pick after going through our reviews. Let’s get started!
Our Top Best Stroller for Older Kids
The best strollers aren’t just for your littles. They can be so practical for older children for a variety of reasons.
A stroller for older kids is an easy way to keep your child near when you want to keep a close eye on them. For instance, when you are navigating a busy street, traveling through a parking lot, or somewhere you usually find a crowd, such as an amusement park.
When Walking Becomes Tiring
We have all experienced those long trips to the zoo, where by the time you reach the end of the park and have to turn around, your child doesn’t want to take another step! A stroller designed for an older child can give them a lift back to the car.
Motivation to Walk & Run Outdoors
Some strollers are designed for running and older children. These strollers are a great way to engage your child in your activity. They’re useful for when you know your child couldn’t keep up with you running or biking, but you still want them to come along.
Strollers for older children don’t have to be big and bulky, even though your child is growing bigger. Because your not-so-little one may need fewer comforts and conveniences, they can be pretty pared down.
Alternatively, if you plan to buy a stroller for older kids with a long lifespan, one with removable options like an infant insert, can help you transition your stroller as your child ages.
In the end, you will be happy you purchased a big kid stroller so you don’t have to carry him to the car!
You may want to check out: Best Strollers for 5-Year-Olds
When it comes to picking a stroller for big kids, adjustability is key. The ability to transition your child to fit your growing child should be accompanied by a handful of other awesome features both you and your child will enjoy.
Adjustability for More Room.
A stroller of an older child needs to be adjustable. This can happen in a variety of ways, such as the choice of 3-point or 5-point harness, a canopy that can be raised, and adjustable calf support. Your older child will probably need more space, and want fewer restraints, like an armbar, boxing them in.
Ease of Use for an Easy Stroll.
The stroller should be easy to use, and especially easy to push. Your older child will probably already be heavy enough without adding a bulky stroller to the mix. Large tires, a smart design, and an ergonomic handle can make it easier for you to stroll with your child.
Simple to Transport for Fuss-free Travel.
Not only should it be effortless to use, but also to transport. Look for a lighter stroller that won’t be difficult to lift in and out of your trunk. A quick-fold is also beneficial. Some strollers have a carrying strap, or even a backpack, making them efficient when it comes to travel.
Safety for a Peace of Mind.
Even though your child probably won’t want to wear the restraint, some form of a harness is a good idea. Look for a stroller that offers a 3-point harness instead of a 5-point, giving them a little more flexibility.
Apart from that, your stroller for older kids should be constructed of a durable, sturdy material capable of withstanding at least 45 pounds or more.
Comfort Means Convenience.
Your older child may or may not want a lot of comfort features. They probably won’t be spending a great deal of time in the stroller. The more comfort features you have, the bulkier. However, if you plan on running with the stroller or using it a lot, you may at least want a cup holder and some storage.
As you browse for a stroller for older kids, consider what things are most important to you. Most considerations will be a trade-off between one another, eg. the more comfort features, the heavier the stroller. So think carefully about your “must-haves”.
Our Top 12 Great Products: Best Stroller for Older Kids
#1 Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
When the phrase “extra-wide seat” is in the description, you know Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller will be ideal as a stroller for child over 50 lbs. And it is!
This stroller can be used by a child weighing up to 75 pounds. The seat is perfect for either reclining back and taking a nap or sitting upright and taking in the sights.
The aluminum frame is sturdy enough to handle the weight and still maneuver effortlessly. Large wheels and excellent suspension keep the ride extra smooth. The front wheel can swivel or be locked, ideal for when you are running.
The back wheels have a quick release function, meaning when it’s time to stash it in your trunk, fitting it in won’t be a headache. The soft parent caddy with cup holders and the large lower basket can hold toys, snacks, and more.
This is a great stroller for older kids to take them along and not having to deal with any of the bulk.
- Extra-wide seat
- Great suspension system for a smooth ride
- Large canopy with extra headroom
- Holds child up to 75 lbs
- Comes with a tire pump, parent organizer plus running leash
- No one-handed fold
- Difficult to unfold
- Not for tight spaces
- Extra wide seat sits high to give child great visibility, multi-position seat recline
- Includes parent organizer, running leash, and tire pump
- Quick release 16" rear wheels and 12.5" swivel front wheel that locks straight
#2 BRITAX B-Lively Lightweight Stroller
Next up is the BRITAX B-Lively Lightweight Stroller, one of the best strollers for big toddlers that only want an occasional ride. This stroller has just enough comfort and convenience features while also being lightweight. That means you can keep your child happy and still easily take this stroller along everywhere.
The spacious child seat can handle children up to 55 pounds. The leg rest is long enough to support even the tallest toddlers. The child seat can almost sit completely upright for toddlers who love to take in the sights. But when they get tired it lays nearly flat. The ventilated canopy has plenty of headroom and mesh panels to let in the breeze.
The three-wheel design is painless to maneuver. The swift fold action enables you to take this lightweight stroller with you wherever you go. The zippered pocket and large storage basket allow you to take all your toddler’s belongings on the trip as well. This is a great stroller for toddlers who like to be independent…most of the time.
- Infinite recline child seat
- All-wheel suspension for a smooth ride
- Canopy has ventilation panels
- Can accommodate Britax car seats
- Lightweight design
- Difficult to unfold
- Harness buckles are difficult to use
- The b-lively stroller is lightweight with all wheel suspension for smooth rides and one-hand, quick fold makes it easy to store and go
- Ride comfortably: Cool flow ventilated mesh fabric improves air flow to keep your child cool and comfortable
- Convenient features: XL storage basket with front access, ventilated UV50+ canopy, large zipper pocket and peek a Boo window
#3 Joovy Scooter X2 with Tray
Next up is the Joovy Scooter X2 with Tray an ideal option for families with twins or siblings. This double stroller has two child seats, each one can handle up to 45 pounds. Riding side by side gives each child their own space. However, the stroller is still narrow enough to be able to fit through doorways.
When your child is safely buckled in with the five-point harness, they can sit back and enjoy the ride. A child tray complete with cup holder keeps their snacks and drinks close at hand. The large canopy is big enough to cover each child. With independent reclines, you can allow your little ones to customize their ride. One can snooze while the other one stays upright and attentive.
Two cup holders for parents, two zippered pockets, and an enormous lower basket give you all the space you need for taking along double the number of belongings. The linked parking brake system means you can stop the stroller on a dime, even when it is loaded down with stuff and children.
- Good for twins, each seat can hold up to 45 lbs
- Narrower design that passes through standard doors
- Child seats recline independently
- Both seats have tray and cup holder
- Plenty of storage
- One large canopy for both seats
- Difficult to maneuver
- Includes 2 Child Trays - Does not include the Bumper Bar; Material: 600D Nylon
- 30" width-fits through standard doors, accommodates (2) 45 pounds children (90 pounds total)
- Recline each seat and adjust each footrest independently of each other . 1-hand fold, huge basket and canopy, removable bumper bar
#4 UPPAbaby G-Luxe Stroller
If your older kid loves having plenty of amenities, consider the UPPAbaby G-Luxe Stroller. It has lots of features in a surprisingly slim design. This spacious stroller has plenty of room for your big kid. It includes a footrest but the lack of calf support is great for children with long legs or those who like to let their legs dangle.
The footrest is even adjustable, perfect for tall toddlers. The one-handed seat recline allows you to smoothly lay back your sleeping little one without disturbing them. The extendable canopy with a sun visor will keep them shaded, no matter how far they are reclined. A parent cup holder and a large lower storage basket are all you need to bring along the essentials!
Parents will also love that the fabrics are removable and machine washable. Excellent for older children who love to enjoy snacks or drinks as they cruise.
This compact stroller is simple to fold, doesn’t weigh anything, and is ideal for taking along with you on the car, bus, or plane. This is one stroller for older kids that is big on features yet small on size.
- Three or five-point harness
- The seat reclines nearly flat
- Comfortable seat padding
- Rubberized durable wheels
- Awesome canopy coverage
- Crotch strap depth doesn’t adjust
- NEW! 2018 model G-LUXE Stroller
- One-handed actuated recline and adjustable footrest
- Large stretch knit canopy with extendable UPF 50+ sunshade for great sun and wind protection
#5 Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller
The Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller is the ultimate in portability when it comes to a stroller for 5 year old. This extra-durable and strong umbrella stroller only weighs an astonishing 13 pounds. Yet, it is big enough to accommodate children up to 50 pounds.
The plush padded seat is very spacious. It has four optional reclines, bound to suit even the pickiest of children. The canopy provides complete coverage with its flip-out sun visor.
For an even more pared-down experience, the canopy can be entirely removed. A lower storage basket and rear pocket give you just enough room for your necessities without adding bulk.
When your child is done riding, the stroller quickly folds up into a compact form. The carrying strap allows you to easily take it along with you on the go.
- Extremely lightweight, weighs only 13 pounds
- Can hold up to 50 pounds
- Tall handles, good for tall parents
- Includes carrying strap
- Storage basket max weight limit of 10 lbs
- Not so good on rough terrains
- LIGHTWEIGHT – A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier! The Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller has a durable aluminum frame that weighs just 13 pounds and has a large seat area, plus anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels
- FOR TRAVEL AND EVERYDAY – Whether you’re traveling or just on the go running everyday errands, having a lightweight, compact stroller is a must! With this one easy to use stroller, you’ll have both an everyday and travel stroller option
- 4-POSITION RECLINE - Keep your little one comfortable and safe at all times with the 4 position recline and 5 point safety harness. Maximum weight of child for this toddler stroller: 50 pounds
#6 Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller
If you are a runner with a big kid, the Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller is a must. The huge mountain bike tires make it easy to push heavy growing children. They can handle any type of terrain, meaning you can even stroll across the bumpy soccer field with ease. The front wheel can swivel or be locked into place making it extremely mobile.
The child seat is spacious. It has a 5 point harness that can be adjusted to perfectly fit your not-so-little one. The canopy is high enough that it won’t bump your child’s head or make them duck. Even though your kids are big, if they still want to take a nap they can recline back.
Parents will be thrilled with the ergonomic and adjustable handlebar, it can be tailored to suit whoever is pushing! The lower storage basket is not only huge but has a zippered cover, keeping your belongings safe and dry.
This is a rugged and sleek stroller for active families with children of all ages.
- Sleek, modern design
- Adjustable ergonomic parent handlebar
- Spacious zippered lower storage basket
- Large protective sun shade
- Large bike tires great for off road and on road trips
- Auto-lock, when folded, doesn’t always work
- A lightweight, all-terrain stroller perfect for jogging or strolling through town
- Swivel front wheel locks into place for jogging
- Large 16" rear wheels plus suspension for an ultra smooth ride
#7 BOB Revolution Flex 2.0 Jogging Stroller
The BOB Revolution Flex 2.0 Jogging Stroller is a great stroller for older kids. This is because it has such a high max weight limit, accommodating children up to 75 pounds. The seatback is plenty tall. The calf support and footrest are spacious, meaning your child can stretch out their legs.
As your child ages you won’t have to worry about adjusting the harness, it is no-rethread and can be moved effortlessly. The large canopy won’t impair them from seeing the world around them or force them to bend their neck.
Parents will love the 9 positions adjustable handlebar as well as the large lower storage basket. The large bicycle tires are perfect for cruising over different terrains. The aluminum alloy frame is sturdy but also lightweight; mercifully as older kids can be quite heavy.
This is an excellent choice for families who are active and want to take their older child along for the ride.
- 75-pound weight limit
- Extra-large canopy
- All-terrain tires
- Adjustable handlebar
- Compatible with BOB or Britax car seats and most major brands
- Seat width is narrow
- No cup holders
- Tires prone to losing air
- Fit: Birth to 75 pounds; 0 to 8 weeks with the use of an Infant Car Seat Adapter & compatible Infant Car Seat; child height 44 inches; Dimensions 25.4W x 43H x 44D inches
- Smooth; speedy stability: locking swivel front wheel; air filled tires; and mountain bike style suspension system
- Adjustable & Safe: 9 position adjustable handlebar with wrist strap; no rethread five point harness; near flat recline; and extra large UPF 50 plus canopy
#8 Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Stroller
The Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Stroller is a very slim jogger. It can accommodate a child weighing up to 65 pounds. It is small and compact enough to wind through crowds. The three-wheel design lets you maneuver down even the busiest streets. The whole time your child will be kept comfortable and safe in the 5 point harness.
The forever air tires are equipped for almost every terrain possible. The suspension eliminates bumps for a smooth ride. Your child will be cool under the petite canopy that provides just enough shade.
Parents get some great features too! Such as an adjustable handlebar, and a hand-operated parking brake. With infant adapters and a max weight of 65 pounds, your child can go with you from day one until they’re a toddler and beyond.
- High maximum weight limit, up to 65 pounds
- Adjustable, comfortable handlebar
- Hand brake for ease of control
- Suitable for uneven terrains and power walking
- Good resale value
- Difficult to unfold
- Harness buckle is hard to use
- SAFE AND SNUG: Stroller seat holds a child up to 65 pound and includes a 5 point stroller harness to keep your child safely secured
- UNCOMPROMISED AGILITY: Stroller has forever air rubber tires with all wheel suspension, providing uncompromised agility on any terrain
- ONE HAND FOLD: Lift a strap with one hand and the City Mini GT2 stroller folds itself simply and compactly
#9 Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
The Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller is yet another compact jogger. However, it has a few more comfort and convenient features than other pared-down models. Not only does it have a reclining child seat, replete with a 5-point harness and canopy, but it has a tray. The child snack tray complete with cup holder mirror the parent tray and cup holder, very convenient for the person pushing and the child riding.
The ergonomic padded handlebar makes pushing the stroller enjoyable. A tether ensures it will never get away from you, even when you are running. The reflectors found throughout the design of the stroller make you highly visible to others, keeping everyone safe.
A headache-free trigger release folds the stroller neatly in half. In its compact form, it can fit easily into your trunk or into storage. This is a great rugged stroller for older kids.
- Includes parent and child tray
- Easy to use and folds quite compactly
- Accommodates up to 50 pounds
- Lightweight and rugged
- Good maneuverability
- Difficult to inflate the front wheel
- Prone to shaking when walking
- Large bicycle tires roll effortlessly over all surfaces
- Front swivel wheel for easy maneuvering, locks for jogging. Recommended use: 6 months - 50 pounds or up to 42
- Reclining padded seat with 5 point harness, tether, large canopy and storage basket
#10 gb Pockit+ Lightweight Umbrella Stroller
Moving on to the gb Pockit+ Lightweight Umbrella Stroller, ideal for when you simply want a stroller. This is as pared down as it gets, weighing only 9.5 pounds. The construction is durable enough for big kids yet flexible enough to hold wiggly bodies.
It may come as a shock due to its streamlined design but the child seat actually reclines. There is also a canopy and a lower storage basket. But this stroller folds up so compact it can fit in an airplane overhead storage bin. It only takes two-simple steps to fold it down. You can then carry it with you using the attached handle or stow it. The best stroller for traveling families.
- Most lightweight stroller for big kids, only 9.5 pounds in weight
- Best for traveling
- Maneuvers well and smoothly
- Includes carrying handle
- Roomy child seat
- Not for every day use
- Difficult to lock wheels & fold
- Cinching recline system doesn’t stay upright
- Collapsible & Compact Design: This travel stroller’s ultra-compact and collapsible design ensures it will fit in most overhead compartments on planes and trains, eliminating the need to check your baby stroller while travelling.
- Lightweight Convenience: This must-have umbrella stroller weighs a mere 9 ½ pounds and makes one-handed pushing and steering a breeze. It folds down in 2 simple steps and can be carried effortlessly via the attached handle.
- Durable and Flexible Construction: Durable for everyday use as well as travel the Pockit+ is designed to roll with the punches. Its flexible construction keeps wiggly bodies safe and happy during their travels.
#11 born free LIVA Compact Fold Lightweight Stroller
A luxury version of the umbrella stroller, the born free LIVA Compact Fold Lightweight Stroller is quite stylish. It has trendy fabrics and matching leather handlebar and bumper bar. It has four wheels, making it very sturdy, but it also has a compact footprint. Coming in just 16 pounds it is very light.
The child seat, however, is large enough to hold even big kids. The canopy still leaves lots of headroom. The seat is wide and can be reclined. The 5-point harness is simple to adjust and fits most children. An adjustable leg rest, a cup holder, and a storage basket round out the comfort and convenience features.
A padded carry strap makes hauling this stroller around a breeze. Almost as effortless as pushing your big kid around.
- Stylish design
- Easy to fold, unfold and carry
- Adjustable footrest
- Padded carry strap
- Huge storage space
- The handlebar is high for some
- Basket is not sturdy
- Doesn’t work well on bumpy ground
No products found.
#12 Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller
Finally, there is the Chicco TRE Jogging Stroller. It is a very narrow jogger, and though it looks a little bulky, there is a reason for it. The angular seat provides plenty of room for older children. The seat is ultra-plush, has a five-point harness, and a bumper bar. Purchase this stroller when your child is young and you can use it with the car seat adapters. You can then continue using it until they’re 55 pounds.
Parents will love that the fabrics are water-resistant and can be wiped clean. When it is time to store it you have three options. First, use the one-handed fold to swiftly break it down. It can then stand on its own, fold flat for your trunk, or use the compact fold for storage. This is one versatile stroller.
- Very spacious child seat
- Sturdy build
- Hand braking system
- Three easy folding options
- Great for all types of terrains
- Heavy and difficult to unfold
- Brakes make a clicking noise
- The child seat removes easily to create a frame carrier for the KeyFit during the first 6 months
- Sporty fabrics are wipe able, durable and water repellent. Full-coverage, extendable canopy with flippable tinted window/mesh vent
- Pneumatic tires, 12" front and 16" rear spoked wheels , Carton Dimensions - 22.7 x 32.13 x 12.78 inches
Whether it is finding strollers for 3 year old or a 5-year-old, it can be a challenge. Aside from determining which one has the highest weight limit, you also should keep a few other things in mind, like convenience features, portability, and versatility as your child grows.
Considering these things, the Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller is the clear winner. It is comfortable for both parents and children while being ultra-compact and lightweight. It is one stroller that won’t be a hassle to push or take along for when your big kid needs a break from walking. While ease of folding and unfolding isn’t its strong point, that is something we are willing to trade off for the features it offers.
Do you have the same pick as ours? Let us know! Also, if you enjoy reading our list, help us spread the word by sharing this article with others!
Last update on 2021-04-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API