VOX baby monitors are popular among parents worried about the radiation level that other monitors emit. Moreover, monitors with VOX mode have numerous benefits and user-friendly features. But, what is VOX mode?
VOX means voice-activated, but don’t mix VOX mode with smart voice-controlled units, part of the smart home appliances. The VOX feature operates differently, and I am here to help you understand these monitors better, and pick the best baby monitor with VOX for you.
My preferred choice is HelloBaby HB65 Baby Monitor, but there are several more excellent VOX models on the market.
What Does VOX Mean on Baby Monitor?
VOX mode allows the monitor to go into sleep mode. During that time, the device doesn’t emit radiation. Once the baby starts crying and breaches a certain noise level, the monitor transmits the audio to alert you about changes.
You can go and check the baby, put it back to sleep. Again, when the baby falls asleep, and the nursery becomes quiet again, the monitor goes back to sleep mode.
Some VOX baby monitors only send audio, while others record or transmit both audio and video to the parent’s unit or your smartphone.
Manufacturers are issuing newer versions of the VOX monitor continuously. For example, the Samsung baby monitors VOX mode included, have differences between the older and newer versions. The newer version has a night light, lullabies, larger screen, different buttons setup, better image quality, etc., but the range remains the same.
Importance and Benefits of VOX Mode in Baby Monitors
VOX mode is convenient for many reasons. First of all, the VOX automatic feature makes it possible for the monitor to work without parents’ interference. You can rely on the monitor to alert you when the baby starts crying or make other sounds. Moreover, because only the microphone is on during the sleep mode, the device battery has a longer runtime.
Also, there isn’t any light on the monitor during the sleep mode, to disturb your baby during sleep.
Further, baby monitors emit radiation in a tiny amount of microwaves. When the device is in sleep mode, it doesn’t pulse, and thus, it doesn’t emit any radiation.
Overall, VOX baby monitors are convenient for the parents because they alert you when the baby needs you in the room directly and harmlessly. You don’t have to push buttons or remotely activate the monitor.
How to Choose the Best VOX Baby Monitor
Let’s have a closer look at all features that make a VOX baby monitor great!
The VOX monitors get activated either by sound breaching the noise limits or when the baby gets out of its virtual safe zone. If you are choosing between VOX monitors, pick the one with adjustable sound activation. That way, the monitor won’t alert you unnecessarily about every little noise in the nursery.
More expensive alternatives include the VOX monitor that detects breathing and alerts you after several seconds of inactivity.
Adjustable VOX sensitivity is an important feature to consider. While some monitors come preset for the noise picking, others allow you to adjust to microphone sensitivity. Check the VOX setting on baby monitor, and see if you can manually change the sensitivity level.
For example, finding the optimal sensitivity level means that you won’t be alerted to every noise in the room.
The majority of voice activated baby monitors transmit the audio and video within 900 or 1000 feet of range. However, the actual detection range is generally smaller due to walls and other obstacles between the camera and smartphone or parent unit.
Consider the size of your home, and make sure that you will be alerted in every room of your home.
Next, check the specifications related to battery life. But, learn the difference between working in continuous and VOX mode. When the monitor is in VOX mode, the battery life prolongs.
During the continuous mode, the battery drains much faster. Opt for at least 6-hours of runtime in continuous mode.
Image Quality and Remote Settings
Video baby monitors need to have average video quality to show you important details in the nursery. The optimal resolution is 720p, but zoom, tilting and pan features give you more opportunities for checking on the baby.
Tilting and panning the camera is convenient because it gives you more options to check the baby from all angles. Some monitors only allow tilting the camera using the buttons on the device. If you can find the monitor with remote tilting and panning, it is even better.
Night vision has become almost a must-have feature in all baby monitors. It isn’t any different with the sound activated baby monitors. Night vision is useful because it can help you check the baby remotely, even during the night.
Not only that you don’t have to be present in the room, but you also don’t have to turn the light on after the crying activates the monitor.
Best VOX Baby Monitors Reviews
To help you find the most suitable model for your needs and preferences, I analyzed the best VOX baby monitors on the market.
- Best Overall: HelloBaby HB65 Baby Monitor
- Easiest to Use: Summer Baby Pixel Cadet Video Baby Monitor
- Best for Twins: Angelcare 3-in-1 AC527 Baby Monitor
- Best Budget: VTech VM3252 Video Baby Monitor
- Best Battery Life: Anmeate Video Baby Monitor
- Best Value for Money: LBtech Video Baby Monitor
- Best Range: VMAI 4.3” Video Baby Monitor
- Best Sound Quality: Campark Video Baby Monitor
- Best Design: Summer Glimpse Plus Video Baby Monitor
- Best for Travel: HeimVision HM132 Baby Monitor
#1 Summer Baby Pixel Cadet Video Baby Monitor – Easiest to Use
The VOX monitor by Summer Infant comes with a 4.3-inch large monitor and compact camera.
It offers average video quality and remote steering, as well as setting virtual boundaries. That way, you will be alerted when the baby comes out from its safe place.
Moreover, the device has a 3x zoom and a convenient 1000 feet range.
The Summer Baby Pixel Cadet Video Baby Monitor has easy to set VOX mode and interesting features such as lullabies, night vision, two-way talk-back function, operation indicators, etc.
- The device alerts you when you are out of the range
- Tells the temperature in the room
- The virtual borders are a nifty touch
- Easy to use
- The sound machine button placement is inconvenient and can be pressed by accident
- The user interface is a bit complex
- ADDED PEACE OF MIND - When baby sleeps well, the whole family sleeps well! The Summer Baby Pixel Cadet Video Baby Monitor brings a greater level of peace of mind right into the hands of parents, so everyone sleeps better.
- SET A VIRTUAL BOUNDARY – With SleepZone Virtual Boundary, you can set a boundary box around a selected area and be alerted on the video monitor when your child exits their safe space. You can also purchase more cameras to monitor up to 4 rooms total.
- BETTER VIEW OF BABY – The remote camera steering pans left to right and tilts up and down, so you always have the perfect view! Plus, the 4.3” handheld monitor has temperature display, 3-level zoom, wall mount hardware and up to 1,000-ft range.
#2 HelloBaby HB65 Baby Monitor – Best Overall
The HelloBaby HB65 Baby Monitor wins in all categories. It is a reliable VOX mode baby monitor that comes with an affordable price tag and user-friendly features.
It has a 3.2-inch screen and can be rotated and panned remotely. Moreover, you can zoom the image from the parenting unit, and the image won’t lose much quality. I like how easy to use this HelloBaby monitor is and that it requires almost zero setup.
The battery is rechargeable, and you can advance your nursery surveillance system with up to four cameras.
- VOX mode works when all cameras are connected
- The two-way talk feature works seamlessly
- Simple setup
- Infrared night vision
- Works as a sound machine
- Monitor freezes
- The parent screen is a bit small
- Large LCD Display & Safe Wireless Technology: This video baby monitor come with a 3.2" LCD display. Application of frequency hopping and digital encryption technology ensures secure and reliable connection.
- REMOTE PAN TILT and ZOOM &3.2" LCD DISPLAY: Remote control camera rotate 355° in horizontal and 120° vertical ensuring you always have a clear view of your baby from any angle.
- SMART FEATURES:The crystal clear two-way audio feature allows conversation both ends as clear as if you were in the same room with your little one. Room temperature monitor and alert, night vision, lullaby, sound level LED indicator, audio only mode.
#3 Angelcare 3-in-1 AC527 Baby Monitor – Best for Twins
If you are looking for something more advanced, I recommend the Angelcare 3-in-1 AC527 Baby Monitor. The monitor comes with a wireless sensor pad that tracks the baby’s movement, similar to its sister monitor, the Angelcare AC517.
Also, there are four levels of sensitivity. When the monitor doesn’t detect any baby movement for 15 seconds, it beeps to wake the baby. If the baby doesn’t move for five more seconds, the monitor alerts you immediately. When everything is alright, and there are proper breathing movements, the Angelcare device is in sleep mode.
Next, the parenting unit has a 5-inch large touch screen and enabled night vision and simple access to settings. You can also disable movement detection and use it as a video and sound-only baby monitor.
Additionally, you can purchase up to four cameras and an extra sensor kit if you have twins.
- Notifications in real-time
- Contact-free monitoring
- Low energy emissions
- Easy to connect with a smartphone
- Easy to use with several cameras and two sensors pads
- Slightly smaller range – 820 feet
- Average video quality – 480x272px
- Wireless Baby Movement Sensor Pad with 4 adjustable sensitivity levels
- After 15 seconds of no recognized movement, the monitor will sound a preliminary beep to rouse your baby
- An alarm will sound after 20 seconds if no movement is detected
#4 VTech VM3252 Video Baby Monitor – Best Budget
If you are looking for a reliable VOX baby monitor that won’t break the bank, you can check the VM3252 model by VTech. The monitor comes with common features such as two-way talk, lullabies, night vision, temperature sensor, etc.
The VTech VM3252 Video Baby Monitor includes VOX mode. If the baby moves and makes a loud noise, the device will alert you. Moreover, there is a 6-level sound indicator.
Overall, the VTech monitor offers great performances, is simple to use, and beats some pricier devices in terms of quality.
- Easy to mount on the wall
- Digital zoom won’t mess up with the image quality
- Intuitive settings
- Wide range
- The small, 2.8-inch screen
- Battery deteriorates soon
- Plug & Play ** The monitor’s parent unit and the camera are configured for local monitoring right out of the box – no set up is required. The parent unit is intuitive to use and loaded with useful functions.
- Long Range ** Stay in touch to your baby from another room or even from the yard. Go about your day with up to 1000 feet of range.
- 2 Way Talk ** Sometimes all your baby needs is to hear the sound of your voice. With the two-way talk-back intercom, you can comfort your baby from any room.
#5 Anmeate Video Baby Monitor – Best Battery Life
With 960 feet of range, four lullabies, night vision, and eco mode, the Anmeate Video Baby Monitor is one of the best and inexpensive baby monitors on the market.
The camera offers limited tilting customization, but the digital zoom and panning feature work excellent. You can also connect the camera with three more cameras for a better view. All cameras can be placed on the shelf or wall-mounted.
The Anmeate monitor is easy to use. Once you plug it in the wall and start using it. When you use it in sound-activated mode, the battery will last around 8 hours.
- Simple control panel
- Night vision has good quality
- Timer settings
- Can be used with multiple cameras
- The range in the home is around 400 – 500 feet
- It beeps loudly when loses connection
- High quality color screen: This unique baby monitor features a High Resolution Display with 2x zoom magnification for comprehensive coverage. The 2.4” screen can deliver streaming live view whenever you check in.
- High definition night vision & temperature monitoring: This baby monitor with camera has 8 infrared LED Lights and could constantly monitor babies’ activities. Other built-in features include automatic night vision and temperature monitoring.
- Two way talking & long transmission range: The video monitor covers a transmission range of up to 960 feet.You could play 4 soothing lullaby songs or use the two-way talk back intercom function to comfort your babies.
#6 LBtech Video Baby Monitor – Best Value for Money
If you have a large nursery, you might need more than one camera to ensure sufficient coverage. The LBtech Video Baby Monitor comes with two cameras and a parent unit with a 4.3-inch large screen.
The device includes excellent, 2x digital zoom and supports convenient features, such as night vision, talk balk function, temperature monitoring, etc.
The VOX mode reduces battery consumption by up to 50%. Also, the notifications are enabled in real-time, so you don’t have to worry that your baby will miss you.
- Comes with two cameras
- Affordable price tag
- Alerts you when it gets too cold or too hot in the room
- Easy to use
- You get two cameras for a price of one
- You can rotate and pan the cameras manually only
- ★【Color LCD Screen& Plug and Play】4.3” Large LCD display with100% digital technology for privacy and security,and can allow you to monitor the baby’s activities in real time without any delay.It is very easy to operate,just plug and play,No WIFI/Internet/APP setup required.
- ★【Expandable to 4 Cameras】Baby camera is plug and play, no set up required. One parent unit monitor can be paired with 4 child unit cameras,You could take care all of your kids with one monitor(Additional camera sold separately)
- ★【2x Digital Zoom】allows you view of your baby without need to change the lens,You can zoom to 2x remotely using the monitor
#7 VMAI 4.3” Video Baby Monitor – Best Range
The VMAI video monitor has a 1000 feet range. You can expect stable transmission, without glitching or any issues. It is available in the pack with one or two cameras, and the price tag is moderate.
The VMAI 4.3” Video Baby Monitor comes with a 4.3-inch large screen for parents. The adjustable VOX mode works by waking up the monitor to sound. Motion detection is also present in the monitor to alert you to baby’s movement. Therefore, it is a great monitor for babies of different ages.
The monitor is supported by a lifetime warranty, and has a two-way talk function, temperature sensor, and can be connected to four cameras max.
- Stable transmission
- Lifetime warranty and support
- Highly sensitive microphone
- Adjustable movement and sound-activated mode
- Long charging time
- The image quality isn’t the best
- ❤【4.3" High Quality LCD Display & Infrared Night Vision】The newest Day and Night Auto-Switch Infrared Night Vision is here for you showing what’s happened with your little angel on each second in the night. Knowing your baby safe & sound with VMAI 4.3’’ high quality LCD video baby monitor. Offer you a clearer real-time video and audio with 2x digital zoom and 360 degrees for the unattended baby.
- ❤【Motion Detection & VOX Wake-up Mode (ECO Mode) 】Motion detection can alarm if baby is moving without your attention. The screen will auto wake up and alarm will tell you as soon as baby is crying out (Only work in VOX mode). You can adjust the sensitive levels of both functions or switch them off if the frequently alarming bother your life.
- ❤【Two Way Talk & Temperature Monitoring】Equipped with the advanced and high-sensitivity microphone and speaker for clear two-way talk back audio conversations, allowing you to comfort promptly or play built-in lullabies to the baby when the baby is crying. Temperature Monitoring always making sure the most suitable room temperature is under control all day long with the alarm.
#8 Campark Video Baby Monitor – Best Sound Quality
The Campark Video Baby Monitor features an excellent battery with long runtime. The device has built-in Infrared lights for night vision. Moreover, both the sound clarity and image quality are good.
The VOX mode is efficient, and you will be alerted when the baby’s noise reaches a certain decibel level. That way, the device won’t bother you with unimportant gasps and other noises babies make. However, you can be sure to get alerted when the baby starts crying through a clear two-way communication channel.
You can check on the baby, or calm it down with your voice, or via lullabies.
- The monitor has customizable feeding reminder
- Simple setup and wall-mounting
- Excellent battery runtime
- Great video and sound quality for the price
- The camera has limited adjustments
- When you use two cameras, VOX mode is enabled only on one camera
No products found.
#9 Summer Glimpse Plus Video Baby Monitor – Best Design
If you are looking for a simple and easily accessible baby monitor, you can check the Summer Glimpse Plus Video Baby Monitor.
It comes with a 3.5-inch screen that features a convenient design. The screen shows you what happens in the nursery, while a small but accessible control panel simplifies setting the device.
The camera is compact, but it can swivel and rotate to provide you a better viewing angle. Digital zoom is great for looking into a detailed image of your baby.
Moreover, mounting the camera is quite easy, and you can complete it within minutes.
- Simple setup
- Easily accessible control panel
- VOX mode includes Sleep Zone virtual boundaries
- Excellent image quality
- Low battery and out of range indicators
- The screen is too bright
- Adjusting the volume is rough
- ADDED PEACE OF MIND - When baby sleeps well, the whole family sleeps well! The Summer Glimpse Plus Video Baby Monitor brings a greater level of peace of mind right into the hands of parents, so everyone sleeps better.
- COLOR LCD VIDEO DISPLAY SCREEN – This video monitor has an LCD color screen with automatic black and white night vision and a 3.5-inch display screen. Plus, room temperature display, remote digital zoom, two-way talk-back to baby and up to 1,000-ft range.
- BETTER VIEW OF BABY – The baby monitor with camera has an adjustable/swivel camera design that allows for optimal positioning for tabletop or wall-mounting, plus remote digital zoom so you can get a better view of baby with the press of one button.
#10 HeimVision HM132 Baby Monitor – Best for Travel
If you are planning a family trip, don’t forget your useful baby monitor. The HeimVision HM132 Baby Monitor is great for residential use and family trips. It even comes with an extra set of lenses to keep you backed up when you are on the go. Moreover, it includes a convenient holder for trips.
The HeimVision monitor has a 4.3-inch large screen, two-way talk-back feature, VOX, and split-screen mode. Because you can connect it with one more camera, you can use it to monitor two nurseries.
Overall, features such as night vision, built-in lullabies, VOX mode, and multiple camera settings, make the HeimVision device worth your attention.
- Free lens included
- Compact and easy to use
- It has a feeding reminder clock
- Good battery runtime
- Great construction
- It can be connected with two cameras max
- Unstable transmission within a range
No products found.
VOX Baby Monitor FAQs
VOX technology in baby monitors might be confusing to plenty of parents. Let’s go through some of the most common questions about these devices.
What’s the difference between VOX mode VS. Eco mode?
VOX and Eco mode are excellent energy-saving features, but they differ significantly. In VOX mode, the sound and video are off when the device doesn’t detect sound for a period time, usually 20 seconds. However, the monitor will immediately wake up when the baby makes sounds but not from movement.
In Eco mode, the device stops transmitting the sound and video after a time of inactivity, usually from 20 to 30 seconds long. Eco mode operates on different connection mode to conserve battery. It includes a 2-second ping mechanism (the device checks for activity every 2 seconds) instead of working on continuous radiofrequency as seen in VOX mode.
You can read more about Eco mode here, on the example of Philips baby monitor.
What are the tips on adjusting the sensitivity level of VOX baby monitors?
If you buy a VOX baby monitor with adjustable sensitivity, you can customize the alerts. The default level in VOX mode is the highest, so you probably want to adjust it a bit. When it is on the highest level, the monitor might not go into sleep mode.
Try to put it on a medium level or below, and test it for a few hours while you are present in the room with the baby. Make adjustments if the sensitivity isn’t enough.
Camera placement is also important, and the VOX sensitivity detects the best sounds when it is right above the crib.
Are voice-activated baby monitors safe?
VOX monitors are safe for many reasons. If you choose a non-wifi baby monitor with a VOX function, it won’t be connected to the internet, and therefore, won’t be prone to hacking. Most of the VOX monitors are non-wifi.
Also, they emit lower radiation levels than some other models because they work when the sound activates it. In sleep mode, the monitors don’t emit radiation.
Do sound-activated baby monitors emit less electric and magnetic field (EMF) radiation compared to non-VOX baby monitors?
VOX monitors emit five times less radiation than monitors without this feature. It is because the only microphone is on when the monitor is in sleep mode. Watch the video on a radiation detector test done in measuring EMF/RF radiation on wireless baby monitors:
I appreciate the sound quality, the simplicity of VOX mode, image quality, design, and other features of the HelloBaby HB65 Baby Monitor the most.
The VOX mode prolongs the battery runtime and calms me about the radiation levels of the baby monitoring devices. It has everything I need from a baby monitor – it’s easy to use, safe, affordable, and reliable.
What are the top features you are looking for in a VOX baby monitor? How worried are you about radiation from baby gear? Don’t forget to share the list with your friends, mums-to-be!
Last update on 2023-06-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API